Home
...but there's one more tonight cool

Marcos is one of them kids that by rights should have crashed and burned a long time ago. Since he was five, back when she had custody, his mom would leave him alone for days at a time in charge of the younger kids in the house. Since then he bounced around through a series of foster homes and relatives' houses. Over the last couple of years I would sometimes drive him home from school to his aunt's, where he sort of lived, sometimes sleeping out in the yard when he was locked out. Since Middle School he has supported himself by buying candy and reselling to the other kids at school at a profit, and clothes of course were an odd assortment. When he was seventeen he was finally declared legally homeless.

What he did right all this time was have perfect attendance at school and know enough to accept the help of adults who would care about his welfare. An honors student, he is also active in a local church and has stuck with the Boy Scouts all this time. He's been staying at our house for a few months now, graduates next month.

....and he's an Eagle Scout cool

Birdwatcher

Good job, brother.

You saved one.
Honestly, this had to have been a team effort.
Good on him and good on you too. miles
What a great read to start my day. You are a blessed man birdwatcher.
Great to hear. Congratulations to Marcos!
Good job Birdy.
Good job, and you've got every right to be proud. A lot of kids have ended up on our door step. Our daughter has a huge heart, and never tended to hang with the pretty people, or the "in" crowd. Our spare bedroom has never stayed spare for long. Most of these kids turned out to be good, solid folks. 'Took some longer than others, but you've got to fall, in order to get up. Here's to all the folks out there that have taken the time to help others in this way.
Salutations Mike and Mrs. Birdwatcher!! Ya done good. Congrats to the young man!
Originally Posted by WillARights

Good job, brother.

You saved one.
+1 Kudos.
A lot of kids have ended up on our door step. Our daughter has a huge heart, and never tended to hang with the pretty people, or the "in" crowd. Our spare bedroom has never stayed spare for long. Most of these kids turned out to be good, solid folks. 'Took some longer than others, but you've got to fall, in order to get up. Here's to all the folks out there that have taken the time to help others in this way.

A shame this sort of thing has gotten so complicated, if this was back in the Frontier days we would have given this young man a good horse, a good knife, a possibles bag and a rifle and told him he was welcome to come and go as he wished.

But I'll say it again, a lot of good people, some of whom I ain't met, helped and guided this young man along the way. We just showed up in the second half of the fourth quarter is all.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by milespatton

Yes!

Originally Posted by Okanagan

Yes!

Yes
Hey, Birdy. Let Marcos know that some guy he's never met, who lives way up in Michigan, is damn impressed with him and proud of his accomplishments against the odds.

And good on you for caring for this young man, BW.
Seems to me like this young man could use a nice graduation gift. Just to reinforce that hard work pays off and that people care about him. Where can I send a donation?
Originally Posted by science_guy
Seems to me like this young man could use a nice graduation gift. Just to reinforce that hard work pays off and that people care about him. Where can I send a donation?

Good Thought... Count me in.... Please PM some info
Congratulations to you and all involved in this young man's life. Please give Marcos a good hearty handshake and tell him "good job on not taking the easy way out"
Congratulations all around, to Marcos and to those who stepped up to help him!
Damned impressive, congrats to Marcos, and all who helped him!
Great idea on the gift,where do I send it?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Marcos is one of them kids that by rights should have crashed and burned a long time ago. Since he was five, back when she had custody, his mom would leave him alone for days at a time in charge of the younger kids in the house. Since then he bounced around through a series of foster homes and relatives' houses. Over the last couple of years I would sometimes drive him home from school to his aunt's, where he sort of lived, sometimes sleeping out in the yard when he was locked out. Since Middle School he has supported himself by buying candy and reselling to the other kids at school at a profit, and clothes of course were an odd assortment. When he was seventeen he was finally declared legally homeless.

What he did right all this time was have perfect attendance at school and know enough to accept the help of adults who would care about his welfare. An honors student, he is also active in a local church and has stuck with the Boy Scouts all this time. He's been staying at our house for a few months now, graduates next month.

Birdwatcher

awesome story - the kid will make a difference in this world and you helped it

I've been asking my wife to start fostering for some time now but she is resistant to it. I think she is afraid we'll become to attached and want to adopt.

My son has scheduled his eagle project for August.
I'd spring for some help on that graduation gift. Need an address.
Good on you Birdy--and I know what you mean by it being a team effort.

Over the years I've had a bunch of young guys show up on the door step needing help in one form or another. You do what you can.

One of them is now a pharmasist and another is a heavy duty mechanic--families of their own and doing good. I can't take any credit for that--or else I'd have to take responsibility for the 2 that wound up as drug addicts living in a ditch.

You win some and you lose some
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Good on you Birdy--and I know what you mean by it being a team effort.

Over the years I've had a bunch of young guys show up on the door step needing help in one form or another. You do what you can.

One of them is now a pharmasist and another is a heavy duty mechanic--families of their own and doing good. I can't take any credit for that--or else I'd have to take responsibility for the 2 that wound up as drug addicts living in a ditch.

You win some and you lose some

so what do you do in your community where kids from troubled families show up at your place? is it church?
Well done! Very well done!
Originally Posted by Fireball2

a kid like that needs some local press - someone should call the newspaper or TV to do a story on him - once people hear his story, something good will come from it.
OUTSTANDING!

Congrats to the young man, and those who helped guide him.
Good job.

I guess Hilary is right it does take a village to raise a child.

Well hey, that came out of left field, tho' with this crowd I should have expected it cool

I took him to the mall a couple of weeks back and it was the FIRST time he had ever looked for shoes/sneaks without just buying the cheapest pair possible. Some of us are pitching in for his Senior Prom and Graduation.

This summer he's working for the Boy Scouts at camp so will have some disposable income to buy much-needed clothes. One problem has been him giving so much of what he gets to his scattered relatives. I ain't making this up; he originally started the candy sale thing in the first place to help pay for the funeral costs of a little sister born with a serious birth defect.

I'll PM all interested folks this evening with my address. I am interested in hearing any gift ideas. Something he wouldn't ordinarily buy for himself.

Thanks,
Birdwatcher
I had six young men who could have fit your description go through our home. One turned out OK, five turned out to be some of the finest men you would want to know.

They all had reason to become whiners but not a one of them did.
I have been where you are a few times, and still am. But, I do not want to detract from your story. It is a good thing you do to help an innocent that has no others means.

I think those of us that have been through this, helping others, somehow end up reaping more benefit from knowing these folks then we provide to them. Friends for life, are priceless.
I owe you a beer or nine Birdwatcher

and please tell the other team members I appreciate their efforts as well. But most of all please tell that young man how his story has brightened the life of an old redneck all the way up in Alaska.
Don't even know the lad and I'm so very, very proud of him.

hope that young man has a bright future, and I can like his odds

amazing the resiliency of the human spirit

he provides quite the contrast to that young woman that was gonna sue her parents a while back

contrasts, she makes this kid look even better
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Bingo Fireball! What a great idea.

alright Birdman, ball's in your court, what does this kid need or want?

we ain't got much time to get this gig done.
Good on you. I've seen similar examples over the years and those real pillars of society were most often those that had to really sacrifice to help out.

I wish that young man the best.
alright Birdman, ball's in your court, what does this kid need or want?

We got thirty days to graduation, how about two weeks after tonight I tally up all funds collected and we decide.

One of the most useful things might be a driving school course.

Spring Break this is what happened....

We needed a copy of his birth certificate, the only picture ID he had was his school ID but his school records in the district go back 12 years so that was enough along with the picture ID to get a photocopy of said certificate.

We needed his birth certificate and high school ID to get him a social security card. He already had a number, just no card so after the records office downtown we drove over to the social security office.

We needed the birth certificate, the social security card, the picture ID and also me to sign-off that he was who he said he was to get him a state-issued ID. So next stop was DPS. He had NEVER had a picture ID other than his school ID card before.

He has driven off and on since he was nine, but not at all regular. 18 years old and he doesn't have a driver's license, a basic necessity for any American. The fastest and most guaranteed hassle-free way to get a license here is driving school. Beside which our cars are both manual transmissions.

Probably the most USEFUL gift we could get him is driving school, IIRC $300-$400. I'll find out.

Other than that, I'm open to ideas.

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by science_guy

Good Thought... Count me in.... Please PM some info

Here as well.....
Originally Posted by Mink
I have been where you are a few times, and still am. But, I do not want to detract from your story. It is a good thing you do to help an innocent that has no others means.

I think those of us that have been through this, helping others, somehow end up reaping more benefit from knowing these folks then we provide to them. Friends for life, are priceless.

Well said.

Fortunately, acts of kindness of all sorts are common enough around the 'Fire, that I can tell this story without embarassment or affectation.
please send me your address via pm Birdy for contributing to this young man's grad gift.

obliged

would surprise me none to see the funds end up being enough to get the driving course and maybe something else.

all I can tell you for certain is that bunch of these rednecked, ignorant hillbillies flung far and wide that post here, have some pretty decent hearts within them

I like fun

this should be fun!
You and your lovely bride are good people, Mike.

Ed
I'm in.
Awaiting flashy thingie

Well hey, that came out of left field, tho' with this crowd I should have expected it cool

I took him to the mall a couple of weeks back and it was the FIRST time he had ever looked for shoes/sneaks without just buying the cheapest pair possible. Some of us are pitching in for his Senior Prom and Graduation.

This summer he's working for the Boy Scouts at camp so will have some disposable income to buy much-needed clothes. One problem has been him giving so much of what he gets to his scattered relatives. I ain't making this up; he originally started the candy sale thing in the first place to help pay for the funeral costs of a little sister born with a serious birth defect.

I'll PM all interested folks this evening with my address. I am interested in hearing any gift ideas. Something he wouldn't ordinarily buy for himself.

Thanks,
Birdwatcher
Count me in on this for sure. As for gift ideas, he's going to need a laptop computer. Not cheap, but if we get enough contributions it would be a good purchase.
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Thanks,
Birdwatcher
Count me in on this for sure. As for gift ideas, he's going to need a laptop computer. Not cheap, but if we get enough contributions it would be a good purchase.

if you check out Dell's online outlet they have a returned/scratch & dent category and its where ive been buying my laptops for the last 8 years or so....i pack my laptop everywhere so starting out with a lil scratch on the case that saved me a chunk of change isnt a bad thing.....hell one of the supposedly scratched ones i bought i couldnt even find the scratch crazy last one cost me around $500 and is powerful enough to run any of the huge resource hog Adobe publishing programs....

wish i wasnt going through the split with my wife or ild kick in $50....
That is an amazing story! Congrats to both of you!

I was going to suggest that but didn't know if that was too expensive. He is heavily into web design, does not have a computer, stay late at school to do that usually.
Eleven PMs sent out or replied to so far. Please PM me if by chanced I missed someone's post or message.

Mike
Eleven PMs sent out or replied to so far. Please PM me if by chanced I missed someone's post or message.

Mike

Check again.
Twelve cool
Thirteen cool
If my Dad can get in I am in! Great story and good on you and the team Birdy!

PM Me the address.

Mack
I will be in for a little donation for a good cause. miles
Great stuff.

BTW- what us "legally" homeless? Do you need Giv permission to be homeless?

Originally Posted by rattler

wish i wasnt going through the split with my wife or ild kick in $50....

there's lots of days under the sun, on the days you can, then do

on the days you can't, fuggedaabout it

sun shines on a different dogs azz everyday rattler

ain't no worries, we all know your heart is in the right place

we got this brudda, so just hang loose

good idea on the Dell btw
Check's in the mail. Come on guys, let's get this kid a new computer.
Took awhile to fine a stamp (weird how I almost never use a paper check these days....) but I'm in for one of the most top shelf feel good threads I remember seeing in some time.....
Seventeen grin
BTW- what us "legally" homeless? Do you need Giv permission to be homeless?

I think in this context it meant IIRC that there were no adults legally responsible for him nor did he have an address we could contact. When he got his state-issued ID I had to sign a notarized document that I was "providing services" for him since he had no utility bills or such to show he was residing where he said he was.

Birdwatcher
My check's on it's way from Oregon.
TTT
TTT keep this thread alive people need to read it!
Amazing!! Stories like that give me a sliver of hope for our future. Please tell him our hats in NE are off to him and we wish him the best!!
I'm in, please PM me your address
I wanna say something but Can't till I have time.. I do really wish to speak of this man when I get the chance but for now... TTT! All the way!
Just found this one, it needs to be bumped anyway. Please PM me with address.
there are some damned fine people that frequent this place

and then exceptions like myself

but kudos to you fine folks gettin behind this effort!
TTT For those of ya'll who may have noticed. I am new... I actually specifically joined ya'lls seemingly fun loving community so I can help my friend here. I can't help with something as far as helping ya'lls combined effort in raising donations in order to get the things he needs through funds. I do truly believe he deserves it. I find he has worked hard for himself in getting his life to this point and it's time someones helped him too. Thank you birdwatcher for helping this young man. Amazing too how with his own life dilemmas he still puts an effort in still being able to help others... But what I can help in is letting other people view this thread. by keeping it alive for just a few more days.
Nineteen cool

..nine contributions received so far.

Thank you cool
Somebody is going to make it 20 right? Wait 25 would be an even better number....
Somebody already did cool 20
Somebody already did cool 20

I read your first post and replied but missed the graduation gift part....shoot me your name and address in a PM and I'll send a check. He definitely deserves it....
Twenty-one cool

I think I responded to everyone by PM so far.

I might be offline or 48 hours depending. But I'll certainly check back in on Sunday.

Thanks again.

Mike
just a note of thanks to you folks contributing

and of course a bump (grin)
Hello Mike - don't know how I missed it before, but just noted this thread (and thanks to whomever bumped it).

It is so rewarding to read about Marcos and what you and others have been able to help him accomplish and overcome. He seems to be a most unique, strong. disciplined and giving young fellow with a ton of compassion for others. How good that you and your family recognized these things in him and responded as you have.

Liking the "helping" idea - please let me know where to mail.
Ditto, Mike.

Mark
Mike, count me in.
I wanna say something but Can't till I have time..

Welcome to the fire. Tell us a little about yourself when you have time. You will soon learn about us if you hang a while. Maybe too much. grin miles
Morning bump. miles
PM sent Mike!
Please send me the name you would like my check made payable to and an address.

Is there any possibility for this young man to pursue higher education?

405wcf
Please send me the name you would like my check made payable to and an address.

I think Birdwatcher will be out of pocket for the weekend, so it may be Monday before you hear from him. miles
Thanks!
I wanna say something but Can't till I have time..

Welcome to the fire. Tell us a little about yourself when you have time. You will soon learn about us if you hang a while. Maybe too much. grin miles

Ok will do, well maybe...
I'm a very close "friend" (catch my drift) of his and he doesn't exactly know I found this place and as my way of trying to help him I'll bump this post a few times. As y'all have already seen. I want to help him but he never takes anything from me, he doesn't let me help him. But I know through here I can help some and there's no way he can control it. He helps me a lot with my problems and so I thought of returning the favor several times, but he denies and doesn't except my help. He likes to give help. Not take help. He doesn't believe he is worth someone helping him so he helps others as a way of feeling not completely useless and worthless all the time. But he doesn't except help from anyone because he doesn't think it's worth peoples time and effort. The house he escaped from poisoned his mind into thinking he is worthless and just a burden. He's out of there now and with mike and he's fighting and presses on but not for himself. He can't do things for himself because he thinks its just a waste. But he's continuing on and working hard so he can help and support me! I believe he'll make it but he needs to do something for his self for once, and I'm also a little worried he'll finally brake if he doesn't get someone to help him instead of doing everything his own. I thank you all for helping him. Your all a blessing and he is absolutely baffled by all of ya'll!
Just a thought, he might like something like this.
If/when my boy makes Eagle Scout, he will get one of these.

http://www.yaworski.com/eagleknife/
AESshiGirl, I heard a discription of different "types" of people that kind of rang true to me.....

Three types of people: Givers Takers and Shares..... Having a goal of learning to be reciprocal in relations is a worthy one IMO.

I would not hold out much hope for many of the "takers" getting a clue..... They often seem like sand buckets with no bottom in their pail...... Does not matter how much sand gets put in.... It will never be enough......

A "giver" with a kind heart maybe more likely to grasp the importance of the reciprocal concept..... Best of luck to you both.

Welcome to the Campfire BTW, nice to have a young person around.
Tell him to keep hanging with Mike, it will be good for Him. You hang around a socialize a little. There will be some that will give you a hard time, just ignore them. miles
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
Just a thought, he might like something like this.
If/when my boy makes Eagle Scout, he will get one of these.

http://www.yaworski.com/eagleknife/

Wow that looks and sounds amazing! Great idea on that maybe we'll tell him about it... Or make it a surprise gift, don't know exactly yet. But I know he'll love it! Boy goes crazy whenever her gets a new pocket knife. But what man doesn't go crazy when you give him something new and shiny!?
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
AESshiGirl, I heard a discription of different "types" of people that kind of rang true to me.....

Three types of people: Givers Takers and Shares..... Having a goal of learning to be reciprocal in relations is a worthy one IMO.

I would not hold out much hope for many of the "takers" getting a clue..... They often seem like sand buckets with no bottom in their pail...... Does not matter how much sand gets put in.... It will never be enough......

A "giver" with a kind heart maybe more likely to grasp the importance of the reciprocal concept..... Best of luck to you both.

Welcome to the Campfire BTW, nice to have a young person around.

If you mind tell me please what "IMO" stands for?
Thank you for the welcoming invite. But I don't quite understand? Are you suggesting I may be just a "taker"? I do believe I am not, my good sir.

I may have just read incorrectly but just as a confirmation I am asking to double check.
IMO = In my Opinion

And I didn't read it that he was suggesting you were a taker but I will let him explain if he so wishes.
Birdwatcher,

You are good man to mentor any young man and then guide him to becoming an Eagle scout. Kudo's to you.

Doc
Good Lord no child..... Stupid Internet..... Hard to get a meaning across..... In my opinion ( Meaning take it for whatever you think it might be worth.... For me has a connotation of "This is what I think maybe true....NOT "this is what I know is true and anyone with a lick of sense will listen to me.....").

The point I was trying for is that people that have a hard time accepting kind acts from others ( as you describe your friend ) in a sense take away their friends ( or romantic partners) chances to feel good about doing nice stuff for someone they care about in return.

You sound like a young woman with a kind heart..... which is a good thing IMO wink

Birdwatcher,

Im in...PM sent.

Doc
Twenty-eight pledges so far cool

Ten contributions received for a total of $495 in. Thanks cool

Driving school and a laptop were our goals. Optimistic at this point we can meet that.

Is there any possibility for this young man to pursue higher education?

Certainly, he's got the brains and the grades and no blemishes on his record, far from it.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for what you have done for Marco. Check is in the mail.

Doc
PM Sent
For those interested in contribution for another present for Marco.. this idea came from Eagle Scout Seafire Jr...as dad has done this for him and other boys in our troop when they attained the Eagle Rank....

We are going to pick up a nice Hunting style knife and case, and then I am going to have it engraved locally with Marco's Name, plus the Eagle Scout & BSA Emblems on the blade....one of each side of his name...

I am making a financial contribution for his other needs, but I thought it might be a nice campfire present, if those are interested... on the other side of the blade, if the campfire members want to contribute, I would have From 24 Hour Campfire Engraved on that side...

PM me if interested in making this a group effort, or I'll just make it from me and Seafire Jr if it is not desired to be from the campfire forum....
Originally Posted by Seafire
For those interested in contribution for another present for Marco.. this idea came from Eagle Scout Seafire Jr...as dad has done this for him and other boys in our troop when they attained the Eagle Rank....

We are going to pick up a nice Hunting style knife and case, and then I am going to have it engraved locally with Marco's Name, plus the Eagle Scout & BSA Emblems on the blade....one of each side of his name...

I am making a financial contribution for his other needs, but I thought it might be a nice campfire present, if those are interested... on the other side of the blade, if the campfire members want to contribute, I would have From 24 Hour Campfire Engraved on that side...

PM me if interested in making this a group effort, or I'll just make it from me and Seafire Jr if it is not desired to be from the campfire forum....
Seafire-I all ready pitched in on the other gift, but you I know I can't not support your efforts. Send me your address again, and who to make the money order out to. Can't do a lot right now, but I want to help.
Great idea and thank you cool

Marcos is already astonished by this whole thing.
Twenty-nine cool
Three more in today for a total of thirteen in.

$736.00 and counting cool

Been trying to correlate names with handles but it ain't always easy if no mention is made on the envelope or check....

Soo.... T.H. from Tennessee and P.Y. from Texas, thank you, whoever you are here grin

Mike
P.Y. from Texas...that would be me
T.H. from TN here. Does he already know about the gift(s)?
Jeff,

Don't worry about it.. heck even $5 or $10 is more than enough...the engraving will run me about $25 ( since it for Scouts) and I figured a nice $50 or so knife...
Thank you Sir, ya might have mentioned it but I have twent-nine separate threads in my PM.s now on this topic grin

...and yet another PM this evening to make it an even thirty pledges of contributions so far cool
Three more in today for a total of thirteen in.

$736.00 and counting cool

Been trying to correlate names with handles but it ain't always easy if no mention is made on the envelope or check....

Soo.... T.H. from Tennessee and P.Y. from Texas, thank you, whoever you are here grin

Mike
Once again, our generous members are stepping up to the plate to help a young man out. As much as we pizz and moan, and bicker around here, when the rubber hits the road, we're a pretty good bunch of folks. Special thanks to Birdwatcher for giving us a chance to help this remarkable young man out. Here's to the hope we never see another person in need,but if we do, that we are able to answer the call as we have here. Sure feels good to be on the giving end, doesn't it guys?
T.H. from TN here. Does he already know about the gift(s)?

I told him about this gift drive that had formed more or less spontaneously. My reasoning was that here at the end of the school year (just three weeks left) things move very quickly all at once, and I wanted to stay informed on who else might be buying him what, most particularly the members and personnel of his scout troop. No worries so far on either driving school or a computer.

Marcos wants to thank everyone individually, I have told him that would best done when the funds are all in and the gifts are bought, that he should log in (on his new computer smile ) and get on here, plus as a member it would be a whole lot easier for me to supply him with thirty handles to PM.

I don't think Marcos gets on here much if at all, only regular computer access he really has at this point is at school and AFAIK the 'Fire is blocked for students.

Mike
He would be a welcome addition here.
Mike, for some reason I was under the impression that Marcos was receiving the gifts as they arrive but I realize that you're holding them back to present them to him all at once. This is much better! I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you present him with them....unless he's holding a fly swatter and hates flies. wink

Marcos wants to thank everyone individually, I have told him that would best done when the funds are all in and the gifts are bought, that he should log in (on his new computer smile ) and get on here,

I thought you were one helluva mentor and responsible adult until I read you were going to introduce him to this place wink

Did you have a problem with mine? grin miles
Great work! To both of you.
Originally Posted by KFWA

Marcos wants to thank everyone individually, I have told him that would best done when the funds are all in and the gifts are bought, that he should log in (on his new computer smile ) and get on here,

I thought you were one helluva mentor and responsible adult until I read you were going to introduce him to this place wink
Well played, KWFA.

Naah, sorta like Mickey Coleman, yours was an easy one to ID.

Anyhow... J.P. Jr. from Florida: Thank you, your donation has arrived here safely, whoever you are..... grin
....and thirty-one pledges as of this morning cool

Fourteen received so far, thanks again.

Anyhow... J.P. Jr. from Florida: Thank you, your donation has arrived here safely, whoever you are..... grin

I'm easy to identify because I have dog hair all over me. smile

I'm easy to identify because I'm covered in dog hair. smile
I'm easy to identify because I have dog hair all over me.

Me too, maybe not as much. miles
I'm wondering, since he's into web design, why not get him a mac book? Birdwatcher, thank you and your wife for the willingness to give to others.

pm inbound.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm wondering, since he's into web design, why not get him a mac book? Birdwatcher, thank you and your wife for the willingness to give to others.

pm inbound.

I've seen him work. I know his work. And i know he's a PC haha.. If anything He's an android Not an apple too. But I alrdy know he wouldn't even know hwat to do with a apple, he's told me storys ho him using apple products before, he used to use macs for develpoing videos and movies he would make at school, he was President of film club at his high school for 3 years, he said it was annoying but fun! But he would only ever go back to a mac for developing movies and music, he developes his own music and videos. or at least used too. music for 4 years videos for 3, stopped doing both at the same time last year. He has tried using a mac to develope his web sights but he doesn't like it, "way more difficult than needed" to do something simple, so he likes PC for developing his web sights and games.

All in all he developes web sights, video games(for computers, both pc and mac), music and videos.

Thats what he likes to do and can do as far as the digital relm goes...
UPDATE! Also Mac books start at $1000 for cheap...
so I'm hopefull
and I pray and
I'm optimistic
but Thats a bit of a long shot...
ahh don't get him a mac

more bang for the buck with an intel based windows machine.

J.P. Jr is me. Glad it arrived safe and sound. I get nervous trusting the bank to cut a check. They like deposits not withdrawals. Plus I always worry the envelope will look like junk mail and get tossed out. But no postage and set it and forget it is nice.

Mack

Guts and grit trump genius.
I'm easy to identify because I'm covered in dog hair smile

Ya well, my secret to being popular with dogs is my breath reminds them of their mom wink

Thirty-two pledges cool

Fifteen donations in as of yesterday's mail, and I'll post a new total soon as the next ones arrive (If I post a current total now the last two donors will each know how much the other gave. That would be bad form, on my part).

Thank you very much all.

Mike

WOW! O WOW! This Is a story Worth Reading! IS there anyway we can get to know more about this young man?
This Is a story Worth Reading! IS there anyway we can get to know more about this young man?

Champ,

I'll certainly post a pic at some point, I was thinking when all was done. I expect Marcos himself will log in here to thank everyone. Just now he's a tad overwhelmed by this generous response from a bunch of people he has never met.

Mike
Sixteen donations in.

$960 collected so far.

Thank you.

Mike
Another headed your way, Birdy. Soon as I can get to the mailbox!
Birdwatcher,

Thanks for posting.

What does this young man want to do in the future? Does he want to go to college? The military? Learn a trade?
What does this young man want to do in the future? Does he want to go to college? The military? Learn a trade?

Marcos will be on here by and by but in the meantime he has expressed to me an interest in computers and a degree therein.

Mike
J.P. from Minnesota, the cash arrived safely, thank you cool

In the meantime twenty-two donations in for a total of $1,205 collected cool

Thank you all.
Wow thats a great amount so far! Did my own research.... instructional driving classes will run $400
And a computer that this Eagle scout needs will run from $600-$900pc
Plus im sure... if he is gojng to be doing programming of all thos things you mentioned AESshigirl.. thenhe is going to definately need.... well to start him off..
1 4tb extrenal hard drive and also
1 1tb external hard drive
I looked around on deal ill post the website later
The 4tb is $250
And the 1tb is about $60-$100 or even or less if you do rebates.
Thanks for looking into it, I'll be gathering suggestions.
If you had be up for the Paypal thing..... You would have way more donations in hand by now...... Just saying..... grin Seriously, I don't even know how much a stamp costs these day.... Dug around and came up with a Forever stamp from years ago.... I almost never write a check anymore......

Computers have been determental to the limited handwriting skills I had as well....times sure do seem to change faster with every passing year..... Life has become, "Like a VCR stuck on fast foward....".

Great news about $ that has arrived..... Bet several folks are still looking in the back of desk drawers for a stamp cool
Originally Posted by AESshiGirl
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

pm inbound.

I've seen him work. I know his work. And i know he's a PC haha.. If anything He's an android Not an apple too. But I alrdy know he wouldn't even know hwat to do with a apple, he's told me storys ho him using apple products before, he used to use macs for develpoing videos and movies he would make at school, he was President of film club at his high school for 3 years, he said it was annoying but fun! But he would only ever go back to a mac for developing movies and music, he developes his own music and videos. or at least used too. music for 4 years videos for 3, stopped doing both at the same time last year. He has tried using a mac to develope his web sights but he doesn't like it, "way more difficult than needed" to do something simple, so he likes PC for developing his web sights and games.

All in all he developes web sights, video games(for computers, both pc and mac), music and videos.

Thats what he likes to do and can do as far as the digital relm goes...

forgot to quote you... thanks for the insight of what he likes to do and wants to do later..
Again,
thanks Birdwatcher and anyone else who has gone above and beyond to help others.
Thanks for looking into it, I'll be gathering suggestions.

No problem I'm a little bit of a online shopping fanatic... Well more window shopper but online.. My hobby is I love to search up prices and compare whats best to buy.. So this is something fun for me to do.. I understand computers and on what he would need too.. so feel free to post and ask if you have questions on that stuff to get him that he made need if he does know or you want to get him without him knowing.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
If you had be up for the Paypal thing..... You would have way more donations in hand by now...... Just saying..... grin Seriously, I don't even know how much a stamp costs these day.... Dug around and came up with a Forever stamp from years ago.... I almost never write a check anymore......

Computers have been determental to the limited handwriting skills I had as well....times sure do seem to change faster with every passing year..... Life has become, "Like a VCR stuck on fast foward....".

Great news about $ that has arrived..... Bet several folks are still looking in the back of desk drawers for a stamp cool

ehhh ya that might be true... but I don't think birdy has a paypal.. plus i think the anticipation of waiting for letter to arrive is better for mystery and suspense..

And anyone can transfer money instantly through Paypal. The people who take the time to make a check and write a letter to stamp and send are the true people, who are willing to help and have a true heart of goodness.

But then again ya maybe would get more if used Paypal. I don't know its just my upfront opinion.

who knows maybe birdy does have a Paypal we could use.
Twenty-six donations in. One thousand four hundred and forty dollars collected cool

Well, we certainly can cover a laptop and driving school I would think.

Given the funds on hand, the next item on the agenda is a mountain bike grin Marcos has never had one, has hardly had bikes at all, always wanted one.

The official motive is to help him get in shape for the military, which is where conversations are headed at this point. The services have ever been a pathway for young men of little means to get a jump-start on life.

With smart shopping we could get him a workable bike that wont break easily with what we have in hand already, tho' it won't be fancy or top-drawer. Doesn't need to be either, as its gonna get taken to scout camp for a couple of months and then be used as basic transportation.

When I mentioned how we could prob'ly swing a bike too and how we should go shopping this weekend the impression I got from Marcos was that all of this was finally becoming like his best Christmas ever grin

Money well sent guys, thank you.

Mike

\
Any update on Marcos and what you were able to get the lad?
Any update on Marcos and what you were able to get the lad?

Marcos graduated Tuesday night, and now the post-graduation "rest of your life" kicks in grin

I expect Marcos will be on here directly ("MarcosEagleScout" or some such is apparently waiting for admin approval), but we got the high zoot laptop and a mountain bike, driving school pending.

Anyhow......

Mr. G from NH your money order arrived earlier this week, thank you cool

Mike
Awesome work!!! Thanks for the update.
(I don't know if I should start a new thread or just talk on this one... oh well we'll start with this one.)

Wow!

First thank you to the entire campfire forum community all of this is completely unexpected and appreciated.

Thank you to everyone who sent me blessings and funds and to everyone who read this thread.

I never would have thought that the little excerpt or my story would have ever lifted someone up or made there day or even given them hope for our future.

A lot of ya'll are saying that ya'll are amazed or blown away. well I can say the same. so "dido". I cant believe any of this not one bit. For a while in the beginning of all this I kind of thought "birdwatcher"/"mike" was making this all up as a way for me to actually let him help me.

yes I live with him but when it comes to everything else I try to do it all by myself for the most part or at least I make it an effort to not ask or accept further help from "birdwatcher"/"mike" because he has already done so much for me.

but then he showed me the full and real forum that this is all happening on. and was blown away. at the time it was already a 5 page active forum thread only 2-3 days only. now I'm back on here and its now 15 pages and about maybe a month old with thousands of people who have looked at it.

I wish to say more but I cant think strait now. I haven't been feeling well sick for the past week and derived from that I can't think without it hurting. Been getting better. :)I wanna say just 1-2 more days I'll be as fit as a fittle.

p.s.
yes I Have my new computer:) loving it and my 4tb external hard drive.
Also got new bike been a big help in getting to places, first official bike that's absolutely mine.

p.s.s.
just graduated this past Tuesday June 10, 2014
Well done Marcos! Well done!
starting this sunday or monday. which ever it is that ill be feel better on one those days. I am going to probably start a thread where ya'll guys can ask me questions about me to get to know me better. some of ya'll have asked for something like this already and I do not mind if ya'll are interested. i only find it fair for me to do so, personally because if it was me I would like to know and understand who it was I am helping.

Don't ask now please but you can ask me about anything that has been said on here or my past or almost just about whatever else.
© 24hourcampfire