Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Do they come with a thread protector? If not, then it's more money and time for the solution. I hate muzzle brakes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
They get ripped off by the brush, never to be seen again. I won't own them.

Going through this stuff

[Linked Image]

Hiking through the warm side of the hill through the manzanita to glass the cool side of the hill again Dennis?

grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kududude

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Keep in mind that American Rifleman's accuracy test is much more stringent than the cherry picking of a single 3 shot group that so often goes on in Internet Land.

Prairie Goat,

Several years ago, I was given the task of shooting a (Famous Brand) .416 Rigby rifle for 100-rounds. The idea was to see if everything was just fine and dandy before they sent it off to the American Rifleman.

By the end of the 100-rounds, the three-blade standing rib rear sight was off (it was attached by ONE 6X48 screw), the floorplace would no longer hold closed, the front sight ramp was also off (again, one 6X48 screw) and there was a crack behind the tang.

I wrote up my findings and gave the rifle back to the manufacturer.

They told me that they'd patch it up and send it to the NRA ... No problem, they like pretty rifles and never shoot the rifles.

I thought it was funnier than Hell when Finn Aagaard found that the standing rib rear sight went flying off of the rifle upon firing ... and the front sight flew off, as well ... and the hinged floorplate was dangling.

The Darwin Hensley stock was really pretty in the photos. Too bad the metal part wasn't worth a $hit.

It just might have been a smart thing for them to have used a couple of screws on both the front and rear sights, maybe even BIG ones grin

I love an honest test and I believe that most serious hunters do, as well.

kd

KofO BGR...... Wasnt there something about one of the sight screw holes being bored clear through in to the rifling? It were purty though.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
D in AZ,
Ok I see that all the oak brush and what not is going to do a lot of grabbing.
I guess I would come up with a carry system where the entire rifle is protected while negotiating that maize.
The Eberlestock would protect the rifle as most of it is slid into its compartment.
Otherwise, I see your point.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have avoided this thread so far, but feel compelled to make some comments:

1) I agree with prairie_goat on the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN's accuracy tests. Five, 5-shot groups in a row, with three kinds of factory ammo, is a more stringent test of basic accuracy than the typical 3-shot groups with a best handload usually cited by most Campfire members. This is exactly why most AR accuracy tests aren't all that impressive to hunters used to firing 3-shot groups.

While statisticians argue about the potential difference in 3-shot and 5-shot groups, in my experience 3-shot groups average around 6/10ths as wide as 5-shot groups. The best load in the accuracy test would then average about an inch for 3-shot groups, which is plenty for shooting big game out to 500 yards. I know this because I've done it, repeatedly, with rifles that would "only" average an inch (or even 1-1/4") at 100 yards for 3-shot groups.

In fact, statistically 3-shot groups at 100 yards are pretty useless for testing the ACTUAL accuracy potential of hunting rifles at various ranges--or even point of impact. I'm working on an article on what really helps statistically in range testing for AR, which will go a long way toward explaining why this is so.

2)The AR testing protocol requires FACTORY loads. There's a bunch of good factory ammo out there these days, but generally very light hunting rifles are more load sensitive than heavier rifles. My bet, based on the results, is that handloads could be easily developed for the test rifle that would average under 3/4" for 3-shot groups, which would make even most Campfire nit-pickers happy.

3) A lot of the comments here indicate that, once again, many people didn't read the whole article, or even do much except look at the photos and accuracy chart. That's typical today, when most people spend a lot more time reading their smart phones than magazine articles, much less books.

I haven't shot an Ascent and probably won't, and if I did probably wouldn't was as enthusiastic if I wrote a review. But there is a difference between shooting MAYBE three 3-shot groups with handloads developed for a rifle, and five, 5-shot groups with factory ammo. The first is for bragging, and the second is for reality, for most hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess I am missing something. When my rifle will consistently shoot decent three shot 100 yard groups (for me that is around 1 1/2") such as those of my 338-06 with the 225 gr AB below it isn't for bragging rather hunting, which I did taking both a nice black and grizzly bear a few months later. That load was first try out using VV-N550 so I called it done. Better still is the fact that zero has never changed on this rifle since I put it together in 1995.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ed,

Yes, you're missing something. I just stated that repetitive 5-shot groups with factory ammo are not the same as 3-shot groups with handloads. If you fired 5-shot groups with the same rifle, using three varieties of factory ammo (hard to do in the .338-06, admittedly) then they wouldn't look as nice as the ones in your photo. They would also measure around 1-1/2 times as wide--though their effectiveness is the field wouldn't change. THAT'S what I'm saying, and is exactly why judging the Kimber Ascent's accuracy on the group sizes in the article isn't valid.

But you're not missing the fact (unlike some others who've posted in this thread) that 3-shot 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards are plenty for all but the most extreme-range big game hunting.

However, MOST Campfire members are looking for the smallest 3-shot group (often one of out several, since all exceptions are called "fliers") so they can brag about it.

And I would be willing to bet serious money that the very same Kimber Ascent in the article would average much better than 1-1/2" for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, given minimal work-up with handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And I would be willing to bet serious money that the very same Kimber Ascent in the article would average much better than 1-1/2" for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, given minimal work-up with handloads.

Give me some Lapua brass, a Redding or Forster "competition" seater, a pound of 4895 or 4064, some 165 gr. Sierras, and I bet it would. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And in the same month of the same magazine they tested a Weatherby Vanguard Back Country that went 6 libs 12oz. Again in a .30-06.

Group size: 1.74-1.92-2.22 for and average of 1.96.

MSRP: $1399.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Greg- I was actually on top of a ridge when I took that photo. Climbed up an old burn to look into the next canyon and north slope. Luckily the north face was mostly burned so the manzanitas were smaller.

BW. The plant in the photo is a manzanita bush- they are typically fire re-growth plants between 4500'-6000'. Above that and you start seeing locust. There are places where is a solid field of manzanitas for several miles. It is basically impenetrable. I can bust through a little to get past a bad area and that is what usually rips the covers off. I often have the rifle in my hand because it sticks up to far to even get through the tunnels in the brush otherwise.

Here is the backside of that bush

[Linked Image]

All that to get here!

[Linked Image]

I will shoot that Ascent next week- maybe (they've closed our forests) and see how it does. Spent $900 today at Bruno's on bullets and powder- gotta stay away from there!

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Neat spot! Ever worry about big cats sneaking up behind you?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found it interesting that the author of the article stated he didn't allow time for the barrel to cool down between shots or even groups of shots. Hadn't been stated here...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks D in AZ.. Reminiscent of the cursed willows/alders and devils club of AK..

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I do hate that Devils club!

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uphunter,

I handled a Kimber Ascent again today. Kimber is doing the right thing bringing out new products. They have really established that with the Montana rifles.

If you need something that light ok with me. For me the Kimber 84M Montana is the landmark rifle.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here is the Kimber with a March S 3-24 on it.

[Linked Image]

Here is a little better of just the scope

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well...you did a great job mounting that scope...I'd have assumed that combo wouldn't have a happy ending....

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kinda big! Is it a sunshade that effects the scale? But if it works!

Last edited by sidepass; 05/03/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sunshade makes it bigger than it already is!! It uses 8-40 screws so I think the mounts will hold that big scope and the recoil. I wish it didn't have the muzzle brake.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hacksaw will fix that.

John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,614
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.