Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
beretzs,

I've personally only shot-out/apart (1) 378Wby and it was of course a POS MK V. They made good on all of it,to their credit. Never outright abused,but simply shot the dog schit outta it.

Fairly good chambering...absolute schit rifle. Typical 9-lug arrangement.

Hint.

'348,

JOC was a product of his times and agenda. It's as tough to get giddy about a [bleep] 270 now,as it ever was...though the clueless swoon schit,which reliably arranges humor.

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and if the 270 was the one(or even [bleep] close),I'd simply have a herd. Though in fairness,I've never owned more than (5) at one time. I've prolly gunned a few platforms and in a few chamberings and am rather at ease in their extrapolations,founded in the first hand via copious trigger time. Hint.

I've gotta have a series of real good reasons to go L/A to start with and the 270 sure as [bleep] ain't gonna make ANY cut,from ANY angle. Laffin'!

Tell me about Partitions,adjustable rears and Blued/Walnut "satisfactions".

Laffin'!

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's clear that you know everything there is to know about practically everything, but I am the world's leading expert on what I like.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'348,

Oh I've more than passing familiarity,with more than a few thangs...if only to your chagrin. Laffin'!

I'd not wish to quell the power of your Imagination,nor slight the "satisfactions" you find in your Pretend and only hope you keep continuing to comment aloud about 'em. Mainly because it's [bleep] hilarious!

Here I was looking forward to a 270 Tutorial,from some who "does" and "knows" as "much" as you. Ain't hardly "fair",is it?!?

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Boxer
Cain't think of a single 100-grainer I'd fling in 6mm,shy of losing a bet. Perhaps that's why you cite "betting the snot out of you!!". Laffin'!

Didn't break a rifle yesterday,but did try to lose my crummy.

[Linked Image]

It's always sump tin'.(grin)

Ya, but the sump tin was all on me grin The driver side was about all down hill, but the slide wasn't in the original plan. Should have just dragged the Deer up and over.

[Linked Image]

Had to call in the rescue team.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 03/30/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure your mother's very proud.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'tue,

I was trying purty hard,to rattle it offa 750' or so rock cliff and nearly got it did.

Had it all to myself.(grin)

'348,

LOVE your Whine!

I'll feign my "surprise",that yet another [bleep] Clueless Window Licker...is more than a little bit uncomfy trying to talk The Rifle. I wonder why that is?!? Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brings to mind the first thought that popped into my head when I saw Beyonce in a spandex jumpsuit

"What an ass!"

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'348,

You Whining Do Nothing Kchunt...ANYTHING but The Rifle. Pun be intended Laffin'!

I'd not slight your fascination with Spandex.

You "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Much like Boxer, I prefer the .270 and 140 NBTs. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well my 3006 then my 3006 then my 350 rem.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a couple of 25-06's for shooting across the fields and Marlin 336's in 30-30 and .35 for the woods. One rifle for as a fun cartridge is a 250/3000 because "Steelhead" said so.....HMMM!

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My finding in the last 8 or so years is that the 308 kills [bleep] in Montana just fine.

I laid in a supply of 165 Speep BTSPs, and a couple 8 pounders of Varget. I clock those at 2750, and everything I've shot with one died.

I've shot up a pile of 260 ammo as well, and that's a badass cartridge as well. 100 grain Ballistic Tips [bleep] up antelope pretty good, and Whitetails too.

Lately, my fascination has been with a G20 in 10MM. I've basically been dupin' the Buffalo Bore 220 hardcast load with Blue Dot. 1250 in a 4.6" barrel is serious juju for a bottom feeder.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Boxer,
If I wanted a single cartridge to shoot deer and elk with out to 400yds., what would you recommend?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
400yds isn't nearly as "far" Today...as it was 20yrs or more ago. Mainly because you can KNOW the distance and NOTHING will up connect percentages,in similar fashion as known distance and good boolits. 400yds+++++ is short action territory. Hint. Handy/dandy trumps all. Re-hint.

Now of course Today,Critters don't die any differently than they ever have,but reliably Dealing Death has never been so [bleep] easy. Again,due mainly to known distance. Hint.

I'd simply choose a boolit first and give it a thunk,in how I wanted to launch it. That thunk would include twist,throat,S/S spout(as a minimum),a synthetic handle,good mounts,good glass and a buncha trigger time. All of which is easily arranged and if you wasn't careful,you could have a GREAT [bleep] time doing it. A good LRF being a given. Hint.

I'd skirt 25's and 8mm's,due boolits,if only because there are vastly superior results available in other diameters,for like or less recoil. Hint.

Practice cain't be purchased and everyone is concocting reasons/ways to circumvent that portion of the equation,which is the BEST part of The Rifle,which I'll never [bleep] understand.

As a worst case scenario...noone hates 308's more than I,but I could take a newb with a NIB Montucky chambered same,set a 6x42 wearing M1 ele atop it in LW's,feed it good ammo(Skinners) and shoot cleans on 400yd clay birds until bored with doing same. That'd be aboutta #2 on the ascending Relative "Difficulty" Scale,with pouring coffee being a #1. Hint. That factoring a coupla minutes to ascertain correct assembly and tweak the trigger. Re-hint.

A guy makes his own "luck" and schit will reliably be as easy as you make it. Hint.

Cracks me up,how reliably stupid,people do schit.

Headed out to play with a new fast twist 243AI.(grin)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Boxer, my train of thought is the 7mm08 for a number of reasons, one is bullet selection,the other is rifle selection.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Thanks Boxer, my train of thought is the 7mm08 for a number of reasons, one is bullet selection,the other is rifle selection.

Good choice. Way better than the .243 wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Boxer:

What is your thunkings on 8 twist 3 groove Pac-Nor barrels, I have burnt a couple similar Liljas, But this barrel seems to have huge lands.??. Shoots very well Standard 243. 1000 rounds plus down and could pass as a virgin

All moly 105 amax and 1000 rounds, looks like a virgin. Although there must be a lot of corrosion as I have not cleaned for 400 rounds and have read Varmint Al's treatise on moly and corrosion. The moly corrosion is hard to discern, and the barrel shoots great. I know there are very complex requirements as to cleaning moly fired barrels. I just swab with GM TEC every 300 rounds Would you just trash this barrel.. or continue to shoot? What are your thinkings about moly? I know it causes pressure spikes after a few rounds and is hard to apply and clean up.. which is why I'm pretty sure this barrel is toast

All this makes I am going in the wrong direction?

Thanks,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
.300wby for me, shot africa with it 3 times now, its good for here in aus where i get a few longer shots and still hits hard enough for the buffalo....although not perfect mild on recoil, mine is a outfitter ultralight from wby and my wife shelley who is about 115lbs shoots it and loves it as well. I load mine with 155gr aussie custom projectiles......well i should because i own them, but previous to that run barnes

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 10at6
Hey Boxer:

What is your thunkings on 8 twist 3 groove Pac-Nor barrels, I have burnt a couple similar Liljas, But this barrel seems to have huge lands.??. Shoots very well Standard 243. 1000 rounds plus down and could pass as a virgin

All moly 105 amax and 1000 rounds, looks like a virgin. Although there must be a lot of corrosion as I have not cleaned for 400 rounds and have read Varmint Al's treatise on moly and corrosion. The moly corrosion is hard to discern, and the barrel shoots great. I know there are very complex requirements as to cleaning moly fired barrels. I just swab with GM TEC every 300 rounds Would you just trash this barrel.. or continue to shoot? What are your thinkings about moly? I know it causes pressure spikes after a few rounds and is hard to apply and clean up.. which is why I'm pretty sure this barrel is toast

All this makes I am going in the wrong direction?

Thanks,

It looks like a virgin and shoots very well but you think it's toast?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
1tn',

I've heard of the 7-08,but have never seen or shot one. Looking on paper and reading about it,one would think it would do just fine?!?

Spill your guts,if you plunge...mebbe you can nudge me in a similar direction.

Thanks!

Dooshmike,

The 243Win is no good on Game and is strictly a Varmint chambering.

Savage99 said so and she nearly shot one,once.

Though it were decades ago.(grin)

'at6,

I hear good thangs.

Moly is hygroscopic too and would be a poor choice anywhere other than arid regions.

I clean every 10rds,except during break-in,which is every shot.

bat',

Like most of Roy's stuff,the chamberings are far better than the rifles. Have had more than a few on 700's,where it shines rather brightly and mebbe even a few 30-8mmRemMags to boot.

Often wondered how it'd fair with Skinners?

'Photog,

More toast...from minutes ago.

8" Bart',243AI,308 Lapooie Virgins sized for positive headspace,87'Max kiss and enough Oooomph to form nicely.

First load tried and it'll keep 'em touching at 100.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Most,if not all of which,will fly over pointy heads and tinfoil hats,which is of course the best part.(grin)

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.