Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Uncle Jemima?

Ouch, but I'll twist it in and say "Aunt Jemima with a 270..."

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Now that was uncalled for. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You guys are too much. That ain't Aunt Jemima, it's obviously..........

Uncle Tom.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Uncle Jemima?

Ouch, but I'll twist it in and say "Aunt Jemima with a 270..."

OK�I could probably take the beating Safariman has been getting on this thread�but that was unusually cruel�.

.270��.

Good Lord man, have you no decency?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's almost as bad as trout fishing with a Zebco, or putting ice in sipping whiskey. grin

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That's almost as bad as trout fishing with a Zebco, and a worm grin

Fixt it for you.

Now, may I prepare a whiskey for you? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang,
I may have to rock this thread with bell bottoms and my bandanna.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
didn't read 1/2 the posts but a "little/non-magnum" would have done JUST fine on that bear.

My problem is people need to start hunting within their limits, just because your rifle carries the energy for 500 yards doesn't mean that you are ethically capable of making that shot at a live target that is moving when you have 0 back-up for finishing the animal off in a timely fashion

I'm not going to say that i've never lost a game animal, or every shot was perfect, but i've taken those lessons analyzed them and try not to repeat them. Your post seems as though your only problem with the shot was you didn't compensate for bear's forward movement but I think there are more things to reflect upon, once again not trying to rip you down but just thinking the internet is not the best place to brag about leaving an animal wounded overnight seems like great fodder for the non-hunters to use about how bad we all are when you goofed up with a poor decision on taking a shot which once again we have all done

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tim_B

My problem is people need to start hunting within their limits, just because your rifle carries the energy for 500 yards doesn't mean that you are ethically capable of making that shot at a live target that is moving when you have 0 back-up for finishing the animal off in a timely fashion

But, but, but..he had the Tyrannosaur. And, per always, he's awesome. The rest of us pups need to stay on the porch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't think that Safariman was trying to hit the bear in the hips, nor was he saying that he is not a good enough rifleman--rather simply that the bear moved when he was shooting, so he hit it too far back.

My only observation is that a hip shot on a black bear could be made with most rifle using good bullets, and as such I disagree with the premise that a big magnum saved the day.

I think the saving grace was that he did hit the hips and broke the bear down, so that it couldn't get away with a lung shot only. I actually wonder how the story would have ended if the shot happened as originally planned, with the bullet angling up through the lungs from a steep raking angle. I could see that being a real rodeo.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see where there was much of an angle on the shot to take out both hips and the last vertebrae.

He said he missed by inches....yup, two foot of inches....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a brut. Wouldn't want to tangle with that after being shot with les than 200 gr 30 cal.. 338 even better.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
mathman,

Just how in THE [bleep] didja' know it were a Zebco Day,today?!?

Are you Siekick?

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

aalf,

A miss is as good as a mile.

Or "2 miles" of 5/8" on a Halibut Reel in the back of the crummy.

Laffin'!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SKane
But, but, but..he had the Tyrannosaur.

That's the irony of it all. So many people think that an "uber-magnum" provides a certain margin of error for a shot. In this case, super-duper weight and super-duper speed on them boolits smile wasn't enough to cover the error.

As I said to Murphy on the AOD one time, how big a cartridge is necessary to accomodate an F'd up shot?

The problem for many is the "oh look at me - I'm an awesome hunter" attitude that comes across in the posts. it just doesn't add up thataway.

Nice bear, congrats, but if you do that again - don't post it.

As a wise sage on this forum likes to say, and repeat after me:

Placement>>>Bullet>>>Cartridge
Good mantra, there.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender

The problem for many is the "oh look at me - I'm an awesome hunter" attitude that comes across in the posts. it just doesn't add up thataway.

I got a different slant from the yarn, namely that the original Campfire story was about a fellow that is having trouble getting around and his mate that had the decency to allow him to hunt on his land, the fluffed shot was added in as an "I fluffed this shot but I own my mistakes"...I found more focus on the part where JJHack was a good enough (read bloody terrific) friend to not only allow hunting but actually get off his backside and work to help a mate.

The winch is something I would have killed for when I was dragging roo carcases across the paddocks, particularly in irrigation.

And the piece on this thread I took to be a hackneyed attempt at a humourous swipe at the numerous premium projectile/small cartridge threads.

PS, "good God that hit" and "how the heck did that miss" shots happen, some people can own them and move on without feeling the need to dissemble.

(This thread has got boring so I am going into the kitchen to toast some bread and fry some bacon, mushrooms, zucchini on toast)

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'STUART,

[bleep] Yo Couch!

Harden The [bleep] Up.

Just Sayin'.

Laffin'!

Gotsta go gun a new CZ Hummer zero,with the newly arrived 25MOA 1913 rail/Fixed [bleep] Combo.

[Linked Image]

Write this down and in this order of importance...without [bleep] it up:

1) Placement

2) Boolits

3) Headstamp

Hint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Stick, should I ever win Lotto I am going to make a point of visiting you and your family for some hunting and fishing...and to get you to show me some of that country you have around there.

Regards.

James.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I didn't (couldn't bring myself to) read the OP. I assumed, like every other post by/about him, that someone took one in the ass. Apparently this time it was a bear? I would bet that somewhere in the story is a reference to his pastor and/or christian beliefs and the standard health issues/misfortune he always touts.....

Stick, received confirmation from Chesebro today that my annie would soon be inbound. In the meantime, picked up a vintage 40x that not surprisingly shoots 10shots in the .2's at fifty. Ordered a 20 MOA rail and trying to decide between the fixed 16x and 20x now. I think a mickey is in order as well as a hack saw and a new crown. 26" makes the balance a clusterphuckk.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Boxer

Gotsta go gun a new CZ Hummer zero,with the newly arrived 25MOA 1913 rail/Fixed [bleep] Combo.

[Linked Image]

I've got an order to make. Thanks!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
let me know how your 452 shoots. what length barrel?

Page 10 of 24 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 12 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,219
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.