Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The man followed up the next day, recovered the animal and apparently saved the meat. A lot of you mofos need to just move on and get a life.

Apparently other "mofos" (as you so eloquently put it) need to spend more time thinking about what it means to take a life. The day I celebrate crippling an animal with "hero" shots and a myriad of self-aggrandizing internet posts is the day I want my friends to forcibly stop me from hunting again. I wouldn't deserve the privilege.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
The man followed up the next day, recovered the animal and apparently saved the meat. A lot of you mofos need to just move on and get a life.

Apparently other "mofos" (as you so eloquently put it) need to spend more time thinking about what it means to take a life. The day I celebrate crippling an animal with "hero" shots and a myriad of self-aggrandizing internet posts is the day I want my friends to forcibly stop me from hunting again. I wouldn't deserve the privilege.
VERY well said!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What the F-U-C-K do you know about hunting?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by safariman
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Bear_story_or_The_proper_way#Post8739123

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums. The scene.... A VERY large, probably once in a lifetime for me, fat, bowlegged, male black bear. Quartering away and about to get away, 350 yards out.

I would not have tried this shot with a 223, 243, or any other sub 30 caliber bullet, and I was lovin my uberfast wildcat big 33 when the opportunity came along to poke this guy, and hard.

Ask yourselves after you look at my photos of this years bear and read my report if you would have made an attempted shot with a rifle that was much less than mine in power and capabilities.

What would YOU have wanted in your hands, with the always very real possibility of a less than ideal shot placement? And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

Yeah. I would. Lots more where this came from in the Scenar thread including bull elk MUCH bigger than your bear (which is a dandy, BTW). And all with a 'target' bullet. But whatever.

And in case anyone missed it...

.308 with ONE SHOT and no suffering. So much for 'enough gun'...

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

530 meters broadside 155gr scenar.

[Linked Image]

450 meters with same bullet and same exact result.

I've got a pal who uses the 155's out of his .30/.338 at 3200+ they work for him too.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.
Good thing Pat UBERD that rifle first.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No secret that I cannot hunt and get around like I would like, want, or used to. Fortunately for me I have made friends with a family near here who have lots of old growth, grown over orchards on their property as well as loads of berries and little drizzley creeks in the canyon floors. If a guy is patient, and quiet for a few days he can watch a hillside or saddle in between orchards and sometimes at last light in the fall catch a glimpse of a bear on the move. This is now my preffered method of hunting just about anything. Sit, glass and sshoot.

Last fall, just a few days before bear season opened up, JJHack (Jim Hackewicz), the landowner and I rode quads up to check out a few of thes saddles or natural crossings and I spotted a size XXL bear moving in between brush patches. Jim - who has LOADS more experience in judging bears than I - confirmed that this was indeed a big bear. I quit scouting and from that moment on I was not hunting for a bear, I was hunting for THIS bear. I saw the bear one other time in the open for a moment when the season was open, but the range was close to 500 yards so I held my fire - barely...... A few days later I was back up on that same mountain but positioned myself so that if the bear showed in the same place, I would be close enough for a fairly decent, apx 200 yards, shot.

As it happens in hunting, I would have been better off in my original glassing spot as the bear appeared directly across the canyon from where I HAD been sitting and waiting. But, I had lazered the opening where the bear now was before settling in for the evening and knew it to be almost exactly 350 yards. That range is a dead on hold for my wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur pushing 225gr Barnes TTSX's at a full chronographed 3100fps. So, that is what I did. I held on the rear ribs of the quartering away bear and touched off a BIG chunk of solid copper at very high speed.

In my scope I watched in total excitment as the bear just folded up, dropped to the ground, and rolled down the steep hill. A couple of seconds later that wonderful, familiar ka-WHOP sound of a good, hard hit reached my ears and I literally jumped up in joy and thrilling feelings.

By the time I got to the other side of the canyon and onto the trail of the bear, it was getting very dark and I was begining to take falls and near falls among the blowdowns and blackberry and rose bush tangles.

I called for some help from the landowners, and they came and found blood and got (as it turned out,) very close to the bear but no luck that night before it became far too dangerous to go on.

As soon as I got within cell phone service areas I called my good friend Jim Hackewicz (JJHack from here) and requested his assitance the next morning. In addition to his help, the landowner, who is also an avid hunter, fired up his old full size 4x truck with a commercial fishermans net winch mounted in the bed! This thing in immense, and carry's TWO FULL MILES of 5/8 inch steel cable on it! The truck with winch was parked directly above where we believed the bear to be, and Jim found the shortly thereafter while I was covering the possible escape routes. JIm had to put a finisher in the bear with his 44 Magnum revolver as I had not taken into account the bears forward motion when I held on his back ribs for a kill shot. During the time I touched off the round and it arrived on site, the bear had moved forward some and I had hit, and busted up, his hips and furthest rearward verterbrae. So, the bear was well anchored, but still needed a finishing shot from Jims gun.

With MUCH excitement, hollering, adrenaline and thusly plenty of scratches and bruises in getting all the way TO my bear, this is the nasty, straight up steep, thorn filled scene where he fell:

[Linked Image]

A really happy JJhack and Safariman together at the bear kill site:

[Linked Image]

Then came time for the work.....

1) Call in the big rig:

[Linked Image]

2) haul the cable straight down to Mr. Bear:

[Linked Image]

3) Place an appropriate collar on the new "pet" bear:

[Linked Image]

4) then UP we go!

[Linked Image]

5) and up, some more! (amazing how well this works....) :

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/MyBEAR016_zpsa3b44f18.jpg[/img]

And then, out come the stinky innerparts for coyote bait:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/MyBEAR025_zpsb32c3874.jpg[/img]

This photo give another good idea or representation of just how BBIG this bear is! 1/2 of him is in the truck in the photo above.

And finally, more happy, hero type pictures:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/38380036_zps134eeb03.jpg[/img]

For size reference, I am 6'3" tall, I weigh in at 250, and this bear was and is a lot bigger than me. Meat is in the freezer, rug mount should be finished this month some time.

It had been a couple of years since I shot a bear, I had not felt like going but with this scenario I was able to make a hunt work out. I am still pretty thrilled with my fair chase, no bait or hounds bear, and by far my largest black bear. Right at 19 inches of skull, squared. I will let you all guess his live weight, I only know for sure it was a LOT. Jim and I could bbear-ly ( smile ) budge him to set up the photos, and we are both ppretty muscular, strong guys, even though my joints hurt a lot.

Sorry it took so long to post these, They are from my I phone and I did not know how to get them into photobucket until very recently. Oh well, it was fun just now re living and telling the story! I hope you enjoyed it, as well.

MARK

Congrats, that head looks like a Brown Bear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever seen any in person?

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another backslap for a total goatfpuck.

This forum is worse than anything on Gaybeard.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
safariman he needs to post these stories when larry root is posting ol Larry takes all the attention LOL.

Last edited by 79S; 04/02/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Ever seen any in person?
Originally Posted by Barkoff
No secret that I cannot hunt and get around like I would like, want, or used to. Fortunately for me I have made friends with a family near here who have lots of old growth, grown over orchards on their property as well as loads of berries and little drizzley creeks in the canyon floors. If a guy is patient, and quiet for a few days he can watch a hillside or saddle in between orchards and sometimes at last light in the fall catch a glimpse of a bear on the move. This is now my preffered method of hunting just about anything. Sit, glass and sshoot.

Last fall, just a few days before bear season opened up, JJHack (Jim Hackewicz), the landowner and I rode quads up to check out a few of thes saddles or natural crossings and I spotted a size XXL bear moving in between brush patches. Jim - who has LOADS more experience in judging bears than I - confirmed that this was indeed a big bear. I quit scouting and from that moment on I was not hunting for a bear, I was hunting for THIS bear. I saw the bear one other time in the open for a moment when the season was open, but the range was close to 500 yards so I held my fire - barely...... A few days later I was back up on that same mountain but positioned myself so that if the bear showed in the same place, I would be close enough for a fairly decent, apx 200 yards, shot.

As it happens in hunting, I would have been better off in my original glassing spot as the bear appeared directly across the canyon from where I HAD been sitting and waiting. But, I had lazered the opening where the bear now was before settling in for the evening and knew it to be almost exactly 350 yards. That range is a dead on hold for my wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur pushing 225gr Barnes TTSX's at a full chronographed 3100fps. So, that is what I did. I held on the rear ribs of the quartering away bear and touched off a BIG chunk of solid copper at very high speed.

In my scope I watched in total excitment as the bear just folded up, dropped to the ground, and rolled down the steep hill. A couple of seconds later that wonderful, familiar ka-WHOP sound of a good, hard hit reached my ears and I literally jumped up in joy and thrilling feelings.

By the time I got to the other side of the canyon and onto the trail of the bear, it was getting very dark and I was begining to take falls and near falls among the blowdowns and blackberry and rose bush tangles.

I called for some help from the landowners, and they came and found blood and got (as it turned out,) very close to the bear but no luck that night before it became far too dangerous to go on.

As soon as I got within cell phone service areas I called my good friend Jim Hackewicz (JJHack from here) and requested his assitance the next morning. In addition to his help, the landowner, who is also an avid hunter, fired up his old full size 4x truck with a commercial fishermans net winch mounted in the bed! This thing in immense, and carry's TWO FULL MILES of 5/8 inch steel cable on it! The truck with winch was parked directly above where we believed the bear to be, and Jim found the shortly thereafter while I was covering the possible escape routes. JIm had to put a finisher in the bear with his 44 Magnum revolver as I had not taken into account the bears forward motion when I held on his back ribs for a kill shot. During the time I touched off the round and it arrived on site, the bear had moved forward some and I had hit, and busted up, his hips and furthest rearward verterbrae. So, the bear was well anchored, but still needed a finishing shot from Jims gun.

With MUCH excitement, hollering, adrenaline and thusly plenty of scratches and bruises in getting all the way TO my bear, this is the nasty, straight up steep, thorn filled scene where he fell:

[Linked Image]

A really happy JJhack and Safariman together at the bear kill site:

[Linked Image]

Then came time for the work.....

1) Call in the big rig:

[Linked Image]

2) haul the cable straight down to Mr. Bear:

[Linked Image]

3) Place an appropriate collar on the new "pet" bear:

[Linked Image]

4) then UP we go!

[Linked Image]

5) and up, some more! (amazing how well this works....) :

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/MyBEAR016_zpsa3b44f18.jpg[/img]

And then, out come the stinky innerparts for coyote bait:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/MyBEAR025_zpsb32c3874.jpg[/img]

This photo give another good idea or representation of just how BBIG this bear is! 1/2 of him is in the truck in the photo above.

And finally, more happy, hero type pictures:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/38380036_zps134eeb03.jpg[/img]

For size reference, I am 6'3" tall, I weigh in at 250, and this bear was and is a lot bigger than me. Meat is in the freezer, rug mount should be finished this month some time.

It had been a couple of years since I shot a bear, I had not felt like going but with this scenario I was able to make a hunt work out. I am still pretty thrilled with my fair chase, no bait or hounds bear, and by far my largest black bear. Right at 19 inches of skull, squared. I will let you all guess his live weight, I only know for sure it was a LOT. Jim and I could bbear-ly ( smile ) budge him to set up the photos, and we are both ppretty muscular, strong guys, even though my joints hurt a lot.

Sorry it took so long to post these, They are from my I phone and I did not know how to get them into photobucket until very recently. Oh well, it was fun just now re living and telling the story! I hope you enjoyed it, as well.

MARK

Congrats, that head looks like a Brown Bear.

Thanks, I have seen a few brown bear, and shot one. He does have a slight resemblence. Another member asked if he might have any griz blood in him, but I shot him hundreds of miles south of any known Grizzly populations. Closest one's I know of are up at Glacier Park due North of here about 200 miles or a bit more. Just a good sized black bear, especially for a vegetarian black bear. The REAL monsters typically come from near lots of salmon streams such as in Alaska. I have hunted them some up there, but didn't see a real brute so did not kill one there. Some days, could have shot a 1/2 dozen up there without trying. Amazing place in many respects.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Another backslap for a total goatfpuck.

This forum is worse than anything on Gaybeard.

And that matters to you (and the description of my hunt is unique to you and a couple of cronies as well) or is your business WHY again, pray tell?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you put in on an open forum, you make it the business of anyone who chooses to read the post.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
This is better than Oprah.

I haven't seen so much drama since 'flave had a baby.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love a good hunting story but some stories just need to stay out of the forums and this is probably one of them. Not to bash but I would put the ol 340 t-rex up 11 lb hunting rifle [bleep] that is to damn heavy! and find a good shooting 270, 280, 30-06. I like the barnes bullet but I will take the accubond all day long over the TSX.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
If you put in on an open forum, you make it the business of anyone who chooses to read the post.

Interesting perspective. But I find it most curious that only a few feel the need to post thier opinion about my hunt over and over in the same thread. And feed into one another. Always the same 5 or 6 members, in lock step with one another. Most fascinating but also very sad for them to have to entertain themselves in such a miserable manner. Proffessional name calling mud slingers on the internet? How noble and Galant sick

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I seriously didn't think my POS meter could go any lower, but somehow this fool keeps lowering the bar.

Everybody phugs up a shot from time to time, and unfortunately bad things happen. But coming on here and bragging about a total phug up is just about the worst thing a guy could do. Shows a total lack of disrespect for the animal. Ever heard of being humble?

Just as bad are the people defending this crap like it's some sort of accomplishment!

If stunts like this are considered a successful hunt, I feel ashamed to call myself a hunter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Ever seen any in person?

Thanks, I have seen a few brown bear, and shot one. He does have a slight resemblence. Another member asked if he might have any griz blood in him, but I shot him hundreds of miles south of any known Grizzly populations. Closest one's I know of are up at Glacier Park due North of here about 200 miles or a bit more. Just a good sized black bear, especially for a vegetarian black bear. The REAL monsters typically come from near lots of salmon streams such as in Alaska. I have hunted them some up there, but didn't see a real brute so did not kill one there. Some days, could have shot a 1/2 dozen up there without trying. Amazing place in many respects.

Lucky for them.
You would've have ass shot them too........while watching it in the scope.
Unfuvkingbelieveable. No brake and dinosaur recoil, but you were watching.
But it would have been UBER......and fast. A deadly combo. If you'd have taken the shot. Laffin.

You are awesome. Just ask you.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

Interesting perspective. But I find it most curious that only a few feel the need to post thier opinion about my hunt over and over in the same thread. And feed into one another. Always the same 5 or 6 members, in lock step with one another. Most fascinating but also very sad for them to have to entertain themselves in such a miserable manner. Proffessional name calling mud slingers on the internet? How noble and Galant sick

Given your two posts on the same hunt, it seems like more than 5 or 6.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who's counting?
grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks, I have seen a few brown bear, and shot one.

Did you recover it?

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,713
Posts18,514,085
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.