Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
UP, If you are committed to the Ascent, that is your choice. From that point, I'd give the nod to the .270 over the .308 for down range ballistics. I'd be pursuing the .277 bullet lineup for some of the top BC values and checking what the Ascent likes. A cursory glance shows the 140 and 150 gr Accubond as being close to .500.
Good luck

That makes no sense. If you're going LA, and choose the .270 for downrange performance, you've chosen the worst of the three options in the LA for downrange performance. Either the .280AI or the .30-06 offer better downrange performance options than the .270 when factoring in BC. In short action, to save weight (and if you're getting the KMA, then you are counting grams), the .308 offers sufficient downrange performance based upon the BC options in 168-180 grain offerings.

If you read his posts, he already is leaning towards the .270Win.. He is going sheep hunting and doesn't need a the AI or 30-06. He seems committed to the two combinations. I put in the .308 for the "inherent accuracy" factor.
If it were me, I'd go Montana in 270Win..
He already has a 300WSM, so he has that upper end covered.

I read his posts. I also read yours.

It doesn't seem like he "needs" another rifle at all, and is simply trying to justify the KMA in .270. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't due to "need".

If it were me, I'd go with a Montana, easily, as well (though a different chambering).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.