Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elkmen
I think these instances will help make my point.

What was the 'point'? I don't get it.....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why someone would shoot an elk in the arse is beyond me. Too much good eating wasted.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well Kevin and huntsman. Many of the seasons where I typically hunt are short, and you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years. Most will not pass no matter what cartridge they are shooting, or the shot presented. So the point is to bring enough gun to the table,to get the job done, and put the animal down, rather than risk a wounded animal, getting away. Rather than planning to "only" take the perfect shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many of the seasons where I typically hunt are short, and you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years.

I have been around a lot of dead elk

You must be very old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Killed a bull one day While dressing him I noticed the Three (3, fresh 6mm caliber bullets in his rear quarters.

my dad shot a very, very nice mule deer buck. While skinning him we found (3) 6 mm caliber bullets just inches from his spine.

You now have enough bullets to make a necklace. You can wear it while making your magnum pitchman speeches to the un-washed. Just finger it every once in a while, to really drive those ol' 'points' home....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years. Most will not pass no matter what cartridge they are shooting, or the shot presented. So the point is.....

OR should be, to learn how to fugging shoot?......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Many of the seasons where I typically hunt are short, and you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years.

I have been around a lot of dead elk

You must be very old.

HAH!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Funny how a hard 7mm bullet can destroy front shoulders causing DRTs... but them rear shoulders are tougher...

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Kevin and huntsman. Many of the seasons where I typically hunt are short, and you are lucky to get one shot at an animal in several years. Most will not pass no matter what cartridge they are shooting, or the shot presented. So the point is to bring enough gun to the table,to get the job done, and put the animal down, rather than risk a wounded animal, getting away. Rather than planning to "only" take the perfect shot.

Jeff?

ETA- does blue tape on the muzzle hinder one's chances of getting a good ass shot?

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 06/04/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
]
Killed a bull one day While dressing him I noticed the Three (3, fresh 6mm caliber bullets in his rear quarters.

my dad shot a very, very nice mule deer buck. While skinning him we found (3) 6 mm caliber bullets just inches from his spine.

After using my keen 'Sherlock Holmes-like' powers off deduce-ability, think it is only obvious that somewhere up in elkmens country there is a wimmin or chillun running around in the woods with a 243/6mm with a cartridge capacity of three, that likes to shoot critters in the azz. And then they like to herd them over the hill to dad and them, so they can blast away once every few years with the ol' magnums and get some meat. And souveniers to make necklaces outta, to boot. Since everyone knows, that 243/6mm is only fit for girls and kids, tell me that I'm wrong here.......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bingo!

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I want to know if those bullets were sent to forensics to determine if they came from the same gun.

Kent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The old man isn't saying you can't kill elk with 243's, and since he probably hunts a few states every Fall for elk, he is able to see more elk than the average guy that gets to hunt one season in one state. I am pretty sure shot placement trumps caliber everytime along with bringing the right bullet to task. You can't really hammer on a guy that has taken a ton of elk. I don't believe anybody ever looks for a rear end shot, but I think they happen. Not many will post they have made a crap shot, but a bad shot is bad no matter how it happens, but I'd rather have that shot that blows thru the animal, leaving blood on the ground to end the rodeo as fast as possible.

Either way, since I have been a Marine, it has been a free country, so we get to pick what we want to hunt elk with. Again, we won't change anybodys opinion on this here Google box, but it is an opinion and I can't see how he would be wrong recommending a larger caliber for elk if your able to shoot it well.

Semper Fi
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The reality is few carry and shoot a magnum well, and that's why nonmagnums far outnumber them in elk killed every year.

This thread is about the 7mm08... and inevitably it's compared to a 338 by magnum shooters thinking they know how to kill better than others because of their 338.

That's ignorant.

Kent

N
NTG Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
"That's ignorant.", I agree.

"shot placement trumps caliber every time", I also agree.

If the old 30/30 and its black powder predecessors can do it, a 7-08 sure can.

I think those who used the 30/30, etc. 80 plus years ago weren't ignorant enough to think you can buy hunting skill with a bigger gun or any other hunting tool. One of the farces that our prosperous society seems to have a lot of is that of buying yourself into being a better person...and I'm not just talking guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH
I have one instance, out of 56 elk I've shot, where I'm 80% sure the 338 killed an elk when a 7-08 likely wouldnt have.

Thought I could squeeze a shot between some trees and hit the tree an elk was standing about 10 feet behind.

The .338 250 grain partition went through the lodgepole, busted a shoulder and exited. Dumped the elk right there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Older Brother once bet a 160g Grand Slam from my 7mm RM wouldn't go through the center of a pine tree about a foot in diameter. He lost...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You must be very old.

Shot my first elk in 1961. Between myself, my dad and a couple of other part time hunters, we have accounted for well over a 100 elk kills in 4 states. About a third or so of these with non-magnums. From up close in the dark timber to out over 500 yards. Adding a 150 or so deer to that, gives one a pretty good data base, don't you think? I will continue to post as my experience in the field dictates.

Last edited by Elkmen; 06/04/14.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
KRP
Actually Wayne Van Zwoll has done a little research on popular elk calibers. At RMEF gatherings he has in the past handed out forms and gathered cartridge sales data, from the manufactures. The last time I chatted with him (4) years back his data showed that the most popular elk cartridge was the 30:06 a close second and third were the 300 WM and the 7 mm Mag. Whether or not this is still the case I am not sure, but it is interesting info !

Last edited by Elkmen; 06/04/14.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by krp
The reality is few carry and shoot a magnum well, and that's why nonmagnums far outnumber them in elk killed every year.

I disagree. Guys that don't shoot magnums well don't shoot standard cartridges well either.

There is no secret to shooting a magnum well. To shoot a magnum well you have to "want to" and burn powder. The same as any standard cartridge.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree to an extent. It depends on whether or not the guy doesn't shoot well because he just doesn't shoot well, or if he is being distracted by the recoil of the rifle he's shooting.

For example, I've seen guys that shoot a .243 a lot better than they shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, but that's because they have no mental distractions or fear of recoil from the .243, like they do the 7RM.

But if we're talking about two cartridges that recoil very similarly, like a .30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag, then if you can't shoot one, you won't be able to shoot the other, either.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,244
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.