Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So I just got in a bidding war for this rifle and won....or lost depending on how you look at it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=412390624

I'm not even sure what I have, but it was light, compact and I thought the wood looked pretty nice, although I may have to whittle down those side panels. Is this a Brno VZ33? If it's not accurate, could I rebore to a 9.3x62? Should I have a gunsmith look it over before I shoot it? Any comments welcome, even if you think I bought a POS. Thanks

HR IC

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cool little rifle, I really like the stock. VZ33 are small ring mausers and the predecessor to the german g33/40. Judging by the pictures, your rifle is a Large Ring BRNO, so maybe a VZ-24? I'm sure someone with a little more mauser knowledge will stop by with a definite answer.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well being it still has the slots for stripper clips and thumb grove in the side of the receiver I would say it is at least a leftover military action. I am not an expert on the different Mauser actions but from the looks of things the bolt is done nicely. I can't tell if that is a commercial barrel or a military one turned down. I would not spend money having it rebored as you do not know how well the barrel was made. I built a nice .308 on an old 98 action and have another I may build on if I decide to spend the money on the bolt. The first one had a nice job done on the bolt but this one I have was done ugly. Maybe you will be lucky and this one will shoot well.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That's a sweet lil carbine,8x57Mauser is a way under rated cartridge here in the USA!!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If I had to guess, I'd think that what you have is a VERY nicely redone and sporterized military Mauser. Probably a VZ-24. If my experience with VZ-24's is any indication, you likely will have a very smooth action. And a VERY handy hunting rifle. The 8x57 cartridge with modern loads just flat-out WORKS! Much better than it is given credit for.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I don't know much about military Mausers either. The only
reason I thought it was a vz33 is because of the weight. I didn't think you could make a rifle that lightweight with a large ring. Thanks for the comments, keep em coming

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice little rifle and the safety is on the proper side. smile I would do a bit of stock leaning, leave it an 8x57 and hunt it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice little rifle and the safety is on the proper side. smile I would do a bit of stock leaning, leave it an 8x57 and hunt it.

This.

On all counts -- that left safety is good, as Ed notes!

John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a VZ24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good photos. IMO $410 for a nice looking sporterized Mauser, you won.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sweet piece of timber attached to the metal, for sure, and like everyone has said, the 8x57 is a killer. Ask a whole bunch of Allied troops in WWII.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
You bought a rifle do light it floats for pictures.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Just heard back from the seller. He doesn't know much about it either. He thinks it's a large ring so I guess it's a VZ-24. If so, you guys think it should be able to handle full power european loads? I do handload but I thought about picking up a box of factory ammo first just to see how it shoots before investing in all the reloading supplies.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Neat little rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This rifle will shoot any factory ammo you can find. It was built to do exactly that, after all.

Mauser magazines are made to fit one cartridge, and it will take more than a new barrel to change this gun to a reliable 9.3x62. Plus, a full power 8x57 is enough gun for anything you will shoot in North America. I would leave it alone if it were mine. Well, a scope would be nice smile

Beautiful rifle. I'm guessing it was for sale because the original owner is more recoil sensitive than he thought he was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a sporterized, CZ vz24.

Plans? Scope and shoot if no problems? Wood looks nice. Probably worth every penny you paid if it is in as good a shape as described.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dkevinbarnes
Just heard back from the seller. He doesn't know much about it either. He thinks it's a large ring so I guess it's a VZ-24. If so, you guys think it should be able to handle full power european loads? I do handload but I thought about picking up a box of factory ammo first just to see how it shoots before investing in all the reloading supplies.

I would drop by a 'smith and do a quick headspace check and confirm the bore diameter at .323" and if all was good I would have zero issue shooting CIP rated loads through it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dkevinbarnes
I do handload but I thought about picking up a box of factory ammo first just to see how it shoots before investing in all the reloading supplies.

Kevin,

Do you have dies for the 8x57? If not, I have a Pacific seating die that is yours for the asking... PM me if you like...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice acquisition!

Note that foreend treatment! Looks a lot like Ol' Bill Ruger's Alexander Henry style foreend. Did someone actually copy that on purpose or did it preexist on its own?

1B

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My plan is to scope it and shoot it as is. I only asked about reboring to a 9.3x62 or 9.3x57 as an option if the accuracy is not up to par. If it is confirmed to be a VZ-24, will Talley Lightweights for "Large Ring Mausers" fit?

I don't have a gunsmith in town to check the bore or headspace. Is this something I could check on my own? I've heard of using a sized case and adding layers of transparent "Scotch" tape to check headspace. Anyone know anything about this method.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate hearing from you guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,150
Posts18,502,825
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.