Hop To
Page 8 of 31 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 30 31
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by battue
Let us say it does shoot for now. However, if that didn't take pride in the entirety of the their work, how long will it continue to do so. Like Redhead said, what about water getting into the exposed foam and what adverse effects it may have down the road? Something I never thought of until he mentioned it.

Well, a worse thing that happens with a Rem 700 and its clones like the NULA/Forbes, and something I've seen, is water running down into the safety cutout, into the trigger, and freezing... something you don't see happen on an old-school M70 or Mauser.

M700's were designed for cheap, efficient manufacture, nothing else.

I guess I am lucky, that freezing trigger thing has never happened to me. Although, in all these years I have only hunted in warm weather, sun out.

Steve, saw it in the mountains when light rain turned to snow/cold... trigger frozen-up solid. The safety slot in the M700 design is a water channel. Obviously it takes the "just right" conditions for a serious problem...

Returning to the regularly scheduled program...

Operative words, "just right". It has never happened to me, and I have hunted those pesky whitetails here in the midwest in rain and snow. Also have hunted in the rain and snow out west.As far as the regularly scheduled program, I didn't change the channel.

"M700's were designed for cheap, efficient manufacture, nothing else"
"something you don't see happen on an old-school M70 or Mauser."

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
HR IC

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That Tikka Superlite looks better every day.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the money, he could have bought a Superlite and dropped it into an Edge stock.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I figured I would be a bit of a guinea pig with this rifle, and for the record, am still excited about the 20B. And I am not angry, just a little leery of what's going on.

Obviously, it's not ejecting, and I think I know why after the earlier post. This shouldn't have cleared QC..

Inletting is obviously sloppy, and as I pointed out before, the trigger group hard against the side of it's mortise is a rookie
mistake. No threaded insert embedded for the TG screw is either a mistake, or a very distressing shortcut.

I received a very official apology by email this morning by the director of sales/marketing, and will be receiving a return shipping tag shortly. He is pledging to make this right, and I'm betting they do.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Glad to know they're concerned and will make it right. They seem like neat rifles.

IC B2

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Forbes 24B 30-06 and had to send it back the bolt was binding I called them and Rick told me the gun would get smoother. I sent it back anyway and they fixed after it sat for 4 weeks and several follow up calls.
I will say it did shoot some great groups with 180 ballistic tips and RL17. The trigger sucked compared to my Tikka's sold the Forbes kept the Tikka.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I figured I would be a bit of a guinea pig with this rifle, and for the record, am still excited about the 20B. And I am not angry, just a little leery of what's going on.

Obviously, it's not ejecting, and I think I know why after the earlier post. This shouldn't have cleared QC..

Inletting is obviously sloppy, and as I pointed out before, the trigger group hard against the side of it's mortise is a rookie
mistake. No threaded insert embedded for the TG screw is either a mistake, or a very distressing shortcut.

I received a very official apology by email this morning by the director of sales/marketing, and will be receiving a return shipping tag shortly. He is pledging to make this right, and I'm betting they do.

If your lucky...maybe Melvin fixes all the quality control returns! smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You would think, being a fledgling company and selling a product being bought by a more discriminating customer quality control would be extremely high on the list. Joe hunter buying a package Savage may never even remove the stock. Not so for anyone looney enough to be spending the bucks on Forbes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
That Tikka Superlite looks better every day.

Why would you get a hunting rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feel free to comment.

I think it all went down hill from here.....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8663118/F_S_M700_6_5_SAUM#Post8663118

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rancho,do believe that the rifle was put together 4:45 pm on a Friday afternoon.

Good deal that they are making it right. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by aalf
Feel free to comment.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8663118/F_S_M700_6_5_SAUM#Post8663118

I didn't see the ad until after it was sold or I'd a jumped all over it!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No regrets here, with either deal..

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by aalf
Feel free to comment.

I didn't see the ad until after it was sold or I'd a jumped all over it!

Don't worry. It has a new home where it will be receiving lots of love. Just finished up making a bunch of brass for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Had similar issues with my first 24B, before my first range trip I took it apart and adjusted the trigger. After putting it back together the shells would not feed smoothly from the mag (didn�t try it before).

Send it back to Forbes and I also mentioned the paint was not perfect several places along the barrel to my eye. They called me with an apology; the gunsmith at Forbes felt that the stock was not allowed to dry completely before it was assembled with wet paint sticking to the barrel. Later the paint came off the stock when I took it apart to clean/adjust. They repainted the stock, adjusted the mag.
I am very happy with the results; it shoots great, feeds perfectly and looks better than new smile

Had they taken a little more time when it was built these errors would not have happened BUT when you�re orders are backed up 18 months production gets rushed mistakes are made...

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BTW I was happy with the service and have since purchased a 24B in 25-06 to go with my 24B 30-06.

Ted
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Good to hear they are taking care of it & Old Willys experience as well. I received the call today that my 24B in 280 Rem is finally ready & will be shipping out this week. Hopefully QC is tightened up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Forbes will take care of it -- they're good people. Everybody makes mistakes. It's how you deal with them that's important. They'll get Rancho up and running!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been monitoring this thread with great interest, as I too have experienced a "Lemon" model 24B. Mine came in the flavor of a .270 SS barrel. I ordered this rifle back in December of 2013. I wanted the green stock and SS barrel and anxiously awaited its arrival. Besides a Benelli SBEII, this is the most money I have spent on a gun-period. I just got a hankering for a lightweight bolt action rifle to tote in the mountains of Virginia, and while an NULA would have certainly been nice, my wallet would simply not allow such a purchase. Nevertheless, after doing extensive reading/research I chose what I thought to be the next best thing....the "Blue-Collared" working man's NULA- Forbes 24B. The rifle arrived at my FFL in late March, and I felt like a kid on Christmas morning as a went to pick it up. I checked the rifle for initial fit and function. Although the action was initially very, very rough, it did "function" minus ammo. I had the guys at the gun shop adjust a miserable 4 3/4lb trigger down to a very nice 3 1/4lb pull before departing the shop. Overall the rifles finish and cosmetics were very acceptable, with a couple of very, very minor paint imperfections. Alas nothing the first day at the range or in the woods would not surely erase from my memory. After arriving home, I proceeded to give the weapon a thorough cleaning, as I have done with every new weapon I have acquired for the last 40 years. The bore was exceptionally "Gunky" and I went through approximately 40 Pro-Shot patches and Shooters Choice solvent to get it clean. I then greased the lugs and proceeded to work the Gritty Bolt back and forth (Never pulling the trigger) through a couple of TV shows. The action/bolt actually loosened up considerably after this procedure. After thoroughly cleaning all other aspects of the rifle, I proceeded to mount a new Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 in the supplied Talley rings. Once this was accomplished, again much like a kid....I sat and stared at my new "GO-TOO" rifle I had wanted for so long. While I planned to load 130 BT over some configuration of 4831SC and Norma brass, I realized I had NO .270 ammo in the house for a regimented barrel break-in. So the next day I went to the local Wally-World and you guessed it, picked up a box a trusty Blue-Box Federal 130 Soft Points. The next day prior to departing for the range, I figured I would check TRUE function with live ammo. Here is the point my heart sank! This rifle would not feed properly, nor would it eject properly. On one occasion it would pick up a round from the blind magazine and fail to chamber, the next time it would pick up a round and chamber but fail to extract, the next time it would work for one round, but the next round would fail to chamber! There was NO rhyme or reason for what it would do next! The new factory loaded ammo's brass suffered EXTENSIVE scratching, above and beyond anything I have ever experienced with ANY push-feed rifle. Needless to say I was heartbroken. While I realize there are certainly far worse problems in the world we live, the fact this Brand Spankin' New Unfired rifle was exhibiting such behavior was unbelievable to me. The next day I took the rifle to work with me and had two separate Weapons Armorers examine the rifle. Each said..."Get Your Money Back...NOW!" They also were completely dismayed at the feed/function of this new rifle.
At this point I telephoned Forbes rifles and spoke with Rick Campbell, the Sales Manager. I had been dealing directly with Rick when placing my order, so I felt best dealing with him at this juncture. Needless to say he was very apologetic and assured me they would make it right. I will say without hesitation Mr. Campbell has been a true professional throughout my ordering/payment/shipment, and he DID NOT disappoint me at this point of the ordeal. He provided me a shipping "Code" and advised me to return the rifle for necessary repairs. He further explained the extractor, and magazine box would be replaced as a starting point.
After sleeping on this, the next day I telephoned Mr. Campbell and advised him of my desire to have a Full-Replacement of the weapon. After all I had not fired a single round through the rifle, and it was still brand new. I reasoned that if this were a new car and the salesman pulled it off the showroom floor and it was smoking and leaking oil, "Fixing-It" would not be an option, as a Full Replacement would ONLY suffice. Mr. Campbell did not hesitate on my request. He did advise me it would be Mid-Summer before they ran SS .270's again, so my replacement would be delayed nearly 4 months. I advised him, since it was March, and I typically like to do initial load development in cooler weather this would be acceptable to me. Needless to say, I pointed out the ideal of the cost of this weapon versus a $350 Ruger American, and how as the consumer I expected MUCH, MUCH more for my hard earned money. Hezz, fail to function is a Basic regardless of the weapons cost. Other than Mr. Campbell's customer service....EVERY part of this purchase has been a true Nightmare! I went so far as to ask him to personally test and Shoot the next rifle before shipment to me! He assured me he would do the same by taking the rifle to his home and test firing it, as they do not have a range facility at the manufacturing plant.
I am willing to give Forbes another chance to provide me a fully functioning.......much better than average accuracy rifle....for my much higher than average cost incurred. Don't ask me why, but I truly believe Mr. Campbell and Forbes rifles will deliver! As a footnote......while I know nothing about marketing/production/or sustaining a business...based on some of the feedback I have read......FORBES RIFLES BETTER GET A HANDLE ON THEIR QUALITY CONTROL, and start delivering the quality of weapon they have promised to the consumer.....because in reality NO LEVEL of Customer Service will be able to overcome an Inept/Faulty product. Furthermore, from all that I have read about Mr. Melvin Forbes and his attention to detail...I suspect incidents like these Do-Not sit kindly with him in the least!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
st8tman, You're a patient guy. I would have had it fixed and sold it at a loss.Would have been the "end" for me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 8 of 31 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 300jimmy, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,571
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.