Ed,

Yes, you're missing something. I just stated that repetitive 5-shot groups with factory ammo are not the same as 3-shot groups with handloads. If you fired 5-shot groups with the same rifle, using three varieties of factory ammo (hard to do in the .338-06, admittedly) then they wouldn't look as nice as the ones in your photo. They would also measure around 1-1/2 times as wide--though their effectiveness is the field wouldn't change. THAT'S what I'm saying, and is exactly why judging the Kimber Ascent's accuracy on the group sizes in the article isn't valid.

But you're not missing the fact (unlike some others who've posted in this thread) that 3-shot 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards are plenty for all but the most extreme-range big game hunting.

However, MOST Campfire members are looking for the smallest 3-shot group (often one of out several, since all exceptions are called "fliers") so they can brag about it.

And I would be willing to bet serious money that the very same Kimber Ascent in the article would average much better than 1-1/2" for 3-shot groups at 100 yards, given minimal work-up with handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck