D
smile

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MojoHand
How to explain the many NDE that relate a happy, comforting light/presence by people who make no pretense of believing or following 'god'?

You may believe the sun rises in the West and sets in the East, but that don't make it so. Get it?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't really believe in the stories of the people who claim to have been and returned to either heaven or hell. There really isn't any Biblical precedent for it. In fact, it is told us that there is a "great gulf" between people there and us. I do however, believe in deception and beings who are trying to deceive us. We don't/can't always understand their intentions but the Bible is clear they exist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Politichinians.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Tell ya what I believe.

I believe that all of this stuff that we consider reality is just a small fragment of the big picture,...a small fragment that we are able to perceive with the few rudimentary senses available to us.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Doc,

Thats all very interesting. Thanks for posting.

And mojo has an interesting point. If there are those who are non believers still having the same common NDE experience believers have, PERHAPS the NDE TYPE (either i was in heaven, i went to hell) depends on what is happening physically to the body at time of death, each heaven or hell experience just the body's response to the physical duress of the specific dying event.

Weve been dying for millennia, and the images and notions of heaven and hell may just be the verbalizations of those who have come back from specific types of dying events.

Strokes make body respond one way, and heart attacks another- one is a hell experience, and the other is a heaven experience.

All very very interesting.

Last edited by WillARights; 04/09/14.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don't really believe in the stories of the people who claim to have been and returned to either heaven or hell. There really isn't any Biblical precedent for it. In fact, it is told us that there is a "great gulf" between people there and us. I do however, believe in deception and beings who are trying to deceive us. We don't/can't always understand their intentions but the Bible is clear they exist.
As has been explained, the gulf you speak of was between hell and heaven, not between the living world and heaven.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WillARights
Doc,

Thats all very interesting. Thanks for posting.

And mojo has an interesting point. If there are those who are non believers still having the same common NDE experience believers have, PERHAPS the NDE TYPE depends on what is happening physically to the body at time if death, each experience just a mixture of the body's response to the physical duress if the dying event.

Weve been dying for millennia, and the images and notions of heaven and hell may just be the verbalizations of those who have cone back for specific types of dying events.

All very very interesting.
Resuscitation techniques are only recently developed. Prior to that, folks who died stayed dead.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
As has been explained, the gulf you speak of was between hell and heaven, not between the living world and heaven.

Perhaps, but there is still no Biblical precedent for it. I don't really need people going to either to convince me they are real places and as was told in the same story where the aforesaid "gulf" was discussed, people have the prophets and the scriptures. If they don't believe them, stories of miraculous returns from heaven or hell will not make a lasting and changing impression.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Horse hockey.

Im sure plenty of people have had diabetic seizures, or mild heart attacks or whatever unknown ailment before modern medicine, and black outs and laid there or got chucked in a hole cause they thot they were dead way way back only to report what they experienced once conscious again.

Cmon!

Last edited by WillARights; 04/08/14.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Doctor Rocket,

Very compelling. Thanks for posting.

Johnny Cash talked about being at the bedside of his brother as he died. His brother was a believing saved Pentecostal Christian. Johnny talked about his brother describing the singing of the angels.

By the grace of God enabling me, I refuse to fear any man on earth, but I do fear the Living God. His grace is sufficient for me but I still tremble at His word and at His Name. Wretched man that I am; I am cast entirely upon the grace of Christ and the merits of His redeeming blood.

Last edited by Robert_White; 04/08/14.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Perhaps, but there is still no Biblical precedent for it. I don't really need people going to either to convince me they are real places and as was told in the same story where the aforesaid "gulf" was discussed, people have the prophets and the scriptures. If they don't believe them, stories of miraculous returns from heaven or hell will not make a lasting and changing impression.
Well said. Can't argue with that.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Horse hockey.

Im sure plenty of people have had diabetic seizures, or mild heart attacks or whatever unknown ailment before modern medicine, and black outs and git chucked in a hole cause they thot they were dead way way back.

Cmon

"Thought they were dead" is quite a bit different from being dead.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You have to come back from the dead to report, Hawk. That doesn't take modern medicine to do always, and folks through the millennium didnt know any different.

"Non responsive" was probably dead to them

Last edited by WillARights; 04/08/14.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It seemed dead to observers, but dead is different than seemingly dead.

PS Jesus resurrected actually dead folks, but their accounts of their experiences (if there were any) aren't included in the Gospels.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have to come back from the dead to report, Hawk. That doesn't take modern medicine to do always, and folks through the millennium didnt know any different.

you look dead in your avatar.

Hey!! Your going the wrongway.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I remember the passage in the bible where Max explains that Jesus was only mostly dead and that mostly dead is still partly alive.
no...
wait...
that was a different fairy tale.

Last edited by ringworm; 04/08/14.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
WillARights... I can't argue definitively against you, so I won't try. All I can give you is my subjective and admittedly flawed human perspective...

But that being said, I've seen people die, and I mean a LOT of people. More'n I care to try to count up. And I've seen many more people go "unresponsive". There is a world of difference. Anyone who lives and works in our field will tell you that you can see/feel the difference.

I cain't prove it, scientifically or otherwise. But the difference is real.

No offense taken or intended, I'm just sayin'.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

By the Grace of God, did Lazarus not return from the dead?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D

It seemed dead to observers, but dead is different than seemingly dead.

PS Jesus resurrected actually dead folks, but their accounts of their experiences (if there were any) aren't included in the Gospels.

Yeah.

I would refer any readers of whimsical temperament to read "Lamb", BY Chris Moore. It's a fictional account but based, as Moore writes, on the written record of the gospels and the Jewish histories. Fascinating and eminently readable book that takes nothing from Jesus' divinity and adds the human touch so often lacking in religious treatments of the Life of Christ.

Not for mainstream evangelical/fundos, I might add. Heads might explode.

Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,519
Posts18,509,632
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.