Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
7mm08

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
7mm08

^This.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gotta agree!

7mm-08

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm-08

In that order.

IC B2

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not much nostalgia around the fire tonight...

Shouldn't be too tough to find a rifle in 7-08. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
7mm-08 would be my pick. I don't own one but my brother does. I've shot it and would love to own one. A real pleasure to shoot and easy to reload, as are most '08's

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The rifle action/style you choose would have a lot to do with what I'd pick. If you're looking to use a short I'd go 7-08 hands down. Look at the numbers on that cartridge; it sells itself.

The 257 Rob is a favorite of mine and would work on a short action too.

If you're doing an intermediate length Mauser action I'd go 257 Rob, 6.5x55 or 7x57.

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
The rifle action/style you choose would have a lot to do with what I'd pick. If you're looking to use a short I'd go 7-08 hands down. Look at the numbers on that cartridge; it sells itself.

The 257 Rob is a favorite of mine and would work on a short action too.

If you're doing an intermediate length Mauser action I'd go 257 Rob, 6.5x55 or 7x57.

I was leaning toward the 7x57 or the Bob personally. Short action is good, but an M48 might could be found...
I have a M70 Featherweight in 270, and would not mind a mate in 7x57...

Looks like the 7-08 is in the lead... EASY to come up with that one.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
7x57 Mauser,the name just rolls off the tongue and brings up images of Jack & Eleanor O'Conner,W.D.M. Bell,the Boer War,Spanish-American War etc...

What does the 7-08 bring to mind not much.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I had ONE Winchester Model 70, it would be the Featherweight in 6.5x55 Swede.
Since you already have one in .270 Win., the quintessential Winchester cartridge...you're fixed there.

NEW rifle and cartridge?
Oh, brother!?
I don't know what your rifle brand of preference is, but in the 7mm-08 Remington, I'd look for a Model Seven in that cartridge.

Nice, short rifle in a nice, short cartridge with the slight ballistic and less-recoil advantages of a .284 vs. a .30.
Maybe even a lever-action Browning in that chambering...for something 'different'.

Good luck...LOONIE! laugh

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
7x57 Mauser,the name just rolls off the tongue and brings up images of Jack & Eleanor O'Conner,W.D.M. Bell,the Boer War,Spanish-American War etc...

Ahhh... a romantic has arrived. Where's Ingwe?

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd stop wasting $$ on rifles and fill some tags. 7-08 aint going to give you a whole lot compared to your 260. 120's same/same 162's /140's same/same....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess I'm a bit out-of-step with the fire tonight. The 7mm-08 is a good round, but I would choose the "traditional" 7x57 with the same ballistics and more "romance".

The .250-3000 or .300 Savage in the Model 99 would be my first choice.....more because of the rifle than the caliber (although both are great rounds). Harder to find in the Model 99 is another possibility (even though not listed).....the .358. Great for deer/hogs/bear and good for elk at reasonable ranges.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes sir; here ya go!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8566201/1

If you already have a 270 Win but are leaning toward an intermediate Mauser my choice would be Bob for sure.

Here is what I did w/ my 24/48 Yugo Bob:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Save romance for the women.

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'd stop wasting $$ on rifles and fill some tags. 7-08 aint going to give you a whole lot compared to your 260. 120's same/same 162's /140's same/same....

Wasting $$ on rifles? Did you say WASTING MONEY ON RIFLES? shocked

I'm fortunate enough to hunt 3 states each year in multiple locations and take a trip further North or West or South each year to boot, so I will punch a tag or two. I'm not financially wealthy or bragging... I just like rifles! I punch paper once a week on average. Like many around the fire, I'm a Loonie!

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT

Good luck...LOONIE! laugh

See? crazy

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I also vote for the 7x57..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
7X57, 6.5X55, AND 257 Roberts. All three! grin

μολὼν λαβέ
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

SUPER loonie.

One vote per citizen, please. whistle

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, we're still on the first page.
Didja make yer mind up? Didja? Didja?!

wink

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
250-3000 in a strong bolt short action. Make sure you have a twist rate that allows you to use 120g bullets for your deer.

Just so well balanced.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Yep . . . gotta love short action performance in a long action round blush

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
7mm08.... what's not to like!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You must have a magnum sighted in and ready for that long shot!

A rifle that will reach out there! Of course the 270 and 30-06 will shoot far but a magnum will go further.

Another idea is a target rifle. I have shot in competition all year around. More shots fired than hunting.

Check with the NRA for events near where you live and there are also postal matches.

http://compete.nra.org

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
7mm-08

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

...but dead deer...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7-08

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Another for the 7x57. Just a great cartridge. 1-9 twist and you are ready for just about everything you had mentioned. I have a 7-08 as well, but the 7x57 gets more field time!

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have often found myself yearning for a new chambering for no particular reason. I built myself a 7mm-08, on a Turkish Mauser, just because I liked the concept (this was when the 7mm-08 first came out). I liked the rifle. It shot great, functioned great, and was a very practical hunting rifle in all respects. So I changed it. It became a 6mm Remington, a 260, a 308 and today, it is chambered for the 8x57; just as it was in the beginning.
I like the 6.5x55 so I've had a few and presently have a fairly nice Mauser in that chambering. Given that I have the 6.5x55, one has to wonder why on earth I am in the middle of building a 256 Newton.
Anyway, I think you should go for a 7x57. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
7mm-08 (never owned one)

What say ye?

While I fully understand requesting recommendations and considering them in the selection process, I fail to understand purchasing a rifle based solely on whatever gets the most recommendations.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle and is a great dual-purpose varmint/big game cartridge. I load it with 75g V-MAX for prairie poodles and coyotes and 120g A-Frames for deer and elk. For antelope it gets 100g TTSX or 110g AccuBond. The Roberts is a better choice for handloaders than those that don�t, due to a rather limited selection of factory ammo. That said, and even as a handloader, I would probably look for a .260 Rem if purchasing a rifle with similar capabilities today.

A Savage 99 has long been on my want list but I can�t seem to find one in good shape that is in a price range I�m willing to pay. When I do, it will be chambered for .308 Win rather than the .300 Savage.

You already have a .260 Rem and none of the cartridges you list adds much if any real capability, so let me suggest some alternatives:

1. .30-30 lever
If you don�t already have one, why not? Nothing beats a lever gun for sheer fun and the .30-30 will do most jobs and is easy on the shoulder.

2. .375 Win lever
Somewhat hard to find but a fun gun. Mine has only taken antelope but I�ve hunted elk with it. Not a long range cartridge but a thumper and great for close range (woods, heavy brush, etc.) work. A 220g Hornady at 2230fps will do for deer out to 250-300 yards.

3. .45-70 lever
Awesome fun, from �mild to wild�. I load mine with 13.5g HS6 and 300 and 350g hardcast for 1167fps and 1097fps respectively. Last time I checked, a box of 20 was costing me about $2.50. My girls love this load, as do I. On the other extreme I have my �Rhino Blaster� loads, 460g hardcast at 1812fps. Brutal on both ends. For more mundane hunting, 300-350g jacketed at around 2100-2200fps. Took a 6x6 bull elk at 213 lasered yards with a 350g North Fork. The bull stood for a few seconds, then tipped over. I�d reach out to 300 yards (-22�) with this load but after that the trajectory becomes a significant issue. Over the years I�ve worked up more loads for the .45-70 than any other rifle.

4. .338 Federal
Don�t have one but find it an interesting cartridge. Would love to have one in a compact, lightweight rifle. Seems like it would be a great choice for deer, bear and hogs, even elk at ranges I�ve taken most of mine.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Sweet Jesus, it's a hunting rifle, not a masturbatory fantasy. You boys with all your romance with rifles need to find something better to rub your dicks on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is that what people are referring to when they say "nice wood?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
7mm-08 (never owned one)

What say ye?

First blush: 7mm-08

More importantly, I'd be considering the rifle itself. Regarding "holes" in your lineup, what are you lacking? Do you have an all-weather hard use rifle? Do you have a short/handy carbine? Does a pretty walnut "beauty queen" appeal to you?

I think it's fine to have some overlap concerning chamberings/calibers, especially when the rifles are notably different and fill different roles. Two of my father's favorite rifles are .308 bolt guns, but one is a heavy-ish tactical style rifle while the other is an 18.5" carbine.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I happen to like WOMEN and RIFLES!

BTW, I have both 7-08 and 7x57 and have a real hard time making a choice. I shoot 120 gr out of the 7-08, with a variable scope and 140 gr from the 7x57 with a 6x fixed scope. I pick up whichever I'm in the mood for that day.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't use to worry about components, but these days I'm glad I can make any brass I need from .308 or .30-06 brass. Almost anything I need, anyway.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
Well, we're still on the first page.
Didja make yer mind up? Didja? Didja?!

wink

Looks like the results so far are:

7-08 11 votes
7x57 7 votes
6.5x55 2 votes
257 Bob 2 votes
250-3K 1 vote

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Coyote_HunterWhile I fully understand requesting recommendations and considering them in the selection process, I fail to understand purchasing a rifle based solely on whatever gets the most recommendations.

I wanted to start a thread on the Fire. whistle

A Savage 99 has long been on my want list but I can�t seem to find one in good shape that is in a price range I�m willing to pay. When I do, it will be chambered for .308 Win rather than the .300 Savage.

You've really confused things, dammit. I have most of those you mention, but I definitely agree with your Savage 99 thinking...

Last edited by 1Deernut; 04/23/14.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7x57 with a 160 gr bullet and then go kill deer or elk. Half the pleasure i get from hunting is from the rifle i'm using

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

First blush: 7mm-08

Regarding "holes" in your lineup, what are you lacking? Do you have an all-weather hard use rifle?

I have a bunch of overlap from 22LR to 375 H&H. No holes. I have all-weather (stainless/synthetic/laminate or cerakote/synthetic/laminate) rigs in 338 Win Mag, 300 Winmag, 30-06, 270 win, 260 rem and 22LR.

Do you have a short/handy carbine?

Model 7 in 260 20", and a 30/30.

Does a pretty walnut "beauty queen" appeal to you?

Absolutely. I have a Model 70 Featherweight Grade III in .270 win that is one of my favorites. Also 2 custom 300s, one on a 98 action and the other on a Model 70 action with nice wood. The Model 70 wood is especially nice. Also many other wood stocks on a Ruger 77, Ruger Safari Grade 375 (nice wood), Model 70 Sporter Varminter in 243 etc.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It'll be hard to pick based on how they kill deer. If you're looking to get people's shorts in a bunch, it looks like you should go with the 7x57!

I'll vote for the .300 Savage, just 'cause no one else has� yet.

Will you also be soliciting votes for the optic? THAT oughta be FUN! grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm-08

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Will you also be soliciting votes for the optic? THAT oughta be FUN! grin

FC

I like getting peoples shorts in a bunch. grin

Ehhhh. Not sure I want to commit to what will be voted on with the optics. I really don't want to leave that up to the 'Fire. Probably would end up with a Leupy, but I don't want to have a bunch of folks vote that I need a S&B 3-12 Klassic on this here rifle. eek

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas has a super grade lightweight in 257 Roberts and 7x57. If I didn't have a kimber 257 I'd buy one.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can find an intermediate length action,6.5x55. But what I would really want would be a 6.5x55 improved.

And you probably don't need a S&B Klassik 3-12x56.The 2.5-10x40 Summit would be more suitable!

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
7-08's are dogs.

6.5x55 for the win.

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
7-08's are dogs.

6.5x55 for the win.

Right now, the 7-08 is in the lead by a bit. The 6.5x55 has a way to go to catch up. A 6.5x55 in a CZ550/mannlicher?

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Right now, the 7-08 is in the lead by a bit. The 6.5x55 has a way to go to catch up. A 6.5x55 in a CZ550/mannlicher?

Or a 7x57 in a CZ550 Mannlicher. I was delusional for a bit last evening and thinking about picking up a Tikka Forest in either 6.5 or .260. But between being threatened by Elk and the fact that I've slept since then, it looks like there's probably another 7x57 in my near future. It'll be number 4. I'm trying to field a basketball team.

So one more vote for 7x57, especially if you can get one with the 1:866 twist (which the CZ is, by the way).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add another 7mm-08 fan here. In either the Tikka or a Weatherby S2 or a Savage of some sort.

You could also find an older 99 in 243 and have it re-bored to the 7mm-08! Kill two birds with one stone (and a pile of deer, elk, piggies etc):D ;D

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike

Or a 7x57 in a CZ550 Mannlicher. I was delusional for a bit last evening and thinking about picking up a Tikka Forest in either 6.5 or .260. But between being threatened by Elk and the fact that I've slept since then, it looks like there's probably another 7x57 in my near future. It'll be number 4. I'm trying to field a basketball team.

So one more vote for 7x57, especially if you can get one with the 1:866 twist (which the CZ is, by the way).

I like the way you think, Rev.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the way you think, Rev.

I think when I get to the point of ordering my last one, I'll have ".275 Rigby" stamped on the barrel. That ought to throw a tear in the eyes of Ingwe and Elk.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Steelhead smile

Rev,I canceled the airline tickets to Florida. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
7mm08.... what's not to like!

The mm part.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
.300 Savage in a 99 or bolt gun, it's the most different from your .260 on the list and can be had in a handy short action rifle, it's also the daddy of the .308, what's not to like?

My stepdad has a corncob 760 .300 Savage, pretty fun little rifle as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna raise howls of derision, but to me the Savage Model 99 is the UGLIEST rifle ever, with the possible exception of the Ruger Gunsite...
sick

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd go with a 7-08 and plug some good 140's in it. Great medicine for anything I'd want to hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To my way of thinking the 7mm-08 is the most practical cartridge going and makes the most sense for my type of hunting. I got into .270's and .30-06's years ago because they were the cool way to fly but after much contemplation, and the setting aside of romantic notions, I've come to the conclusion that the 7mm-08 would give me the best blend of everything I'm looking for and need.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
.275 Rigby, 6.5 X 55 and .250-3000.. Win, Place, Show.... I have two 7mm-08 rifles and they are fine BUT as was said.. no history, no romance, they just work but then the others have worked for over or close to 100 years killing stuff (and as military arms). My latest two darlings are the former two and the 250 is in the vault awaiting a new upscale wood outfit

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I'm gonna raise howls of derision, but to me the Savage Model 99 is the UGLIEST rifle ever, with the possible exception of the Ruger Gunsite...
sick

bobnob17's picture:
[Linked Image]

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Er... Are you a RIFLE loonie or a CARTRIDGE loonie?
Seems like picking the cartridge then trying to find the rifle is backwards except in the case of the 300SAV where you picked the 99 already. Why not go forth and see what you can find in rifles in cartridges you want. OR you could even find the right rifle and rechamber. Or are you going to build from scratch anyway so then the cartridge comes first?
Anyway I would take any of your choices with the limitations you listed in a nice trim rifle, it would only depend on which rifle tickled my fancy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
looks like the 7-08 is leading over the 7x57, 14 to 9 with all others a ways back.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Er... Are you a RIFLE loonie or a CARTRIDGE loonie?
Seems like picking the cartridge then trying to find the rifle is backwards except in the case of the 300SAV where you picked the 99 already. Why not go forth and see what you can find in rifles in cartridges you want. OR you could even find the right rifle and rechamber. Or are you going to build from scratch anyway so then the cartridge comes first?
Anyway I would take any of your choices with the limitations you listed in a nice trim rifle, it would only depend on which rifle tickled my fancy.

Excellent post. I am a rifle loonie, looking for a cartridge I do not currently have a rifle chambered in, to justify (in my feeble little mind) the purchase of another rifle. I think that's the backward thinking to explain the backwards approach...I think. confused

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57

There the 7x57 is winning now. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57 7x57

There the 7x57 is winning now. wink

And I should call an end to the voting!

Nah. I'm a man of my word. I will see if the thread is still alive tomorrow evening. If the 7-08 retains a healthy lead, that is the rifle chambering I buy... Maybe a Weatherby S2 sporter or another Featherweight. Maybe a Model 7 CDL.

Then I will probably need another excuse in a month or six. A 7x57 will be the choice with no voting. wink The Rev's suggestion of a MS has me thinking.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
smile Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hey D N..... IF you insist I have a 700 dbm mtn on wood you might pry from my warm live fingers...... 7-08... it's a sweetie but not very romantic

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
7mm-08 (never owned one)

What say ye?

Given that you have a 270, a 30/06,and a 260 already,you really don't need any of them smile

But since we are playing with wish lists, I would go with the 257 Roberts.

The 7mm's listed will be so similar to the 270 and the 260,you will never tell the difference.

A squib load in the 30/06 will do whatever you need from a 300 Savage.

The 260 will do what a Roberts will do and gives you the short action, high BC bullet case that seems popular today.

But the Roberts uses somewhat lighter bullets,works like a charm on varmints, and swats deer/ antelope sized game easily to 400 yards, as far as I have used it.And burns modest amounts of powder and long barrel life.

If you ever find it lacking you have the 260, 270, and 30/06 to choose from.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
7mm-08 (never owned one)

What say ye?

Given that you have a 270, a 30/06,and a 260 already,you really don't need any of them smile

But since we are playing with wish lists, I would go with the 257 Roberts.

The 7mm's listed will be so similar to the 270 and the 260,you will never tell the difference.

A squib load in the 30/06 will do whatever you need from a 300 Savage.

The 260 will do what a Roberts will do and gives you the short action, high BC bullet case that seems popular today.

But the Roberts uses somewhat lighter bullets,works like a charm on varmints, and swats deer/ antelope sized game easily to 400 yards, as far as I have used it.And burns modest amounts of powder and long barrel life.

If you ever find it lacking you have the 260, 270, and 30/06 to choose from.

Good Gravy man, what has NEED got to do with buying guns???? What a buzz kill! Holy moly, more guys like that will ruin the whole danged economy!!! Keep America green, spend money! The more loonies around the fire the bigger the fire... I like warm.

Last edited by Old_Doe_Shooter; 04/24/14.

SCI Life Member 4**
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm currently working up loads for a newly acquired CZ 550 FS in 7x57. So, I'd lean that way.

I just posted this on high velocity 7x57 loads in a strong action.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8807903/7x57_velocities#Post8807903

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
1deernut
Rather than decide a cartridge and then go buy a rifle, what I would do is prowl the used gun stores in your area looking for something unique, like an old Remington model 141 or a Marlin lever action or a Savage 99 or a bunch of other interesting combinations.
To go buy another new rifle that overlaps what you already have is not going to buy you as much novelty.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Savage 99 chambered in 7-08, with a Leupold FX-II 2.5x20.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

Good Gravy man, what has NEED got to do with buying guns???? What a buzz kill! Holy moly, more guys like that will ruin the whole danged economy!!! Keep America green, spend money! The more loonies around the fire the bigger the fire... I like warm.

Old Doe: Excess rifles, hanging around,drives me nuts. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Hey D N..... IF you insist I have a 700 dbm mtn on wood you might pry from my warm live fingers...... 7-08... it's a sweetie but not very romantic

I will count that as a vote for the 7-08. grin.

I'm not super fond of the DBMs. I have one in Remington as well as a Tikka and a couple of Savages. I don't see them as an issue, but tend to prefer blind boxes or floor plates. With that said, I could be persuaded for the right deal. PM me if you like, and thanks!

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce
1deernut
Rather than decide a cartridge and then go buy a rifle, what I would do is prowl the used gun stores in your area looking for something unique, like an old Remington model 141 or a Marlin lever action or a Savage 99 or a bunch of other interesting combinations.
To go buy another new rifle that overlaps what you already have is not going to buy you as much novelty.

I have to agree. I do, dearly love bolts. I would consider something else, however. A 141 in 35 Rem would be sweet.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Then I will probably need another excuse in a month or six. A 7x57 will be the choice with no voting. wink The Rev's suggestion of a MS has me thinking.

You know, this might be a bit of fun if you want something short and quick.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412014558

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more vote for the 7-08

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by bobnob17
sick

bobnob17's picture:
[Linked Image]

grin

Why, my mum says that I am actually quite handsome!
wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
7-08 is one I personally want to try out. Saw a Marlin XS7 in my local pawn shop several days ago that tempted me, but I had just sent in all my money to the IRS!!!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You know, this might be a bit of fun if you want something short and quick.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412014558

Dadgummit Rev. I have to buy a 7mm-08 first it would appear. Can you float me loan for week 'er two?

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7-08 varget and some 120 ttsx's nuff said. smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Dadgummit Rev. I have to buy a 7mm-08 first it would appear. Can you float me loan for week 'er two?

Aw man, I was going to ask you!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those 7mms are too widdle to kill anything. That's why I went with a .284! wink laugh

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But the .275 is magic!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Aw man, I was going to ask you!
Shot,there goes that idea. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
1Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, this thread is dying and the 7mm-08 seems to have won by a pretty good margin over the 7x57/7mm Mauser/257 Rigby. One of my favorites, the Bob was left behind with the 6.5x55. cool

So my quest for a rifle in 7-08 begins. If anyone has more suggestions in platform, post 'em up!

I will post a pic of the rifle in 7-08 when it is ready to hunt.

I just love the Fire. grin

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Winchester makes a 7-08 Compact. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
6.5 Swede. Old enough and still going strong!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pick the rifle that really pulls your rope and then worry about the chambering. If that rifle is available in 7-08, you've scratched two itches for the price of one, kinda like marrying a world-class chef that really knows how to, .........well you know.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7-08 is just like the 308, except it shoots lighter bullets slower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If forced to go 7-08, original BDL configured Mountain Rifle. I (sometimes regrettably) sold mine to my brother in law.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412151770

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
6.5x55 Swede.

PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.