Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered 2 of the DPMS Gen IIs for R&D and really think this might be the better mousetrap in the large frame AR game.

With a medium contoured 20 inch barrel,new MI tube, riser, rings and a 4.5-14 it weighs 9 3/4 lbs.

I only have 100rnds through it but discounting a few short stroke while getting the gas port sized right it has functioned perfectly.

Shoots pretty good to with factory Hor Match 168gr AMAX.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I never could like the full sized AR-10s but this gun handles really well and fits the .308 sized rounds much better. I have some 6.5 blanks rifled and plan on a 6.5 Creedmoor with a fluted 22 inch barrel.

The .338 Federal with a light 16 or 18 inch barrel would also be an interesting thumper. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great news John! Thanks for your review. Was it the original DPMS barrel for that group?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice! I hope they produce them in 6.5 creedmor too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
same lousy triggers?

cheap pistol grips?

HUNTING ammo accuracy?

retail Price?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The trigger on the g2 I examined was very good.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did they change the diameter of the firing pin hole? This paired with their lack of handguard options (not a MI fan) and short gas system length's is what I dont like.

Innovative? Yes.
A game changer? Not sure about that.

Last edited by CBMJR; 05/08/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
tell me about the firing pin hole!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of DPMS and DPMS pattern bolts have a larger firing pin hole that allows the primer to flow creating excessive cratering. This is keeping some from loading to the rifles full potential. Even some factory loads may seem hot.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington makes the firing pin hole oversize on purpose, and DPMS is owned by the same people as Remington.

Google it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Remington makes the firing pin hole oversize on purpose, and DPMS is owned by the same people as Remington.

Google it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Last edited by CBMJR; 05/08/14.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I ordered 2 of the DPMS Gen IIs for R&D and really think this might be the better mousetrap in the large frame AR game.

They come with a barrel extension held on with setscrews?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is correct, I spoke to DPMS and they claimed 3 years of tests.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want a .243.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My little brother in-law just took possession of one of these. He got the "hunter" model that has an A2 stock and carbon fiber smooth tube forend. I got to fondle it but have not seen it shoot. He has reported to me that he's "hitting what [he's] aiming at," and I know that includes an 18" steel plate at 650 yds. Take that for what its worth. I did like the ergos as they felt familiar to me and it was waaay lighter than any AR-10 I've handled in the past.

If I learn more about how its reliability and accuracy are shaping up for him I'll report. I don't see him often as he lives waaaay out in the desert isolated and I am sadly stuck in the city.

I will say that at least this new platform has me thinking about the possibility of an AR in .308 again. Time and his beta testing will help though. One thing is this guy is not easy on gear. He hunts and shoots a lot of days of the year and goes hard at it. Plus, his environment is about as tough as any. He just doesn't know how to treat things nicely or with any TLC so if there is a chink in the armor he will expose it.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I always thought if they had originally made the AR type gun in 250 savage it would have been about perfect! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, now that you've rebarrelled one, what do you think of the barrel extension setup?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Did they change the diameter of the firing pin hole? This paired with their lack of handguard options (not a MI fan) and short gas system length's is what I dont like.

Innovative? Yes.
A game changer? Not sure about that.

Still using a 0.085 firing pin hole. Factory ammo has a nice primer crater. I don't think it will be an issue but I may have to bush it if it causes problems with handloads.

There will be lots of handguard options simply because of how easy it will be to modify existing AR-15 handguard for the Gen II. The barrel nut in the Gen II is the same outside diameter as the barrel nut in the AR-15. In fact the Gen II MI tube will install on the AR-15 MI barrel nut.

This gun really is going to be a game changer because of how well it handles. The average guy looking at large frame ARs in the LGS is going to choose the Gen II most of the time. Other manufactures are going to have to come out with a version or they will lose market share.

DPMS large frame ARs have always been pretty decent and they do know how to build them. The price point on the Gen II is also very attractive.

I have been using a lot of the newer Midwest Industries handguards for lighter weight guns and have really been impressed with the uptick in quality.

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

They come with a barrel extension held on with setscrews?

No. The barrel extension threads on to the barrel in the conventional manner but is smaller in diameter than the standard AR-10/SR-25/DPMS pattern guns.

There is a steel feed ramp insert in the upper that is held in with roll pins. The feed ramp is supported and there really does not appear to be any way it could come lose. The idea if using steel for the feed ramp instead of just machining the ramps into the aluminum of the upper looks to be more durable under hard use.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
John, now that you've rebarrelled one, what do you think of the barrel extension setup?

Eric,

I would say the design is really solid. By reducing the diameter of the barrel extension and the bolt carrier group DPMS has brought the feeding stack of cartridges 0.040 closer to the bore centerline.

This reduces the feed angle and this thing really does feed slick.

Add the dual ejectors and the elastomer extractor spring and I think the design is inherently more reliable than the old style.

A sub 10lbs .243 Gen II would make one heck of a coyote rifle.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just have a hard time believing the big boys like KAC and LMT are going to jump on the DPMS bus and redesign their .308's to save a few ounces. I could be wrong though, won't be the first time.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually the weight reduction is 1.25 lbs.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Comparing both DPMS hunter models it isn't. Looks like average weight savings is about 6-8oz when configured the same way.

Last edited by CBMJR; 05/09/14.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (10gaugemag, 673, 907brass, 79S, 19 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,481
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.