Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
J.P. Jr is me. Glad it arrived safe and sound. I get nervous trusting the bank to cut a check. They like deposits not withdrawals. Plus I always worry the envelope will look like junk mail and get tossed out. But no postage and set it and forget it is nice.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...but there's one more tonight cool

Marcos is one of them kids that by rights should have crashed and burned a long time ago. Since he was five, back when she had custody, his mom would leave him alone for days at a time in charge of the younger kids in the house. Since then he bounced around through a series of foster homes and relatives' houses. Over the last couple of years I would sometimes drive him home from school to his aunt's, where he sort of lived, sometimes sleeping out in the yard when he was locked out. Since Middle School he has supported himself by buying candy and reselling to the other kids at school at a profit, and clothes of course were an odd assortment. When he was seventeen he was finally declared legally homeless.

What he did right all this time was have perfect attendance at school and know enough to accept the help of adults who would care about his welfare. An honors student, he is also active in a local church and has stuck with the Boy Scouts all this time. He's been staying at our house for a few months now, graduates next month.

....and he's an Eagle Scout cool

Guts and grit trump genius.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm easy to identify because I'm covered in dog hair smile

Ya well, my secret to being popular with dogs is my breath reminds them of their mom wink

Thirty-two pledges cool

Fifteen donations in as of yesterday's mail, and I'll post a new total soon as the next ones arrive (If I post a current total now the last two donors will each know how much the other gave. That would be bad form, on my part).

Thank you very much all.

Mike

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
C
WOW! O WOW! This Is a story Worth Reading! IS there anyway we can get to know more about this young man?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This Is a story Worth Reading! IS there anyway we can get to know more about this young man?

Champ,

I'll certainly post a pic at some point, I was thinking when all was done. I expect Marcos himself will log in here to thank everyone. Just now he's a tad overwhelmed by this generous response from a bunch of people he has never met.

Mike

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sixteen donations in.

$960 collected so far.

Thank you.

Mike

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another headed your way, Birdy. Soon as I can get to the mailbox!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Birdwatcher,

Thanks for posting.

What does this young man want to do in the future? Does he want to go to college? The military? Learn a trade?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What does this young man want to do in the future? Does he want to go to college? The military? Learn a trade?

Marcos will be on here by and by but in the meantime he has expressed to me an interest in computers and a degree therein.

Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J.P. from Minnesota, the cash arrived safely, thank you cool

In the meantime twenty-two donations in for a total of $1,205 collected cool

Thank you all.

IC B3

C
C
Wow thats a great amount so far! Did my own research.... instructional driving classes will run $400
And a computer that this Eagle scout needs will run from $600-$900pc
Plus im sure... if he is gojng to be doing programming of all thos things you mentioned AESshigirl.. thenhe is going to definately need.... well to start him off..
1 4tb extrenal hard drive and also
1 1tb external hard drive
I looked around on deal ill post the website later
The 4tb is $250
And the 1tb is about $60-$100 or even or less if you do rebates.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for looking into it, I'll be gathering suggestions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you had be up for the Paypal thing..... You would have way more donations in hand by now...... Just saying..... grin Seriously, I don't even know how much a stamp costs these day.... Dug around and came up with a Forever stamp from years ago.... I almost never write a check anymore......

Computers have been determental to the limited handwriting skills I had as well....times sure do seem to change faster with every passing year..... Life has become, "Like a VCR stuck on fast foward....".

Great news about $ that has arrived..... Bet several folks are still looking in the back of desk drawers for a stamp cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
C
Originally Posted by AESshiGirl
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm wondering, since he's into web design, why not get him a mac book? Birdwatcher, thank you and your wife for the willingness to give to others.

pm inbound.

I've seen him work. I know his work. And i know he's a PC haha.. If anything He's an android Not an apple too. But I alrdy know he wouldn't even know hwat to do with a apple, he's told me storys ho him using apple products before, he used to use macs for develpoing videos and movies he would make at school, he was President of film club at his high school for 3 years, he said it was annoying but fun! But he would only ever go back to a mac for developing movies and music, he developes his own music and videos. or at least used too. music for 4 years videos for 3, stopped doing both at the same time last year. He has tried using a mac to develope his web sights but he doesn't like it, "way more difficult than needed" to do something simple, so he likes PC for developing his web sights and games.

All in all he developes web sights, video games(for computers, both pc and mac), music and videos.

Thats what he likes to do and can do as far as the digital relm goes...

forgot to quote you... thanks for the insight of what he likes to do and wants to do later..

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Again,
thanks Birdwatcher and anyone else who has gone above and beyond to help others.

FJB & FJT
C
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Thanks for looking into it, I'll be gathering suggestions.

No problem I'm a little bit of a online shopping fanatic... Well more window shopper but online.. My hobby is I love to search up prices and compare whats best to buy.. So this is something fun for me to do.. I understand computers and on what he would need too.. so feel free to post and ask if you have questions on that stuff to get him that he made need if he does know or you want to get him without him knowing.

C
C
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
If you had be up for the Paypal thing..... You would have way more donations in hand by now...... Just saying..... grin Seriously, I don't even know how much a stamp costs these day.... Dug around and came up with a Forever stamp from years ago.... I almost never write a check anymore......

Computers have been determental to the limited handwriting skills I had as well....times sure do seem to change faster with every passing year..... Life has become, "Like a VCR stuck on fast foward....".

Great news about $ that has arrived..... Bet several folks are still looking in the back of desk drawers for a stamp cool

ehhh ya that might be true... but I don't think birdy has a paypal.. plus i think the anticipation of waiting for letter to arrive is better for mystery and suspense..

And anyone can transfer money instantly through Paypal. The people who take the time to make a check and write a letter to stamp and send are the true people, who are willing to help and have a true heart of goodness.

But then again ya maybe would get more if used Paypal. I don't know its just my upfront opinion.

who knows maybe birdy does have a Paypal we could use.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Twenty-six donations in. One thousand four hundred and forty dollars collected cool

Well, we certainly can cover a laptop and driving school I would think.

Given the funds on hand, the next item on the agenda is a mountain bike grin Marcos has never had one, has hardly had bikes at all, always wanted one.

The official motive is to help him get in shape for the military, which is where conversations are headed at this point. The services have ever been a pathway for young men of little means to get a jump-start on life.

With smart shopping we could get him a workable bike that wont break easily with what we have in hand already, tho' it won't be fancy or top-drawer. Doesn't need to be either, as its gonna get taken to scout camp for a couple of months and then be used as basic transportation.

When I mentioned how we could prob'ly swing a bike too and how we should go shopping this weekend the impression I got from Marcos was that all of this was finally becoming like his best Christmas ever grin

Money well sent guys, thank you.

Mike

\

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any update on Marcos and what you were able to get the lad?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Any update on Marcos and what you were able to get the lad?

Marcos graduated Tuesday night, and now the post-graduation "rest of your life" kicks in grin

I expect Marcos will be on here directly ("MarcosEagleScout" or some such is apparently waiting for admin approval), but we got the high zoot laptop and a mountain bike, driving school pending.

Anyhow......

Mr. G from NH your money order arrived earlier this week, thank you cool

Mike

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 44 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.