Originally Posted by UPhunter
I am looking into buying a Kimber Ascent and I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber to purchase. I could use some help on this topic, but first here are my thoughts on this.

The Kimber ascent is only available in 270, 280AI,308,30-06.

I already own a Browning TI in 300wsm. 5lbs 8oz. I have taken elk and mule deer with this gun. Great gun, but overkill.

I like the Kimber and I would like a smaller caliber/lighter gun for deer, ram, elk... basically an all around gun for the west.

The 270 is nice since it is a popular, flat shooting and easy to obtain ammo if needed anywhere in the US. recoil is moderate

The 280 AI has great ballistics, however very limited on factory ammo. hard to find.

The 308 is extremely accurate, has the least recoil, easy to obtain ammo, wide factory ammo selection, but it is not a flat shooter, but has long range capabilities.

The 30-06 is a great round, popular, easy to find ammo, semi flat shooting, wide selection of ammo, however it has a healthy kick to it.

What are your thoughts??

I differ from many on the Mountain Ascent. I find it loaded down with excessive and expensive gimmickry that add up to a small amount of weight loss not really needed or wanted... my standard is if you need a muzzle break, you need to step down in power. And if 4 ounces make a big difference to you, you have no business on a mountain. I actually wish the Montana's had no.2 contours and 6-8 ounces more weight, not less.

YMMV.

Having said that, I'd pick an 84M 308 MT or 84L 270 MT... I've used both on elk, deer and antelope here, as well as the 84L 30-06 MT.

I find the 30-06 a bit too much of a good thing. Talking with those that have the 280 AI, it's similar in recoil (sharp and brisk).

The 308 is my all-time favorite Montana, and have used it on antelope to just past 400 yards. Works well on elk too.

The 270 MT is the most power I'd go in a light platform. I loaded mine with a variety of 150 grainers, but were I to do it again I'd go with 130's or no more than 140's, which are more than enough for all Western game.

BUT... the 308 is just so eager to please. Recoil is a non-issue. Works on game farther than any of us should be shooting BG.

Use the money you'd save sticking with a standard Montana, and stick a fine piece of glass on it with dots or turrets.

At the end of the day, cartridges are more alike than different, and the ability to compensate for drop levels the playing field between various "standard" cartridges. I'd rather have something I enjoy shooting, than something I have to "deal with." "Dealing with" starts right above the 270 Montana for me, so I'd call that particular chambering the end of the game, but only with lighter bullets... for me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery