-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since I have two 7mm Rem.Mag. rifles, that is my 'best' choice.
1989 700-AS I bought new in 1995...
Not sure of the production date for my Browning BAR MkII Safari w/B.O.S.S.

I kind of lucked into the Remington at a BIG 5 store and smile every time I pull the trigger on that one!
The BAR gives me a different kind of smile...softer and more confident with the adjustable accuracy for any load and the instant reloading of another cartridge to make me smile again.

The 7mm Rem.Mag. is sufficient for power, distance, and most any game in North America.
I don't know which one it ISN'T sufficient for...

Then there's the components for reloading.
I also lucked into buying some BARNES 195-gr. Original bullets for the 7mm. A few hundred! Still have most of 'em!
That's a nice, long, heavy bullet for caliber and I don't know where you'd find 'em today.
I also bought some SPEER TNT 110-gr. with the specific idea of loading them into Remington nickel-plated brass for the BAR.
All those little components, just waiting to be loaded!

I did have 20 of the 195's loaded into once-fired brass from the 700, and they were accurate, with a little extra push from the weight.

I just think the 7mm Rem.Mag. is a great cartridge overall.
Easy to find most anywhere.
Feels good to shoot.
Effective.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! laugh

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I don't believe the rumors on 7 RM I have two and neither have pressure problems. If I wanted something different in 7mm it would either be 7 WSM, or 7 Weatherby or 7/08. I have had a 7 STW and thought the recoil was in the range of a 300 Win mag. and the one I had was only average accuracy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Been pleased with me 7 LRM. Pretty efficient too... 70-71 grains of powder with the 175 & 180 gr bullets at or above 300 fps. Mine is not a heavy recoiler, and seems like it will be accurate. First group from the gun was .75"

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've only recently heard about the 7 LRM, does it need an action and magazine box longer than standard? What is the OAL of a loaded cartridge?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been shooting a 280AI lately and it's working for me, but it is not a 7RM. I have said and written that the 7RM is absolutely perfect for western hunting of elk and mule deer and such. It's recoil is manageable, it more than enough power for the biggest bull elk that ever walked at any reasonable range and angle. Moreover, the 160gr Nosler Partition is one great bullet. It's only shortcoming is most factory ammo sucks. For top performance it must be reloaded. I set my 7RM up with a long throat and a 26" 9 twist Hart barrel so I get some impressive velocities with 160gr bullets. About the only thing the big 7's give up to the big 30's is recoil.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like 'em....got two here. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

And don't you dare move the newest one without calling me. cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I realize this thread is nigh on two years' old.

The 7MM Rem Mag might just be the single best big game cartridge of all North American big game. In a good-quality rifle, a hand loader ought to get 3100 FPS with 160 grain bullets and 3200 FPS with 150 grain bullets.

While I've not yet hand loaded 175 grain bullets, I'd anticipate achieving 3000 FPS with them.

The two most accurate rifles I've fired were both 7MM Rem Mags.

The reality is the 7MM Rem Mag ain't a whole lot better than the .280 Rem. Were I accorded a do-over, I'd go with a .280 Rem with a 22" barrel & never look back. I don't think that it'd be all that difficult to get 2900 FPS with 160 grain bullets out of a .280 Rem.

Years ago, Speer's Nitrex line offered a 160 grain bullet clocking 2890 fps at the muzzle for the 280 Remington. I am pretty sure I am guoting those figures correctly, because I figured with that kind of power the 280 is all I would ever need... and I bought a M700 CDL in 280 and never looked back (more than a thousand times, usually when I run into threads like this one)... Of course, the Nitrex line was discontinued before I ever bought any of that ammo. Reload data for the 280 is the pits... always running below the potential of the cartridge. Hodgdon's website shows a max V of 2718 for the 280 with a 160, and 2833 fps for the 270! Laffin. What a 270 can do, a 280 can do... when my "hunt out west" ship comes in I will look for a good 7RM!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by BobinNH

And don't you dare move the newest one without calling me. cool

Laffin! You mean that old thing? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by OceanBlue
I've only recently heard about the 7 LRM, does it need an action and magazine box longer than standard? What is the OAL of a loaded cartridge?

Works on a standard lr (I believe magnum action).

Iirc, my 175 lrab load is at 3.335"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I only own one 7mm mag and I waited along time before deciding to buy one. When I finally found the one that "talked to me" . . . turns out it was a SAKO AIII Finnbear Deluxe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by OceanBlue

Works on a standard lr (I believe magnum action).

Iirc, my 175 lrab load is at 3.335"

Thanks, that's good to know, I think it would work in my stainless M700 Rem mag action. Interesting.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote for the 7 Roy!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've hit 2 different gunshows since I last posted on this thread been looking for early to mid 60's Remington factory 7mm Rem Mag ammo. Really wanted some 175 gr Ptd Corelokts ,haven't found any yet but did score an almost full box of 64-65 vintage 150 gr Corelokts yesterday. These were advertised as having the factory velocity of 3260 fps at the muzzle in my 1963 Rem catalog. Now days the same load is 3110 fps. Now these shells are 48-49 years old but appear to have been stored correctly, no corrosion visible at all and the box is 95% condition. of course they are loaded with Rem 2 diameter bullets. Think I'll pull one check the powder weight and use the bullet to check the throats on my 700 ADL and Mark X Whitworth to see if they are throated the same, I doubt it but curiosity says too. Then some chrono graphing. Magnum Man

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by herschel34
I have always liked the idea of a 7mm magnum, and I have been tempted to taste the 7mm Mashburn Super kool-aid that BobinNH and Dober glorify. However, I don't want to have to make brass.

So, given the constraints of being able to buy brass, what is the "best" 7 magnum?

I have mixed feelings of the 7RM. I know its gets squirrely at high pressures. The one I have now shoots best at 280 Rem velocities, which doesn't take advantage of the extra case capacity.

Were I to look for a 7Mag again it'd be a Belgium Medallion Browning with no sights, beautiful rifles and they shoot well too, the heavier barrels on these particuler rifles help to balance out the slightly clubby stocks.

Pre-Salt of course.

Gunner

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a .280 AI and a 7mm rem, I won't try to say one is better than the other at the moment as I'm only just learning the 7mm rem.

The 7mm cartridge that I really like and pour research hours into is the 7mm Dakota, the velocities are a good step up over the 7mm rem and not far behind the 7mm ultra mag but for a heap less powder, the only thing stopping me getting one is there is no brass in Australia, midway will import some but it's dear as poison, and to buy all the forming dies to make my own is more trouble than I want. But for you blokes in the US with components available that's what I would go for.

If you want a barrel burning screamer look at the Lazaroni line of cartridges, a while back I did ask my gun smith to enquire about a reamer and the response was " NOT AVAILABLE " you have to buy our rifle.

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 42 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.