Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ironbender

The problem for many is the "oh look at me - I'm an awesome hunter" attitude that comes across in the posts. it just doesn't add up thataway.

I got a different slant from the yarn, namely that the original Campfire story was about a fellow that is having trouble getting around and his mate that had the decency to allow him to hunt on his land, the fluffed shot was added in as an "I fluffed this shot but I own my mistakes"...I found more focus on the part where JJHack was a good enough (read bloody terrific) friend to not only allow hunting but actually get off his backside and work to help a mate.

The winch is something I would have killed for when I was dragging roo carcases across the paddocks, particularly in irrigation.

And the piece on this thread I took to be a hackneyed attempt at a humourous swipe at the numerous premium projectile/small cartridge threads.

PS, "good God that hit" and "how the heck did that miss" shots happen, some people can own them and move on without feeling the need to dissemble.

(This thread has got boring so I am going into the kitchen to toast some bread and fry some bacon, mushrooms, zucchini on toast)

You're mostly right. The part that got under my skin was "the uber mag saved the day", when it didn't even kill the bear. I've heard that story too many times from "magnum guys". Of course 30-06 guys can be just as bad. I have a relative who once shot a beautiful buck in the neck at 90 yards, because that was the only shot he had. He then went on to tell me "I wouldn't have wanted anything else in my hands but a .30-06 for that shot". I didn't even know what to say. A Hornet could've brought that buck down with that shot at that range. I also get a laugh everytime a 30-06 guy says "I wouldn't have killed that fill in the blank if I'd been using a .270".

HR IC

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed on the /06 guys.

The 7X57 guys are kinda' annoying also.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah, but more in an "extend your pinkie while you sip your soy latte" kind of way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
Agreed on the /06 guys.

It is all in good fun, reality is that anything along those lines does the job admirably.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SLM
Agreed on the /06 guys.

shocked shocked shocked

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should probably own up about now to also owning a pretty Mauser in 7x57....

I think that I shall make that uber-superior rifle the center point of my next uber-big game adventure. This thing made 25 pages, maybe a good "ONLY a 7x57 Mauser!" story can rile up the good folks enough to get to 30! grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I gotta get going but could frikken watch this chit ALL DAY!

UBERBOOM!!!!!!!!

Outstanding. Macho Man.

Holy Schit. I was dying laffin.
Left Jab! mofos.....

P.S. for some reason I have a craving for a Slim Jim.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I should probably own up about now to also owning a pretty Mauser in 7x57....

I think that I shall make that uber-superior rifle the center point of my next uber-big game adventure. This thing made 25 pages, maybe a good "ONLY a 7x57 Mauser!" story can rile up the good folks enough to get to 30! grin

Just be yourself....

That will assure it.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I gotta get going but could frikken watch this chit ALL DAY!

UBERBOOM!!!!!!!!

Outstanding. Macho Man.

Holy Schit. I was dying laffin.
Left Jab! mofos.....

P.S. for some reason I have a craving for SLM Jimmy.

Dood...............

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're going sheep hunting Bro.
We'll be rammin'.
On the Lo-Line.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Sweet.... can't wait for the 'UBER-DEUCHE Chronicles'

We should team you with JeffO and Lee24... t'would be epic.... UBERTOOLS on Parade...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
We're going sheep hunting Bro.
We'll be rammin'.
On the Lo-Line.

I'll be doing the rammin', not you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be behind you......
so we'll see about that.

Maximus

Have Dog

Will Travel

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hopefully you don't bring the UBER big, UBER fast, Trunktadactia.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bring UBER EVERYTHING!
My life is UBER.
My cleats are UBER,
My gloves....

My winch is off the USS Missouri.
I could go on.....

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dicky....UBER.
My post count...UBER.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Bear_story_or_The_proper_way#Post8739123

I was glad for EVERY ONE of the 225 grains of solid copper bullet weight, and each and every one of my 3100fps muzzle velocity when I took the shot in the linked story above, which I just posted in the general campfire and general big game forums. The scene.... A VERY large, probably once in a lifetime for me, fat, bowlegged, male black bear. Quartering away and about to get away, 350 yards out.

I would not have tried this shot with a 223, 243, or any other sub 30 caliber bullet, and I was lovin my uberfast wildcat big 33 when the opportunity came along to poke this guy, and hard.

Ask yourselves after you look at my photos of this years bear and read my report if you would have made an attempted shot with a rifle that was much less than mine in power and capabilities.

What would YOU have wanted in your hands, with the always very real possibility of a less than ideal shot placement? And PA- LEEZE don't pipe up with that "I only take perfect shots" crap. Real hunting in the real woods, for really big and mature animals, does not allow that kind of selectivity.

I see absolutely no instance or indication of where or how the caliber, powder charge, or bullet weight had anything to do with performance here. Any cartridge loaded with a good bullet (TSX, TTSX, Partition, A-Frame, etc.) from about .26" up on either the .308Winchester or .30-06 case would have provided comparably bad results with a hit through both hips. The bear would have still been down and still not been dead. The original shot taken would still have been well within range of those cartridges, too, so trajectory or power at target would not have been an issue.

There are a host of cartridges that would have provided equal performance with the same shot placement.

As to whether the shot would have been attempted had I a "lesser" cartridge or rifle in hand, the answer is an unequivocal "yes", and I would have certainly strived for better shot placement.

Last edited by 4ager; 04/04/14.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With a lesser caliber, the bear would have been less dead the next morning. This should be a wake up call for all of us. Time to get an uber mag!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
With a lesser caliber, the bear would have been less dead the next morning. This should be a wake up call for all of us. Time to get an uber mag!

The bear was apparently very not dead the next morning regardless, thus the need for a tracking job and the killing shot(s) with a .44 magnum.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,869
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.