Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One good thing about camping high elevation here in August is that shelters and open tents seem to work fairly well. Troublesome ground critters seem very rare and if the lid is wide/long enough to run off the evening thunderstorm rains, the goods stay dry.

Our junior attendee (now in Turkey for a while) has slept in a light hammock tied twixt two ponderosas and and once maybe a small open tent with a pal. Last year he brought a very lovely person - I think they roosted on a high limb up in that big oak at night - or were those owls hooooing?.

Lots of fairly flat surface at the camp site and a USFS john.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, in case any of you ferriners are wondering, the pronunciation of Armijo is "army hoe," not "army Joe."

(Wouldn't want any of you nice people to sound like outlanders!) laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Paul,
I was surprised how dry all my stuff stayed at Ed's under my little awning. Nuthin' got wet!! Even with the wind! Love my canvas. Suppose I had the sides low enough. Even tho I chickened out Friday night and spent the evening in the Brig. Saturday evening shower was not as bad. Slept like a babe!!! Think Miles' George Dickel helped a bit!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/18/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scored 999 rounds of Winchester 22lr this week for kids (of all ages)at Quemado.

Also a Smith and Wesson model 18 22 dispenser will be available for use... grin

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

If anyone has anything I can buy, bring it to NM this summer.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gettin' my tent ready!!!! Pups approve

dammit ofcourse your gonna be there this year.....dont think ill be back from Australia yet to make it.....hopefully
heading over the first part of July and am HOPING to spend atleast two months there if everything works out and
the Aussie members of the fire dont mind putting up with me for a good part of it.....oh well looking more and more
when i come back to the states ill be setting up shop alot closer to the southern border than the northern so maybe next year....

Last edited by rattler; 05/19/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

Kent

The Chipmunk is probably the best option, but I'd gladly donate my Stevens 1915 Favorite to the cause, if you think the size/function would be satisfactory. It shoots well but needs a little work; I need to get it fixed anyway.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The Chipmunk is probably the best option, but I'd gladly donate my Stevens 1915 Favorite to the cause, if you think the size/function would be satisfactory. It shoots well but needs a little work; I need to get it fixed anyway.

I was disappointed in the Chipmunk I bought for April in the early 'nineties. I wanted her to learn to shoot with iron sights, but the blade was too short to allow a proper zero so I had to scope it. Since it was designed as a beginner rifle, I thought the sights being unusable was especially unforgivable.

The Favorite I bought for my son in the 'seventies was dead on and he learned to shoot it pretty good.

Making the Quemado gathering is still a possibility, but not a certainty.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll try to bring another S&W 18, and a Chipmunk. Think I even have a Win 67A boys carbine stashed around here somewhere. I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Patric, That would be a cool vintage gun and project Mia and I could share in when she's a little older. I think the single shot and lever works well together.

Let me know a price.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'll try to bring another S&W 18, and a Chipmunk. Think I even have a Win 67A boys carbine stashed around here somewhere. I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

Mark

I have a brick of 550 plus some shorts... I'll snitch some from Brian also.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

I will be bringing some .22 LR ammo. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should have some .22LR with us as well.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gene - sure hope you can get here - will miss you bad if you don't.

With guys being so nice to bring that .22R ammo, maybe (finally) we should do a challenging .22R shoot this year. Maybe group at 150/200 yards - or a golf ball at 75 - or ????.

Kent - if none of these other nicer .22s fit the bill for Mia, I have a kid sized Marlin SS BA that has shot great and taught 6 grandkids (and a few local young'uns) - would be glad to pass it along if it is the right one. It's not pink or lavender, but a guy could get Thomas to paint it. (Good to hear from you Tom).

Last edited by CCCC; 05/21/14.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Working on making either dueling trees or plates for a little side by side 22 handgun competition.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=krp]I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

Kent [quote/]

I've got that relined (22 LR) Stevens Favorite that I fitted with worked over Stevens 44 wood years back for TLee.

He just couldn't get around to finishing it, and the smith at the shop he works at wouldn't / couldn't.

He sent me the whole shebang, with an advisory that I was trusted to see that this kinda NICE 75-80 % complete project made it into the right hands.

Kent, the thing's yours (well, more properly HERS) if you want.
....needs the firing pin relocated, and an extractor fitted, IIRC.

Got a 44 to finish up here too, for Roger Hunter's Grandson Wyatt.

That would make a nice Fall / Winter thread after the August rondy, no ?

With modern firing pins, striking properly, the cocking effort on those can be reduced a LOT,.....I DO recomend leaving the close to half cock feature intact....cock on opening is for mature competition shooters, and sometimes I wonder about THAT.

....life is good

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never painter a gun pink...
Zebra stripe - yep.... Black/tan flames - yep... Black/tan stripes - yep, and just this weekend Flat O.D./black stripes...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But again never have I painted a gun PINK....

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 05/20/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If pink (shudder) is the call out, this works out pretty well.

The beat up old stock sitting below Terry's favorite could be shortened to youth proportions, and will NEED paint of some sort, as it's already wearing several ancient repair attempts.

As she grows, the stock it's wearing here could be fitted. The blue tape grin is holding on a Favorite forend, I have the beefier 44 forend here , that could be fitted with the beefier butt stock.

Oh hell,....what I'm trying to get at is that we have TWO sets of stocks.

Barrels are a SNAP, fitting up spares for a Favorite is a walk in the park,....the one pictured is a mite long for a youth rifle, and can be shorted as well.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/21/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If anyone is on the fence about attending, my advice is do it. A great bunch of people in a truly special place. They made a redneck yankee and his wife feel right at home. A wonderful time!

Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.