-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been doing internet gun forums since before the www had a gun forum. In the old days, lots of Lead talk with gun nut doctors speaking up about how many ppm Lead in your blood meant what.

If you had a tiny amount of Lead in your blood [20 years ago before they vented shooting ranges with fans] that meant you worked at an indoor shooting range.

If you have a huge amount of Lead in your blood, it meant that you had been around the sanding of Lead paint.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by msquared
They're fun to shoot because they are so quiet. You almost don't need hearing protection. They were pretty accurate for me, although they do hit low. I've thought about getting a cheap used rifle with open sights and sighting it in with the shells, just to keep by the back door for pests.

With a 24 inch or longer barrel you wouldn't need hearing protection. I too have been toying with the idea of a dedicated gun for them, Even though I've got a couple of rimfire suppressors!

Haven't been able to find any of the segmented 'Quiets" but am quite interested in how they perform, was kind of disappointed that they go for quite a premium over the non-segmented... but then all of CCI's segmented rim fires do; 'Quick Shok' and 'Segmented Subsonics' (I think they are called).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
just returned from the yard. sighted in my ruger 96/22 with the cci quiet 22 longs.

shot very accurate. the remington 511 did not like them at all.

oh well. the ruger wins the spot by the door. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clark, I'm liking that 572. Sort of a caretaker of one after my brother passed and handed it off to his son a few years back. It shot the CBs very well and had quite a bloody history by then. As I recall it held about a half box of ammo, which was very convenient.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"just returned from the yard. sighted in my ruger 96/22 with the cci quiet 22 longs.
shot very accurate. the remington 511 did not like them at all."

Typical of 22 rimfire... I took out three revolvers; single-six, K22 & a 4" S&W Kit Gun (model 63)... only the Kit Gun shot them well, the others did not.

Jerry

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Digital Dan,
The 572 has been my go to gun for the back yard for a year.

But this month it started misfiring CCI CB shorts while shooting straight up at crows in the tops of tall trees. So I scoped up a 1955 Winchester 61 and sighted it in with CCI CB shorts. Right on for 25 yards, and QL is guessing 3" low at 40 yards and 6" low at 50 yards.

I have another 572 here as well, and I need to take the barrels off both of them and clean them out.

I have bought 19 22s in the last year. Beware of the man with one gun, but not me. I just keep buying projects.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm looking for some quiet segmented .22's. I'm sure they're out there somewheres. i like the aguilar super colibri, but i can't find any.

the model 572 Remington pump gun i got in 1962 has served well. i used Remington gold (copper) plated hollow-points in high school to deal with the gray squirrels. it's had two broken firing pins, but all is good now.

there's so mnay product offerings in .22, and i can find so few.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I just pulled apart a CCI 22 short HP and it has 0.95 gr powder. That means it needs a double length barrel to make it quiet.

[Linked Image]
I have tested that 0.95 gr powder ammo with this rifle and it is quiet.

But to get a normal length 22 rifle, with 24 inch barrel to be quiet, we need the ~ 0.5 gr powder charge of things like CCI CB Shorts.

Of course we will get more power with the short version with it's larger expansion ratio [compared to the long version], but less accuracy with a longer jump to the lands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 572 about 15 years ago that i bought new. I loved the little guns looks and the idea of its shoot anything versatility but it was the most inaccurate gun I ever owned. I think I got a lemon. Wish I still had it, I would send it to a smith. It was probably something simple.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot CCI 'Quiet's' (not the segmented ones) from my CZ Trainer (24 inch barrel) at the 50 yard range yesterday. Hit 7 or so inches low (from CCI standard velocity sight in). Groups were approx. one inch! now this may not sound great particularly out of rifle that will shoot about 1/2 inch and less (depending on the ammo of course), but for the low velocity stuff it is spectacular at that range... I have shot aguila and CCI Target shorts (from long rifle chambered guns), Win CB Match (Not!), CB longs and Rem. CBee's (nice HP), And none of them would do anywhere near this good at 35 yards. So I sighted my CZ in for them.

Jerry

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a box of old CCI CB shorts that get terrible groups and 10 boxes of new CCI CB shorts that can shoot 1" groups at 75 feet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
50 yards, bag rest with a Weaver K2.5, the Contender will shoot 5 shot 1/2" groups with CB shorts or HVHP ammo from CCI. Shoots patterns with Remington or Winchester shorts of any variety. The 572 I had was quite fond of Win CB shorts but not the CCI ammo.

Chamber cuts make a difference.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.