Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Keep in mind that American Rifleman's accuracy test is much more stringent than the cherry picking of a single 3 shot group that so often goes on in Internet Land.

Prairie Goat,

Several years ago, I was given the task of shooting a (Famous Brand) .416 Rigby rifle for 100-rounds. The idea was to see if everything was just fine and dandy before they sent it off to the American Rifleman.

By the end of the 100-rounds, the three-blade standing rib rear sight was off (it was attached by ONE 6X48 screw), the floorplace would no longer hold closed, the front sight ramp was also off (again, one 6X48 screw) and there was a crack behind the tang.

I wrote up my findings and gave the rifle back to the manufacturer.

They told me that they'd patch it up and send it to the NRA ... No problem, they like pretty rifles and never shoot the rifles.

I thought it was funnier than Hell when Finn Aagaard found that the standing rib rear sight went flying off of the rifle upon firing ... and the front sight flew off, as well ... and the hinged floorplate was dangling.

The Darwin Hensley stock was really pretty in the photos. Too bad the metal part wasn't worth a $hit.

It just might have been a smart thing for them to have used a couple of screws on both the front and rear sights, maybe even BIG ones grin

I love an honest test and I believe that most serious hunters do, as well.

kd