Home
If you lived in the country..... Were getting old enough that a "next dog" would likely be your last dog..... What breed would you choose?

I had a yellow Lab before I met my wife..... Jayne later told me that Amber was a part of the reason I got a second date..... She figured a guy could not be a closet jerk and have a dog that great. Amber lived to be 14.... We had to have her put down 3 years ago.... I still think about her most days.

I guess it has been long enough now that getting a second Lab might be the way to go..... Obedient to a fault, great nose, smart and an attitude that seems to say, "I'm just darn glad to be here with you.....".

A concern I have is not wanting to trip over a new dog and break body parts. Any dog we get will live in the house with us. Amber was often "under foot" not such a big deal when my agility and balance were fine..... Might pose a problem now that I have had some health issues.......

We still have our English Setter.... She turns 12 in July..... Beautiful smart athletic dog with a great nose..... Poetry in motion when out in the woods. Not an obedience breed though. I call her "The Prom Queen" she seems to think she is just so special that the rules don't really apply to her.

I am not thinking I will be doing any waterfowl or upland bird hunting to speak of in the coming years, so a new dog might not have to be a sporting breed.... Main thing would be a good companion dog that will let us know if something is going on outside we need to know about.....

May very well get another Lab.... Just wanted to hear some others thoughts on breed choice. Thanks

Lab, black.
German Shepard.
if i was old enough that hunting really wasnt an option ild prolly go with another dachshund......never wanted one but turns out i really liked the one Darla insisted we get.....good dog for when you cant do much.....plus it is a hound and not a "useless punt dog" laugh
Blue Heeler
Great Dane

Really

Great Dane

Snake
Airedale.
Our last dog, that sadly we had to put down last fall, was hands down the best dog I've ever had or known. He was a pound rescue and as far as we could tell was mostly a Chessy but may have had some lab in him.

I can't imagine a better tempered more loyal companion. A bit stubborn at times, but very smart.

[Linked Image]

Bluetick, they make great family dogs.
Standard Schnauzer.

Doesn't shed. Small enough to be an indoor dog. Smart. And a hunting SOB! smile

[Linked Image]
Always wanted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

[Linked Image]
Oops, missed the part about not wanting to trip over the dog and break body parts.

Our dog's name was Indy, after Indiana Jones. He was also known as In-dee-way as he would strategically locate himself so you'd have to pass by him. All well and good unless you got up in the middle of the night to pee and tripped over him.
I'd like to try another airedale. I had a pup for a while that I thought the world of, but "lost" her when I broke up with a long time girlfriend.

We currently have a first generation labradoodle and I really like the temperament and personality of this dog. So much so that we're meeting some folks tomorrow who have to give up their 6 year old male labradoodle because of a move they're making and we've offered to give their dog a good home, providing our dog and the male up for adoption get along well.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Oops, missed the part about not wanting to trip over the dog and break body parts.

Whoops! I missed that too. blush
Lab, yellow or black. Have had both, the black was courageous and died way before his time, the yellow was the friendliest and most loyal, loving dog I ever owned.

Jack Russell

Mike
Black Lab. Not even a question.
Looking forward to tripping over a Deutsch Draathaar
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

[Linked Image]

Funny you should say that. I saw the title of this thread and thought of a little female Staffordshire Bull that I know. My kids are just enamored with it. Very bright and calm little black/white dog, probably 35-40lbs, and she was really good with my 4yr old. I've got three dogs now, but would consider a Staffordshire Bull if another dog was in the cards.
For a companion dog, nothing beats an Australian Shepherd. Talk about unconditional love and devotion!
Not even a question - Brittany!
Hands down, an Australian Blue Heeler. A Border Collie would be a close second.
Afrikaans Boerboel
Everyone is as loyal to their dogs breed as their dogs are to them.

I'm glad to see that! smile

[Linked Image]

My dog Winnie is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier/Yellow Lab mix. She is smart, quick to take commands, protective, well behaved and a genuinely good dog. The vet says she is a strange combo, but I think the mix is just right for someone of my age and lifestyle, and even my granddaughter who is eight years old. I will get a recent pic of her this evening and post it.
1) Mountain Cur

2) Heeler (Red or Blue)

Another vote for mountain cur, they make a great all around dog - loyal, smart, great hunters, great watch dogs.
I'd have to second the Dachshund. I never liked them when I was younger, and would have said you were crazy if you'd have even suggested I'd ever own one. Then I had an ex-girlfriend give me one, and I've done a complete 180. He is my favorite dog ever (and I've had a few :), and I wouldn't trade him for any amount of money. I think that dog loves me more than anyone else in the whole world..... [Linked Image]
My next dog will more than likely be another Deutsch Drahthaar. But, I also foresee a Jagdterrier in my future.

I love the labs, and have had a couple...
But generally speaking, they are plagued with health issues, so I would not get one from just anywhere. If a lab is what you decide on, I would definitely get one from a reputable hunting lab breeder that has given health consideration in it's breeding program.

You might want to consider a hunting terrier of some type (Patterdale, Jagd, etc) since you don't plan on waterfowling or upland bird hunting. The hunting terriers are fun for just strolling through the woods and hunting...whatever!
And, from my experience, even though they're small, they can get out of the way quick as lightning.
I had a brittnay spaniel that was hell on woodcock and quail I wouldn't mind another if I got a posistion I could care for a dog and work at the same time.
Probably a Carolina Dog. I have a mix now, that actually belongs to my son, that is close and may actually be part Carolina Dog. I figure as soon as my son takes his dog home with him, it will be time for me to get a Carolina Dog and that will probably be my last.
Cane Corso
Hunting Cocker or Springer. I'm running out of time, but still plan on getting another.
Lab
Lab.
We had a Weimaraner and a Vizsla when I was growing up, loved them dearly, and still love the breeds to this day. I always said I would like have one of each, and this looks like the year to do it, going to be settling down, so it is time.
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde

I agree but make it a true Brittany, French Brittany!
I have Fox/Rat Terrier mix.

She's the smartest most loving and out & out fun dog I've ever owned.
She retrieves better than the retrievers I've had, is very protective of the property and is a squirrel hunting machine.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I have Fox/Rat Terrier mix.

She's the smartest most loving and out & out fun dog I've ever owned.
She retrieves better than the retrievers I've had, is very protective of the property and is a squirrel hunting machine.

[Linked Image]

She is one fine looking dog ! smile
German Shorthaired Pointer. A good line of them are loving to a fault , gentle with little kids and dogs, unreal smart, trees squirrels and bobcats, points quail, retrieves ducks and dove, trails up wounded deer, coyotes, etc. and keeps dimocraps from yard and home.
Beagle
Cocker Spaniel.

A pup from the pound. They're awesome.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

You remember this fellow? A before, then after his summer buzz cut. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Vizsla for me

[Linked Image]
As with everyone else, my bias is going to show through here. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better companion than a Newfoundland. They're extremely gentle, love being around people, have a very laid-back disposition and you never have to worry about them being a trip hazard ( smile ). As an added bonus, the average Lab will have a higher food bill than a Newfie because Labs are much more energetic/active.
I've read that yellow labs are the most affectionate of the breed and this guy certainly lives up to that in spades as he never leaves my side.
My best friend and constant companion.
I dread the day,.....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by eyeball
German Shorthaired Pointer. A good line of them are loving to a fault , gentle with little kids and dogs, unreal smart, trees squirrels and bobcats, points quail, retrieves ducks and dove, trails up wounded deer, coyotes, etc. and keeps dimocraps from yard and home.

I think the only useful trait for the op that you listed is "Keeps dimocraps from the yard and home". If this is true we all need one!
beagle. no doubt about it
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
My dog Winnie is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier/Yellow Lab mix. She is smart, quick to take commands, protective, well behaved and a genuinely good dog. The vet says she is a strange combo, but I think the mix is just right for someone of my age and lifestyle, and even my granddaughter who is eight years old. I will get a recent pic of her this evening and post it.
Looking forward to seeing her.
John, get another Lab. We added her to our family 9 months ago:

[Linked Image]
Norwegian Elkhound. Love them.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Esox357
Cane Corso
I'm very familiar with the breed. Saw one in person over twenty years ago, and was close to getting one back then. My understanding, though, is that they are a recreated historic breed, based largely on admixtures with Neapolitan Mastiffs, rather than actually the breed once used by Italian cowboys, much as the modern Irish Wolfhound is a recreation of an historic Irish breed.
Black Female pointing lab.

[Linked Image]

She is one of a kind IMO. I have marveled at her intelligence since I got her as a pup.

[Linked Image]

Very quickly turned into a great upland hunter. Was pointing, flushing and retrieving at the age of 10 months like a pro.

[Linked Image]

She's going on 10 years old now and is slowing down but still smart as a whip. Almost human like. She's my best buddy and I would want another just like her if I could get that lucky.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bea175
Beagle
I've always wanted one of them, too. Only thing that kept me from getting one was the reported behavior difficulties.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Standard Schnauzer.

[Linked Image]

Really? I had no idea you could hunt with em'
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Done that twice (except, in both cases, adult dogs). Never been disappointed.
WOW - so many fine dogs noted here - good to see such knowledge and master loyalty. If again here, almost surely a Vizsla.
TRH, what do they (corso) do that a GSP can't, besides kill humans and dogs easily and drop a pound of chitt? whistle
german short haired pointer.
Yes there are a lot of "false" Corso that some backyard breeder mixed with pitbull, terrier, mastiff, to appear to be a Corso but are not.

You will pay for quality. Temperament is the #1 trait I would look for in a "Cane". Most want or think that they will get aggressive that's not what the breed was meant for, but they have no issue with protecting it's master and property.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
As with everyone else, my bias is going to show through here. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better companion than a Newfoundland. They're extremely gentle, love being around people, have a very laid-back disposition and you never have to worry about them being a trip hazard ( smile ). As an added bonus, the average Lab will have a higher food bill than a Newfie because Labs are much more energetic/active.
My best friend's neighbor, when I was a kid, had one. He'd be constantly loose, and come running over to his place every day to play with his Golden Retriever. He was huge, but very friendly.
Since w'fowl and birds are not on the agenda, I'd go with a papillon if I just wanted a little house dog, catahoula or other cur if something bigger.
Standard Schnauzer, fearless, don't shed and great companion.
Originally Posted by hatari

[Linked Image]
Cool little dogs. A neighbor of mine back in the late 1980s had a brace of them.
Labrador Retriever
Because only the best will do.
Although I said a Lab immediately, this guy is growing on me. A "bear" dog my son brought home 2+ years ago. Ended up sick as a pup and missed that first year of training. Wound up as a pet. In less than 3 weeks he will be leaving with my son after he gets married. frown

[Linked Image]
Boxer - without question.. I've had 'em since I was 5 yrs old. Nothing like a good Boxer..

But - at my age - once these two are gone there will be NO MORE dogs in this place..
I ended up with a red Doberman when our son went away to school.+
Had never thought much of them in the past, but that non neutered bitch sure changed my mind. She knew what I was thinking be for I did, never left the yard with out an ok, would run male dogs off the property even while in heat,never left my vicinity, was not friendly unless I told her it was ok.Just a super dog. Still tear up a bit when I think of her. Just my take on one Doberman. Cheers NC
TRH, what do they (corso) do that a GSP can't, besides kill humans and dogs easily and drop a pound of chitt? whistle
Beyond being a companion/pet, my main secondary purpose for a dog is property and personal protection, so intimidation factor is a major part of my preference. I don't live in a gated community, yet have never, in my 52 years, been the victim of a house break-in/burglary. Can't be a coincidence.

One factor in my selection is the type of dog that burglars and muggers say in surveys that they most respect and would be least likely to test.
Airedale
Pembroke Welsh Corgi, hands down. Cutest little guys on the planet. Cutest butts, too and wonderful personalities. Love those little short legs, big ears and how they just make themselves at home anywhere.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do it that way, and they can pick you..
Yes there are a lot of "false" Corso that some backyard breeder mixed with pitbull, terrier, mastiff, to appear to be a Corso but are not.

You will pay for quality. Temperament is the #1 trait I would look for in a "Cane". Most want or think that they will get aggressive that's not what the breed was meant for, but they have no issue with protecting it's master and property.
I was once personal friends with Dr. Carl Semencic, the author of many authoritative books on dogs and dog breed history. When, about twenty years ago, I told him I was considering a Cane Corso, he informed me that the actual breed doesn't any longer exist. All that's left is a recreation of the original breed.

That's not to say they're not great dogs.
Can't speak for anybody else, but I would choose :
1. Black lab
2. Yellow lab
3. Golden retriever
4. Chocolate lab
Originally Posted by northcountry
I ended up with a red Doberman when our son went away to school.+
Had never thought much of them in the past, but that non neutered bitch sure changed my mind. She knew what I was thinking be for I did, never left the yard with out an ok, would run male dogs off the property even while in heat,never left my vicinity, was not friendly unless I told her it was ok.Just a super dog. Still tear up a bit when I think of her. Just my take on one Doberman. Cheers NC
I had a male Red Doberman, myself. He was perhaps the best dog I ever had. Similar to your description. He actually knew the property line, and would walk to the edge, but not step off unless with me. He also took his cues from me on who was a friend and who was not. If I welcomed someone, his conduct towards them was indistinguishable from that common for a Yellow Lab. He died of heart failure at age twelve.

[Linked Image]

He was eight or nine, I believe, in that picture.

No, I'm not an immortal. That picture was intentionally antiqued. grin
Originally Posted by RufusG

Do it that way, and they can pick you..

Depends on who picks the dog. My wife is 50/50, the German Shepherd Rottweiler mix was outstanding, the Samoyed was a high strung beotch in every sense of the word and one of the worst dogs I've ever had. The chessy that truly picked me, best dog I've ever had.
They are cute.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cool little dogs. A neighbor of mine back in the late 1980s had a brace of them.

Playful, energetic without being manic, and loyal. They form a strong bond to their owners. As independent as they can be, they get their feelings hurt if they are reprimanded. They will pout and sulk until all parties make up.

At around 50 lbs, they are small enough to pick up, yet are ceratinly not 'kick me" dogs (unless you want to lose a foot)
Originally Posted by ltppowell
They are cute.

[Linked Image]
grin
All I want yet is a Weimaraner.
Valley Bulldog
Cane Corso

Would sure would be a deterrent to thugs that wanted to break into your house... wink

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mack5511
Valley Bulldog
I've been on the verge of getting one of the various modern efforts at recreating the Victorian Era English Bull-Dog for about thirty years. The Valley Bulldog is likely one of the most authentic looking of them.

[Linked Image]
Be a deterrent to non-thugs too. SOB that is a mean looking critter.
I don't live in a gated community, yet have never, in my 52 years, been the victim of a house break-in/burglary. Can't be a coincidence.

I'd rather live in a decent community than rely on dogs and guns. We don't live in a gated community and crime is almost non existent. Not recommended, but my wife has left here purse and keys in her unlocked car over night in the driveway, and everything was there in the morning.
Cane Corso

Would sure would be a deterrent to thugs that wanted to break into your house... wink

[Linked Image]
That's the idea. Looks like a black Jaguar.
Cane Corso

[Linked Image]

Looks like something you'd see guarding the gates of hell.
If I were interested in a German Shorthaired Pointer, I'd find a Deutsch Kurtzhaar breeder. The Kurtzhaars are bred to the original German standard.

Along the lines of the Cane Corso being recreated,...
The true Blue Heeler is actually an extinct breed. What people refer to as "Heelers" today are actually Australian Cattle Dogs.
Originally Posted by Duckdog
Along the lines of the Cane Corso being recreated,...
The true Blue Heeler is actually an extinct breed. What people refer to as "Heelers" today are actually Australian Cattle Dogs.
Even the English Mastiff is recreated. The true English Mastiff went extinct during WWII. There was literally not a single one left alive after the war. They recreated it largely from Great Dane and Bull Mastiff stock.
Beagle, without hesitation. Our current one is an Old English Pocket Beagle, 12 pounds and 10" of pure energy. A real lover for sure!
Why is that?
Why is that?
After the war, folks wanted English Mastiffs, so there was a market for recreating them.
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

You remember this fellow? A before, then after his summer buzz cut. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How could I even forget Tobey?
Just a companion?

Schnauzers are awesome. Standard or mini.

Heeler would be way up my list as well. Airedales are great. Both are high energy animals usually.

Honestly, unless I was looking for a specific working dog, I'd hit the pound.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Cane Corso

[Linked Image]

Looks like something you'd see guarding the gates of hell.

Or cartel member or druggie's house.
Either another Shiba Inu mix or Kia Ken. Best dogs I've had. Friendly and are as active or lazy as you want to be.
My neighbor has a Wheaten Terrier.

Great dog! Does not shed, smart as a whip and very loyal and loving.
Beyond being a companion/pet, my main secondary purpose for a dog is property and personal protection, so intimidation factor is a major part of my preference. I don't live in a gated community, yet have never, in my 52 years, been the victim of a house break-in/burglary. Can't be a coincidence.

One factor in my selection is the type of dog that burglars and muggers say in surveys that they most respect and would be least likely to test.

I can say the same, but pointers have also helped put a lot of wild game on the table, plus bobcats and coyotes on the ground.
Black Lab
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever----- Smart ,loyal rugged
Then Border Collie
Either a Sheltie - Border Collie mix, or just a Border.
Smart beyond belief, friendly to all who deserve it, protective - but non-aggressive until required.
I replaced my last BC with another - which was stolen within 2 months. "The Warden" hasn't been ready for another since.
Two heartbreaks in 2 months were a bit much.

Mark
Always be a lab or 2 for me.
No one has mentioned mine! Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Abby
[Linked Image]

And Andy
[Linked Image]
No question for me....Border Collie. My current BC is now 10 and I hope he lives for a long time. Smartest dog I have ever owned and I have owned several breeds over the past 65 years. He was easy to train, has good manners, is very loyal and goes with me everywhere. He hunts pheasant, herds cattle, loves the Frisbee, reads my mind, don�t raise your voice around my wife or he'll get really irritated and definitely don't lay a hand on her!
Originally Posted by winchesterfan
No one has mentioned mine! Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
Abby
[Linked Image]

And Andy
[Linked Image]
Cute. An old friend of mine had one.
lab.....still [Linked Image]
Golden Retriever
I used to take my yellow lab backpacking with me..... I woke up one AM to find her (miles from the nearest trail head) with what appeared to be a brand new tennis ball between her front legs..... Her nose maybe 10" away from mine waiting for me to wake up.... The expression on the black Labs face with it's paw over his buddies nose reminded me of it....grin

John, no fair posting puppy pictures.... cool
Did I mention a Dane

[Linked Image]

I miss you bunny

Snake
Speaking of "Heelers"...
It's one breed that I've never owned, but there was a guy who lived up around the corner from the house I grew up in, that had an incredible Heeler.

That guy rode his motorcycle everywhere he went, and that Heeler rode with him on the back seat! No box, or straps or anything! He just stood there and balanced!
Obviously, not the smartest thing in the world to do, but it was pretty amazing to see as a kid!
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'd like to try another airedale. I had a pup for a while that I thought the world of, but "lost" her when I broke up with a long time girlfriend.

We currently have a first generation labradoodle and I really like the temperament and personality of this dog. So much so that we're meeting some folks tomorrow who have to give up their 6 year old male labradoodle because of a move they're making and we've offered to give their dog a good home, providing our dog and the male up for adoption get along well.

I was going to suggest a labradoodle or a golden doodle; bigger, intelligent dogs that I hear make very good pets. And, they don't shed but can still hit the field if you're so inclined.
Jack Russell, smart dog
Scottish Terrier. Period.
[Linked Image]
We don't live in a gated community and crime is almost non existent. Not recommended, but my wife has left here purse and keys in her unlocked car over night in the driveway, and everything was there in the morning.

I live in a high crime area but oddly enough, the car are left unlocked night after night and numerous times we've left valuables in the car.

Helps if everybody on the treet knows you I guess.

But anyways.....

My own best dog.... blue (or red) heeler).

AN even better dog.... a heeler/sheepdog mutt, border or aussie no matter.... takes the best qualities of both breeds and moderates the faults.

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by mark shubert
Either a Sheltie - Border Collie mix, or just a Border.
Smart beyond belief, friendly to all who deserve it, protective - but non-aggressive until required. ...

Ditto. Can love most any dog, but the sheltie I had growing up and the border/aussie mix have now are treasures. A cross of any of those would be attractive again.

That shepard-ing intellect is endearing.
Hard to beat a lab, can't beat two of them from the same litter.

[Linked Image]

I would maybe get a pointing griffon. My buddy uses his for all sorts of critters. Maybe a fox/rat terrier.
[Linked Image]

Think I'd get me another one of these..but would probably get a purebred..since a mix like Jake would be hard to come by.
Great Pyrenees..that's if I'm still in cold weather area.
A yellow lab.
Unconditional love, awesome companion, smart, laid back, good watch dog, big enough not to trip over, smart enough to move outta da way when told.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love you dad.
[Linked Image]
Lab

The End
Love a Red Heeler
I had a grumpy Old Red Heeler that bit George Strait's wife.
He told her she should of known better!
Well a yellow lab would suit me just fine.
Lot's of folks have mentioned heelers. We've got a 1/2 Aussie, 1/2 heeler mix that is an awesome dog. Perfect mix of intelligence, loyalty, will to please, and grit.

We have a 100% Aussie Shepherd that is a good dog, smart, loyal, but lacks grit.

We've had a Black-mouth Cur pup for about 3 months now and I'm really impressed with her so far. Very laid back for a puppy and has a strong desire to please. Think she's going to turn out to be a great dog.

All of these are working farm dogs so I have no idea how they'd do inside.
Great Pyrenees in the north and lab in the south. Do not know where I will end up. Got land in the south but damn it is hot in the south. Guess I am not old enough to like the heat.
Hate to be a grump, but with as much life and love as they add to a home, I think we will go without when the present one (Norwich Terrier) goes to the big bone yard in the sky. She's getting up there, and her needs border on those of caring for a child.

We're getting old too, want to travel, and dogs are a pain in the ass when dealing with motels, parks, or even when one just leaves them at home.

Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
We have 2 now that are getting up in age. I'd get another in a heartbeat.
half akita half husky. smartest dog I ever saw. [Linked Image]sense of humor unlike any animal I ever saw. dedication up the wazoo. fearless to a fault. and my best buddy until the end. man I still miss him so much it makes me cry. if I could clone him I'd do it in a flash. only dog I ever had that made me pray for dogs to go to heaven.
We have had Great Danes for years and years. I couldnt imagine being without one.

Ernie
Hard to pick just one, but I'll say German shorthaired pointer.
Boykin Spaniel, sweet like a golden retriever but smallish like a large beagles, loyal and friendly. My next dog.
Always had Labs growing up and love the breed, but my sister raises ESS and she gave me one. I've grown quite enamored of ole Giblets (despite his dripping water all over my Beretta!) crazy Smaller and doesn't eat as much as a Lab. High energy, tho. Great for hunting-probably not so great if I was up in years looking for a potential 'final friend'.

I'd probably get a Lab or a pound hound...

[Linked Image]
just the two of you, A CHESAPEAKE BAY RETRIEVER. Loyal, brave.and trustworthy. just my $.02
Lab
Lab
Rottweiler.

Gunner
I've been blessed with several great dogs. The smartest was an Australian Shepherd/Coyote mix. Also the most determined to escape confinement. Extremely protective of wife and kids. I've had several GSPs that were fantastic hunting dogs, but hell on cats, possums and raccoons. I also had a German-bred dachshund. Her father was a (SP?) Gebrauchsieger who was smuggled out of Germany. He'd killed over 100 foxes and over 80 badgers. Her mom was a first generation out of Germany. That little dog was smaller and leaner than American doxies, tucked up belly and legs that were a touch longer but still short enough to go to ground. She'd flush pheasants and retrieve them. Looked like a porpoise going through tall grass. She had no clue of her size, though, and picked a fight with a Drathaar that killed her. Tore me up, but it was her nature. Great with kids and family, though aggressive in the field.
German Shepherd, definitely.
Some years ago I had an Akita, I still miss that dog, smart, loyal, fearless!
These days I'd probably get a pound hound that chose me and be as happy as ever.
I keep my daughter's Staffordshire Terrior about half the time. She is a rescued dog and the best natured dog I've ever had. Can't find a shed hair. She just can't hold her licker.
over the years we've had GSP's, labs, chesapeakes, mutts, boston terriers, mini dachsunds and our dog currently at the trainers is a Boykin.

i could see myself with Boykins from here on out. Great personality, small enough to not be a problem. enough hunt in them for just about anything and great people dogs.

Originally Posted by gunner500
Rottweiler.

Gunner
Aren't they evil? grin
Originally Posted by poboy
I keep my daughter's Staffordshire Terrior about half the time. She is a rescued dog and the best natured dog I've ever had. Can't find a shed hair. She just can't hold her licker.
grin
Don't get a Sheprador. Saturday mornings they hog the sofa and newspaper.

[Linked Image]

Seriously though, go to the local dog pound. One will choose you. That dog with the newspaper was going to be destroyed the day after we showed up. He is a family member now.

[Linked Image]
Traveling isn't a problem with a well disciplined dog.
On my road trip, the motels only charged my an extra 10 bucks for Trap to stay in the room.
Adapt, and your best friend can go just about anywhere with you.
Get it service dog certified.
Easy peasy.
[Linked Image]
Australian Shepard hands down!
Originally Posted by Plinker
Seriously though, go to the local dog pound. One will choose you. That dog with the newspaper was going to be destroyed the day after we showed up. He is a family member now.
+1
Third vote for the Chesapeake Bay Retreiver.

Had a female Chessie for 16 yrs.......she was a tomboy. People had to visually check to make sure she was a she.
She's with me in a brass urn......when i go,she will accompany me.
My last dog was a St.Bernard over 30 years ago. If I could ever have one more it would be another Irish Wolfhound. I got one from Ireland back in the early 60's and he was one super house dog. He was raised from a puppy up in the house and was so well mannered you can't believe. He was a partner surely enough.
I am a huge fan of almost all the breeds, even the bully breeds. That being said, the clear choice for me is the Boykin Spaniel. I swear, no breed bonds with their owner like a Boykin will. Losing one will just about kill you. I have loved all my dogs, but none bonded with me quite like my Boykin did.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Rottweiler.

Gunner
Aren't they evil? grin

Only if you're trying to hid a cookie in your pocket. smile

Gunner

Chessie, they do it all, do it well, they look great doing it, and are as loyal as you d ever want

Ladner Blackmouth Cur best all around dog I ever owned, super smart and wonderful family dog. However, he was a cat killing machine, great squirrel and coon dog. Look at any of the cur breeds. I just lost a plott hound that was a great dog also.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

A concern I have is not wanting to trip over a new dog and break body parts. Any dog we get will live in the house with us. Amber was often "under foot" not such a big deal when my agility and balance were fine..... Might pose a problem now that I have had some health issues.......

Most small dogs like say 15 lbs. or so scamper to get out of your way.
[Linked Image]
They are a blast.
Yellow Lab.

My 2nd choice would be a half border collie half blue healer mix.
The plan was for my assignment in Queensland Oz to be four years, minimum. We were looking to import back to the States a "proper" Queensland Heeler. Alas, projects change hence jobs and we will not be able to deliver on this. That said, I still want a heeler.
It is truly uplifting to see how passionate we all are about our four footed companions. I grew up in a house where dogs were expected to work for a living, and in our house everyone worked. The dogs were to guard the house, alert us to intruders, be good neighbors, and most of all, hunt rabbits and pheasants. Dad was a beagle man. We had some great dogs over the years, and many memorable hunts. I've had other breeds over the years, and they all have their good and bad points. If I lived by my self, I think I'd get a Chesapeake Bay retriever. I've hunted over two of them in the past, and they are one tough dog. Very much a one person dog though. My wife does preschool out of the house, so we have to have a dog that's good around small kids. Our current dog, Pixie the Wonderbeagle is a lemon beagle mix that's the star of the daycare. The kids just love her, she visits with them several times a day, and even naps with them in the afternoon. Not a hunter by any means, but just a good and steady companion dog. When she goes, I think we'll either do another lab, probably a yellow,or maybe a Brittany. There's a slew of grouse to chase in Minnesota, and I'm thinking I'd like to finish my bird hunting with a little lightweight English stocked double barrel and maybe a Brittany.
Chow Chow
Porcelain.
Lab. Any color.
I've posted this pic before. This is our 8 year old female Labradoodle, Remmie.

[Linked Image]

This evening we're going to meet this guy. He's a 6 year old Labradoodle.

[Linked Image]

His family is moving and he needs a home, so we volunteered. If Remmie and Ike hit it off we'll be a 2 dog family. We're not sure where an extra dog is going to sleep or where he's going to ride when we travel, but we think enough of this breed to open up our home to him. All the small details will fall into place. smile
Shelter
German Wirehaired Pointer
2nd Parson Russell Terrier
3rd Rottweiler
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I'd have to second the Dachshund. I never liked them when I was younger, and would have said you were crazy if you'd have even suggested I'd ever own one. Then I had an ex-girlfriend give me one, and I've done a complete 180. He is my favorite dog ever (and I've had a few :), and I wouldn't trade him for any amount of money. I think that dog loves me more than anyone else in the whole world..... [Linked Image]

HH that is a sweet little dog
No question, a Drent. Smart, great family dogs, tireless bird hunters, watchful, and stubborn enough to be interesting.

[Linked Image]

Or a Great Dane.....
Dutch, what is that breed? Never heard of it. Beautiful!
Hmmmm, let me think. I will go with a German Shepherd. (I know....big surprise)
It would be a Toller for me.

Though we have always had toy poodles...and I wouldn't be upset with either.
Maggie my first Toller!
[Linked Image]

Abigail my current little girl!
[Linked Image]

Abigail with my parents toy poodle Bo...sadly he passed away in my arms a couple of months ago.
[Linked Image]

Already have a young dog, Dexter, and he's a mini pins. Love him to death. if I was down to "one last dog", it would be a feist or a mutt that I could take squirrel hunting with me, in the fall. Want to take ole Dex, but mama worries that something will happen to him.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ole Dexter [aka butthead] grin

maddog
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
We don't live in a gated community and crime is almost non existent. Not recommended, but my wife has left here purse and keys in her unlocked car over night in the driveway, and everything was there in the morning.

I live in a high crime area but oddly enough, the car are left unlocked night after night and numerous times we've left valuables in the car.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
I was once personal friends with Dr. Carl Semencic, the author of many authoritative books on dogs and dog breed history.

The author of "Gladiator Dogs?" http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Dogs-Carl-Semencic/dp/0615850243

What happened? Did you have a falling out?

Is it true he's not really a doctor, but has a PhD in sociology?
I'm at the age that by time my 5 YO yellow lab passes on, the next dog may very well be my last. Two yellow labs, three black labs and a couple other good dogs have blessed my life so far. The two yellow labs have been the best. One more yellow lab, a smallish lab will be the last. My first yellow lab girl weighed 60 pounds even in her prime while the current one is taller and runs right at 65 pounds of lean craziness. I visited a breeder years ago that had a line of labs that ran a bit under 50 pounds for females which seems about right these days.
Of the dogs I've owned the two I miss the most were a male Beauceron and a male Aussie shepard. I currently have a Russel and will be looking for a blue heeler in a couple of years.
German Shepherd
JRTs are worth two good laughs and one good scream everyday.

[Linked Image]

And they love riding in backpacks! (He's really old and gets worn out after a few miles)
[Linked Image]

That's a handsome little fellow. I'll bet he was a handful in his prime.
Never get a Dane in a back pack

really

Never

Snake
I've had at least one Labrador or Lab mix for hunting for the last 41 years. If the one right now (a 3-year-old female chocolate) lasts as long as the others, I'll be at least 70 by the time she retires. If I get another hunting dog it will probably be another Lab, but if not will have a Shih-Tzu, believe it or not. We lost our first one last fall and couldn't stand not having one around, so picked up one from a shelter within a month. He's as big a blast as any small dog I've ever been around, and the Lab is even teaching him to retrieve!
Originally Posted by prm
JRTs are worth two good laughs and one good scream everyday.

Yes they are... grin

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
crowrifle, they are Drents Partridge dogs, a Dutch versatile bird dog breed. See my website in my signature line for details.

Puppies are wearing us out though. Had a cancellation of a buyer, so now we have a little male that still needs a home.
I have a Rat Terrier that thinks he's the baddest thing on four legs.

Every time a Bear hunting epsiode comes on the Outdoor channel, he charges the TV as if he's going to kick that bears butt! LOL Loves standing guard duty and watches out the windows/doors for any other critters or people that don't belong on our property!

Chance the wonder terrier!

[Linked Image]

We almost had a long coat Dachshund the other night, a deputy found it wandering on the I-State and took it to my daughter. Fortunately they found the owner a bit later looking for it at the rest stop. It was a sweet little thing about half grown.
I'll stick with my pure bred Potlickers. I dunno what Spot is but I love him and as I write this he is guarding the BBQ pit from the approach of intruders and pesky felines!

[Linked Image]
frogman, my 10lb JRT is the same way. A friend has a RT that caught a skunk under his chicken shed. He said the battle went on for quite awhile before the dog(Abby) dragged the skunk out from under the shed.
It would have to be a Border Collie X Aussie

I miss mine more than mortal man should miss anything�..

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

And rightly so. What a handsome pup!
Thanks Bob. I have had and currently do have a couple very good dogs, but Ingwedog was that one dog of a lifetime�.and I was fortunate enough to realize that throughout her whole life.

We had shining times.
any breed that hates and will chase off squirrels. I just want ONE peach and ONE apple!!!!!

My sister bought a labradoodle last year and I'm here to tell you that's one smart dog!!
Thanks Bob. I have had and currently do have a couple very good dogs, but Ingwedog was that one dog of a lifetime�.and I was fortunate enough to realize that throughout her whole life.

That's the way I feel about Bubba, my soon to be 10 year old Corgi. How long did she live?
Golden Retriever-great dispositions and so willing to please!!!
I'll stick with my Llewellins. wink

My late Ms. Scarlet, the greatest dog I ever had or hunted behind, for 11 years the reason I drew a breath and my heart beat.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old Cookie...
[Linked Image]

Rocky...100 pounds of nose and love
[Linked Image]

Jenny, still learning but an enthusiastic hunter!
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/052_zps4ea1d03e.jpg[/img]
I love dogs and always have but I doubt we'll ever own another one. My wife and I are getting older and accepting the realities of such I honestly don't want to risk leaving a grieving dog behind if we should have to go to a rest home or die. If we were to get another dog most likely it would be a full grown house broke short haired small mixed breed rescue dog or for a pure bred an adult Boston Terrier.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Standard Schnauzer.

[Linked Image]

They're smart and tough little SOBs, for sure! cool
For me it's a springer - not too big or too small, comfortable inside or out, lap dog or hunter, always friendly. Our Maggie's past her best years and we lost Chip a year ago today. Our first pair has been gone nearly 15 years, and I'm sure we'll have more. We just can't see any reason to change now.
Originally Posted by Kitch

That's the way I feel about Bubba, my soon to be 10 year old Corgi. How long did she live?

3 days shy of her 15th birthday.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'll stick with my Llewellins. wink

My late Ms. Scarlet, the greatest dog I ever had or hunted behind, for 11 years the reason I drew a breath and my heart beat.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old Cookie...
[Linked Image]

Rocky...100 pounds of nose and love
[Linked Image]

Jenny, still learning but an enthusiastic hunter!
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/052_zps4ea1d03e.jpg[/img]
Those are some great shots, safari.
I have had Lots!! of great hunting dogs. Best day to day indoor and out which I have ever owned or around - Corgi. She understands better than my kids. Only thing it has the worst nose a dog could have. She sheds
another yellow lab
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joken2
I love dogs and always have but I doubt we'll ever own another one. My wife and I are getting older and accepting the realities of such I honestly don't want to risk leaving a grieving dog behind if we should have to go to a rest home or die. If we were to get another dog most likely it would be a full grown house broke short haired small mixed breed rescue dog or for a pure bred an adult Boston Terrier.
Joken2 , I'm in the same boat as you . I would love to get another dog , but have been in and out of Hospitals so much in the last few years , that I have about given up on the idea . I'm jealous of all you folks who can plan on a next dog . We always had German Shepherds , Rottweilers , Siberians , etc , but my favorites were the German Shepherds . I really appreciate all the Pictures and the stories behind them !
We have one dog now. I want another and my wife says fine, as long as it doesn't bark, shed, eat or schit. I'm still looking.
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

That's a great mix. Have a friend that has had several. His neighbors lab visited the last one and I got one the puppies. She looks all Border Collie Aussie, just with a slightly fat lab body. She's a great dog, too.
Originally Posted by usull
Originally Posted by joken2
Joken2 , I'm in the same boat as you . I would love to get another dog , but have been in and out of Hospitals so much in the last few years , that I have about given up on the idea . I'm jealous of all you folks who can plan on a next dog . We always had German Shepherds , Rottweilers , Siberians , etc , but my favorites were the German Shepherds . I really appreciate all the Pictures and the stories behind them !

Go the Pound and get an older dog that some one else gave up on or could no longer care for.I am too old to get a puppy,not that I would not love to have one.My Dogs are nine and five years old ,so I should out live them.If one dies I will get one from the Pound. smile
^^^^^^

This, and not only older dogs but the funny looking guys that don't stand a chance. I've had 1/2 a dozen of these, and they all were so grateful to have someone. wink
Originally Posted by mudhen
For a companion dog, nothing beats an Australian Shepherd. Talk about unconditional love and devotion!

This will most likely be my next dog. I've had dogs my whole life, mostly all male mutts. 7 years ago we got our first full bred, a female yellow lab. She is off the charts with smarts, loyalty, etc. I have seen a few australian shepherds in action and am very impressed. I want one now but we have 2 labs, which is more than enough for the time being!
Lab. Any color. Might just and another year to your life.
Golden retriever here. Ours have been the most wonderful, loving dogs. Couldnt ask for a better breed.
Brittany. We've had such good luck with the two we've had, both of whom were rescues. The first one was a bird hunting machine and a sweet dog. The one we have now is not the hunter her predecessor was but the sweetest dog with the greatest desire to please I've ever seen.

In all honesty though I could love any good dog, no matter the breed. They just have a way of getting in your heart. At the end of the day mine climbs up on my lap and lies down, half on my leg and half on the arm of the recliner while I read, watch TV or snooze. All the cares of the world just seem to melt away as I stroke that faithful head.

Mart
Rottweiler for me but a Heeler would be a close second.
When my current Chocolate Lab Sasha goes I'll probably get another or maybe a Chessie.

Great companions for wandering the woods, decent bed warmer on a really cold night.

SC
I've had and greatly enjoyed a couple Vizslas in the past. My last one died almost four years ago and my wife and I have been dogless until a couple weeks ago. While I love the Vizslas my job situation is radically different now. I used to be able to take my dog to work with me every day but now I am working in North Dakota 15 days out of 21 and we felt like that a less energetic breed would be better. We got a red pointing lab from Morgan's Pointing Labs in NE WA state. Looking forward to many years with him.
THIS
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
German Shepard.
Hate to think about a last dog. Love my black lab pup and he seems to be an easy trainer. Looking forward to fall hunting. My griff has been a family favorite for 6 years now. Here is a pic of him smiling on a recent hike. Son sent me a screen shot of him and I never cropped it. Lot of good dogs out there, enjoyed this thread.

[Linked Image]
My current dog may be my last dog, who knows. Anyway, for me it's Chessies. For a house dog you can't beat our little Papillion. If I had the space at our current place and the time to work with them I'd love to have a couple Catahoulas or other curs. I will not have any dog I don't have time to work with properly.
This is a long thread and I can't remember if I have posted on it or not but, If I lived where I had lots of room and wanted an outside dog, and especially if I lived where it was cooler than Arkansas, I would get a Great Pyrenees, or maybe a cross with one. I have owned several and they are awesome dogs. Good guard dogs without being dangerous and all that I have ever tried had a knack for trailing crippled deer. Not a house dog for sure and they love cold weather. The only one that I have ever had that tried to bite anyone was when a man that I hunt with came to pick up a deer that he had killed. He brought his 20 old Grandson and the Grandson told his Grandpa to just sit in the truck and I will drag the deer out here, which was about 50 yards. Purl got between him and the deer and growled to let him know to leave it alone. When he kept on, she bit him on the leg. He said hard enough to have brought blood if not for the Carthart overalls. As soon as the Grandfather,that Purl knew, got out of the truck she was OK with them getting the deer. She did not know the Grandson and was not letting him have the deer. She is gone now but I have a half breed out of her and an unknown father that is a great dog too. miles
Cool story bro
Akita, one of the most loyal breeds.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by frogman43
I have a Rat Terrier that thinks he's the baddest thing on four legs.

Every time a Bear hunting epsiode comes on the Outdoor channel, he charges the TV as if he's going to kick that bears butt! LOL Loves standing guard duty and watches out the windows/doors for any other critters or people that don't belong on our property!

Chance the wonder terrier!

[Linked Image]

His brother does the same thing...haha
Lots of smiles and maybe a few tears reading about others dogs and thinking about mine.

I had a German Shepherd that would have taken a bullet for me. He remembered people that he met on a single occasion and years later he would walk up to greet them, but everyone had to be approved by a member of my family before he would let them near the kids or in the house. He was an amazing judge of character and after a couple years I let him make the call on the boys my daughters brought home. Funny thing is that my girls knew and went with the dogs assessment of the boys too. I heard from several people that when I left the room he gave everyone still in the room the message "I'll be taking care of things until Joe returns". We were at a soccer game once and another parent had an off leash Yorkie that kept nipping at his heals, finally Buddha had enough and sat on the little dog to keep it off his heals. The owner squealed louder than the dog but picked it up afterwards.

The last three dogs have been Boxers, two of which were rescues. Too many people love the puppies but dump them when they get bigger. They're incredibly playful and full of life and make me laugh on crappy days.

This has got to be the greatest hunting photo ever...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Mr. Safari but, if I only had time for one more dog I'd steal one of yours. Those are some beautiful Llewellins.
A Golden Retriever. I just had to put Sandy ,our 13 year old, down last Saturday. She still occasionally could run but she came down with mouth cancer and I didn't want to see her suffer. We got her from a rescue when she was 7. She was the happiest dog that I've ever known. She was an old-school golden, with the redder, shorter fur, longer legs and narrow head with a bump in the middle. Not these long haired, blonde things that the AKC calls Goldens.
I just got a yellow lab puppy a week ago. This one could very easily be my last pup, but I'll do all I can to see that she isn't. I was out of town and my wife called me and said she thought that it was time for me to get another dog. We had to put down a little beagle a year and a half ago that was a good early warning system for anything going on outside. My wife had found someone that had a litter of yellow lab pups and was giving them away. We went to take a look at them and I came away with the smallest female they had. I never liked a big lab and this one looks like she was going to meet my size requirement. She isn't just smaller than the rest of the pups, she's little. She was the first one to come up to me, so she kind of picked me out too.
I'm helplessly addicted to beagles. Dumber than a box of rocks, stubborn as they come, but they make great pets. We have one now that's not a hunter. I long for the days of running rabbits with hounds. Man, that was some fun hunting.
yorkie
I have had a lot of dogs over the years- north of 30 dogs. We have been without one of our own for about 4 years now. We are babysitting my daughter's yorkie but as far as I'm concerned they are nothing more than an ornament that you have to feed everyday.

The best hunting dog I ever had was a lab. Died at about 5 years so I never got another one. Best overall dog we ever had was a Rhodesian Ridgeback; flat awesome dogs. We were around quite a few of them and raised two litters. Only downside was shed a little too much for her own good.

Someone mentioned a Jagd terrier. Having owned one and been around them, they are NOT good dogs to have for pets. They need a full time job or you will have trouble.

Had a rat terrier- was a pretty good dog. Loved riding on the saddle but the horses hated it!

Had quite a few heelers over the years. Pretty good overall dogs but not really hunters.

I just put a deposit down on a Blue Lacy. Guess Im driving to Texas next month.

Black mouth cur, good all around dog for the homestead,, and I don't bird hunt
Brittany will be my next one.
Thanks, Mike and TRH smile

These goofy Llewellins are birdy guys who will love you 110%.

(Only 109 1/2% if you miss two birds in a row, however wink )
Good enough for Vikings and they work for me:

[Linked Image]
We have a GSP bitch, she's nice but I do miss our Border Collie. Smart as.

Cheers, Chris
Originally Posted by klondike_mike

This has got to be the greatest hunting photo ever...

[Linked Image]

Sorry Mr. Safari but, if I only had time for one more dog I'd steal one of yours. Those are some beautiful Llewellins.

I agree, awesome photo!
English setter, love 'em.
Good post,
For me, it'll be a black lab. I had a yellow, Kelsey, that was my best pal. I think she was my once in a lifetime dog. She was just so GD cool. I had to put her down at 13. It broke my heart. My son and his GF had a Chocolate lab, and when they broke up, we inherited Reilly. Reilly got cancer, and he was put down at 7. I want to round out the lab breed and get a black. Love that strain. Intelligent obedidient, and loyal.
Here is Sparkey in his prime figuring out how to get a ground squirrel out of a crack. It took him three hours before he got it. He's a tall thin Jack Russell and can run circles round the stubby Jacks. He's 13 now and a little deaf but a great companion.

[Linked Image]
I have had so many over the years, A Doberman for sure DD (Dober Dog, Dam Dog etc) was loyal to a fault knew the yard, knew exactly how far a squirrel could get from a tree. Golden Retriever loving to the end and still a puppy at 12+. Current dog is about the best one I've had, a BRT Black Russian Terrier not what you think, look one up on the web. Obedient loyal and I would not want to be the one who breaks into the house. Funny thing about them is they have little prey drive, they do not chase things, they wait until it crosses the line. If it moves off then no issue, The warning barks get louder and deeper as something approaches. At 90+ pounds my runt Layla is still rather impressive.
I don't even know for sure what my best dog WAS!!! Part Shepherd, some Rottweiler...who knows? Best darn dog I ever saw. Couldn't hunt at all. Retrieve? Nope. Just a great soul.[Linked Image]
Always wanted a JRT or a Feist
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Here is Sparkey in his prime figuring out how to get a ground squirrel out of a crack. It took him three hours before he got it. He's a tall thin Jack Russell and can run circles round the stubby Jacks. He's 13 now and a little deaf but a great companion.

[Linked Image]

Where do you get a JRT like that??
Not recommended, but my wife has left here purse and keys in her unlocked car over night in the driveway, and everything was there in the morning.

We do that all the time and I live in a higher crime, lower income area. But this is South Texas.

Anyways for dogs, I'm sold on heelers, but I like heeler/sheepdog mutts even better. That's one in my avatar, a great dog. Here's another one, a heeler/Australian shepherd mutt my sister owns. Damn near a perfect dog cool

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by BeanMan

[Linked Image]

He looks like part rat terrier, as well as Jackie. GREAT PHOTO!

Probably the smartest dog I ever encountered was over in the central CA eastern side Coast Range. I was pig hunting and met up with Jake, 1/2 & 1/2 Jackie/Rat. The dog seemingly understood several languages. I still bet he could write his name and count.
© 24hourcampfire