Home
The dates for this excellent summer gathering have been set for August 15-17, 2014.

This is the place to inquire, get info, indicate interest and whatever. Let 'er roll.

Will the powers that be kindly make this thread a sticky? Thank you.
Fine company will be encountered at these, "Campfire Rondys".

Go early, stay late.

GTC
Since I had to cancel out on the one in Texas, will be making sure to make this one....you Arizona boys weren't a bad bunch of guys....well most of ya at least... whistle

grin
Originally Posted by Seafire
Since I had to cancel out on the one in Texas, will be making sure to make this one....you Arizona boys weren't a bad bunch of guys....well most of ya at least... whistle

grin

You better watchem, Seafire! There are some scoundrels in the bunch! wink grin
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
]

Chances are good there will be at least one there. I have been ordered to attend by one of the few who can order me around. I will do my best.
Well, this just sucks. I learned this morning that I have a training conference to attend on South Padre Island that begins @ 08:00AM, Monday, August 18.
No way I can be at Armijo Springs, folks. frown

Ed
dammit Ed, we are more important laugh
Originally Posted by rattler
dammit Ed, we are more important laugh

On one level, you are correct, on another, you have to come in second place.

Since I'm being paid to train there, I cannot back out. Gotta pay the bills.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Well, this just sucks. I learned this morning that I have a training conference to attend on South Padre Island that begins @ 08:00AM, Monday, August 18.

Ed

DRAT!!! I was hoping to get one of your famous handgun shooting lessons.

Ed

Ed, I know for a fact you can get a plane ticket from ABQ to Houston late Sunday night!

I know of a 'gated community' where you can store your stuff for a few days.
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Ed, I know for a fact you can get a plane ticket from ABQ to Houston late Sunday night!

Thank you, Jon, but the logistics of getting to and from Quemado and carrying all my gear wouldn't allow that in the time I have.

Ed
Said it in the PM - bears repeating here - Ed, this hurts. Not the same without guys like you.
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Thank you, Jon, but the logistics of getting to and from Quemado and carrying all my gear wouldn't allow that in the time I have.

Ed
You can leave your gear with me. grin
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
You can leave your gear with me. grin

What do I do with Barbara? grin

Ed
We'll take care of her to. wink
Hmmm...missed the Az gathering due to work. Hope I can make this one but the dates scare me atm. Hey cross wanna carpool? Can save on all those greenhouse gases and such! :-)
Looking forward to it already!
I plan on being there!
Originally Posted by Oldman2003

grin

I don't know... like the song said... " I've got friends in LOW PLACES"
It's now on the main calendar for us.
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Hmmm...missed the Az gathering due to work. Hope I can make this one but the dates scare me atm. Hey cross wanna carpool? Can save on all those greenhouse gases and such! :-)

Sounds like a plan, J.

GTC
I saw a Cousin of mine at a family reunion a month or so back and She got all hostile with me when She found out that I have been going to New Mexico and not coming to see Her. Looks like I will have to take the Southern route this year. miles
Hostile southern womyn, eh Miles? Maybe you ought to load her in and bring her along - spice for the occasion.
Maybe you ought to load her in and bring her along - spice for the occasion.

I doubt that She has any interest in Shooting but you never know. I rarely see Her as she moved out West 40 years or so ago. I have been trying to think of her last name and can't seem to quite come up with it. I can remember her Maiden name but not the married one. Old age, I hope. grin miles
I think i will bring a .22 rifle, and a brick of ammo. Just so people can remember what a .22 is. And a wolf call. I was looking at a 1919 yesterday and kind of smiling.
I have been bringing .22 ammo at each one but just a pistol and not any rifles. Might bring the nylon 66. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have been trying to think of her last name and can't seem to quite come up with it. I can remember her Maiden name but not the married one. Old age, I hope. grin miles
Ah, another aging test! When I read this, I started trying to recall my cousin Pam's married name. She married an Irishman and they moved to Toronto, maybe 45 years ago. Haven't seen her but once or maybe twice since then. Took me about 25-30 seconds, but did come up with the name. Mildly gratifying. Keep 'em coming, Miles.
I'm doing good this morning... I remember my maiden name...

but I am playing hookie from the rest of the world and going out to waste some more of Oregon's Sage Rat population today...
Miles, don't feel too bad - sometimes I can't remember my kid sister's maiden name.

Ben - good to hear from you. Your memory seems a lot better than mine.

Ron, if we have something like a 200 yard shooting challenge for .22 rimfire, we can test a Model 19 and Miles' Nylon 66.

Seafire, do those thing taste like sage when you cook/eat 'em?

Originally Posted by CCCC
Miles, don't feel too bad - sometimes I can't remember my kid sister's maiden name.

Hell Paul! I can't pronounce my kid sisters married name! Married a fine Czech boy up in Iowa! Lemme mark my calendar. Might just be able to take the south trail thru the lower end of Comancheria. Sounds like another fine time!

Bob
Might just be able to take the south trail thru the lower end of Comancheria. Sounds like another fine time!

I took a detour and looked at Palo Duro Canyon last year. Some historic country in that area. miles
Bob, I do hope that you can make it to this one. The folks are first-rate and the enjoyment factor is HIGH - not to mention the surroundings.
"The Warden" & I are planning on being there - hoping to meet members we haven't, and see members we have.
Sincerely hope GTC & Jcubed make it, and sorry to miss seeing Ed again (+not meeting Barbara!)
Just maybe - Barbara would come without that old grouch!

Mark
Coyotes and seagulls, owls, bald eagles, falcons, hawks eat them once dead....

not that humans want to eat them, but if they did, after whats left of one that has had a solid hit with a fast moving 40 grain V Max, about 10 of them might be enough to equal the size of a MacNugget.....

Enjoyed a large splat factor this afternoon....
Ed, sorry to hear you won't be in N.M. this year, you will be missed,send Barbara in your place we will watch over her while your out of town. rio7
Did some figgerin' last night. May come down to the gathering and next years elk hunt. Just havta play in by ear right now. frown
Paul, sending a PM to Rick will get this posted as a sticky.

Scott - a few days ago I sent a very polite request for a sticky to "Talk To Webmaster". No reply - no action. Is that the correct way to reach Rick Bin, or is there a better path?
BTT
Scott - a few days ago I sent a very polite request for a sticky to "Talk To Webmaster". No reply - no action. Is that the correct way to reach Rick Bin, or is there a better path?

Paul,

It took a number of PM's, at least one Email, and a phone call to Rick from BrotherBart to get the East Texas thread made a sticky, so don't give up hope. grin

Ed
Thanks, Ed. I am earnest and want to get it done right, but it's not my style to beg. Maybe someone with a better connection to Mr. Bin can get 'er done.
Good Morning and a Happy Easter, Rick !

PLEASE make this post a Sticky.

...pretty please with a nice gin and tonic

Thank you,

GTC
there
That should work, cross!
BTT

Mark
Sure wish I could make this meeting, they sound like so much fun.
Originally Posted by WildWest
Sure wish I could make this meeting, they sound like so much fun.

They are!

Mark
Bump
Sticky, please? Pretty please? With sugar? With sugar and a cherry on top? grin

Double scoop of Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean ice cream with hot fudge, chopped pecans, and TWO cherries on top?

How about a great bottle of Cabernet? laugh

Ed
Great minds CCCC!
I was just coming here to bump this thing myself!
Hey, Rick! Do I need to make it a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet? shocked laugh

Bump for a future great time!

Ed
*(*
I would think there would be a wealth of knowledge at this meeting as well. What I have read is that all the people there are glad to share their experiences and teach all who want to learn.
There usually are many people at these Gatherings that have and share their wealth of knowledge. Not just on firearms, but every subject under the sun.

You will not be disappointed if you attend, I can assure you of that!

Ed
I sure hope I can. It is at my busy time of year, but if I can I am heading to the gathering.
Thanks, Thomas. Bumperoo!
Bounce.....

Ed
tag, for later
Thanks, Rick! We really appreciate this!
Yes, THANK YOU! Rick. smile
Thanks Rick!
THANKS FOR THIS STICKY - MUCH APPRECIATED.

OK - just a brief repeat of the announcement: The dates for this excellent summer gathering have been set for August 15-17, 2014.

The area near the campground has a more open look due to some recent forest thinning - an "urban interface project" if you can conjure "urban" way out here (only the USFS). In addition to reduction of forest fire issues, the thinning should give us enhanced conditions for shoots within short reach of the camp.

So - those planning to participate can indicate same here and get on the eventual PM final planning list.

If you have ideas for interesting shoots and other activities, please post them here.

Questions about location, etc. - this is the place.
Dave (Paladin) was just here for a very satisfying (for me) visit � nicely longer than just a "drive by" drop-in-bust-out fellowship.

He and his partners just got "Snuffy's" � the restaurant-bar-bait-shop-boat-rental out by the lake � open for business.

Another "let's do it" for our summer rendezvous!
I am already looking for ticket prices.
Scott - this is good - really good.

Maddy and I met Paladin at Snuffy's this evening - very nice visit as well. He noted his good time with Ken a bit earlier in the day.
Now that's cool, guess we can call David 'little snuffy' now,,,

Kent
He and his partners just got "Snuffy's" � the restaurant-bar-bait-shop-boat-rental out by the lake � open for business.

Hmmmm. Might have to come early or stay late and do some fishing. I hope that it is a good and profit filled venture for a really good guy. miles
Miles, the fishing has been good so far, notwithstanding the recent gale force winds. Plenty 'o trout thus far.

The lake also contains muskie - large muskie, as in 40" - 58". We ate some last year grilled over coals. I painted them with melted butter with salt & pepper. Talk about good, it was slap the dog and spit in the fire good, almost like eating lobster. But you need to watch out for these things -

[Linked Image]

Micro chip implants. I bit one in half that was in the flesh of the muskie. The G&F was at the lake yesterday and I was going to ask them about the implants but they were out in the boat so didn't get to speak to them.

Paul tells me you missed getting blown away and I am certainly glad to hear that.

David
WOW David!!!!! Just think if you was to swaller one of them trackin' implants and G&F got to follering you all around the place!!!! You might have made the 6 o' clock news!!!!

I've only seen pictures of a Muskie... Never seen one in real life!
Those in Q lake are "Tiger Muskies" - hybrids planted here by G&F a few years ago in an effort to control some big goldfish/carp that some idiots dumped in a trout lake. It seems to have worked with the goldfish, but A LOT of rainbow trout got gobbled up along the way.

The muskies are fun and exhibit typical characteristics, but can't reproduce so eventually will be gone. Some are getting fairly big. Keepers must be over 40" and I think the limit is one per day.

If planning to fish in August, know that the trout tend to get mushy/less tasty as the lake warms all summer - best eating catch seems to be from now through June. Don't know how much the warming affects the muskies - haven't tried to taste a late summer muskie so far.
Catching up the calendar this morning and found that I have an unavoidable conflict for that weekend. I really hate it--I had invited my younger daughter and her two kids to join us, so now I have to cancel that, as well.

I hate this, but I cannot ditch my prior commitment. I'm sure that you will all get along fine without me.

Ben
Sorry to read this, Ben.

Have not yet known you to be wrong, but you missed on that one - we won't quite get along fine without you.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Catching up the calendar this morning and found that I have an unavoidable conflict for that weekend. �

Sadly, because of nervousness about gambling on July rains, we have a later date that definitely excludes some of our favorite guys � and guarantees, according to compa�ero CCCC, that the muskies in the lake probably won't be at their best as grub. laugh

Druther have you than muskies anyway, Ben!

laugh (FWIW, I predict plenty of rain in July. What are the odds? An ancient yarn tells us of two brothers who went into business as weather-forecasters. "It's gonna rain tomorrow," one'd say. "No, it ain't," the other'd say. They never missed.)
Maybe the downer experience of again having a closed forest in July was not worth the concern of our core planning group. Could anyone on the Campfire identify a July weekend that would any better accommodate the schedules of all persons planning to participate? And, do we know yet the schedules of those unknowns?

In a perfect world - - -

well, in a perfect world all schedules always will fit together, we won't be inclined to carp about decisions made by those who step forward, take responsibility and do their best - and warm water Muskies will taste great.

I'll sure miss you in August Ben, and am looking forward to experiencing your smiling countenance sometime soon.
Maybe the downer experience of again having a closed forest in July was not worth the concern of our core planning group.

Paul, even with the prospect of Ben and Ed not being able to attend, you had to set a date. You did ask for input into what dates people could not come. I figure any date picked would have made somebody miss. Cheer up, I plan to be there. grin miles
How far ahead (maximum, minimum) can each of us plan for attending a special event?

Some want to chisel a date in stone for next year � others want to wait to see what they can handle within a coming week or two.

I once proposed a hiking trip in Montana for myself and three or four of my buddies in Akron. All wanted to come out, but they all wanted to wait until just a couple of weeks before they decided when they could come out.

Some of our commitments had to be set as early as late winter or early spring, but they all wanted to wait until midsummer to even start thinking about setting a date.

So my hike was solo and short.
sorry to see Ben,and Ed, wont be with us, both add a great deal to our campfire, am sure we will all meet again somewhere,I for one am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends, i'll be there GOD WILLING. RIO7
Thanks Miles and Blue - good to hear from you. Sure am looking forward to seeing you two long-distance troopers and the rest of this great gang - maybe some participants will travel even farther. These events just seem to get better and better, but sure will miss Ed and Ben.
Ed and Ben will be missed.
Ed and Ben will be missed.

This is true, along with young Mr. Graham. miles
I'm pretty sure had I swallered one 'o them thangs, the G&F would have been plumb perplexed as to how a tiger muskie got into the Albuquerque sewer system.
A neighbor lady in town swallowed one of those gadgets and soon grew a jut jaw, two rows of really sharp teeth and a dorsal fin.
A neighbor lady in town swallowed one of those gadgets and soon grew a jut jaw, two rows of really sharp teeth and a dorsal fin.

� ancient comment on prenatal determinance �

Guy beat his wife with a broom when she was pregnant with their son.

Kid was born with a straw hat and a peg leg.
If it doesn't sell, I may learn to shoot left handed...

[Linked Image]

Holy smokes Patrick -
I thought you just got that beautiful thing !!

Does it have a left-cheek piece or any cast to the stock? If not, just use it righty, but maybe not when you need to take a second or third shot at escaping game.
I will have to look at cast; it does have a cheekpiece on the other side.
Scott - this is good - really good.

Maddy and I met Paladin at Snuffy's this evening - very nice visit as well. He noted his good time with Ken a bit earlier in the day.

Paul, I really enjoyed my visit with you and Maddy. It was a pleasure to spend the time we did and get to know you a little better. Should be seeing you a bit more often now.

David
Holy smokes Patrick -
I thought you just got that beautiful thing !!

Does it have a left-cheek piece or any cast to the stock? If not, just use it righty, but maybe not when you need to take a second or third shot at escaping game.

well, it did sell, and the buyer is a lefty who collects left hand Mauser actions, and is delighted to have it. I'm pleased with the profit - win/win smile
Wow, the attendees are dropping like flies! We may have to do two of them to accommodate everyone!

I booked a 3 day fishing trip for August 3-5 out of San Diego but will certainly will be back in time for Armijo spgs.
Hurts to have to say this, guys �

For reasons that you don't want to hear, I won't be contributing as usual to this year's rendezvous � (my loss).

No guns or binoculars for prizes, no food, no personal mementos as in the past. No one'll notice that lack, of course. The food supply won't suffer, and maybe someone else'll step-up, as Butch Lambert has done, with prizes for the best shooting.

I'll be out there for a few minutes if I can, just to watch the goin's-on.

The shining fact � worth joyfully shouting about � is that our wonderful little get-togethers sustain themselves very well. Camaraderie at its best! Wonderful to behold. laugh
Dennis - of course we will miss Ed and Ben as they are among the key guys that have contributed by their presence and otherwise - and they will be back next time (I sure hope). And, it looks as though we are going to gain some interesting folks this time, just as we did at Roosevelt in Feb. AND - - DARBY will be at this one in all of his glory!!
All hope is not lost I plan on being at Quemado cool grin

I really missed out by not making it to Ed too many letters get together.

CCCC- I have some outdoors/hunting books I will try to bring down. They will make great pay forward fodder...

Looking forward to August and seeing some new and old friends...
Ever since "When will Armijo Springs camp ground get some rain this summer?" became a nagging question earlier this year, I've been increasingly curious about it.

I haven't kept records during the nine years that I've lived here, but my recollection is that the monsoon has begun in July more often than later.

So yesterday, I had Rick freight me over to the USFS ranger station (just across the street, but a journey for this ol' relic) to see what data I might get from the fire guy over there.

The Forest Service has obviously become much more of a bureaucracy than it was when I wore the green in the 1950s and 1960. What used to be simple records are now bales of paper and banks of file cabinets � mountains of virtually indecipherable minuti�. So much, in fact, that the district's kept records go back only four years (I wanted precipitation data for July over the years 2000�2013, or at least the last ten years � simple data in the old days.)

Interestingly, the data for the last four years show rainfall somewhere or other in the Quemado district every year.

When it comes to rainfall, this area is like a checker board, with the red squares stone-dry while the black squares soak and drip. I vividly remember the day a few summers ago when my front walk was as dry as my living-room floor, and seventy-five yards away, next-door, heavy rain was soaking the ground at the veterans' hall.

Oh, yes � almost forgot � data from the ranger station � somewhere or other in the district �
2010 � July 2.72 in. � August 3.35 in.
2011 � July 1.69 in. � August 2.99 in.
2012 � July 1.84 in. � August 2.40 in.
2013 � July 3.30 in. � August 2.58 in.

So � remembering the checker board � will we get rain at Armijo Springs this August? Somewhere close, for sure! Bring rain gear, "jes' in case!"

Well, it did rain lightly most of one night at the 2013 gathering. I was glad that I went ahead and put up the tent.
Minority opinion, maybe, but I'd rather have more people come, even if there's no rain to speak of.
If it were to be moved to July there is no way we could make it The kids will be in California for much of the month. Surely the world doesn't revolve around me, but what I am gettin at is I think no matter the date its going to conflict for someone. It stinks but its the nature of big group meets like this.

As I recall we sceduled the second Quemado event in August after getting relegated to the gravel parking area by the lake at the first one due to lack of rain. It was a good time, but none of us appreciated the gravel, or the proximity of non-campfire folks especially when we left camp unattended to go shoot.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
� no matter the date its going to conflict for someone. �

True to the nth.
Thomas - your recall is quite correct and, after that experience, the worker bees decided it best to schedule ensuing summer gatherings for August, feeling that the odds for an open forest, with campfires, are much better.

Past USFS decisions about closed/open forests after a very dry Spring (like this one) show that some dispersed rain during the month of July usually is not the key factor. A significant determinant is the accumulation of rainfall to a point where the forest vegetation and earth/duff floor are in a decently wet condition. That accumulation and resultant favorably wet condition normally does not develop until August. Thus, our Aug. date.
Even with the loss of Ed and Ben, I think the correct decision was made. Thomas is correct about any date picked will most likely exclude someone that we would like to be there. miles
Paul,

Please keep me in the loop on this. I will be in Albuquerque for the Centennial Celebration of the New Mexico Wildlife Federation, but may be able to escape late Saturday afternoon and join you guys that evening.

Thanks!

Ben
Hope so. It will be good to see you again. miles
Ben, always we will want and keep you in this loop. It's really nice that you are part of that centennial celebration - but maybe by Sat afternoon you will ready to change to a different set of "old farts" - so hurry on down here if you can.

Should we name an honorary marksman to take your place in the early shoots on Saturday and, if so, whose rifle should he/she use?
I could make other dates but I think it best that we leave it as set at this point

Should we name an honorary marksman to take your place in the early shoots on Saturday and, if so, whose rifle should he/she use?
Random draw for both--that's how it always works for me. laugh
I will be embarrassed if Ben were to win, and not even be there. grin miles
Well, I think that he's won - or at least come really close in the past - and we were not sure he was all there.
Ok! Paul!!!

Been talking to young son here as we BBQ some pig. He's interested in coming out. If he comes I can swing the trip. Just hard for me to do it by myself. So put us down tentatively for now. 95% sure we will be there!!

Woohoo!!!

Bob
I am doing my best to make it and hope you can come too. You are one of a long list I would like to share a campfire with.
Bob - this is good and hope it works out as planned. If you get to this August campfire, I predict quite a bit of mutual enjoyment.
You are one of a long list I would like to share a campfire with.

Scott, you have no idea. One night at Ed's I laughed at Paladin and Him until my sides hurt. miles
Yeah, we're kinda funny to look at!!!
Hey, I resemble that remark.
You guys had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. grin

Man, I'm really going to miss this.

Ed
I'm catching up on this kind of late, but I guess not so late that I missed the gathering. Being just up the road a bit I'm working on my schedule and hope to make this. Can someone fill in this noob on the ins and outs of the gathering? I gather its a great time, involves shooting and swapping lies, I mean stories. What else?
Thanks!
Razz
Food!
Food!

Good food. wink grin miles
More stories.
And shooting...
What's the approximate driving time from some part of Phoenix to the site? I'm thinking my chances of attending are slim, but a (long) day trip might work.
About 275 miles. (Six hours?)

http://maps.randmcnally.com/?s=screen&loc1=Elkridge%2C%20MD&loc2=Quemado%2C%20NM#s=screen&lat=33.7997&lon=-110.288385&zoom=12&loc1=Phoenix%2C%20AZ&loc2=Quemado%2C%20NM&loc3=&loc4=&loc5=&loc6=&loc7=&loc8=&loc9=&loc10=
Originally Posted by RufusG
What's the approximate driving time from some part of Phoenix to the site? I'm thinking my chances of attending are slim, but a (long) day trip might work.

About 5.5 hours from the east valley, about 6 from mid Phx and more from the west side. Depends on your route and driving style.
Thanks both of you for the estimates. I'll look at the computer mapping solutions. I'm pretty far west side, would have to drop down to the 10, cross town, and probably angle up thru Payson and Show Low is my guess.
Straight down the 60 east is about as easy as it gets if you don't mind Salt River Canyon.
CCCC,s estimate is pretty good as i am on the west side too.
I have usually gone up the beeline to payson then over. Pretty drive tho. It's just over the stateline from springerville anyway.
From Tempe, US 60 to Show Low seems shorter than Beeline/Payson route. Mostly 4 lane uphill to Payson and also to the Rim.

On 60, some of the 2 lane east of Globe can be a pain if busy.

But, from Globe to SL seems like a lot less traffic and the canyon has nice old memories.

Either way is pretty stuff.
Salt River Canyon � US-60 north of Globe � is great for eyeballs and cameras but not so great for steering wheels and brakes.

Don't gawk if you're driving!
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Salt River Canyon � US-60 north of Globe � is great for eyeballs and cameras but not so great for steering wheels and brakes.

Don't gawk if you're driving!

All too true. Steep enough to use the trailer/engine brake feature (if your outfit has one) to save on brakes even if you're not pulling a trailer.

One of the two mountain lions I've seen in the wild was between Globe and 4-5 miles before the canyon. Ran across the road in the afternoon.

Pretty drive as long as someone else is behind the wheel.

I dry from Mesa to Springerville at least once a month and sometimes more (twice this week already). Going through Salt River Canyon is faster and shorter than going through Payson-260. If you go on a weekday, Payson route isn't too bad but on a weekend, it can really get clogged up and take a LONG time. I don't chance it anymore. I drove home via Payson Saturday as I had a layover in Colcord to tour a ranch. I got backed up a little before Star Valley.
Whats the best route there if someone is coming thru Flagstaff?

� I-40 east to Holbrook
� US-180 south to Springerville
� US-60 east to intersection with NM-32, western edge of Quemado
� NM-32 south past County Road 103 (about 15�20 miles � paved road to Quemado Lake)
� USFS road east about 4�5 miles to Armijo Springs campground
(Turn left onto the unpaved USFS road when you see the mail boxes in a turn-out on the right-hand side of NM-32. You'll see the USFS sign for Armijo Springs campground beside this road just after you turn left off NM-32.)

� I-40 east to Holbrook
� US-180 south to Springerville
� US-60 east to intersection with NM-32, western edge of Quemado
� NM-32 south past County Road 103 (about 20 miles � paved road to Quemado Lake)

THANKS KEN, ROAD RE-NAMING UPDATE HERE
� After Mile Marker 24, turn left (east) on County Road marked A021 and continue east about 4 miles to Armijo Springs campground - turn right at "Y".

(As you turn left onto CR A021 you will see USPS mail boxes in a turn-out on the right-hand side of NM-32, and you'll see the USFS sign for Armijo Springs campground beside A021 just after you turn left off NM-32.)
Or just stop at the "Y" and listen--you will hear the camp.
Or just stop at the "Y" and listen--you will hear the camp.

Or circle around to the lee and sniff. laugh
Gettin' my tent ready!!!! Pups approve!

[Linked Image]
kaywoodie,looking forward to seeing you and your son in N.M. this will be my third year there, and every year it just gets better,great camp ground, wonderful people, great food,fun shooting, great storys. rio7
Thanks Blue! Btw, watch your mailbox!

Bob
Not going to use your open sided shelter that you used in Texas? miles
Dunno yet. Might bring it anyway. Of there's room. May opt to stay under it instead of the tent. Was gonna buy a new tent. But decided not to. The old one is still serviceable. That will leave me more available funds for the man cave project. But I did also find a nice Model 8 Remington on Gun Broker too. Decisions, decisions!
One good thing about camping high elevation here in August is that shelters and open tents seem to work fairly well. Troublesome ground critters seem very rare and if the lid is wide/long enough to run off the evening thunderstorm rains, the goods stay dry.

Our junior attendee (now in Turkey for a while) has slept in a light hammock tied twixt two ponderosas and and once maybe a small open tent with a pal. Last year he brought a very lovely person - I think they roosted on a high limb up in that big oak at night - or were those owls hooooing?.

Lots of fairly flat surface at the camp site and a USFS john.
BTW, in case any of you ferriners are wondering, the pronunciation of Armijo is "army hoe," not "army Joe."

(Wouldn't want any of you nice people to sound like outlanders!) laugh
Paul,
I was surprised how dry all my stuff stayed at Ed's under my little awning. Nuthin' got wet!! Even with the wind! Love my canvas. Suppose I had the sides low enough. Even tho I chickened out Friday night and spent the evening in the Brig. Saturday evening shower was not as bad. Slept like a babe!!! Think Miles' George Dickel helped a bit!!!
Scored 999 rounds of Winchester 22lr this week for kids (of all ages)at Quemado.

Also a Smith and Wesson model 18 22 dispenser will be available for use... grin
I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

If anyone has anything I can buy, bring it to NM this summer.

Kent
Chipmunk?

http://chipmunkrifles.com/
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gettin' my tent ready!!!! Pups approve

dammit ofcourse your gonna be there this year.....dont think ill be back from Australia yet to make it.....hopefully
heading over the first part of July and am HOPING to spend atleast two months there if everything works out and
the Aussie members of the fire dont mind putting up with me for a good part of it.....oh well looking more and more
when i come back to the states ill be setting up shop alot closer to the southern border than the northern so maybe next year....
Originally Posted by krp
I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

Kent

The Chipmunk is probably the best option, but I'd gladly donate my Stevens 1915 Favorite to the cause, if you think the size/function would be satisfactory. It shoots well but needs a little work; I need to get it fixed anyway.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The Chipmunk is probably the best option, but I'd gladly donate my Stevens 1915 Favorite to the cause, if you think the size/function would be satisfactory. It shoots well but needs a little work; I need to get it fixed anyway.

I was disappointed in the Chipmunk I bought for April in the early 'nineties. I wanted her to learn to shoot with iron sights, but the blade was too short to allow a proper zero so I had to scope it. Since it was designed as a beginner rifle, I thought the sights being unusable was especially unforgivable.

The Favorite I bought for my son in the 'seventies was dead on and he learned to shoot it pretty good.

Making the Quemado gathering is still a possibility, but not a certainty.
I'll try to bring another S&W 18, and a Chipmunk. Think I even have a Win 67A boys carbine stashed around here somewhere. I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

Mark
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Patric, That would be a cool vintage gun and project Mia and I could share in when she's a little older. I think the single shot and lever works well together.

Let me know a price.

Kent
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'll try to bring another S&W 18, and a Chipmunk. Think I even have a Win 67A boys carbine stashed around here somewhere. I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

Mark

I have a brick of 550 plus some shorts... I'll snitch some from Brian also.

Kent
I'm scant on 22 LR ammo, however.

I will be bringing some .22 LR ammo. miles
I should have some .22LR with us as well.
Gene - sure hope you can get here - will miss you bad if you don't.

With guys being so nice to bring that .22R ammo, maybe (finally) we should do a challenging .22R shoot this year. Maybe group at 150/200 yards - or a golf ball at 75 - or ????.

Kent - if none of these other nicer .22s fit the bill for Mia, I have a kid sized Marlin SS BA that has shot great and taught 6 grandkids (and a few local young'uns) - would be glad to pass it along if it is the right one. It's not pink or lavender, but a guy could get Thomas to paint it. (Good to hear from you Tom).
Working on making either dueling trees or plates for a little side by side 22 handgun competition.
[quote=krp]I'm starting to think of a .22 for Mia, she's just two but it won't be long. I just have my old Stevens 15 that you pull the plunger back. I need something smaller and more user friendly.

Kent [quote/]

I've got that relined (22 LR) Stevens Favorite that I fitted with worked over Stevens 44 wood years back for TLee.

He just couldn't get around to finishing it, and the smith at the shop he works at wouldn't / couldn't.

He sent me the whole shebang, with an advisory that I was trusted to see that this kinda NICE 75-80 % complete project made it into the right hands.

Kent, the thing's yours (well, more properly HERS) if you want.
....needs the firing pin relocated, and an extractor fitted, IIRC.

Got a 44 to finish up here too, for Roger Hunter's Grandson Wyatt.

That would make a nice Fall / Winter thread after the August rondy, no ?

With modern firing pins, striking properly, the cocking effort on those can be reduced a LOT,.....I DO recomend leaving the close to half cock feature intact....cock on opening is for mature competition shooters, and sometimes I wonder about THAT.

....life is good
I've never painter a gun pink...
Zebra stripe - yep.... Black/tan flames - yep... Black/tan stripes - yep, and just this weekend Flat O.D./black stripes...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But again never have I painted a gun PINK....
If pink (shudder) is the call out, this works out pretty well.

The beat up old stock sitting below Terry's favorite could be shortened to youth proportions, and will NEED paint of some sort, as it's already wearing several ancient repair attempts.

As she grows, the stock it's wearing here could be fitted. The blue tape grin is holding on a Favorite forend, I have the beefier 44 forend here , that could be fitted with the beefier butt stock.

Oh hell,....what I'm trying to get at is that we have TWO sets of stocks.

Barrels are a SNAP, fitting up spares for a Favorite is a walk in the park,....the one pictured is a mite long for a youth rifle, and can be shorted as well.

[Linked Image]

If anyone is on the fence about attending, my advice is do it. A great bunch of people in a truly special place. They made a redneck yankee and his wife feel right at home. A wonderful time!
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
If pink (shudder) is the call out, this works out pretty well.

The beat up old stock sitting below Terry's favorite could be shortened to youth proportions, and will NEED paint of some sort, as it's already wearing several ancient repair attempts.

As she grows, the stock it's wearing here could be fitted. The blue tape grin is holding on a Favorite forend, I have the beefier 44 forend here , that could be fitted with the beefier butt stock.

Oh hell,....what I'm trying to get at is that we have TWO sets of stocks.

Barrels are a SNAP, fitting up spares for a Favorite is a walk in the park,....the one pictured is a mite long for a youth rifle, and can be shorted as well.

[Linked Image]

smile

Good, that one is probably a better choice than mine for the young lass, as the 1915's original stock is probably too long for her, designed as they were for ~10 year old boys. The ejector on mine is also too fussy to give a youngster. And needs to go to Cross for repair smile
I've never painter a gun pink...
But again never have I painted a gun PINK....

Dear Thomas: Kindly post a photo of your .223 AI.
Dear Paul: Sure thing, but that is neither pink nor paint. It's gelcoat over fiberglass. Specifically orange, yellow, red, and dark blue.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Er, yes - as said - you haven't yet painted a gun pink. But, how did you manage to limit yourself to just those 4 mild shades?
Well its does take restraint PW. grin
Wait until you see the next one I planned...
I think I can tolerate seeing a pink gun (at least with a girl shooting it). Now zombie green drives me up a tree crazy
I'm speechless with all the generosity of my friends, I was hoping for a handmedown as a starter and appreciate all offers. Thanks amigos, looks like a made for campfire thread coming in the future.

Kent
And we ain't even met Mia yet!
Originally Posted by krp
I'm speechless with all the generosity of my friends, I was hoping for a handmedown as a starter and appreciate all offers. Thanks amigos, looks like a made for campfire thread coming in the future.

Kent

Hey, thank TLee,.....I'm just paying my regular dues, Bud. wink

GTC
And we ain't even met Mia yet!

Wed nights are her stayover night, we just put a cake in the oven... come'on over...

reason number 87 I wish you lived closer.

Kent
It's started:

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests Implements Stage II Fire Restrictions Friday, May 23

Springerville, AZ; May 21, 2014�To protect public health and safety due to increasing fire danger, the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests (ASNFs) will implement Stage II fire restrictions effective Friday, May 23, at 8 a.m. These additional fire restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire. No campfires are allowed until Stage II fire restrictions are lifted.

Stage II fire restrictions prohibit the following:

1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire except for devices fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.

2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.

3. Using an explosive.

4. Possessing, discharging or using any type of firework or pyrotechnic device.

5. Operating a chainsaw or any equipment powered by an internal combustion engine from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

6. Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with an open flame.

7. Operating or using any internal or external combustion engines without a spark arresting device.

8. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway or parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trailheads.

To report a fire, call 911.

The ASNFs coordinate weekly with federal, state, and tribal land management agencies and counties, cities, and towns in the White Mountains to determine what level of fire restrictions or closures may be necessary. Criteria used to determine whether to implement fire restrictions include weather, fuel moisture, fire activity, and available firefighting resources. There are also important components of risk management and the professional judgment of fire managers and line officers.

Community concerns are always considered. We are hearing a range of opinions and comments from local community members and visitors. We aim to be responsive to community concerns and to try to allow for safe and reasonable use of the forests. This is often a difficult and delicate balance. In addition to increasing fire restrictions, additional law enforcement officers will be on duty for the next two weeks.

Follow the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests on Twitter (@A_SNFs) for instant updates on fire information, fire restrictions, and fire prevention.

Know Before You Go! To help you understand where and when fire restrictions and possible closures exist, there are several resources available. The public can obtain additional fire information via the following:

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests http://www.fs.usda.gov/asnf
Northeastern Arizona Public Information System http://311info.net/ or call 311 or 928-333-3412
Arizona Fire Restrictions http://firerestrictions.us/az/
Arizona Fire Prevention & Information (fire restrictions & red flag alerts) http://wildlandfire.az.gov/

There's a big one going over on the Bobacomori,....two days now.

GTC
Well I suppose we won't skimp on the p�t� now huh?
Keep checking here as the time draws closer �

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=87829
Well since scoundrels and such are apparently welcome. I believe i will participate and help in any way possible. And i will bring way more than a hammock. Lemme know what i can do.
Originally Posted by Bout_half_cocked
Well since scoundrels and such are apparently welcome. I believe i will participate and help in any way possible. And i will bring way more than a hammock. Lemme know what i can do.

For the rest of you folks who have never met this young gentleman, I give you Alan, Oldman2003's son.

He was at the East Texas Gathering, helping his folks with that scrumptious crawfish boil. grin

Ed
Alan!!! Glad to see you are going to try to make it!!! We will have a great time!!! Again!!

A fellow blackguard,

Bob
My good man that sounds absolutely capital !!!!!!! Let it be done.
Prayers requested. I have my wife about 49% convinced we should take about five days and drive down, spent time at the get together, maybe swing over to Phoenix to see friends there, then head to San Diego to see our son and DIL. Maybe back roads whenever possible and make it a three week trip. Could bring my guns and ammo without hassle and just enjoy the sights.
Scott, did you tell your wife how all the women get breakfast in bed and wine and chocolate in the evenings at Quemado? cool
No I hadn't until you brought it up. Now she thinks it is great that you offered to do that for her.
If word of this gets out women may outnumber men this year.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Prayers requested. I have my wife about 49% convinced we should take about five days and drive down, spent time at the get together, maybe swing over to Phoenix to see friends there, then head to San Diego to see our son and DIL. Maybe back roads whenever possible and make it a three week trip. Could bring my guns and ammo without hassle and just enjoy the sights.

scott, the only difficulty with this is you driving in california with ol chocolate, but being the kind of person i am, would be happy to domicile said ol chocolate while you were in the land of infidels.
Your kindness is overwhelming. I will be mounting a pistol safe in the back of whatever we would drive. That should take care of CA.

I may have to go to CA anyway as it seems like we just started a construction company there and I am the 51% owner.
fell last night � again.

But no harm done, as usual.
Usually, I've been able to engineer myself back up somehow, but couldn't this time.

No big deal, thinks I, I'll just skooch over to my chair and hoist myself up.

Couldn't skooch. Couldn't reach my Life Alert button. Tried to call for help, but the 'phone wouldn't work. (I'd apparently kicked it unplugged in my flailing around.)

So I just lay there, unable to sit up, unable to move, for the longest, loneliest, most discouraging three hours of my life.

Weird sensations and the aftermath suggest that I may've had another stroke while I lay there.

Thought that I may be dying. I'd been praying, and added a fervent prayer that God would let me come Home right then and there, but He didn't grant that one. (I lay there hoping that I could at least make Steelhead happy! laugh )

When Ric found me, and lifted me into my chair, I was too weak to speak. I'm still far weaker than I was when I fell. But now the fear of falling is a heavy, haunting, crippling presence. Never was, before. Before last night's little dance with gravity, falling was just another usual passing nuisance � familiar, not fearsome.

It's looking more and more unlikely that I'll be able to put-in even a brief token appearance at the August rendezvous.
Dang Ken. eek
Ken,

When my great aunt lived by us, she also fell away from her phone and life alert. We bought bought a chain for her life alert to wear....yes, when she bent over, it would call all of us.

I can also relate to the anger at not being able to move after falling. Take care of yourself!!!! (((HUGS)))
When visiting Ken H at home yesterday, it was troubling that he had weakened appreciably and rather quickly. He tended to attribute the problems to a sudden loss of balance and resulting fall the previous evening. I thought otherwise and have been on the matter since then. Right now he is hospitalized and undergoing a variety of exams/tests toward a diagnosis. Praying is indicated.
Prayers sent for Ken Howell and also for you Paul.
Thank you Paul for taking him. You are a blessing. Sending prayers to both of you.
Prayers offered up.
The various tests have revealed nothing specific. Ken was significantly dehydrated and IV fluids have him feeling better. Ken is now back at home and resting. I will be checking with/on him again in the morning. Rick Sharp from up this way has been very helpful with transport in this situation. More later as I come to know it.
Thanks Paul. Glad it's nothing serious.
Thanks Paul and may God bless you.
The various tests have revealed nothing specific. Ken was significnatly dehydrated and IV fluids have him feeling better. Ken is now back at home and resting. I will be checking with/on him again in the morning. Rick Sharp from up this way has been very helpful with transport in this situation. More later as I come to know it.

Paul, Your a good man.
prayers sent from here, hoping for improvement on Ken's behalf, and also thanks for his friends giving aid.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
The various tests have revealed nothing specific. Ken was significnatly dehydrated and IV fluids have him feeling better. Ken is now back at home and resting. I will be checking with/on him again in the morning. Rick Sharp from up this way has been very helpful with transport in this situation. More later as I come to know it.

Paul, Your a good man.

Concur. Thank you.

The various tests have revealed nothing specific. Ken was significantly dehydrated and IV fluids have him feeling better. Ken is now back at home and resting. I will be checking with/on him again in the morning. Rick Sharp from up this way has been very helpful with transport in this situation. More later as I come to know it.

Dehydration is a common cause of seniors falling, letting their body fluid and electrolytes get too low, and don't realize it...

We as a group really need to consider pooling some of our resources and getting Ken an Emergency Response System of some sort.. Life Alert for example... there are better ones out there...phone numbers can be programmed in them to call local people along with 911...
thanks Paul.
ron

CAT scan of my cap-filler bone didn't flush any cats.
Doc said that there's a brain (or something) in there, so apparently there was a cat (or some other kind of critter) in there at some point in the past.

Stroke? Doc said that the scan didn't show any evidence of another one since The Big One in 2001. But said that a minor one couldn't be ruled out, either, given the rather obvious physical effects on the useless ol' wad.

Blood pressure is pretty good (around 100/60). So is blood oxygen (90s). Still no medication indicated. (Wish that there were � don't really like feeling this bad and being told that I'm as well as I can be. Alley's Hambone said it many years ago � "I sho' hopes I'se sick. I'd hate t' feel dis bad an' be well.")
Glad all is okey doke.

Dehydration is serious, Ken as you found out.

I fell over in my early 20's from severe dehydration. Blacked out while standing, head bounce on ceramic floor. Could've died from impact, or smashed my face all to hell, but got lucky and didnt fall in a bad manner.

Was found out cold on floor, had to be slapped awake and carried to my girlfriends apt. Humblng, and again, in my 20's. Was in superb shape, athlete, well fed, no drugs etc.

Get you fluids Sir. Keeps the body in balance.

Best to you.

Also saw this in my travel. Meds that weaken and cause fatigue. Examine whats being taken.

http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-su...9-Types-of-Medications-That-Can-Lead-to-
I have been cleaning and packing my reloading bench. Looka like I may have a few things I don't need. Thinking I should bring then to the gathering ans swap or give some things away.

A box and a half of Pyrodex 50/50 pellets.

Couple of bullet molds.

Set of Redding 30-06 dies like new.

Bag of once fired 338 brass.

Bag of 30-06 brass.

Big bag of 40 S&W brass.

I am still looking
What bullet molds, Scott?

Ed
I'll get back to you. I have to dig them back out.
Scott,

I would be interested in the Redding .30-06 dies.

Ben
Is the .338 brass the Win Mag? If so,how many are in the bag and what brand?
Scott,

I would be interested in the Redding .30-06 dies.

Ben

I would be interesting it handing them to you Ben with a big smile on my face.
Is the .338 brass the Win Mag? If so,how many are in the bag and what brand?

338 Win Mag. 24 of them. Federal.
Ok,either me or my wife will get them in August.

Thanks you Scott. smile
They will be yours.
I am looking fro 358 Win dies is anyone has a set they don't need and a 358 mold around 200 to 250 weight range. Willing to buy or swap for ???

Also have a somewhat large package for Greg. Anybody know if he is coming?
Scott, are you still in need of AA5? I have a pound on my shelf if you need it.

I am looking for 358 Win dies if anyone has a set they don't need and a 358 mold around 200 to 250 weight range. Willing to buy or swap for ???

Also have a somewhat large package for Greg. Anybody know if he is coming?

IIRC, you're about to become the new owner of a .358 Winchester rifle in an outfit that includes the dies, some cases, and maybe even some ammo and a mould or two.
Oh my. I only knew about the rifle. I have been thinking about powder coating cast bullets for 458.
Finding some more goodies I need to pass on. I have two copies of Corbett's Man-Eaters Of Kumaon. Free to good home. I will bring it when I come.
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Scott, are you still in need of AA5? I have a pound on my shelf if you need it.

YES!!!!!
I will take one of the copies of Corbett's Man-Eaters smile
It is yours my friend. Think I owe you a good book so this will work great.
BOOKS!

Lotsa good books here at 17 Church Street, on all kinds of things, from fiction (Tom Clancy, for example) to any number of nonfiction subjects, for anybody who wants to come raidin' like a bear muckin'-out a meat cache.

Got a few empty boxes, but bring your own if you have any.
I have undertaken a cleanup of my reloading room blush There is no telling what sort of things will fall out for the swap meet at our gathering. So far I found .30 Luger ammo, 1000 new nickel .38 Super cases, and dies & ammo for the .300 H&H. I sort of hazily remember why I have these things, but I don't need them anymore. Guess I'll keep digging smile
I was cleaning out my reloading room the other day.. at least a little of it...

found two things I didn't know I had...

1. Found out where they buried Jimmy Hoffa

2. Any one have any use for a slightly worn and very dusty B 17?

2. Any one have any use for a slightly worn and very dusty B 17?

That's a good one!!! One of my old reenacting / military vehicle collecting buds was raised in Germany during the constibulary days. His dad was shipped there after he got back from Korea. Said there were these brothers who had a salvage yard he always hung out in. This was like 1956-58. He was there to buy German helmets. They had piles of em. He said he would take em out in the woods and shoot em with his P-38. Then he would make a cleaning selling them to the new crop of GI's transferred in. $5 a pop! Back to my story,,,,, he said these old brothers had an entire B-17 in their shop. Scattered around all over in pieces. He said knowing these old boys the way he did, it was ALL there!!!
My grandmother had a bunch of German Helmets, that were brought back in WW 1 and 2....they were kinda passed on down by various family members and ended up in the barn....she pulled a bunch of them out thinking they would make dandy flower pots...until after a couple of years of use, I told her what they were probably worth... this was back in the late 70s, early 80s ( she passed in 1990)

when I was a kid and lived in England ( 63 to 66), there was a junkyard over in Cambridge that had the fuselage of a B 17....and then where I went to school at on Molesworth, there were still scrapped parts of B 17s in various sizes, on parts of the base that had been the scrap pile during the war...even all the Nissen/Ouonset Huts were all there boarded up....our school lunch run was a WW2 chow hall, and our auditorium was a mission briefing room... the AF let the school have use of it in 1964, when the other one burned down....my gym class was assigned to go in and clean it up, since it was winter and always raining...

on the stage, there was a big curtain, covered in dust, but when we pulled that moth eaten thing back, there was a big map of NW Europe... on it was the briefing from the last mission the 303rd Bomb Group flew over Germany in April 1945....
I don't have a B 17 but I had a Norden bomb sight.
Ya'll make your way down here with a day or two to spare, and some light dirt bikes, we can go see a PLETHORA of WW2 aircraft, B17s not so much as "Liberators" wrecked in training.
....admittedly "picked over", but sure neat to sit by and go into very humble mode.

...lonely deaths, those.

GTC
Might need to come for a visit with a 4wheeler, just to do that, Greg.

Mark
Sadly no dirt bikes or 4 wheelers...

but that would be something to see...

you never hear the stat much, but for every American killed in combat in WW 2, three were lost in training, or other such "accidents"...
I don't have a B 17 but I had a Norden bomb sight.

I need it on my commode for when grandkids are over!!!
Ah jeez,put a 45x Leupold with CDS on their tally-whacker.
Ah jeez,put a 45x Leupold with CDS on their tally-whacker.

That takes care of the boys, how do you mount one on the girls? eek shocked

Ed
Extension rings. grin
Well, the .38 Super brass is in the Classifieds, but I'd trade for some .25-20 brass
so what sort of interesting firearms are folks planning to bring?

I'll probably bring some eclectic things. Maybe a strange and exotic .270 for the prairie dog shoot smile
I hope you feel better soon Ken!
so what sort of interesting firearms are folks planning to bring? I'll probably bring some eclectic things. Maybe a strange and exotic .270 for the prairie dog shoot smile

Exotic is good, and strange is better, especially in a .270 - never know what will win the PD shoot.

I have one of those "eclectic things" too, and it looks to be ambidextrous as well, but it won't shoot straight. Anyone have a factory manual?
A .475 Turnbull could be interesting

[Linked Image]

probably won't bring the cat, though...
heres a rare ole bird

https://levine.infinitebidding.com/?method=getLotInfo&lotref=3C725462AB&seq=136
If we can make it 50/50 chance right now, I intend to bring this recently finished project for shooting!

[Linked Image]
Nice,what's the chambering?

Interesting notch on the forearm. Looks like bowstring notch. Is it meant to tie it to a tree to keep the kicking down? grin miles
Nice,what's the chambering?

Just an ol' 30-30.
Thanks Kaywoodie.

Interesting notch on the forearm. Looks like bowstring notch. Is it meant to tie it to a tree to keep the kicking down? grin miles

I confess, despite being a collector of #1's, I have no idea why the Henry forends have the notch there. blush
� Interesting notch on the forearm. Looks like bowstring notch. Is it meant to tie it to a tree to keep the kicking down? grin miles

I confess, despite being a collector of #1's, I have no idea why the Henry forends have the notch there. blush

I always took that to be a crazy, for-no-good-reason styling feature.

But your question, Miles, brings to mind something that my late friend Ted Smith used to do.

Ted, who built the bullet-swaging business that Dave Corbin now owns, used to run a bungee cord from the front sling swivel down over the front edge of the bench, to soften recoil a bit.
How is the rain coming along up that way? Getting much?
The clouds have been trying - disclocated sprinkles to date, so one can find damp earth here and there. No big general downpour or steady rain across the north Gila area so far, but we are trusting. Right now it is sprinkling on and off outside the shop - and mid-day rain is a better sign.
How is the rain coming along up that way? Getting much?

Took a nice, long, soaking bath this morning � then, thoroughly drained, conked-out in my recliner � and I mean out � until loud rain woke me. It drummed hard on the roof for quite a while, then softened to a quiet, steady, cooing murmur that lasted a good while longer. The ground is of course thoroughly wet.

There was no thunder then, but I hear some now. It's coming closer. We might be getting some more downpour in a few minutes.

Suits me!
Well, it's gone now. All's quiet out there again.

I haven't looked out to see whether we got any more rain right here, but for sure we got some more somewhere near here � as is usual in this patch-worky area.

My friend Rick has been getting unending rain for several days at his place about 25 road miles NNE of Quemado. So this area is getting a lot of rain, even when this spot or that spot is getting little or none.
Nowcast | as of 10:04 PM MDT on July 8, 2014

Showers will continue through late evening. A broad area of storms across eastern Cibola and eastern McKinley counties will move across San Mateo...Ambrosia Lake...Interstate 40 near Grants... McCartys...and Laguna Pueblo...Acoma Pueblo...and southwestern portions of Sandoval County. In San Juan and Rio Arriba counties... showers extending from Shiprock...to Farmington...to Bloomfield... across the Jicarilla Apache reservation to Lindrith will continue through late evening. A broad area of showers over Catron County will remain over Highway 60...State Road 12...Quemado...Pie Town... Datil...Old Horse Springs...and Beaverhead. Mores storms in western Socorro County will remain near dusty...the National radio astronomy observatory...and the Alamo Navajo Reservation. Expect some thunder and rainfall up to a tenth of an inch along with gusts to 40 mph in heavier showers through late evening. Elsewhere...expect less than a tenth of an inch and occasional thunder in scattered showers through late evening.
We did have a few scattered showers across a 50 mile wide swath yesterday - none in this area overnight - but the western NM forecast for today calls for more.

I hope it works that way. It remains very dry down here and the forest is closed to campfires, etc.
I haven't been watching the activity in the Pacific as I have the Atlantic, is there any hope for a large system to move moisture into your part of the world any time soon?

Ed
there was a thread going this morning on facebook re dust storm in phx valley last night. Someone posted on the east side they got a lot of rain. I commented this last weekend on my porch in prescott it was lightly raining, and smelled, well fresh. It was also about 50degrees. 100miles to the south in Hades, you get rain and it's really liquid mud. There are two seasons of the year i have to get in the mountains, first snowfall, and in the monsoon, nothing like rain in the trees.
Search Google for the current status of "our" Armijo Springs camp ground.

See what the U S Forest Service says about it.

(Tried to post the link here, but it's too long.)
Ed, at this time of year, our most abundant moisture tends to flow up from the Gulf rather than across from the west coast. The Pacific storms usually affect us more during the winter, but we do get some summer stuff from that direction once in a while. Now would be a good time for that.

We are getting some showers here in the forest again today - still waiting for the bigger monsoon development here.
Prayers sent!

Ed
OK - just now talked with someone at the local USFS ranger station. Due to very recent rainfall, the campfire restrictions at Armijo Springs have been lifted - campfires OK. This will remain dependent on continued rainfall - so keep the rain coming until our gathering.

Also - we are a bit more than a month out. Probably time for us to chime in regarding intent to participate so we can develop our list for the group PM to facilitate planning and particulars.

Who is in, eh?
Me,me,me! smile
I am in. It's looking like Brandy and the kids will be with me. Although I think we will be coming up early Saturday a.m.
I had planned to come Friday, but I don't think work is going to make that possible.
Yepper, I am in.

Bacon as usual...(krp lol)

And something new

Pierogies if I can score some.

I am in.
I am in.

Me too. miles
I am in.

and since I am Scott's Transportation from Oregon south, I'll be there also....just a couple of 'wild and crazy' old guys making a road trip down that way...
Finally got Scotts, finger prints out of the Hepburn, looks like i better bring a pair of white gloves this time. i am planning to come if this border stuff settles down.CCCC, will keep you advised. rio7
I am in
Originally Posted by RIO7
Finally got Scotts, finger prints out of the Hepburn, looks like i better bring a pair of white gloves this time. i am planning to come if this border stuff settles down.CCCC, will keep you advised. rio7

That's a miracle! You'd better make it kevlar gloves with a shock collar accessory if you want to get it back this time. grin

Ed
As of now, young son and I will be there!
Good replies - looks like an excellent time to be had - keep em' coming.
I won't.
I will.
Great - one afternoon and already 10 on the list.

Elkhunternm
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
RIO7 (tentative)
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
CCCC
I plan to come in Friday with my younger daughter Donelle, her two children and her current beau and his two. I will have to leave to go to Albuquerque on Saturday around noon and will return late that night or early on Sunday, depending on how things go up there. I trust that you will all see that they are included in my absence.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and hate like hell to miss the afternoon shooting. If anyone thinks that retirement means that you no longer have obligations and scheduling conflicts, let me be the first to disabuse you of that notion. Can't wait to see you all again!
Originally Posted by RIO7

That's a miracle! You'd better make it kevlar gloves with a shock collar accessory if you want to get it back this time. grin

Ed

Who me???? whistle
Blue I think you're lucky it was only finger prints Scott left of that trim Hepburn of yours! grin
Gee whiz, admire someone's fine piece of workmanship and you will never live it down.

However I still can't seem to get my hands straightened out. They seem to be stuck in the position they were when I last held the Hepburn. Wonder why that is????
Who me???? whistle

Henceforth, you shall be known as "Whoomee". grin

Ed
laugh laugh laugh
It may be time to point out nobody else knew what it was and I identified it from clear across the fire. I am also the only one who knew who Hepburn was and why he designed it.

And, leaving permanent fingerprints is only a unproven story...

I hope.
What's all this stuff about a "Shoot"?? whistle
Since Ken didn't include us (ahem!) Frank, Brenna and I will also be there.
Since Ken didn't include us (ahem!) Frank, Brenna and I will also be there.

Looking forward to seeing you there. I suppose that Brenna's knee is problem free. Last report that I remember it was doing nicely. miles
Miles,her knee is just fine. It's the between the ears part that I worry about. wink
I think I figgered out my secret weapon for the prairie dog shoot...
It's the between the ears part that I worry about.

That is typical when dealing with young people. miles

Make it good - am thinking the PD shoot may be at 10 yards, and shooter blindfolded.
Oh good! That means I may have a chance this year.
Make it good - am thinking the PD shoot may be at 10 yards, and shooter blindfolded.

Am I still the judge? I am thinking on taking payoffs this year. grin miles
Someone else will have dress up as a prairie dog...once was enough. grin

We gonna spin him/her around in circles, too, before the shot?

smile
Just reserved our room at the Largo! Changed plans again, and we'll be up Friday late afternoon or early evening.

Am I still the judge? I am thinking on taking payoffs this year. grin miles
How about $1.00? whistle
How about $1.00?

I was thinking more like $1,000,000. If I am going to sell my soul and be a sorry SOB, I want to be a rich one. grin miles
Well schit,I'm gonna have to start saving. frown
Problem is, the prizes and bragging rights are usually not that good, so most ain't going to ante up much. grin Paul (cccc) might be the exception. miles
True. wink
How about $1.00?

I was thinking more like $1,000,000. If I am going to sell my soul and be a sorry SOB, I want to be a rich one. grin miles

How about a real collectible? The only known and very first formed example of the .270 Ingwe?

grin
Only if Ingwe signs the cartridge! smile
It's actually the .270 +.14 Ingwe... as he has had all of his 7mm mausers restamped...

Kent
Kent,the .270 Ingwe is a 7x57 necked down to .270. wink
yeah, like this, with the parent case:

[Linked Image]

the only known example

and we have Angwe Ingwe every time he sees it

grin

I still want to have a .270 Ingwe. Have a Springfield 1903 that would be re-barreled if I ever press on with it.
Looks like I'm gonna hafta gin-up a .285 Western Hunter (the .280 Remington significantly improved).
Need one of those too! grin
Looks like I'm gonna hafta gin-up a .285 Western Hunter (the .280 Remington significantly improved).
Need one of those too! grin

Will get right on it � one of these days.

Got more on my plate now than I can eat with one fork.
I am a patient person...
Just reserved our room at the Largo! Changed plans again, and we'll be up Friday late afternoon or early evening.

This is GOOD - the sooner, the better.
How about $1.00?

Yup, that's good ol' Miles, he may be easy, but he ain't cheap! grin

Ed

P.S. You folks better not forget about Paul and that deadly Low Wall .22-250 he won the P.D. Shoot here with. cool
� You folks better not forget about Paul and that deadly Low Wall .22-250 he won the P.D. Shoot here with. cool

You folks better not "sell Paul short" on anything!
I was doing the scoring and I could not beat him. grin miles
Hi Guys!
Maybe this time we should have two prarie dog shoots - one for .24 and down, one for .25 and up? I would mind entering twice. Maybe the big bore should be offhand?
We spend a lot of time on the PD shoot so I think IF we do two it would probably be a rimfire and an open class. If someone wants to shoot a 300 RUM at a PD target (read Jon) good luck!
As this gets a little closer, we might have to start a new thread to get assignments so we aren't digging through 10 pages! I am undecided as to how soon I will be going up. Maybe a week early grin
"Assignments?"
I volunteer to be assigned to hold a Hepburn in one hand and Brian's Ruger 45 LC in the other.
Following have said "I'm in" so far and will be in the planning PM - so, please chime in if you intend to attend:

Elkhunternm (+fam)
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
RIO7 (tentative)
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
mudhen (+fam)
dennisinaz
CCCC
You can add KRP and Talus in Arizona, both told me they are planning to attend when I spoke to them yesterday
And DARBY

And Paladin

And a couple more whose names I'm not sure of.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
We spend a lot of time on the PD shoot so I think IF we do two it would probably be a rimfire and an open class. If someone wants to shoot a 300 RUM at a PD target (read Jon) good luck!

It was the most accurate weapon I had @ 100 yards!

I really wish I could join you guys this year. Time is getting close and the area has been getting more rain, early than I've ever scene in my time in New Mexico.

Just a little FYSA for anyone traveling there- I've heard from a couple very good sources that the Tiger Muskie fishing at the lake has been OUT OF FRIGGEN control. If someone has time, I'd suggest maybe going a day early and floating around out there catching fish.
And DARBY

And Paladin

And a couple more whose names I'm not sure of.

How about DD, Greg W, Enrique ?
Are you going to make it Greg? I have a little something to give you.

hopefully not the "gift that keeps on giving"... a kitten... whistle

All I can say at this point is that I'm going to TRY.

......my attendance is in no way certain, at this point in time (and History).

GTC
I will bring it anyway and if you cannot make it maybe someone there can bring it to you.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

All I can say at this point is that I'm going to TRY.

......my attendance is in no way certain, at this point in time (and History).

GTC

Hope you can make it Greg. I also have a couple things for you. And neither one eats cat food. smile
Have sent encouragement/reminder PMs to previous participants and those mentioned above who have not yet chimed in here re participation. Waiting for their replies before trying for a final PM list. Keep your powder dry.
I think we will get more- Enrique was hoping to come
gun smithing stuff

i can pick it up and get it to kent or someone coming to the getogether

http://www.auctionaz.com/061913nbponline.htm

or google auctionaz.com and check out the bankrupcy for gun smithing shop
Thanks, Gary. Are you planning to be at the August event?
still up in the air on that one - will see as time closes in
Still waiting on when surgery will be scheduled for wifey. May bring my other son along too, if we get to come. Still planning on ot as of now!
May bring my other son along too, if we get to come.

Will that be the Son that likes to look at old rocks? If so I might bring a few to show him. miles
Well, the younger is the grave robber. But they both have anthro degrees. So they like all that kinda stuff. I'm really, really hoping we can be there!
Yesterday I was packing things I promised to bring. The "Bone Of Contention" is wrapped in bubble wrap and in the box.
Excellent!
I even packed a pipe, pipe tool, and pipe cleaners. I have to get some fresh tobacco.
Following have said "I'm in" so far and will be in the planning PM - so, please chime in if you intend to attend:

Elkhunternm (+fam)
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
RIO7 (tentative)
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
mudhen (+fam)
dennisinaz
CCCC

Bigbuck215 if everything works as it should.
"Bigbuck215 if everything works as it should."

Good, will add next re-write.
Originally Posted by azcoues
gun smithing stuff

i can pick it up and get it to kent or someone coming to the getogether

http://www.auctionaz.com/061913nbponline.htm

or google auctionaz.com and check out the bankrupcy for gun smithing shop

interesting, weapon works finally bit the dust. At one time tommy was a pretty good gun smith, but it got wierd in the last few years. I had a m1A up at quemado a year or two ago, they told me it was unsafe to fire, needed a new barrel etc, for about 700bucks. A 20dollar hammer spring solved the problem.

I went through that list of stuff still available. While i don't have any way to use them, that collection of reamers for what they show listed is a heck of a deal.
Soon will be out of service for about 4 days. Here is the list of respondents to date - fine group.

Have sent a reminder PM other former participants I can remember (some feeble mind equipment here). If you know that someone is confirmed to attend and they are not listed here, please contact them to chime in. Will aim to start the planning PM by the middle of next week (7/23 or so).

Following have said "I'm in" so far and will be in the planning PM:

Elkhunternm (+fam)
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
RIO7 (tentative)
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
mudhen (+fam)
dennisinaz
krp
Darby (+cowgirl)
eh76 (tentative)
RoninPhx
crossfireoops (tentative)
45-100
Bigbuck215
CCCC
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=87829
This is what the National Weather Service has to say about it;

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...8.56478658199967&site=all&smap=1

Ed
Yeah � from Norman, Oklahoma, projecting their forecast for St Johns, Arizona, miles and miles east to Quemado, New Mexico.

Wonder where their other data-collection points are!

Wunderground has data-collection points nearly everywhere � including a very sophisticated one just west of here � a lot closer than St Johns.

Other sources that I know-of are farther west � all in Arizona.

Wunderground has data-collection points nearly everywhere � including a very sophisticated one just west of here � a lot closer than St Johns.

Thanks for the reference to the wunderground weather website and the info about their data-collection points. Checked it out, sure like their website data layout. Also there were a goodly number of data-collection points close by my place. It will now be my go-to weather website vs. weather.com .
Originally Posted by XPLRN
� Thanks for the reference to the wunderground weather website and the info about their data-collection points. Checked it out, sure like their website data layout. Also there were a goodly number of data-collection points close by my place. It will now be my go-to weather website vs. weather.com .

Can't speak for your scruff of the woods, of course, but the weather in this area is so splotchy and iffy that predictions for specific spots are impossible, and predictions for areas change hour-by-hour.

The only three ways that I can be sure what's happening here weather-wise are
� go to the kitchen window or the front door and look out
� hear rain on the roof
� see water running off the rain gutter

Rain may be strangling frogs here while frogs close by are sneezing dust � or vice versa.
Heads up...

local shop has Winchester primers on sale

Large and small pistol and small rifle

5000 for $110.00

Don't know how long the sale or supply will last.

Cheapest I have seen in a quite while.

Anyone need some brought to Quemado?
Thanks but by the time I get there I will be almost broke. That is a great price but I am still OK on Primers.
Didn't expect rain last night but got some anyway.

Nice!

Unexpected.

Even nicer!

Went over to Springerville this afternoon.

Nice to see the land green and water standing alongside the highway.

Came through a heavy squall on the way back, and something big and black is shaping-up to the south of us. Nice to see that the area is getting some rain, even when down-in-the-bowl Quemado stays dry.

Hope it lasts, for the sake of our shindig next month!
I'm looking forward to it. At the range today in Houston, everyone had a sweat-soaked shirt - me included. Western NM is sounding good about now. smile
Hey just a mention for tech savvy... Wunderground has a pretty cool app for smart phones as well. I installed it on my iPhone a week or two ago and I really like it.
Weather Bomb works great too. I have been watching Quemado on my phone.

Thanks for the reference to the wunderground weather website and the info about their data-collection points. Checked it out, sure like their website data layout. Also there were a goodly number of data-collection points close by my place. It will now be my go-to weather website vs. weather.com .

where you live it's pretty easy, hot, hotter, hottest, forcast, dry.
any thoughts on this item
auction this weekend

Winchester Model 1894 .38-55cal lever-action rifle with Marble tang sight. NRA Good. Includes hard case. From the consignor "Round rifle, button mag, 97% barrel with some freckling, 80% flaking receiver with some freckling, Exc. wood with some light handling marks, nice bore, made 1907, Lyman tang peep sight Beech combination front sigh, 9.5" walnut with steel nose cap, metal very good - turning antique brown, LOP 13", wood very good - refinished, stock straight grip walnut, shotgun style steel but plate."
heres on pic can get more info if anyone interested- curent bid $10 ends saturday

Attached picture 63_7.jpg
I'd love to have it; never have owned a .38-55, but I'm guessing around $2k is what it would bring? And I can think of other things I'd rather own. Win did a few 1894 commemoratives in .38-55, like the Chief Crazy Horse and Legendary Frontiersman. I've always thought them to be neat rifles.

My Marlin 1894 CL in .25-20 has proven a steal; yesterday it plopped 5 factory loads into an inch at 100 yards - 3 in one hole. I might just have to stick a bigger scope on it, and enter it in the PD shoot. smile
That 1894 Marlin sounds sweet. For the PD shoot, bring it on !
Originally Posted by azcoues
any thoughts on this item
auction this weekend

Winchester Model 1894 .38-55cal lever-action rifle with Marble tang sight. NRA Good. Includes hard case. From the consignor "Round rifle, button mag, 97% barrel with some freckling, 80% flaking receiver with some freckling, Exc. wood with some light handling marks, nice bore, made 1907, Lyman tang peep sight Beech combination front sigh, 9.5" walnut with steel nose cap, metal very good - turning antique brown, LOP 13", wood very good - refinished, stock straight grip walnut, shotgun style steel but plate."

There were a number of these vintage levers, including a 38.55 at a store in prescott a couple of years ago. They were listed in the mid teens. I have seen some go last summer for in the mid two's. The refinished stock does not help matters.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
where you live it's pretty easy, hot, hotter, hottest, forecast, dry.

Whether you've been getting too much rain, not enough, or none at all, this New Mexico high country offers nice, easy, cool relief this time of year.
this New Mexico high country offers nice, easy, cool relief this time of year.

Believe it or not, we have been seeing some in Arkansas for the last couple of weeks. Lows in the low sixties and highs in the high seventy's or low eighties. Nothing like I can remember. But good. miles
That 1894 Marlin sounds sweet. For the PD shoot, bring it on !

Oh, I have something extra special in mind for the PD shoot smile
So much looking forward to this gathering.

BEFORE WE ASSEMBLE OUR PLANNING PM, PLEASE CHECK THIS LIST AND KINDLY RESPOND IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Those who indicate intent to participate:
Elkhunternm (+fam)
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
mudhen (+fam)
dennisinaz
krp
Darby (+cowgirl)
RoninPhx
45-100
Bigbuck215
XPLRN
KC
CCCC

Those who indicate wish/intent to participate but are still TENTATIVE:

RIO7
eh76
crossfireoops
Enrique
Dave Price
Mark Shubert

Previous participants recently sent inquiry via PM, but not yet responding (if you know them and think they are coming, please ask them to reply):
Border Doc
Paladin
Talus in Arizona
chesterpulley
Paladin is on safari in Africa, I think.

Plans to be at the gathering, I understand.
Jeff (Talus) plans to come with me unless something gets in the way.
I will call Border Doc and let him know when the rondy will take place.
Paladin is on safari in Africa, I think. Plans to be at the gathering, I understand.

It would be good to see David again. This thread has been going for quite a while - it would be helpful if he were to communicate his intent with this group, in some manner.

That is nice of you, Ken. Jim has not replied at all to that PM - would be great to have him with us again.
Paladin is on safari in Africa, I think. Plans to be at the gathering, I understand.

It would be good to see David again. This thread has been going for quite a while - it would be helpful if he were to communicate his intent with this group, in some manner.

Kristy and the kids were just here at the shop. They said they were all coming! Saw pics of David's Wildebeest and his zebra!

Look's like my wife's surgery won't be done until August 26th, so myself and the two boys are as of now 97% sure of attending! I'm just keeping an eye on my mom too. She's not well.

Looking forward to seeing all!

Bob
CCCC, i am planning on being there. will follow this thread. looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones, rio7

That is nice of you, Ken. Jim has not replied at all to that PM - would be great to have him with us again.
Talked to Jim and he said it's "highly unlikely" he will make it. His son/wife are excepting a baby around that time frame.
Thanks Ken - and good news, Blue.
One last heads up.

The shop that has the Winchester primers that I posted earlier also has...

8lb Kegs of Hodgdon H335 Spherical Rifle Powder for $169 plus tax if anyone is interested.

I can bring it to Quemado just give me a heads up.

Of course � he should honor the director's selfless efforts to reduce if not eliminate the chaos that can occur when a lot of fun-loving folks come together for camaraderie.

We'll have to have Sister Sherman Tank rap him on the knuckles when he shows-up. laugh
OK � given our various affirmative indications regarding participation, the following folks will be on the planning PM to be started today. See you there.

Indicated intent to participate:
Elkhunternm (+fam)
THOMAS MAGNUM (+fam)
bcolorado
ScottF
milespatton
Seafire
tex n cal
kaywoodie (+young son)
labarr
mudhen (+fam)
dennisinaz
krp
Darby (+cowgirl)
RoninPhx
45-100
Bigbuck215
XPLRN
KC
Talus in Arizona
Rio7
CCCC

Maybe - we are hoping to see them:
eh76
crossfireoops
Enrique
Dave Price
Mark Shubert
Paladin
Our PM for participants is underway. If you have come late to this thread and wish to be involved in any way, simply contact one of the named participants and we will do our best to help.
I thought we all agreed not to invite Miles -- ??? ---- cool cool cool
Originally Posted by DARBY

just people with chevrolet pickups

I guess that takes Paul out. shocked laugh

Ed

I'll be sure to put a Chevy decal over the parts of my 4 Runner that says Toyota, before I get into New Mexico....

or is it suppose to say Chebby down that way?
Turkey Rim Shoot: @ 2:00 PM (dennisinaz and CCCC)

Any rifle shooting any rim fire cartridge using any sight from any hunting position � but NOT from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks or tripod, etc. are OK. Target will be a reduced-size turkey at somewhere between 30 and 50 yards with a 1/2� dot at a vital place. The shooter makes 5 shots within a period of 2 minutes. Smallest 5 shot group HAVING AT LEAST ONE SHOT WITHIN THE DOT scores highest.

This one sounds like a really fun shoot! I am looking forward to it.
Turkey Rim Shoot: @ 2:00 PM (dennisinaz and CCCC)

Any rifle shooting any rim fire cartridge using any sight from any hunting position � but NOT from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks or tripod, etc. are OK. Target will be a reduced-size turkey at somewhere between 30 and 50 yards with a 1/2� dot at a vital place. The shooter makes 5 shots within a period of 2 minutes. Smallest 5 shot group HAVING AT LEAST ONE SHOT WITHIN THE DOT scores highest.

This one sounds like a really fun shoot! I am looking forward to it.

Well, Tom, folks suggested a rimfire shoot and I thought it would be good to have one that kids could enjoy too. Then, after concocting it a few days ago I was somewhat uncertain. But, I sent the description over to Dennis and he didn't say "no way". We may be good. He probably has a great rimfire.

I'll be sure to put a Chevy decal over the parts of my 4 Runner that says Toyota, before I get into New Mexico....or is it suppose to say Chebby down that way?

Watch your tongue fella !!! And, there's no re-labeling that will make a Toyota look good - or acceptable - in these parts. grin
Paul my rimfire of choice for this is nothing to sneeze at, but the shooter may not be up to par. grin
[Linked Image]
Winchester 52 heavy barrel
1.5oz canjar trigger
Single shot conversion
Thomas, that is a BEAUTY - far outclasses any of the simple rimfire stuff that lives here. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

On this end, I understand about "the shooter". By now, some days seem OK but others are a combo of wiggles and poor views. No complaints - there were plenty of good years.
I thought we all agreed not to invite Miles -- ??? ----

I did not wait for an invite. I am coming, like it or not. grin miles
Some folks just simply don't need any invitation.

Just come.
Thomas, that is a BEAUTY - far outclasses any of the simple rimfire stuff that lives here. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

On this end, I understand about "the shooter". By now, some days seem OK but others are a combo of wiggles and poor views. No complaints - there were plenty of good years.

Paul it's far from a beauty, but it works darn well. It was a silhouette rifle for sometime and it shows plenty of use.
Just come.
Going to take something drastic to keep me away. Darby ain't it. grin miles
Thanks, Tom. When I said "beauty", primarily was referring to that basic Win rifle design and the way you have it set up - not referring to someone's idea of "eye-pleasing" aestehtics. High taste for me are those that adhere closest, and most economically, to the one true purpose of a rifle.
any interest in a vintage prairie wet wheel grinder ? kent has first shot

not actual motor but basically same grinder set-up

can provide real pics

Attached picture 1664-A.jpg
Those thing are great! you just might want to hold on to it.
Ok this walked in yesterday with a whole load of other relics. I had to have it! Should I bring it? Anyone have any .450 Adams???

[Linked Image]
Looks like Focchi make them at $3.75 a round. That is a bit steep for my budget.
http://www.ammo-one.com/450RevolverAdamsShortColt.html
Thanks Scott!

Yeah! The common theme on that ammo is it might be a bit too hot for the RIC. Heard of some cylinder burst. I kinda find that hard to believe.

But the stuff isn't to hard to cobble up out of cut 45 Colt cases! Just not time or material to put any together in time.
I understand you can make them from shortened .455 Webley brass. or extremely shortened 45 colt. tom
here are a couple of links
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208808-Creating-450-Adams-ammunition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtGPOxGw-E

tom
Thanks!!! Yes you can do that too!!! And I used to have a bunch of .455 brass. But it has gone the way of the Dodo a long time ago. Eventually I'll have some nice black powder loads put together and have some fun !
Somewhere I have an original Springfield Armory box of 12 rounds for the Schofield. Picked it up of all places from a pawn shop next to Schofield Barracks in HI.
Saw a Texas gal today with a .45 Adams Apple.
Paul, she tweren't no gal!!! laugh
You must be an expert - have you studied up on Adams Apple genders?

Her sign-board said she was a Texas gal. Them T-gals seem to have lumps all over the place - one of hers was below her chin and above her shoulders. Actually, looked to be about .47 cal.
Nope, my sister lives in Iowa! laugh
Don't you just love it when things come together

unless its your face and a steel bar

goona leave a nice scar - lucky didnt fracture my eye socket

had a bad headache for a while

Attached picture DSC02780.jpg
What does the other guy look like?

That's gotta hurt!

Ed
What a great time!!!!!!! In Fort Stockton now. On way home. Raining like the dickens here. More tomorrow when I can!

Bob
Safe travels, Bob! I sure wish I could have been there. frown

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.

Ed
Bob- it was great meeting you and James and especially, Mike. Don't let that 30 get away!

Dennis
Get the thread with the pictures going! Looking forward to hearing the stories.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pigs

[Linked Image]
Me shooting Paladin (David) Merkel .470 NE.

[Linked Image]

My daughter just after shooting the .470 NE.
[Linked Image]

Judy getting ready to "let'er rip!" with the .470 NE.

[Linked Image]
Kaywoodie (Bob) and I horsing around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Forgot to check the camera battery before I left home, so I only took a few pictures during the prairie dog shoot.

Patrick at the bench
[Linked Image]

Dennis spotting
[Linked Image]

My daughter, Donelle, adjusting the sunshade (Dennis' hat)
[Linked Image]

John (Seafire) enjoying the show
[Linked Image]
The Peanut Gallery
[Linked Image]

Scott and his K-Hornet
[Linked Image]

Jeremy trying to get a better view of the targets in the shade
[Linked Image]

Krysti (sp?) lining it up
[Linked Image]

Blue and Mark listening to Scott's excuses
[Linked Image]

Seafire don't need no stinkin' chair!
[Linked Image]
My turn
[Linked Image]

Mark at the bench
[Linked Image]

Da Judge!
[Linked Image]

Paul (CCCC) setting up
[Linked Image]

Ken and Judy
[Linked Image]
One more: Miles tallying up the scores--Dennis won.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks comfy, but I don't think that chair would be easy to get out of!

John
Pigs

[Linked Image]

Pigs soaking up a bit more heat and some beer;

[Linked Image]

*edit per a request in another thread for people I.D.; James/kaywoodie's son tending to the pig meat, Scott F with cowboy hat, Pat/tex_n_cal, Ron/RonInPhx, Brian/bcolorado, Bob/kaywoodie
[Linked Image]
James and his son Micheal

It was great to meet you/kaywoodie, your son James and your grandson Micheal. That pig meat and the sausage appetizers were very tasty!! Thanks for all the efforts you and James put into making that happen!!

Also thanks for the sharing of all the humor and classic firearms knowledge you have stored away. grin

On the way home after a late start. Should make it home Friday or Saturday.
At a motel in Weatherford, Ok. and should be home tomorrow. miles
At a motel in Weatherford, Ok. and should be home tomorrow. miles

Miles! I have a message for you!

Wifey has instructed me to inform you that you do not know how much she appreciates that bottle of George Dickel you sent home to her!!! She goes in Friday for her surgery next week. And she stated that Thursday evening she is going to crack the hatch on that bottle and enjoy a shot or two!

Bob
Thursday evening she is going to crack the hatch on that bottle and enjoy a shot or two!

Good on Her. Glad I could do it, I just wish that I would have sent a Razorback shot glass along. miles
A BIG thanks to Ron/RoninPhx for the invite to attend the 2014 Quemado gathering with him. We got to see some awesome NIA(Nature In Action) exhibitions when we were rolling into New Mexico;
[Linked Image]

Pictures are working the way they should but I'm having some issues with Photobucket video links. All three of the links below are the same video. Was trying to get the link that has the click-able picture to start the video...but no workie.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/XPL...ado%202014/MVI_3223_zpsb678e28c.mp4.html

Omminous Weather

This was supposed to be the 'correct' video link for posting up on forums per Photobucket but it's not functioning correctly on the 'Fire!??
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...202014/th_MVI_3223_zpsb678e28c.mp4[/img]

Was sure fun to communicate with folks I'd met last year and a lot of fun meeting new folks also!! It was great to visit with Ken Howell while we were there. I had been looking forward to hearing some more of Curdog's thought provoking knowledge but he didn't make it. The one line that he shared with me that I'll never forget was; "Everything you own, owns you!!" . His explanation of that was sooo on target!!

Also missed getting to talk with BirdWatcher and his cool wife. It would have been fun to hear the stories of his epic bicycle ride and shoot the BP rifle again.

Here are some miscellaneous pictures and videos. If you want to see any of the pictures in original/high resolution detail all you have to do is click twice on the magnifying glass in the lower right hand corner of the Photobucket picture. I really liked seeing the children getting great attention and coaching on firearms safety.

[Linked Image]
Miles, Micheal(kaywoodie's grandson) and Joe Darby

[Linked Image]

SeaFire was coaching these young boys on the recoil of the .475 Turnbull ;
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/XPL...20Turnbull/MVI_3250_zps76e4e334.mp4.html

David Paladin was coaching Toby?? on pistol shooting;
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/XPL...ado%202014/MVI_3267_zpsbe3fbcc1.mp4.html

Brian/bcolorado had asked me to get some pictures of Ken Howell's shooting sticks in action. As I understand it Brian was passing them along to Scott F !???
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sometimes the excitement and stimulating conversation at a gathering just overwhelms.........as illustrated by Ron/RoninPhx!! grin
[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Quemado%202014/IMG_3238_zps16c1a0c7.jpg[/img]

Made it home last night.

Sure had a "Hamm's-tastic time".

Would like to thank all that came and made the weekend special.
Also, thanks to all that helped deposit lead in the hillside and even make apple sauce...especially the youngsters.

Gonna be cleaning time tonight...

[Linked Image]
Made it home last night.

Also, thanks to all that helped deposit lead in the hillside and even make apple sauce...especially the youngsters.

[Linked Image]

ah, I believe someone did offer, very kindly, mind you, to assist you in that operation, but you chose to decline the very generous offer.
Having a "hamm" experience probably means peeing 20 times between new mexico and denver.
Made it home last night.

[Linked Image]

You fit all that in the Buick??
Thankfully all the lead I brought was deposited in the hill by a bunch of folks. The car didn't sag nearly as bad on the way home. grin
we all are a bunch of stupids. AS anyone heard of Elfego Baca?
Friend to Billy the Kid and Villa? Well, at least for a while with Villa? And the siege of Frisco, where he stood off, by himself, about 80 texicans, that fired over 4000 rounds at him not hitting him once?

I had heard of the battle, but didn't know that frisco, is now called reserve, New Mexico, and was about 40 miles from where we were at. Have to go there.
I knew of the shootout, but didn't know it was reserve, new mexico
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco_Shootout
Wasn't there a Disney movie made about the shoot out? I seem to remember it.
Lots of Bacas up here in Catron County.

Down the road, in Reserve, there is a nice monument to Elfego Baca, commemorating the event. Depicts Baca in a jacal firing a handgun, and a plaque gives some of the historical data.
I knew Disney made it into a show!
Theme song!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjajkRjYeqk

And the show!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQwYgEZCnI
evidently that madonna is in a catholic church in new mexico.
Theme song!

And the show!

Well there went 50:49 minutes of my life, thanks, good entertainment with lots of laughs!! Now it's on to the next episode with the .50 cal rifle that almost took his life.
Theme song!

And the show!

Well there went 50:49 minutes of my life, thanks, good entertainment with lots of laughs!! Now it's on to the next episode with the .50 cal rifle that almost took his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyEG_QF8tw

Well that crazy miner with the .50 cal rifle.....and that was just the show start-up.
The Cabela's here had one of Elfego Baca's revolvers in the gun library when they opened. It had a letter with it from Elfego Baca stating that it was his gun, and how he had used to kill a man on an El Paso street during his time as a lawyer and the year it all occurred.

As I recall it was double action .41 Colt
The Cabela's here had one of Elfego Baca's revolvers in the gun library when they opened. It had a letter with it from Elfego Baca stating that it was his gun, and how he had used to kill a man on an El Paso street during his time as a lawyer and the year it all occurred.

As I recall it was double action .41 Colt

That would have been interesting to check out!! I wonder if by any odd chance it's still there!??
Originally Posted by jpb
[Linked Image]

Looks comfy, but I don't think that chair would be easy to get out of!

John

actually John, It is pretty easy...

just bounce down and it will propel you right out of there...

called a bunge chair...pretty darn comfortable...
I don't believe that the gun is still there, but I am not positive.
Sure wishing I could have gone to Quemado this year... Alas, I'll see everyone this winter in Arizona.
I just now saw this thread and was wondering if there is going to be another camp at Armijo Springs this year.
If you know please PM me. I don't know how to turn on notifications for threads.
Thanks.
Yes, we already started a thread 'Quemado 2015' it'll be july 24-26.

Kent
© 24hourcampfire