Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Didn't get to shoot last weekend and our spring bear trip is coming up quick (this weekend) so I headed out to make sure all is well with the Montucky.

In another thread I mentioned that I'd post some results shooting the 84M off my pack at medium range. For me, shooting the Kimber takes a little "technique" to control the muzzle jump. Not much recoil, but it can hop. Anyway, been doing a lot of prone shooting in the hills off of rests and bags. Haven't been shooting off my pack lately so I went out for a little practice.

Range was 480y, slight downhill, windy, drizzle, etc. Target is an 8.5" cast steel hub coupler.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In that other thread I mentioned I'd try shooting with the sling and fore-end control, and without. In hindsight I wish I would have put a paper target up.

With sling, I hit steel 2 out of 3 times. Saw the 2 hits, and saw 1 miss low and to the left, through the scope. Can see the dirt splash on the target. Have gotten a little rusty with my field shooting...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Then shot three with no sling and no forearm control. Didn't hit steel at all. Due to the muzzle jump, I didn't see where the impacts were (lost sight picture).

When I went to inspect the target I noticed some holes in my new hanger! One was close to the target, the other way high. Not sure about the third.

Then the sun peeked out when I was out of ammo crazy

Lesson learned? I've gotten lazy using rests and bags. Don't use bipods but I do have my spotter tripod and shooting sticks on/in my pack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot better off of a backpack than off pretty much anything else. There's something to be said for both being prone and using a soft rest that won't bounce. I try to do all of my shooting off a pack now.

The Kimber looks Minute of Bruin at any rate. Cool rifle.

Tanner

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like you need to practice your sitting as well. Another couple weeks of growth on the ground cover and prone won't be an option from that shooting position!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The 7000ci Kifaru with my normal day-hunting gear is like a freaking body rest/pillow. When I was trying to decide what size pack to order I never thought about it as a shooting aid. Seems that I can get on-target a lot faster compared to other rests or my smaller packs.

Shooting bags and rests are in storage until its time to work up a new load grin

Jason

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You ain't kidding PG. It'll start growing fast.

Last few weeks I've been looking for new shooting areas in the coastrange. Actually pretty dang hard to find a decent spot where you can shoot from prone. East of the Cascades its dry though.

I've shot the Kimber with my elbows on my knees and with the sticks. Going to test out the tripod too.

My hat's off to the loggers though. They leave stumps at just the right height for shooting grin

Jason

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good luck on the bears. Still another 10 days before I'll be able to get out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is one heck of a pack. From what you're saying that apparently works in your favor though. Nice lookin country too. Always liked the PNW.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shooting off the pack is a valuable part of getting ready and you were correct in getting out there. I've shot quite a few elk off my Eberlestock and soon look forward to the Kuiu 6000. I have never able to get "prone" due to hillside/game angle or deep snow. I've used either a modified kneeling technique and a seated position.
Good luck on your bear hunt.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I shoot well off a pack but I've found nothing is as steady as a bipod. For me anyway.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictorial - thanks for sharing. Practicing like the actual hunt scenario is always best.

Best of luck on the bruins.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Do you think the sling tension, or lack there of, caused a different POA/POI intersection.... or do you think you simply shot better with the sling?

I'm not very good with a sling, and I know I cause POI issues when using one. When shooting off the pack I prefer left hand on top of the scope to manage recoil and see impact.... but this makes me wonder about giving the sling another shot.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Do you think the sling tension, or lack there of, caused a different POA/POI intersection.... or do you think you simply shot better with the sling?

I'm not very good with a sling, and I know I cause POI issues when using one. When shooting off the pack I prefer left hand on top of the scope to manage recoil and see impact.... but this makes me wonder about giving the sling another shot.

Great question. Was gonna ask the same thing. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the sling is effecting barrel vibration,causing a shift in POI, or if the downward sling tension naturally causes the shooter to pull shots lower.

With a floated barrel,the sling should not cause POI shift.Or at least I have always set up synthetic stocked rifle with floated barrel just for that reason.

But I think a really light rifle can be a bit more sensitive to variations in hold(with/without a tight sling,for example).

Might add I think Jason is doing well with the light rifle at almost 500 yards.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/28/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Yes that is a point to consider. In addition to what Bob said, I looked at my shooting position with a sling and I see a down and leftward pull when I'm in the sling. If I am on a pack, which is usually in the upright position, to get over brush and snow, I don't use the sling.

The only solution would be to keep a long running comparison between the use of a sling on a pack vs. just using the pack. Even then it might be hard to compare.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
I shoot well off a pack but I've found nothing is as steady as a bipod. For me anyway.

Travis

Me too -

I can shoot well off of a pack prone but prefer a bipod that swivels which allows me to prone out or shoot from sitting at ease.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What scope is that?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just out of curiosity, what do the groups look like at 100 and 200 off the pack?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
What scope is that?

Looks like a fixed 6x with the M1 added.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep. 6x42.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,497
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.