Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I don't think that Safariman was trying to hit the bear in the hips, nor was he saying that he is not a good enough rifleman--rather simply that the bear moved when he was shooting, so he hit it too far back.

My only observation is that a hip shot on a black bear could be made with most rifle using good bullets, and as such I disagree with the premise that a big magnum saved the day.

I think the saving grace was that he did hit the hips and broke the bear down, so that it couldn't get away with a lung shot only. I actually wonder how the story would have ended if the shot happened as originally planned, with the bullet angling up through the lungs from a steep raking angle. I could see that being a real rodeo.

Are you saying the bear wouldn't have died fairly quick if the bullet had went through the lungs? Granted, I've never shot a bear but I've busted lungs on a bunch of deer. They may go into 4-wheel drive as some say but I don't think one has ever lived more than a minute or so (at the outside) afterwards. Certain that none have required another shot, much less two the next morning.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jm,

20x Super Chicken is too dim. I had one and wouldn't buy another.

6x, 10x, and maybe 12x for me. Have a 3-15x Chicken that I'm going to sell and replace with Fixed Fuukkers.

Can't wait for my Chese-shutz to arrive too grin

Jason

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The SWFA 3-9 glass is mucho nicer than the standard fixed power glass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan to try one of those too Billy!

Jason

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sure like the fixed phuggers too. But the 3-9 kinda ruined me on them! And this coming from a former dedicated fixed power scope guy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the feedback PG. Tanner seems to like his too. Haven't heard anything bad about them. Been thinking about one for a 6mm-06.

I'm thinking 6x Chicken for a 10/22. More utility as Boxer says, plus the lower mag probably doesn't hurt image quality. Think the Chese-shutz would do well with a 10x.

Jason

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'STUART,

You prolly wouldn't much care for the extreme cold and harsh conditions.(grin) Minutes ago.

[Linked Image]

[bleep] POS CZ hung in purty good,despite the swirling wind and I rattled 3 clusters back to back,under 1/2" at 100. That with (2) flavors of 17gr boolits. The Flyin' Ashtrays are a hoot up close,but the V-Max steals the show in rapid fashion,down range.

For whatever reason POA/POI is same/same with both 17gr loads,at 100. Nice "problem" to have.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Hope my Eelektrik Bloo stock shows in the next coupla days,then this dog will be hung. Gots a better one coming.(grin)

I ain't ever seen anyone,have more fun than me.

'mountain,

Good move squeakin' in on the Faux MSR,there's gonna be some whining [bleep]...when the Slow Crowd figures it out,wayyyyyyyy too late.(grin) He's learning,as pricing has bumped twice,in rapid fashion.

I'd suffer a single shot 40X 22LR in a heavy filled A5,as a Giggles Rifle. I've neither the 16 or 20x Fixed [bleep],so couldn't comment in the firsthand,regarding their total erector travel. I can like the 10x purty good and once you delve past that many X's,lotsas schit gets hinky and it's easy to just say "no" and ring the bell at 10x or less. BT/DT.(grin)

Happiness is hacksawing a [bleep] brake offa sumptin' or ringin' the bell in balance/handling. I've lonnnggggggg been at ease,in performing that Surgery.

In an A5,I'd be thinkin' 20".

'CUBIC,

Bob makes very GOOD stuff and I've beat the schit outta a few,affixed solely with the (6) set screws in the top. Would prefer a hole or two D&T'd to assist the warm/fuzzy,but I ain't puked one yet.

I wish he made a 50MOA version,so as to get closer to using up all the inherent goody aboard a Fixed [bleep].

I'll be burning his ears(again).

'ham1,

21" from boltface to crown. It shoots well,but is a typical piece of [bleep] schit CZ,in that it's rougher than a cob. Trigger has been tweaked Yo' Style and I'm thinkin' about D&T'ing a creep remover,instead of PMTJ shims.

Reminds of a Salvage,in that they're roughshod quirky [bleep],that I'd not wanna bet my ass upon...in regards to feed/function,but it do shoot. Play Toy,not a Work Rifle.

The one I got coming,will Bitch Slap it silly and then some.(grin)

'284,

A minute of 4-Wheel Drive,will do The Tracker NO [bleep] favors.

Crush axles and nothing can get "weird".

Hint.

4th,

The 452 Hummer wearing the 25MOA DIP rail and a 6x Fixed [bleep] MilQuad,zero'd at 125yds,has exactly 24Mils of ele remaining the erector. With 17gr V-Max,that's the 700+ yard line. Add the 10 Mils in the reticle and that's the 825yd line.

Wind may play a factor.(grin) Though in fairness,the reticle will grant 380yds of 10mph full value wind holdoff,again with the 17gr 'Max. Just sayin'.

I'm so [bleep] done with variable glass.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm beginning to think I need to get an SS 6x to play with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer,

Sounds like the 17 is a wicked little rifle, and 24 mils leftovercrazy!? That just ain't fair... like an uber-rimfire! I'm surprised that it likes both varieties of bullets. The few Hummdingers I've shot had definite preferences although all were really accurate. Will be interesting to see if it does even better with the new stock.

I do appreciate the honest feedback on the corncob CZ, though you know the secret CZ whistle was blown? The CZ Army will be along here shortlygrin

I'm going 6x for the 10/22 in Frankendork stock, and 10x for the 1407R. The 3-15x Chicken has been an interesting trial but its going away.

PS - where did the uber-magnum dude(s) go?

Jason

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'math,

I hear good thangs in F&S,regarding the 6x Fixed [bleep],that wears the MilQuad reticle.

4th,

The Flyin' Ashtray's BC,do it no favors...especially when a "good" .17cal BC is still schit.(grin)

There must be an Imagination & Pretend Convention at the Jerry Lewis Telethon and they's looking for the "bounty".

Laffin'!

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"'284,

A minute of 4-Wheel Drive,will do The Tracker NO [bleep] favors.

Crush axles and nothing can get "weird".

Hint."

Agreed, but shooting an uber magnum that you can't shoot for [bleep] don't either.

I wouldv'e shot for the front shoulders to. Just sounded to me like he was saying the bear woulda been alive an angry if the lungs had been taken out.

Best post of the thread.

"Holy Smokes,
just saw the tale scattered over (oops, I mean ALL over) the forum.

1. Saw a bear at a friends spot.
2. Ass shot bear with uber unit.
3. Phoned a friend.
4. Went home.
5. Came back with another friend.
6. Friend found bear.
7. Friend killed bear.
8. Friend took hero shots of me.
9. Friend hauled bear.
10. Friend gutted bear.
11. Friend skinned bear.
12. I wrote up multiple entries on internet forums of my awesomeness.
13. I was voted a badass mutherphoucer......

by me."

Rollin.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I plan on taking my CZ Hummer mule deer hunting next Fall.

Hard raking shots will be avoided but anything else is gonna be meat in the pot!

[Linked Image]

Placement will be key.

[Linked Image]

100 yard load workup.
(again 300 WSM left, Hummer on right)

There might be something to smaller cartridges being easier to shoot?

[Linked Image]

Fine tuned load here boys, advantage of minimus runout and proper primer selection.
(3 shots, again at 100)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good report. I learned a lot.

That wsm's brass makes it look fat.
You can always enjoy a hummer......'specially if it has a tongue stud.

It's early here.
The sun is not very bright......yet.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I plan on taking my CZ Hummer mule deer hunting next Fall.

Hard raking shots will be avoided but anything else is gonna be meat in the pot!

[Linked Image]

Placement will be key.

[Linked Image]

100 yard load workup.
(again 300 WSM left, Hummer on right)

There might be something to smaller cartridges being easier to shoot?

[Linked Image]

Fine tuned load here boys, advantage of minimus runout and proper primer selection.
(3 shots, again at 100)

[Linked Image]

I want to try the dime shot with my 9.3, but I don't think I'd find the dime after the shot whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do me a solid? Find my bear and kill it for me? And clean it? Gut it? Retrieve it? Load it?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Find my bear and kill it for me? And clean it? Gut it? Retrieve it? Load it?
Travis

I killed you a bobcat last year.

You want me to hump the hide to Havre, or should I just wait and send it when I shoot you a hog?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wait until you can afford enough cable to pull it all the way there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wait until you can afford enough cable to pull it all the way there.

can I use paracord?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
paracord ain't uber enough. Unless you have 10 MILES of it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
paracord ain't uber enough. Unless you have 10 MILES of it.

I'm close.

I've banked about 20,000 slings but if I tie them altogether, it should make it.

I expected to be able to turn these around when the paracord shortage hit, and scalp them like rimfire.

They are quality slings by the way, but some of them are pink.

Does that count against the uberness?

Page 11 of 24 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,922
Posts18,498,484
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.