Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1899guy
Given the design of the rifle, I really think that most, but not all, tang cracks on the Savage 99 come not from recoil and bad tang-to-stock-fit, but from side banging. I plan to do all my travels with hard sided gun cases on the 99's from now on for this reason. By shimming that lower tang as much as you did, I think it takes away from the guns appearance.

Thank you! Discussion over. grin grin

LOL
GB1

Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
I have to agree also. Relieve the wood at the top tang and maintain good fit on the bottom and sides.

Filing away wood at the top tang should work fine if your 99 is just a shooter but would otherwise distract from any collector value.

The picture I posted showing excessive relief in the upper tang was for illustration purposes only, the camera was set to macro and as I mentioned, the buttstock bolt wasn't completely tightened. The actual relief is hardly noticeable.
In fact, the picture above that one showing the tang from another 99 also has a shim, that's actually how it should look.

The recoil lug is called the recoil lug for a reason, that's where the recoil is supposed to be, no?

I made a mistake in the thickness of the shims that I use, it should read .020 mm, not .050.

There's no way you can convince me that hundreds of thousands of 99's have cracks caused by sideways movement. If that's the case, us 99 owners must be a clumsy lot!

As I mentioned before, since I've been using shims, no more cracks on my Savage 1899's!

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/07/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems like moisture content might have something to do with it. Remember that 99 that cracked sitting in my safe? I bought it from Missouri and unless I just flat out missed seeing it, two weeks later I took it out and it was plainly cracked.

Just guessin'.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/07/14.

LOL
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
When I received my 1959 EG .308 both sides of the stock was cracked and when I removed it for closer examination I found that the small ears for lack of a better word that fits into the frame was also cracked indicating that side pressure was the cause of the cracks. To repair this after removing the stock I relieved the wood from the damaged area from the inside and filled with Accra glass. You can hardly see the repairs and the stock is stronger now than ever before. So I have a serviceable original stock that will last as long as the rifle.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Seems like moisture content might have something to do with it. Remember that 99 that cracked sitting in my safe? I bought it from Missouri and unless I just flat out missed seeing it, two weeks later I took it out and it was plainly cracked.

Just guessin'.

Lack of moisture is definitely a factor, solid wood acoustic guitars with a top as thin as 3/16 have been known to crack if not kept in a humidity controlled environment, especially in the winter when humidity is low.
But if that's a major cause, wouldn't you find more 99's with tang cracks in northern climates?
I live in canada and only one of my 99's has a small crack.

Just an observation.

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/07/14.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used brass shims on half a dozen 1899s where it was obvious that the stock had shrunk away from the recoil lug and the tang was digging into its in-letting. Never had one of these crack or have any side to side or up and down movement. I like the shims in guns I don't want to alter in any way. I've glass bedded and relieved wood in less collectable guns. I have 2, .300 Savage Gs with brass shims that I've fired hundreds of rounds in while developing loads, practicing with peep sights and hunting.

I'll show you a "Savage Crack"
[Linked Image]
That's what happens when you slip and fall on your Savage. Blew out the side of the receiver, cracked the wrist and tang in-letting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clumsy Savage owners... wink

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by EGSavage
As everyone here already knows, the Savage 99, unlike other lever guns, is hammerless, with a rotary magazine.
Because of the way the bolt works, there isn't much wood in the tang area.

That, combined with other factors such as the stock bolt working loose, wood drying out and shrinking over time, direction of wood grain in the tang area, oil soaked wood, and improper inletting from the factory, can result in the tang cracking from repeated firing.

Here is a way to prevent the majority of Savage 99 tang cracks, or stopping an existing crack from spreading.......

I didn't develop this method myself, but having tried it with good results, I've decided to post it here with pics to help out anyone who might be interested.

Basically you have to remove the buttstock and shim up the recoil lug on the lower tang.
When done right, this will allow some relief on the upper tang where the wood meets the metal.

Remove the butt plate and insert a 10" long flathead screwdriver to remove the stock bolt.

Be careful when removing the stock, make sure the screwdriver is not between the bolt head and the wood as this could cause a crack.

I use brass shim stock, (usually comes in rolls, from machine shops or tool supply shops)
Cut it to the right size using good quality tin snips and finish it off using a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool.
Bend it around the recoil lug so it fits in snugly between there and the wood.

Drill or punch a hole in the brass shim so the stock bolt will pass through.

Trim and taper all edges with a Dremel tool with the stone bit attachment.
make sure there are no sharp edges, steep edges, or burrs.

Make sure the shim is thick enough to provide the necessary relief on the upper tang, but not so thick that you can't bend it around the lug,
about .050 mm thick seems to work fine for me.

Put the buttstock on and tighten everything back up.

If anyone needs any more pics or info, or has anything else to add, feel free to contact me..

The classic Savage model 1899, a 1914 SRC in 30-30...
(matching numbers)

[Linked Image]

The Savage model 99 tang area that's prone to cracking...

[Linked Image]

Savage 99 recoil lug....

[Linked Image]

my homemade brass shim....

[Linked Image]

Brass shim bent around the recoil lug...

[Linked Image]

Brass shim fitted into the lower tang of the buttstock...

[Linked Image]

Buttstock re-installed, now with relief at the upper tang provided by the brass shim...

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/savage99toptangwrelief_zpscf8dcbe3.jpg[/img]

Lower tang with shim in place between the recoil lug and stock...

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/a...angwithshiminplace_zpsb72b1d3c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/DSC00006_zpsc1730e20.jpg[/img]

1940 Savage 99EG in 303 Savage, ready to shoot with no worries of the tang cracking....
Maybe I'll take a deer with it this coming season!

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/Savage99EG303_zpse4f92dca.jpg[/img]

I'm probably missing something here, but is there a reason why the shim couldn't be some kind of thin rubber material such as a very thin inner tube patch or the like? Seems like a rubber shim would not only provide space but a little dampening as well.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm... Never thought of that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sayak
As everyone here already knows, the Savage 99, unlike other lever guns, is hammerless, with a rotary magazine.
Because of the way the bolt works, there isn't much wood in the tang area.

That, combined with other factors such as the stock bolt working loose, wood drying out and shrinking over time, direction of wood grain in the tang area, oil soaked wood, and improper inletting from the factory, can result in the tang cracking from repeated firing.

Here is a way to prevent the majority of Savage 99 tang cracks, or stopping an existing crack from spreading.......

I didn't develop this method myself, but having tried it with good results, I've decided to post it here with pics to help out anyone who might be interested.

Basically you have to remove the buttstock and shim up the recoil lug on the lower tang.
When done right, this will allow some relief on the upper tang where the wood meets the metal.

Remove the butt plate and insert a 10" long flathead screwdriver to remove the stock bolt.

Be careful when removing the stock, make sure the screwdriver is not between the bolt head and the wood as this could cause a crack.

I use brass shim stock, (usually comes in rolls, from machine shops or tool supply shops)
Cut it to the right size using good quality tin snips and finish it off using a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool.
Bend it around the recoil lug so it fits in snugly between there and the wood.

Drill or punch a hole in the brass shim so the stock bolt will pass through.

Trim and taper all edges with a Dremel tool with the stone bit attachment.
make sure there are no sharp edges, steep edges, or burrs.

Make sure the shim is thick enough to provide the necessary relief on the upper tang, but not so thick that you can't bend it around the lug,
about .050 mm thick seems to work fine for me.

Put the buttstock on and tighten everything back up.

If anyone needs any more pics or info, or has anything else to add, feel free to contact me..

The classic Savage model 1899, a 1914 SRC in 30-30...
(matching numbers)

[Linked Image]

The Savage model 99 tang area that's prone to cracking...

[Linked Image]

Savage 99 recoil lug....

[Linked Image]

my homemade brass shim....

[Linked Image]

Brass shim bent around the recoil lug...

[Linked Image]

Brass shim fitted into the lower tang of the buttstock...

[Linked Image]

Buttstock re-installed, now with relief at the upper tang provided by the brass shim...

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/savage99toptangwrelief_zpscf8dcbe3.jpg[/img]

Lower tang with shim in place between the recoil lug and stock...

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/a...angwithshiminplace_zpsb72b1d3c.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/DSC00006_zpsc1730e20.jpg[/img]

1940 Savage 99EG in 303 Savage, ready to shoot with no worries of the tang cracking....
Maybe I'll take a deer with it this coming season!

[img]http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t469/sully1899/Savage99EG303_zpse4f92dca.jpg[/img]

I'm probably missing something here, but is there a reason why the shim couldn't be some kind of thin rubber material such as a very thin inner tube patch or the like? Seems like a rubber shim would not only provide space but a little dampening as well.

May turn out to be a temperature sensitive shooting iron after bedding with something like rubber.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Maybe, but rubber couldn't get any harder than brass!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sayak
Maybe, but rubber couldn't get any harder than brass!

The point is that rubber bedding can change. The cushy bedding you sighted in your rifle in summer could change POI under the cold of winter.

Every once in a while, a gun writer will publish an article on bedding with silicone sealant for some of the same reasons as mentioned above for rubber. For some reason, the practice has never becomes popular.

Do it. Report back after a year of experience. You may be on to something.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm with gnoahh on this, about not shimming, and wanted to add that most people are overlooking the importance of cheekpiece to receiver fit. If you've ever restocked a 99 you should have figured out that the design is based on recoil being shared equally on the recoil (bottom) lug and the flats of the cheekpieces that butt up against the receiver. In fact, when you're fitting the stock you have to iterate removing material from the top and bottom lug recesses and the cheekpiece flats. The way I do mine to prevent cracks is to get as perfect a fit on the cheekpiece flats as I can, get a good fit on the recoil lug, relieve the top lug by about 1/32", then skim bed the recoil lug and the cheekpiece flats. I'll use a black Sharpie to color the relieved wood to match the color of the top tang; it takes a magnifying glass to actually see that it's been relieved.

Originally Posted by kcnboise
I'm with gnoahh on this, about not shimming, and wanted to add that most people are overlooking the importance of cheekpiece to receiver fit. If you've ever restocked a 99 you should have figured out that the design is based on recoil being shared equally on the recoil (bottom) lug and the flats of the cheekpieces that butt up against the receiver. In fact, when you're fitting the stock you have to iterate removing material from the top and bottom lug recesses and the cheekpiece flats. The way I do mine to prevent cracks is to get as perfect a fit on the cheekpiece flats as I can, get a good fit on the recoil lug, relieve the top lug by about 1/32", then skim bed the recoil lug and the cheekpiece flats. I'll use a black Sharpie to color the relieved wood to match the color of the top tang; it takes a magnifying glass to actually see that it's been relieved.

Sure, ideally the recoil should be distributed to all for contact points, with the lower tang taking the most, via the recoil lug.
But tolerances being what they are and the fact that different thicknesses of an organic substance like wood are probably going to dry and shrink to different degrees, that's unlikely to happen.

Plus, the fact that most Savage 99's weren't exactly chambered in heavy recoiling rounds like 300 win mag for example.
For the most part, you shouldn't have much to worry about as long as the lower tang is taking the brunt, which was what is was designed to do, and will do if you shim it.
Just remember to keep the bolt tight!

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/11/14.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I got a new stock for my 99F in .308, and in inletting the butt stock to fit my action, I decided to take out a bit more wood behind the recoil lug and bed that area with epoxy. I waxed up the recoil lug, and the stock bolt, laid in the epoxy, then tightened her down. When it was cured, I pulled it apart and the bedding looks good. Pretty sure it will strengthen that area. I also impregnated the thin area behind the safety tang with super thin cyanoacrylate. We'll see how it works. Haven't shot it yet.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kcnboise

Sure, ideally the recoil should be distributed to all for contact points, with the lower tang taking the most, via the recoil lug.
But tolerances being what they are and the fact that different thicknesses of an organic substance like wood are probably going to dry and shrink to different degrees, that's unlikely to happen.

Plus, the fact that most Savage 99's weren't exactly chambered in heavy recoiling rounds like 300 win mag for example.
For the most part, you shouldn't have much to worry about as long as the lower tang is taking the brunt, which was what is was designed to do, and will do if you shim it.
Just remember to keep the bolt tight!

I don't have access to FEA software anymore, or I'd run a simulation to show what's happening, so I'll try to describe it instead. Since the barrel is not on the centerline, when you fire it wants to go back and up. This creates a rotational moment at the back of the receiver that wants to drive the top tang into the stock and pull the bottom tang away from the stock. It's the fit of the faces of the cheek pieces to the receiver that determines whether or not there's any actual movement - they are what is opposing the rotational moment of the receiver. If there's a good fit, the faces of the cheek pieces push the receiver forward and down, thereby redistributing force into the bottom tang/recoil lug. If it's a poor fit, or the stock bolt is loose, you get either the "dreaded Savage crack" around the back of the top tang, or you'll get cracks at the top corners of the cheek pieces, or both. Shimming temporarily reduces the chance of cracking by giving extra physical distance, but if your stock bolt gets loose, or you put the shim in when it was humid and then you shoot when it's dry, you're likely to crack the stock. Even if nothing loosens up you're risking cracking the bottom of the stock behind the bottom tang, as all the force is on the stock bolt head/washer. After it cracks there, you'll get the crack behind the top tang in short order - in case you've seen any with both and wondered how they happened...

To do it right only takes about 15 minutes more than shimming it, so why wouldn't you do it right?

If "doing it right" means trimming wood from a nice original 1899,or doing any other irreversible modifications which will ruin it's value, I'll stick to shims, thanks, which work fine for me, and others here.

I've put hundreds of hot reloads through a few of my 99's after using brass shims, with no cracks.
The one 99 I own that had a slight tang crack before I bought it, hasn't gotten any worse after I shimmed it up either.

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/17/14.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1

1899guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What size brass shim do you use, how do you attach it to the lower tang, and where can they be purchased from? I was just about to say the other day that I don't have any 99's with a tang crack, and now I see one of my 300's has a microscopic type crack starting, and I want to try this shim idea to prevent any further growth of it. Your feedback is appreciated.

Originally Posted by 1899guy
What size brass shim do you use, how do you attach it to the lower tang, and where can they be purchased from? I was just about to say the other day that I don't have any 99's with a tang crack, and now I see one of my 300's has a microscopic type crack starting, and I want to try this shim idea to prevent any further growth of it. Your feedback is appreciated.

Check my earlier post back on page 5, I've got lots of pics and info there on how I do it.

Last edited by EGSavage; 05/17/14.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.