I have avoided this thread so far, but feel compelled to make some comments:

1) I agree with prairie_goat on the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN's accuracy tests. Five, 5-shot groups in a row, with three kinds of factory ammo, is a more stringent test of basic accuracy than the typical 3-shot groups with a best handload usually cited by most Campfire members. This is exactly why most AR accuracy tests aren't all that impressive to hunters used to firing 3-shot groups.

While statisticians argue about the potential difference in 3-shot and 5-shot groups, in my experience 3-shot groups average around 6/10ths as wide as 5-shot groups. The best load in the accuracy test would then average about an inch for 3-shot groups, which is plenty for shooting big game out to 500 yards. I know this because I've done it, repeatedly, with rifles that would "only" average an inch (or even 1-1/4") at 100 yards for 3-shot groups.

In fact, statistically 3-shot groups at 100 yards are pretty useless for testing the ACTUAL accuracy potential of hunting rifles at various ranges--or even point of impact. I'm working on an article on what really helps statistically in range testing for AR, which will go a long way toward explaining why this is so.

2)The AR testing protocol requires FACTORY loads. There's a bunch of good factory ammo out there these days, but generally very light hunting rifles are more load sensitive than heavier rifles. My bet, based on the results, is that handloads could be easily developed for the test rifle that would average under 3/4" for 3-shot groups, which would make even most Campfire nit-pickers happy.

3) A lot of the comments here indicate that, once again, many people didn't read the whole article, or even do much except look at the photos and accuracy chart. That's typical today, when most people spend a lot more time reading their smart phones than magazine articles, much less books.

I haven't shot an Ascent and probably won't, and if I did probably wouldn't was as enthusiastic if I wrote a review. But there is a difference between shooting MAYBE three 3-shot groups with handloads developed for a rifle, and five, 5-shot groups with factory ammo. The first is for bragging, and the second is for reality, for most hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck