-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can see charges getting filed, but agree, the cruelty thing sticks a bit in my crawl.

Destruction of property and a HUGE civil penalty sounds right.

I dunno.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You, your crap, your family, and your dog are viewed with little sub human respect by LEO's, the justice system, and Liberals.

You'll be lucky if they even say ooops regarding any collateral damage

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/10/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
if the tables were turned and that would have been a police working dog the resident shot, he would be charged with murder as if the dog "officer" were a human.

No he wouldn't.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hurt the police dog and see what charges you get.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's for damn sure be a felony and the public would be on the hook for a full on police funeral.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My point is, they would charge you with as much as possible and roll you over the coals in a heartbeat.

They usually have no regard for you and yours

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If it's not animal cruelty, what do you call it when,...
You intentionally shoot a dog,
Intentionally leave it wounded,
Intentionally let it suffer,
And, intentionally will not deliver a finishing shot?

Sounds pretty cruel to me...

I agree that shooting your dog to euthanize it or end it's suffering should NOT be considered "animal cruelty", (which I believe IS, and against the law in my state of Kansas), but I also don't think it's anywhere remotely close to what this cop did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
if the tables were turned and that would have been a police working dog the resident shot, he would be charged with murder as if the dog "officer" were a human.

No he wouldn't.

Hurt the police dog and see what charges you get.

A SJF or a F2. Texas Penal Code 38.151

Sec. 38.151. INTERFERENCE WITH POLICE SERVICE ANIMALS. (a) In this section:
(1) "Area of control" includes a vehicle, trailer, kennel, pen, or yard.
(2) "Handler or rider" means a peace officer, corrections officer, or jailer who is specially trained to use a police service animal for law enforcement, corrections, prison or jail security, or investigative purposes.
(3) "Police service animal" means a dog, horse, or other domesticated animal that is specially trained for use by a handler or rider.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person recklessly:
(1) taunts, torments, or strikes a police service animal;
(2) throws an object or substance at a police service animal;
(3) interferes with or obstructs a police service animal or interferes with or obstructs the handler or rider of a police service animal in a manner that:
(A) inhibits or restricts the handler's or rider's control of the animal; or
(B) deprives the handler or rider of control of the animal;
(4) releases a police service animal from its area of control;
(5) enters the area of control of a police service animal without the effective consent of the handler or rider, including placing food or any other object or substance into that area;
(6) injures or kills a police service animal; or
(7) engages in conduct likely to injure or kill a police service animal, including administering or setting a poison, trap, or any other object or substance.
(c) An offense under this section is:
(1) a Class C misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(1);
(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(2);
(3) a Class A misdemeanor if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(3), (4), or (5);
(4) except as provided by Subdivision (5), a state jail felony if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by injuring a police service animal or by engaging in conduct likely to injure the animal; or
(5) a felony of the second degree if the person commits an offense under Subsection (b)(6) or (7) by:
(A) killing a police service animal or engaging in conduct likely to kill the animal;
(B) injuring a police service animal in a manner that materially and permanently affects the ability of the animal to perform as a police service animal; or
(C) engaging in conduct likely to injure a police service animal in a manner that would materially and permanently affect the ability of the animal to perform as a police service animal.

My point is, they would charge you with as much as possible and roll you over the coals in a heartbeat.

They usually have no regard for you and yours

And my point is that you're just spouting off at the mouth. Which is fine, just don't get butt hurt when somebody recognizes it for what it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the record, I think it's stupid to get charged with injuring a police dog too.

Those police dogs knew it was a dangerous job when they signed up for it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You, your crap, your family, and your dog are viewed with little sub human respect by LEO's, the justice system, and Liberals.

You'll be lucky if they even say ooops regarding any collateral damage

Whatever the issue might be, whether it�s mass surveillance, no-knock raids, or the right to freely express one�s views about the government, we�ve moved into a new age in which the rights of the citizenry are being treated as a secondary concern by the White House, Congress, the courts and their vast holding of employees, including law enforcement officials.
~ John W. Whitehead

This epidemic of LEOs shooting our dogs is a calculated act of oppression; as the LEOs means to inflict the greatest grief and harm that they could upon citizens without suffering any real consequences for their heinous actions. Perhaps, Candy will both get justice and turn the tide against LEOs slaughtering of our dogs with impunity.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rovering
This epidemic of LEOs shooting our dogs

I didn't know an officer had shot your dog. I'm sorry to hear that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Not mine, but a great many other dogs have and continue to be shot by you and / or your colleagues:

National Review - Puppycide

A surprising number of dogs are shot by cops. A new documentary looks at the problem.

On a Sunday afternoon in October of this year, Gabrielle Stropkai�s dog was shot by a police officer investigating a burglary nearby. The dog �was walking by and went �ruff ruff� � just a couple of little ruffs,� a neighbor of the Stropkais� told local television in Boise, Idado. But �she didn�t jump at him or anything.� In response, the owner remembers, the officer �pulled his weapon, asked whose dog it was, and shot her in the back of the head.� The dog died instantly.

The Stropkais are not alone in their grief. A Google search for �dog shot by police officer� returns countless stories from across the United States. YouTube, too, is full of harrowing videos. There is even a website, the bluntly titled �Dogs That Cops Killed� blog, which seeks to �collect a few of the innumerable instances of police officers killing dogs� and to push back against the �wars on drugs, peace, and liberty.�

This unlovely trend has claimed the attention of Patrick Reasonover, a libertarian filmmaker in California who is currently raising money for a proposed documentary, Puppycide, through the crowdsourcing service Kickstarter. �We�re excited by this one,� Reasonover tells me, �because on so many issues � the War on Drugs, for example � it�s impossible to move the ball. You can feature the problems with the drug war, but there are so many embedded interests that one documentary isn�t really going to solve the problem. With this issue, however? We feel that it could.�

Around eight months ago, Reasonover began to notice the proliferation of online videos of police officers shooting dogs. �People were going nuts about it,� he recalls. �There were tons of views on these things. We had dogs and we were disturbed, so we thought we�d reach out and start contacting some of the victims.� In doing so, he quickly learned that the news reports and the published footage were only the beginning of the story. Because police departments don�t keep easily accessible records of dog shootings, it is hard to gauge the scale. A recent review of public records by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals concluded that almost half of all firearms discharges by police officers involve the shooting of a dog. But nobody really knows.

Indeed, even animal-rights activists aren�t fully aware of the numbers in their communities. �They would tell us that there were, say, five news stories on these dogs that got shot,� Reasonover says. �But through my digging and persistence I found out that actually, you know, 22 were shot and no one ever knew.� One thing led to another, and he discovered that �there is a set of people who are working across the nation, through lawsuits or legislation or appealing to the Justice Department.� As part of his project, Reasonover is hoping to file Freedom of Information Act requests in all major cities and jurisdictions in the U.S. and to get hold of all firearm-discharge records. From that, he hopes to assemble a better list.

It may make brutal reading. A recent lawsuit in Milwaukee filed by a woman whose dog was killed forced that city to compile its records. �They found that a dog was shot every seven days,� Reasonover says. �Just in Milwaukee.� And, unless something changes, the number will only continue to rise. �Over the course of the past forty or fifty years, dogs have moved from the barnyard to the back yard to the bedroom,� Ledy Vankavage, the senior legislative attorney at Best Friends Animal Society, has observed. In the meantime, the drug war has been ratcheted up, terrorism has become a pressing concern, and, as Radley Balko has so distressingly chronicled, the police have become increasingly militarized. �You have this recipe for these police entering our lives more and more and more,� Reasonover explains. �The dogs are there, and so they are killed.�

�And then the police conduct their own investigation, and nothing happens.�

Fear of being disciplined or sued is enough to push many to insist that they had no other option. �Plenty of police apologize,� Reasonover concedes, �but in a lot of instances, they say, �Your dog was aggressive, we did what we needed to do.�� In raising awareness, the Puppycide team hopes that police forces will start to offer training to their officers. �In most cases, a dog won�t charge at you unless it�s trained to. But most cops don�t know that, so they see the dog there barking aggressively; they take that as aggressive behavior, and they shoot it.�

Reasonover believes that the issue will be of interest across the political spectrum. �One of the reasons we�ve felt so excited about this documentary is that there are a lot of communities there who would share this view. At first, we thought it would be liberty-oriented people who knew our work from before. But in the past two days, we think it�s just everyone at large. Left and Right. We�ve even had people who are cat owners!�

Nevertheless, making a documentary about such a touchy subject is going to present some challenges. Reasonover and his colleagues had to recut the trailer on their Kickstarter page after potential donors complained that it was too distressing. �We included the terrible footage because we thought it was important for people to see the reality of the situation,� he tells me. �But a lot of dog owners and animal-welfare advocates basically told us that they couldn�t watch the video � it was too painful. So we have a new trailer, and it tells the story in a way that sets the stage and the tone but doesn�t show the graphic content.�

I ask Reasonover whether this will present a problem when it comes to the final cut. After all, if people are disturbed by the trailer, how will they cope with a full film? He�s not worried. �We are going to position these moments in a structured story and pace out the terrible bits,� he tells me. �We�ll have the good things about dogs and the heroes who are changing the way things are done. It won�t be compressed.� One of the problems with creating a trailer, Reasonover adds, is that it is difficult to get people to believe that this is actually happening. �People don�t think it�s true until you show them,� he says, �because they just think, �Well, cops are there to help people.� But it is.�

A happy warrior, he ends on an upbeat note. �This is a solvable problem. And the documentary will go a long way to solving it.�

� Charles C. W. Cooke is a staff writer for National Review.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/362980/puppycide-charles-c-w-cooke

Every 98 minutes, a dog is shot by law enforcement.

https://twitter.com/PUPPYCIDE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not mine, but

Oh, nevermind.

The phrase "our dogs" obviously included your dog. I assumed that what you posted was the truth and that a cop had shot your dog. Since what you posted wasn't true, I'll stop feeling so bad about your dog. I'm glad to hear he's OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I need to bring this to market. Put this on pooch before you dial 911......

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I had a paper route when I was a kid.

,..got dog bit several times,...never shot a dog.

,...woulda been bad for business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better yet, just don't dial 911.

Few situations actually improve when you call the police.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm way behind, 16 yrs and no dog kills under my belt. In fact, I can only think of a 3 or 4 department wide in that time frame.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remembering precisely what the 'Campfire' LEOs are here excusing and making into a joke is important:

Candy Middleton before

[Linked Image]

and after her all too typical interaction with a LEO.

[Linked Image]

Ask yourselves for what kind of person is this a joke?

Dogs, especially working dogs like Candy, are vitally important, contributing, and loved members of families and have been since the far reaches of prehistory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After you've lied to us, it's hard to know what to believe from you.

Trust is earned.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
After you've lied to us, it's hard to know what to believe from you.

Trust is earned.

My use of 'our' in the aggregate sense for all American dog owners and our dogs that have and are being shot by you (again an aggregate or collective term) was / is in no way a lie.

I do not know how I could possibly 'write down' for your reading level, when a three letter word is too much for you.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, AKislander, 7 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,078
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.