Originally Posted by rifleman700
Originally Posted by cotis
To for the new Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08. It gets you the higher BC of the 7mm bullets and the same weight as the Ascent. I believe the rifle comes with both a muzzle brake and a thread protector for the barrel so the brake can be removed.

+1 on the Adirondack in 7mm-08.

I have shot a few lightweight rifles including the Ascent so I have my own opinions. I own a Rem700 Ti in 7mm-08 Ackley which is a tack driver. I also own and am currently re-barreling and restocking a Savage 11 lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. The Savage, to ME is a horrible rifle. The idea was good but the finished product sucked. It now has a Shilen #2 BBL and I am waiting for the McMillan Edge stock to arrive. The accu-trigger will also be replaced. These two I consider my mountain rifles.

The Ascent I shot was a 308 and it shot 1 moa with factory 155 Hornady Amax ammo very easily. If I would have been able to spend a little more time shooting it I am sure the groups would have been smaller. Very nice rifle.

Now to address some earlier comments.

Thinner barrels are not necessarily any less accurate than heavy barreled rifles. Yes, they heat up quicker and if there is any stress induced flaws in the bbls metallurgy they will walk once they heat up. My 700 Ti is a legitimate 1/2 moa gun. The problem with some skinny barreled rifles is that the barrels were probably not heat treated correctly after the machining process or stresses were induced in the machining process and never addressed. This is easily fixed. Just send it to 300 Below and have them cryo treat it. I have done this with a couple of factory bbls and have been happy with the results.

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain. 1 day is not 10 days and every oz. does matter. Getting out of your pickup and climbing up the hill for a day is not a real high mountain hunt. A true high alpine hunt requires specialized equipment to be successful. My equipment and rifles differ depending on what and where I am hunting. My AZ elk rifle can be a little heavier because the physical requirements are not as demanding as my Utah mountain goat rifle. Spend some TIME on the mountain and then ask yourself if ozs. matter.

That's an amazing amount of bullchit into such a small space. Well done.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.