Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Kaywoodie.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
A .475 Turnbull could be interesting

Interesting notch on the forearm. Looks like bowstring notch. Is it meant to tie it to a tree to keep the kicking down? grin miles

I confess, despite being a collector of #1's, I have no idea why the Henry forends have the notch there. blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by milespatton
� Interesting notch on the forearm. Looks like bowstring notch. Is it meant to tie it to a tree to keep the kicking down? grin miles

I confess, despite being a collector of #1's, I have no idea why the Henry forends have the notch there. blush

I always took that to be a crazy, for-no-good-reason styling feature.

But your question, Miles, brings to mind something that my late friend Ted Smith used to do.

Ted, who built the bullet-swaging business that Dave Corbin now owns, used to run a bungee cord from the front sling swivel down over the front edge of the bench, to soften recoil a bit.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is the rain coming along up that way? Getting much?

IC B2

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The clouds have been trying - disclocated sprinkles to date, so one can find damp earth here and there. No big general downpour or steady rain across the north Gila area so far, but we are trusting. Right now it is sprinkling on and off outside the shop - and mid-day rain is a better sign.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
How is the rain coming along up that way? Getting much?

Took a nice, long, soaking bath this morning � then, thoroughly drained, conked-out in my recliner � and I mean out � until loud rain woke me. It drummed hard on the roof for quite a while, then softened to a quiet, steady, cooing murmur that lasted a good while longer. The ground is of course thoroughly wet.

There was no thunder then, but I hear some now. It's coming closer. We might be getting some more downpour in a few minutes.

Suits me!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, it's gone now. All's quiet out there again.

I haven't looked out to see whether we got any more rain right here, but for sure we got some more somewhere near here � as is usual in this patch-worky area.

My friend Rick has been getting unending rain for several days at his place about 25 road miles NNE of Quemado. So this area is getting a lot of rain, even when this spot or that spot is getting little or none.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nowcast | as of 10:04 PM MDT on July 8, 2014

Showers will continue through late evening. A broad area of storms across eastern Cibola and eastern McKinley counties will move across San Mateo...Ambrosia Lake...Interstate 40 near Grants... McCartys...and Laguna Pueblo...Acoma Pueblo...and southwestern portions of Sandoval County. In San Juan and Rio Arriba counties... showers extending from Shiprock...to Farmington...to Bloomfield... across the Jicarilla Apache reservation to Lindrith will continue through late evening. A broad area of showers over Catron County will remain over Highway 60...State Road 12...Quemado...Pie Town... Datil...Old Horse Springs...and Beaverhead. Mores storms in western Socorro County will remain near dusty...the National radio astronomy observatory...and the Alamo Navajo Reservation. Expect some thunder and rainfall up to a tenth of an inch along with gusts to 40 mph in heavier showers through late evening. Elsewhere...expect less than a tenth of an inch and occasional thunder in scattered showers through late evening.

"Good enough" isn't.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We did have a few scattered showers across a 50 mile wide swath yesterday - none in this area overnight - but the western NM forecast for today calls for more.

I hope it works that way. It remains very dry down here and the forest is closed to campfires, etc.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I haven't been watching the activity in the Pacific as I have the Atlantic, is there any hope for a large system to move moisture into your part of the world any time soon?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there was a thread going this morning on facebook re dust storm in phx valley last night. Someone posted on the east side they got a lot of rain. I commented this last weekend on my porch in prescott it was lightly raining, and smelled, well fresh. It was also about 50degrees. 100miles to the south in Hades, you get rain and it's really liquid mud. There are two seasons of the year i have to get in the mountains, first snowfall, and in the monsoon, nothing like rain in the trees.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Search Google for the current status of "our" Armijo Springs camp ground.

See what the U S Forest Service says about it.

(Tried to post the link here, but it's too long.)

"Good enough" isn't.

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ed, at this time of year, our most abundant moisture tends to flow up from the Gulf rather than across from the west coast. The Pacific storms usually affect us more during the winter, but we do get some summer stuff from that direction once in a while. Now would be a good time for that.

We are getting some showers here in the forest again today - still waiting for the bigger monsoon development here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Prayers sent!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK - just now talked with someone at the local USFS ranger station. Due to very recent rainfall, the campfire restrictions at Armijo Springs have been lifted - campfires OK. This will remain dependent on continued rainfall - so keep the rain coming until our gathering.

Also - we are a bit more than a month out. Probably time for us to chime in regarding intent to participate so we can develop our list for the group PM to facilitate planning and particulars.

Who is in, eh?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Me,me,me! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am in. It's looking like Brandy and the kids will be with me. Although I think we will be coming up early Saturday a.m.
I had planned to come Friday, but I don't think work is going to make that possible.

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 07/10/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yepper, I am in.

Bacon as usual...(krp lol)

And something new

Pierogies if I can score some.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am in.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (2500HD, 264mag, 222Sako, 257 mag, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 45 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,388
Posts18,506,816
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.