Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
So I'm gonna seat those 160's waaaayyyyyyy out there and see if those bullets will reach 2750/2800 fps.

Holy cow, let me know if you reach those velocities and how it shoots.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Windy now,but will take it out tomorrow morning.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Does it take that much to reach the lands on the CZ?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,told ya'll it was long.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ok today's update.

The group on the right is what was shot yesterday.
[Linked Image]

I almost reached 2800 fps.

[Linked Image]

Reminder of how far out the bullet is seated.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/06/14.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I bought a bunch of Norma brass for my son's 7mm Mauser. I had done a bunch of work with it with Winchester brass so I dropped back a little since the Norma is a touch thicker. Speeds were very impressive and everytime I shoot this rifle I am impressed. What really impresses me is RL17. It is really a great powder.

I am going to run a seating depth profile next, but so far, I like what I see. I believe I could go higher with RL17, but I am sticking with 49.5/50.0 grains I think. It is gentle and pumps that 140 out around 2975 or so. Cases look excellent though. Just can't believe how well the powder work with the Mauser. Pretty sure backing the bullet off a little more will bring the groups in real nice.

I had a shift in sunlight out on the range, so I am thinking alot of the flyer's were more me, but most shots broke well, but my sight picture was changing as the sun struck the target.

Any of you all looking for a sweet 7mm, don't overlook the 7mm Mauser. Just an incredible performer when teamed up with a magazine long enough to seat the bullets out a little. All of these loads were at 3.100 COAL. Recoil is very mild and the little Featherweight is a dream to handle.

These were shot at 200 yards.

49.0 grains - 2907, 2932, 2928, 2918

[Linked Image]

49.5 grains - 2932, 3014, 2958, 2963

[Linked Image]

50.0 grains - 2976, 3014, 2929, 2998

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Good post. You mentioned 140 grains but not bullet type. What were you shooting?

Here's a Zastava Mauser with Burris 3-9x40 Euro LRS. Nice scope but I had to mount it pretty far back to get full view with comfortable eye relief. If I move it forward my nose is almost resting on my knuckle. Mounts are Warne with Warne QD low. Bolt clearance is close but fine, and cheek weld is solid.

[Linked Image][/URL][/img]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I apologize, they are Nosler 140 Accubonds. I have to tweak seating depth a little but I think it'll be real good as it shorten them up a little.

The rifle is a Model 70 7x57 Featherweight. It's the older push feeder but man, if I was to run across another I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It shooting 140BTs with RL19 into real small groups.

Last edited by beretzs; 04/06/14.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's a nice rifle there Rev.

Why not just use the iron sights?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a nice rifle there Rev.

Why not just use the iron sights?

The one thing I miss from my youth: my eyes!

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
And thanks. It's pretty utilitarian.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
I apologize, they are Nosler 140 Accubonds. I have to tweak seating depth a little but I think it'll be real good as it shorten them up a little.

The rifle is a Model 70 7x57 Featherweight. It's the older push feeder but man, if I was to run across another I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It shooting 140BTs with RL19 into real small groups.

Have you shot any 150s? Ingwe swears by them.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Any range report yet?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RevMike

Have you shot any 150s? Ingwe swears by them.

I haven't yet but right now I've got more 140's than 150's. I might give them a shot once I get the 140ABs squared away.

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Any range report yet?
Go to page 23 and about 1/3 the way down is the update. Then if you want I posted "Is it worth pursuing" in the "Ask the Gunwriters" thread.

Oh and the eye comment,I totally understand. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

I have a new Featherweight and it shoots better than I do even with factory ammo. Great rifles in just about any variation.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I have a new Featherweight and it shoots better than I do even with factory ammo. Great rifles in just about any variation.

I'd like to have one of them. What a perfect match up of cartridge and rifle.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Got it. Looks like you're working up a great quick load. Elk or mule deer?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
What a perfect match up of cartridge and rifle.

No doubt.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It'll be for both. It is my son's rifle. Want him to be able to take an elk this Fall if we draw.

Semper Fi
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.