Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't eat the stinky ones, go for a young sow. Barbecue the back straps, use a sweet-ish sauce. We served some to guests who ate almost no meat, and they loved it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats what Ive heard, sows only and head shots only�.thanks for the tip!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums.

I know a guy that killed a brown bear with a 225gr copper bullet screaming along at a whopping 2650FPS. From the story, IIRC, it pinned the bear in place - no tracking.

Big, silly name on/or need for a magnum rifle? Not that guy, not on THAT hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, it's possible I just got lucky, I haven't eaten a lot of them, and they all came from one ranch in S. Texas. But they were good!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't know what is better, the OP's inability to handle a big gun, or dragging an animal prized for its hide through the dirt, rocks and bushes with a winch.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I don't know what is better, the OP's inability to handle a big gun, or dragging an animal prized for its hide through the dirt, rocks and bushes with a winch.

And a chain around the neck....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Horrible.

Awful.

Just... no.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

And a chain around the neck....

Hey now, it's not just about the hide, you've gotta tenderize the meat, too.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Boxer
375H&H AI/270FS

What??? No 223AI or 243AI with them little bitty varmint bullets? Ah I see you still just had to AI the Queen! What a shame that's just gay!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums.

I know a guy that killed a brown bear with a 225gr copper bullet screaming along at a whopping 2650FPS. From the story, IIRC, it pinned the bear in place - no tracking.

Big, silly name on/or need for a magnum rifle? Not that guy, not on THAT hunt.

Pretty sure I have heard about that guy too. Name is Scott Kane or something like that? Hunted with some guy named Steve Johnson...?

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Bear_story_or_The_proper_way#Post8739123

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums. The scene.... A VERY large, probably once in a lifetime for me, fat, bowlegged, male black bear. Quartering away and about to get away, 350 yards out.

I would not have tried this shot with a 223, 243, or any other sub 30 caliber bullet, and I was lovin my uberfast wildcat big 33 when the opportunity came along to poke this guy, and hard.

Ask yourselves after you look at my photos of this years bear and read my report if you would have made an attempted shot with a rifle that was much less than mine in power and capabilities.

What would YOU have wanted in your hands, with the always very real possibility of a less than ideal shot placement? And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

Yeah. I would. Lots more where this came from in the Scenar thread including bull elk MUCH bigger than your bear (which is a dandy, BTW). And all with a 'target' bullet. But whatever.

And in case anyone missed it...

.308 with ONE SHOT and no suffering. So much for 'enough gun'...

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

530 meters broadside 155gr scenar.

[Linked Image]

450 meters with same bullet and same exact result.

I've got a pal who uses the 155's out of his .30/.338 at 3200+ they work for him too.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner

Pretty sure I have heard about that guy too. Name is Scott Kane or something like that?
Tanner

Yeah, something like that. Hear he's an azzhat too. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'slave,

Don't hardly seem "fair",do it?!?(grin)

I believe you make a great point,in that there ain't a chambering "big" enough,to turn a schit poke by a schit shot,into sumptin' it ain't.

Funny how it actually works.

'gwe,

Sissy always could mug a camera.

Thank SuperKchunt for traipsing along on all the Adventures and using her mad photo skeelz to document same.

Laffin'!

SK',

I've an aged Hornet from a Sourdough,that's killed more Brownies than you could Imagine.

Hell...more than Bigsqueeze could Imagine.

Laffin'!

'223,

Mebbe if one roots rubs around in enough dirt...they get "better"?!?

Laffin'!

aalf,

That is a Tactical Tow Device...not a "chain".

BIG difference and you'll do well to correct in deference to those marked differences!

Laffin'!

'flave,

Nawwwwwww...it's quite a [bleep] bit better than that.(grin)

Mild Bill,

I don't get to shoot as much as you,or "do" nearly as much...as I'm fraught with doing a whole [bleep] of a lot more than you could Imagine or Pretend.

100 grainer DRT,to really get your Do Nothing Day Dreaming Kchunt,Whining a bit more. Apologizin' in advance,for it's magnitude too. My bad. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Perhaps wax eloquent some more,on all the things you almost did,all the wares you almost did it with and all the places you almost did 'em.

Laffin'!

Tanner,

I've seen good boolits,in good places,do great thangs and the part of the puzzle which played the slightest role...was/is the headstamp.

Very few is worth a [bleep] with a Boomer,as this Thread poignantly reiterates,though obliviously.(grin)

Mojo,

Noone hates 308 more than I.

155 Skinner/DRT and more Booner.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed four...two with a bow, flinging 125gr thunderhead...both piled up real quick.

The other two were rifle kills....280/139 Hornie, '06/150 Grand slam.

Both bullets are still going....

Black bears are not hard to kill.

Guys shoot 600-700lb'rs in Pa, every year with .308's, .243's, shooting corelokts etc...

Tony

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer,

I've noted, and often mentioned to others, that with all the rifles/chamberings you have/had I most often see your .223 Montucky in tow.

I seem to recall something about 'you can't beat light done right' and 'boolits matter more than headstamps'. Just can't recall where I heard that.... wink

The irony is that it's proved by all the posts of kills made with 'inadequate' calipers/chamberings AND by the stories of schitty results with those who use 'enough gun'!

Guess I'll stick with my itty bitty inadequate .223 and un-suxed .308 with Scenars...

P.S. What kind of winch you got in your Tacoma??? laugh

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer,
Here I was fixing to brag about my UBER 105 Max phoucing up an Idaho dink @ 350.
I near went to JeffO mode of stomp in' after you and sister ruined my life.

P.S. I didn't have to call out a search party either.
Good thing. There were no friends to call. Or cable.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thats what Ive heard, sows only and head shots only�.thanks for the tip!

That's what she said

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hicountry
I've killed four...two with a bow, flinging 125gr thunderhead...both piled up real quick.

The other two were rifle kills....280/139 Hornie, '06/150 Grand slam.

Both bullets are still going....

Black bears are not hard to kill.

Guys shoot 600-700lb'rs in Pa, every year with .308's, .243's, shooting corelokts etc...

Tony

Yeah and guys in PA here wound plenty too because of those Core-Lokts. I've been on plenty of other guys blood trails in bear season, a number of which ended with no bear at the other end. I've noticed a trend during this time. And that is that guys love to use light for caliber bullets, Core-Lokts and Power shoks, and shoot bear in the shoulder. If guys wouldve just bought some Partitions I think more of them would have had bear rugs but Core-Lokts are "good enough" or so the thinking goes. Keep in mind I'm talking about bear drives here. Usually about 30 yard shots and usually on the move. Also most of the "marksmen" in question sighted in their rifles the day before bear season and that was the first they fired it since last year. Recipe for disaster. Still I think controlled expansion bullets would have upped the percentages.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
aalf,
That is a Tactical Tow Device...not a "chain".

BIG difference and you'll do well to correct in deference to those marked differences!

Maybe a Mister T starter kit......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember right, somewhere back in the archives one can find pics/info of Dober slaying a blackie with a .22-250. Clearly faked. Not on THAT hunt!

Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (AussieGunWriter, benchman, BALLISTIK, 35, 9 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,240
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.