Originally Posted by UPhunter

I already own a Browning TI in 300wsm. 5lbs 8oz. I have taken elk and mule deer with this gun. Great gun, but overkill.

I just skimmed thru the 14 pages... but it seems like you've already got the "lightweight rifle" thing covered.

I'm with Brad on the regular Montana in 308/7-08 being on the ragged edge for carry weight-vs-recoil. I shoot 120gr bullets in my 7-08 Montana and the recoil is fine but I honestly don't want more. I've debated going to a heavier bullet, but for ~500y shooting there isn't a whole lot to be gained for what I'm looking for... except more recoil. The 84M isn't impossible to shoot, but I think one needs to spend time with it to stay proficient. And not from a concrete bench or off the hood of the truck grin

The next closest rifle I had to the 7-08 was a T3 Lite in 270 Win. Compared to the Montana, it got obnoxious after less than 10 rounds from prone. And I consider myself a reformed recoil junky.

My 7-08 has a 6x42 on it, and I've considered a slightly heavier scope for a few reasons and wouldn't mind the extra weight for the reasons Brad stated earlier.

Jason