Hop To
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Sorry RL, I don't care to pizz in your cornflakes this morning.

I'd like to schidt in a nailbox and put it in the floorboard of his truck.

grin

Don't sugarcoat it, TAK, tell us how you REALLY feel...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
225gr3100FPS and ....."In my scope I watched in total excitment as the bear just folded up, dropped to the ground, and rolled down the steep hill....."

Was the 350 yd shot made with a recoiless rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by smokepole
It was the right thing to do.

Right and legal is not always in the same sentence....

I'm acutely aware of that. The point being, if JJ did the right thing and risked getting cited for it, why point that out on a public forum? He's not the one who ass-shot the bear.

I think the OP lit that one up,

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True, but to tell the truth, I never gave the legality of it a second thought after reading the OP. In any case, I'm not discussing it any more.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
225gr3100FPS and ....."In my scope I watched in total excitment as the bear just folded up, dropped to the ground, and rolled down the steep hill....."

No, of course not. But at that distance, the field of view is quite large in a good scope. I have watched animals fold iin my scope before.

RE the "azz shot" The shot looked and felt really good when the rifle went Ka Boom. By the reaction of the bear and the look and feel of the shot, I rreally believed that I, and later we, were merely looking for a very dead bear. As it turns out I made an error in failing to calculate the bears forward speed and progress during the time of the rifle going off and the bullet striking 350 yards away. I have made simlilar shots and longer ones many times, including a black bear at a lazered 408 which also dropped on the spot and was dead as soon as his belly touched the dirt. I thought this was the same scenario, and only after recovery of the bear did I figure out where my error was. In the excitment of a hunt, and seeing what was for me the black bear of a lifetime, it was a simple, easy and relatively minor shooting error. the miss was by inches, and the hit was not in the "azz" liks some have mis quoted. It was a forward raking shot that landed a bit too far back but was an anchoring shot that looked like and felt like a DRT kill shot.

And yes, this bear and others have caused me to appreciate my bigger rifles and learn to shoot them well. Some, whose hunting territories and methods are different can and do get along with different armament. Heck, lots of my old houndsmen friends killed truckloads of bears with 30/30's and 44 leverguns and revolvers. Fit the rifle, cartridge and bullet to YOUR hunting type, style and game. In my case and my region, the big boomers ahve a real place and give a bit of a margin that I appreciate. Anyone can make a shooting error while hunting and I freely admit that I made one on that day. I am still very proud of my bear, and have very fond memories of that weekend, however. The name calling naysayers cannot change that. And, excepting Boxer who really does have a valid opoinion and room to talk based on real world experience, I do not recall seeing or hearing very many hunting stories from most of the naysayers of late, come to think of it.

Much easier to be a Monday Morning armchair QB full of "I woulda's". Always has been that way so this thread and its sometimes negative content is no big surprise. Like I said a couple of pages ago, these few name callers are consistent and predictable and thus, of little effect to me now. I still enjoyed posting my story and my bear and I am proud of both, as well as my rifle whose cartridge is my own creation.

Find a guy who has never made a mistake, and I will show you a man who has also attempted to DO very little of anything.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I appreciate the heads-up, 8SNAKE, I'll go check it out when I get some time later. I didn't realize there was more to the story than what's in the OP of this thread.

It appears I owe you an apology for casting aspersions on your character, now.

No worries, Doc. You couldn't have known otherwise and I didn't allude to anything in my (admittedly very harsh) reply. Wounding animals due to poor shot selection is one of my hot buttons and Mark didn't even make the slightest apology for wounding that bear. He just glossed over all of the bad stuff that happened and focused on the "hero" pics and high fives. He also seems to think that a big-bore rifle slinging boolits at uber-speed gives one freedom to take any shot that presents itself because such combinations are magic rays of death, except this one time when it didn't quite work out. No big deal, though. Unless you're the bear...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

No, of course not. But at that distance, the field of view is quite large in a good scope. I have watched animals fold iin my scope before.

RE the "azz shot" The shot looked and felt really good when the rifle went Ka Boom. By the reaction of the bear and the look and feel of the shot, I rreally believed that I, and later we, were merely looking for a very dead bear. As it turns out I made an error in failing to calculate the bears forward speed and progress during the time of the rifle going off and the bullet striking 350 yards away. I have made simlilar shots and longer ones many times, including a black bear at a lazered 408 which also dropped on the spot and was dead as soon as his belly touched the dirt. I thought this was the same scenario, and only after recovery of the bear did I figure out where my error was. In the excitment of a hunt, and seeing what was for me the black bear of a lifetime, it was a simple, easy and relatively minor shooting error. the miss was by inches, and the hit was not in the "azz" liks some have mis quoted. It was a forward raking shot that landed a bit too far back but was an anchoring shot that looked like and felt like a DRT kill shot.

And yes, this bear and others have caused me to appreciate my bigger rifles and learn to shoot them well. Some, whose hunting territories and methods are different can and do get along with different armament. Heck, lots of my old houndsmen friends killed truckloads of bears with 30/30's and 44 leverguns and revolvers. Fit the rifle, cartridge and bullet to YOUR hunting type, style and game. In my case and my region, the big boomers ahve a real place and give a bit of a margin that I appreciate. Anyone can make a shooting error while hunting and I freely admit that I made one on that day. I am still very proud of my bear, and have very fond memories of that weekend, however. The name calling naysayers cannot change that. And, excepting Boxer who really does have a valid opoinion and room to talk based on real world experience, I do not recall seeing or hearing very many hunting stories from most of the naysayers of late, come to think of it.

Much easier to be a Monday Morning armchair QB full of "I woulda's". Always has been that way so this thread and its sometimes negative content is no big surprise. Like I said a couple of pages ago, these few name callers are consistent and predictable and thus, of little effect to me now. I still enjoyed posting my story and my bear and I am proud of both, as well as my rifle whose cartridge is my own creation.

Find a guy who has never made a mistake, and I will show you a man who has also attempted to DO very little of anything.

That's something you should have put in your story instead of waiting to be called out on it. If it would have happened to me that way, I'd have included it in the story but it's your story and you tell it how you see fit.

That bears a pig and i'm glad you were able to recover it. Congrats!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

What scope was used and at what power if a variable? What is the weight of the rifle? Muzzle brake?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

What scope was used and at what power if a variable? What is the weight of the rifle? Muzzle brake?

Scope is a 2-10x44 Burris EuroDiamond Posi Lock. No brake, rifle goes about 11 lbs loaded and ready to hunt.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Doc
I think all of us have wounded an animal and sometimes they get left over night. Whatever it sucks but it happens no issue there.

The megalomania like attitude is what turns folks off.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

That's something you should have put in your story instead of waiting to be called out on it. If it would have happened to me that way, I'd have included it in the story but it's your story and you tell it how you see fit.

That bears a pig and i'm glad you were able to recover it. Congrats!

Thank you for the congrat's, I tried to put that stuff in the story, but not well enough I guess. From my post:

"as I had not taken into account the bears forward motion when I held on his back ribs for a kill shot. During the time I touched off the round and it arrived on site, the bear had moved forward some and I had hit, and busted up, his hips and furthest rearward verterbrae."

I had a good rest with my shooting sticks, was calm and rested, seated on a hillside, had my sling up and around my upper arm, and for all the world had every reason to believe that I had just made a DRT kill shot, just like other bears and Elk etc. I have taken at long range.

No one wants to allow an animal to suffer, and especially not me. We have a house FULL of rescue pets here, and Sherri and I have been trying to live catch a squirrel with a broken leg near here. Plan is to pay to have his leg fixed on our dime if we can catch him. If anyone suggests that I revel in the pain of an animal they simply do not know me and are dead wrong.

Being human, though, I can occasionally miss by a bit. Take enough shots at big game, and you will, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the congrat's, I tried to put that stuff in the story, but not well enough I guess. From my post:

"as I had not taken into account the bears forward motion when I held on his back ribs for a kill shot. During the time I touched off the round and it arrived on site, the bear had moved forward some and I had hit, and busted up, his hips and furthest rearward verterbrae."

Here's a gem from one of your other rah-rah threads about this hunt...

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums. The scene.... A VERY large, probably once in a lifetime for me, fat, bowlegged, male black bear. Quartering away and about to get away, 350 yards out.

I would not have tried this shot with a 223, 243, or any other sub 30 caliber bullet, and I was lovin my uberfast wildcat big 33 when the opportunity came along to poke this guy, and hard.

Ask yourselves after you look at my photos of this years bear and read my report if you would have made an attempted shot with a rifle that was much less than mine in power and capabilities.

What would YOU have wanted in your hands, with the always very real possibility of a less than ideal shot placement? And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

You like to believe that people come after you unjustly, but the truth is usually far from it. You post crap like this, let the dog pile build up, play the role of the victim and proceed to rearrange the story line in an attempt to reflect better upon yourself. The script is old and very predictable, but you keep reading from it. There was a time when I felt sorry for some of the abuse you took, but that day is long gone. I believe you revel in the drama that's created in these threads, which is quite sad. I hope better for you, Mark. I have for quite some time. Perhaps you'll turn things around some day.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
So, you say you busted it's hips, and it's rear most vertebrae. A bears tail is right behind its rearmost vertebrae(in fact it could be considered it's rearmost vertebrae). Where is a bears tail? On it's [bleep] ass! Then a few posts later you claim you didn't hit it in the ass. Gimme a break. Maybe if you would have had a caliber you could actually shoot, instead of filching from the recoil of your macho uber rifle, you would have made a good shot, not wounded a bear, and then left it lay there to suffer for hours. Much less post pictures of your smug self and brag all over the internet about how great you are. Geeeeezus, it just keeps getting better. A simple picture of the bear, and an "I got one" would have been much better than what you posted. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I care too much about the animals I pursue and the sport I love.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He also said the shot "well-anchored" the bear, yet two guys looking for it didn't find it, despite a blood trail. Didn't sound very "well-anchored" to me but it's possible I'm missing something.

And yes, I'm familiar with tracking and recovering animals after dark in thick stuff. If you're not prepared to do that, don't take a shot at dusk.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The man followed up the next day, recovered the animal and apparently saved the meat. A lot of you mofos need to just move on and get a life.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I want to see a better pic.of the pick up with 2 full miles of 5/8" cable! That is almost 8000 lbs. of cable alone,plus the weight of the winch.Must have uber duty springs!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saved the meat because the animal was still alive.

Good thing about telling your own story is, you can make it what you want. A bad shot that allows the animal to wander off and suffer all night becomes a shot that "well-anchored" the animal.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Scope is a 2-10x44 Burris EuroDiamond Posi Lock. No brake, rifle goes about 11 lbs loaded and ready to hunt.

What power was your scope adjusted to for the shot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimH
I want to see a better pic.of the pick up with 2 full miles of 5/8" cable! That is almost 8000 lbs. of cable alone,plus the weight of the winch.Must have uber duty springs!

Dude, you should have been there. It was UBER..... EVERYTHING.
Not one bit was un-UBER.
Including awesome.... UBERED.
Kinda like UBER squared, only with more UBER.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The man followed up the next day, recovered the animal and apparently saved the meat. A lot of you mofos need to just move on and get a life.

If you have no problem with people taking poor shots, animals being wounded, and left to suffer for hours, and then bragging about it, maybe you're the mofo that needs a new hobby? I hear knitting is nice.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,552
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.