Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 39 40
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good show Mark! Thanks for sharing your fun with us. That bear should have been fat and good eating.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by safariman
The near miss does not distract from the effort and patience required to get an opportunity, or the size of the bear.

Tells me all I need to know about your ethics and character as a "hunter", Mark. Misplaced shots certainly happen, but not many people have the nerve to celebrate them with "hero" pics and delusions of grandeur. Don't let me spoil the fun, though. Keep pretending that you've really done something noble here while ignoring the agony that bear suffered for hours and hours at the hands of your inability to accurately shoot a .340 Assissoreus. Bravo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kend
Good show Mark! Thanks for sharing your fun with us. That bear should have been fat and good eating.

He WAS! A good 4 inches of fat along his backstrap area, and so far the eating part has been quite good.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
The near miss does not distract from the effort and patience required to get an opportunity, or the size of the bear.

Tells me all I need to know about your ethics and character as a "hunter", Mark. Misplaced shots certainly happen, but not many people have the nerve to celebrate them with "hero" pics and delusions of grandeur. Don't let me spoil the fun, though. Keep pretending that you've really done something noble here while ignoring the agony that bear suffered for hours and hours at the hands of your inability to accurately shoot a .340 Assissoreus. Bravo.

Even the best hunter misses sometimes, and sometimes due to circumstances beyond our control the wounded animal can't be recovered until the next morning. Sometimes the animal is dead when found, sometimes it's alive and suffering.

I've helped friends search in the dark for wounded deer on several occasions. In one case I found the buck about 2 hours after sunset on a black-as-coal night, nearly fell over him in the thick stuff. He'd been spined, but he still tried to hook me with his antlers and nearly got me.

Poking around in dense bush on a steep hillside in the dark looking for a possibly wounded deer is one thing. Doing the same when it's a 500+ pound bear is another thing altogether, a potential recipe for disaster. Black bears, especially big ones, are capable of terrific ferocity. Waiting for first light to find him was IMHO the smart thing to do, and certainly not "unethical". Putting your life unnecessarily at risk is not "ethical".

I'm sure Mark regrets the animal's suffering, he's not an azzhat. And just because he didn't get a clean kill on this bear doesn't mean he isn't entitled to rejoice in the success of his hunt.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/02/14. Reason: Out of respect for 8SNAKE

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

A really happy JJhack and Safariman together at the bear kill site:

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the story and pics, Mark, I really enjoyed your post!

As noted above, it's very sad that the bear had to suffer through the night, but these things happen. I'm glad Jim found & finished him in short order once it was safe to do so.

I can't help but notice how long this bear's muzzle is... very unusual, but his ears and dish-face are clearly blackie.

I think your neighbor's "recovery vehicle" is a damn smart idea. Even if you'd not had your health issues, getting that bear up and out of there in such warm temps would've been dicey.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget to include me when you're passing around your non compliments.

That wasn't a successful hunt in my book, it was the end to a chitshow.

I guarantee there's lots of folks sitting on their hands when they read about this on all three forums. Sorry, I'm not one of them.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I'm sure Mark regrets the animal's suffering, he's not an azzhat. And just because he didn't get a clean kill on this bear doesn't mean he isn't entitled to rejoice in the success of his hunt.

Your post says a lot more about your character than it does about Mark's, it seems to me. And I'm not paying you a compliment here.

This isn't about a misplaced shot and the choice not to attempt recovery at night. We all know those things happen and are very unfortunate. How and why they happen is another story, though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
SNAKE, I agree with you that how and why bad stuff happens important. But I don't think there's enough information in Mark's story for me to judge the how and why in this case, and that's why I don't believe it's fair to cast aspersions on his ethics and character. I could make assumptions, but I didn't and won't.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sorry RL, I don't care to pizz in your cornflakes this morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, is it legal for JJ to administer the coup de gr�ce?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It was the right thing to do.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Right and legal is not always in the same sentence....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SNAKE, I agree with you that how and why bad stuff happens important. But I don't think there's enough information in Mark's story for me to judge the how and why in this case, and that's why I don't believe it's fair to cast aspersions on his ethics and character. I could make assumptions, but I didn't and won't.

Read about it in the rifle forum if you care to fill in the blanks.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Correct. My post in this forum came after reading the other threads about this "success" and Mark's attitude toward rifle cartridges, shot selection and what "real" hunting is all about. The dots connected themselves rather easily.

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 04/02/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....as I would not have dared the shot with anything sub 30 caliber, and not many 30 cal's either. 300WBY, yeah, probably. 308? No way in heck! Not that I couldn't have hit him with a 308, but it was a lot EASIER to hit this beast with my big gun, and I had total confidence in its ability to anchor him with a decent hit. We do not always get to pick a broadside shot or a close enough shot for a little gun.

Let me go grab some popcorn here real quick

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
JIm had to put a finisher in the bear

So, is it legal for JJ to administer the coup de gr�ce?

This will cause JIM some headaches in a lot of states.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
....as I would not have dared the shot with anything sub 30 caliber, and not many 30 cal's either. 300WBY, yeah, probably. 308? No way in heck! Not that I couldn't have hit him with a 308, but it was a lot EASIER to hit this beast with my big gun, and I had total confidence in its ability to anchor him with a decent hit. We do not always get to pick a broadside shot or a close enough shot for a little gun.

And you keep amazing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry RL, I don't care to pizz in your cornflakes this morning.

I'd like to schidt in a nailbox and put it in the floorboard of his truck.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by smokepole

Right and legal is not always in the same sentence....

I'm acutely aware of that. The point being, if JJ did the right thing and risked getting cited for it, why point that out on a public forum? He's not the one who ass-shot the bear.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Correct. My post in this forum came after reading the other threads about this "success" and Mark's attitude toward rifle cartridges, shot selection and what "real" hunting is all about. The dots connected themselves rather easily.

I appreciate the heads-up, 8SNAKE, I'll go check it out when I get some time later. I didn't realize there was more to the story than what's in the OP of this thread.

It appears I owe you an apology for casting aspersions on your character, now.

Page 3 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,689
Posts18,513,578
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.