LOL
Not sure what I started on here, but again thanks for tarring it apart and rebuilding it!
This started with one gun and four possible calibers. I now have a grocery list on here from reloading supply's to enough rifles for an army. I am not a loony gun nut. I have a dozen rifles.

I will be giving the Ascent a try without a doubt. I know this angers some, but if one wants a Montana I say buy it, I want an Ascent. I don't need one, but I want to try one. For me if a guy wants a corvette and the salesman tries to sell him a Camaro because he likes them, that really bugs me. As hunting is my passion, I take it seriously when it comes to gear. The price is not a huge factor. I have that much into each of my archery rigs.

Lightweight guns are not for everybody. As I said before I may or may not like the gun, it might not be good for a remote hunt, but I won't know till I try it. I do know that I can handle a light weight gun very well and accurately and I enjoy them.

Caliber: I do not need a bullet any larger than 150gr as I have a small cannon already (300wsm in Browning TI). I am leaning towards the 270. Factory loads from 110-150 should do the trick. For me I like to get close to the game or it is not what I would call hunting. Most shots are 200yds and under. I do not need to shoot across a canyon. Jack O'Connor did alright with this caliber and it is 2nd in popularity ( 2nd most ammo sold) to the 30-06 if I'm not mistaken!!!

Weight: My first elk hunt was with archery in the wilderness. I packed in 62lbs with a smile on my face for 4.5 miles the crows path, probably 6.5 with the switchbacks. Elevation starting point was 8000, basecamp was 11500. My pack weighed 62lbs. I weighed 175 before the 8 day hunt and was in great shape. I needed a new belt when I got back. My addiction brought me back the next year but my pack weighed 38lbs. While I can and did carry many heavy loads , I just choose not to do that unless it is MEAT. I weigh everything in my pack and scrutinize my gear.

I'm not going to say who or what people do and don't belong on a mountain but, to say that one should not be on the mountain if someone has to consider 4 OZ is a stupid remark. I would gladly take a 10 lb rifle if that's all I had, and I would do it with a smile. I would not even notice a 4 OZ difference of weight. Once again I would like to give this gun a try.

It may not be legal to transport ammo inside the case with your rifle in every state. not sure of the law on that part. I am aware there are ways around losing the ammo, like sending an extra box of ammo to the area you will hunt. I would even have a spare rifle. but that's not the point. I'm looking at the overall access to ammo available and bullet weights. I'm not against reloading but with todays ammunition available it is not a huge deal.

I hope my hunting in the Sheep Unlimited Units are not going to be just an armed nature walk, but either way it will be amazing just to be there with a light weight rifle in hand and enjoying the views.

Thanks to all