-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes there are a lot of "false" Corso that some backyard breeder mixed with pitbull, terrier, mastiff, to appear to be a Corso but are not.

You will pay for quality. Temperament is the #1 trait I would look for in a "Cane". Most want or think that they will get aggressive that's not what the breed was meant for, but they have no issue with protecting it's master and property.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
As with everyone else, my bias is going to show through here. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better companion than a Newfoundland. They're extremely gentle, love being around people, have a very laid-back disposition and you never have to worry about them being a trip hazard ( smile ). As an added bonus, the average Lab will have a higher food bill than a Newfie because Labs are much more energetic/active.
My best friend's neighbor, when I was a kid, had one. He'd be constantly loose, and come running over to his place every day to play with his Golden Retriever. He was huge, but very friendly.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Since w'fowl and birds are not on the agenda, I'd go with a papillon if I just wanted a little house dog, catahoula or other cur if something bigger.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Standard Schnauzer, fearless, don't shed and great companion.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hatari
Norwegian Elkhound. Love them.

[Linked Image]
Cool little dogs. A neighbor of mine back in the late 1980s had a brace of them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Labrador Retriever
Because only the best will do.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Although I said a Lab immediately, this guy is growing on me. A "bear" dog my son brought home 2+ years ago. Ended up sick as a pup and missed that first year of training. Wound up as a pet. In less than 3 weeks he will be leaving with my son after he gets married. frown

[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Boxer - without question.. I've had 'em since I was 5 yrs old. Nothing like a good Boxer..

But - at my age - once these two are gone there will be NO MORE dogs in this place..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ended up with a red Doberman when our son went away to school.+
Had never thought much of them in the past, but that non neutered bitch sure changed my mind. She knew what I was thinking be for I did, never left the yard with out an ok, would run male dogs off the property even while in heat,never left my vicinity, was not friendly unless I told her it was ok.Just a super dog. Still tear up a bit when I think of her. Just my take on one Doberman. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
TRH, what do they (corso) do that a GSP can't, besides kill humans and dogs easily and drop a pound of chitt? whistle
Beyond being a companion/pet, my main secondary purpose for a dog is property and personal protection, so intimidation factor is a major part of my preference. I don't live in a gated community, yet have never, in my 52 years, been the victim of a house break-in/burglary. Can't be a coincidence.

One factor in my selection is the type of dog that burglars and muggers say in surveys that they most respect and would be least likely to test.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Airedale

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pembroke Welsh Corgi, hands down. Cutest little guys on the planet. Cutest butts, too and wonderful personalities. Love those little short legs, big ears and how they just make themselves at home anywhere.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

A pup from the pound. They're awesome.
Done that twice (except, in both cases, adult dogs). Never been disappointed.

Do it that way, and they can pick you..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Esox357
Yes there are a lot of "false" Corso that some backyard breeder mixed with pitbull, terrier, mastiff, to appear to be a Corso but are not.

You will pay for quality. Temperament is the #1 trait I would look for in a "Cane". Most want or think that they will get aggressive that's not what the breed was meant for, but they have no issue with protecting it's master and property.
I was once personal friends with Dr. Carl Semencic, the author of many authoritative books on dogs and dog breed history. When, about twenty years ago, I told him I was considering a Cane Corso, he informed me that the actual breed doesn't any longer exist. All that's left is a recreation of the original breed.

That's not to say they're not great dogs.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't speak for anybody else, but I would choose :
1. Black lab
2. Yellow lab
3. Golden retriever
4. Chocolate lab

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by northcountry
I ended up with a red Doberman when our son went away to school.+
Had never thought much of them in the past, but that non neutered bitch sure changed my mind. She knew what I was thinking be for I did, never left the yard with out an ok, would run male dogs off the property even while in heat,never left my vicinity, was not friendly unless I told her it was ok.Just a super dog. Still tear up a bit when I think of her. Just my take on one Doberman. Cheers NC
I had a male Red Doberman, myself. He was perhaps the best dog I ever had. Similar to your description. He actually knew the property line, and would walk to the edge, but not step off unless with me. He also took his cues from me on who was a friend and who was not. If I welcomed someone, his conduct towards them was indistinguishable from that common for a Yellow Lab. He died of heart failure at age twelve.

[Linked Image]

He was eight or nine, I believe, in that picture.

No, I'm not an immortal. That picture was intentionally antiqued. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

A pup from the pound. They're awesome.
Done that twice (except, in both cases, adult dogs). Never been disappointed.

Do it that way, and they can pick you..

Depends on who picks the dog. My wife is 50/50, the German Shepherd Rottweiler mix was outstanding, the Samoyed was a high strung beotch in every sense of the word and one of the worst dogs I've ever had. The chessy that truly picked me, best dog I've ever had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are cute.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Norwegian Elkhound. Love them.

[Linked Image]
Cool little dogs. A neighbor of mine back in the late 1980s had a brace of them.

Playful, energetic without being manic, and loyal. They form a strong bond to their owners. As independent as they can be, they get their feelings hurt if they are reprimanded. They will pout and sulk until all parties make up.

At around 50 lbs, they are small enough to pick up, yet are ceratinly not 'kick me" dogs (unless you want to lose a foot)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
They are cute.

[Linked Image]
grin

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 59 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,446
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.