Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Picked up a box of these yesterday at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Ankeny, IA and it's the first I've seen or heard of them. I was pleased when CCI came out with the standard lead RN Quiet-22 in 22LR as I am a huge fan of the .22 CB Long but they don't function nearly as well when manually cycling an auto. The .22LR's do great though!

These segmented HP's look to have a much-deeper hollow point than what my memory serves of the other high velocity segmented HP's presumably for the low velocity loading. Does anyone here have experience with these? They must be damn-fragile to be able to "separate into three equal parts, tripling its effect and maximizing energy transfer." (I just love that: "maximizing energy transfer;" of what- 10 ft lbs?!?)

-John

ETA: I'm calling bul1$hit on these: just did some impromptu phone-book-ballistic testing and not only did they not segmenet, they barely even deformed... Perhaps shooting a raccoon would have a different effect. I'd not buy these again!

Last edited by TrueAt1stLight; 05/15/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
call CCI and talk to their custmer service rep and ask them if they should have worked. maybe there is a bad batch out and they will replace them? would like to hear what they say to you as well as far as expected results for that ammo.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With no suppressor and only a 24" barrel the powder charge must be ~ 0.5 gr or less powder behind that 27 gr bullet, in order to sound like a BB gun. [770 fps CCI CB SHORT]

But the CCI 22 hollow point has ~ 1.0 gr of powder behind the 27 gr bullet. [1070 fps CCI HOLLOW POINT SHORT]. It makes a loud BANG that can be hear 100 times further away than the subsonic escapement gas from anything that is called "CB".

I may have not explained this well if you are not already familiar. I have skipped a lot of steps.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trueatfirstlight,

Was your phone book dry or wet? If dry try them on some water soaked medium such as a wet phone book. Post your results, i was looking for these but gave up when I could not find any .22 LR!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Clarkm:

You may be confusing these cartridges for "sub-sonic" .22 ammo. These are actually the same velocity as the CB Longs at 710 FPS and are quieter than most pellet guns. Here's a link to the ammo on the CCI website:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0970

-John

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Trueatfirstlight,

Was your phone book dry or wet? If dry try them on some water soaked medium such as a wet phone book. Post your results, i was looking for these but gave up when I could not find any .22 LR!

Jerry

Jerry: shooting into a dry phone book. I'll soak one and see if the results are the same. Stay tuned...

-John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
Clarkm:

You may be confusing these cartridges for "sub-sonic" .22 ammo.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0970

I think you are right.
Do you know where I can buy some?

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While you're testing, shoot some water filled milk jugs. Sometimes paper pulp will plug a hollow point.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Stay tuned..."

I am,

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have some of those Quiet 22 and they are just like shooting shorts. i have an old savage with a 26" barrel on it and it is very quiet, i cant recall if they were the segmentated hollow points though, i;ll have to check tonight when i get home but i think mine are just solids. i have not shot any critters yet with them, just some spinning targets.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought some of the Quiet 22's from CCI and hunted with them this past fall. I wanted something quieter than the Rem subsonics I normally use. I took a buck with my bow early in the season which gave me more time to shoot squirrels. One occasion I started early shooting subsonic from Remington than switched to the CCI later in the evening so as to not disturb the guys bowhunting. A couple guys said they could not tell much difference between the two in the report through our woods.
Hardly scientific but that was my experience. Not very good killing power either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking that the thought of segmented bullets is kind of a non-starter at the velocity spoken of here. Just my .02 worth.

On another point however I think that CB velocity bullets have a lot of killing power if they are properly placed. My experience is limited to shorts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SV LR even works:

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Quiet" they aren't out of a pistol, and the difference (noisewise) between shooting them in a 24 inch barrel vs a 16 inch barrel is significant!

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 05/16/14.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
DigitalDan - I don't know maybe our squirrels up here are bigger boned than your pigs. wink
Impressive none the less

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DigitalDan's words have a lot of power.

Here are few of my CCI CB short kills:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/...short175pounds335inchesstretchedmale.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/19poundmalecoonc5-4-2014.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/coon12-23-2011.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/175lbmalecoonCCICBshortRem5726-5-2013.jpg[/img]

What was that?

DigitalDan's words have a lot of power.

Here are few of my CCI CB short kills:

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah- those little CB's are lethal! I have shot more varmints with my Marlin 39A and the CB long than with any other rimfire! If you put them in the right place, it's lights out.

Regarding noise, my 16 inch barreled Marlin sounds about like an electric staple gun shooting the CB Longs. It is much quieter than my Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal air rifle. Now shooting these or the "Quiet .22LR's" out of a pistol will ring your ears but still quiet in terms of a un-suppressed .22 pistol.

-John

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
just a vertical adjustment needed? or is it a whole new sight in for the slower rounds?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The regular Quiet .22s are a lot cheaper than the segmented ones. At least they're supposed to be. Something like $3.50 vs. $8.95. We used a lot of the regular Quiet .22s in the basement this winter, shooting them with rifles into a box of newspapers or magazines. They're fun to shoot because they are so quiet. You almost don't need hearing protection. They were pretty accurate for me, although they do hit low. I've thought about getting a cheap used rifle with open sights and sighting it in with the shells, just to keep by the back door for pests.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
geez. i'd not be shooting lead bullets in my basement without a serious vent system. the vaporized lead in your lungs...not my idea of a good time.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Basement bullet traps used to be pretty common. In limited quantities, I wouldn't be concerned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 53 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,528
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.