Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen Rattler, helluva find bud.

After finding that how did you get back to Scottf's?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
If is IS a bison vertebrae, we're talking 10,000+ years old...

I would conclude not true due to the projectile point shape. It is not Paleo-like, rather it has more modern shape that has a subconvex base and is side notched. But then, I am no expert...just a casual projectile point collector.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is similar shape (different material) to the one cited. That one is from a bison latifro, which is over 20,000 years old.

Ask Ken Howell. I'm sure he wrote a story when that caliber projectile came out... grin

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 06/09/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just make sure it isn't a discard from the ancient artifact making class that Scott gave a few years back.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak

I would conclude not true due to the projectile point shape. It is not Paleo-like, rather it has more modern shape that has a subconvex base and is side notched. But then, I am no expert...just a casual projectile point collector.

That is correct, though.

The point is middle Archaic Era. 4000-5000 years old.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Very cool find!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by roundoak

That is correct, though.

The point is middle Archaic Era. 4000-5000 years old.
If the point is 4-5,000 years old, it would then lead to the assumption that it is bison occidentalis, the predecessor to the bison bison. (modern bison)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Man, that is so cool! I could only wish...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This place is certainly an interesting one to hang about.

FASCINATING tutelage, fellows....

Keep it comin' !

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The dean of the Graduate School of Anthropology at Washington State University, Dr. William Andrefsky, is an expert in Northwest Lithic technology. Just for kicks, I sent him an email with a link to this thread.

http://libarts.wsu.edu/anthro/faculty/andrefsky.html

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pardon my ignorance, but if it is bison... how does that automatically get us back 10k years?

I did go back a re-read but am not connecting the dots.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very cool find, 2,000 -4,000 years old maybe from a bear? I talked along time ago to a guy that hunts arrow heads here in Michigan, he found about the same thing as you did I seen a pic of it, he had a friend at U of M here check it out, turned out it was human about 3,000 years old! if you neeed a place to store it while your on your walk about, Pm me! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 06/09/14.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The dean of the Graduate School of Anthropology at Washington State University, Dr. William Andrefsky, is an expert in Northwest Lithic technology. Just for kicks, I sent him an email with a link to this thread.

http://libarts.wsu.edu/anthro/faculty/andrefsky.html

It will be quite interesting to see what he says. I already have a very good idea. But will wait to see what his reply is. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Pardon my ignorance, but if it is bison... how does that automatically get us back 10k years?

Not automatically, but not many modern bison historically in western Washington, but 10,000 years ago, the bison antiquus roamed the area. And 20,000 years ago the bison latifrons roamed and both were hunted by prehistoric man.

The bison occidentalis was also considered by some scientists to be a smaller subspecies of antiquus and it died out about 5,000 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not automatically, but not many modern bison historically in western Washington, but 10,000 years ago, the bison antiquus roamed the area. And 20,000 years ago the bison latifrons roamed and both were hunted by prehistoric man.

The bison occidentalis was also considered by some scientists to be a smaller subspecies of antiquus and it died out about 5,000 years ago.

Gotcha. That was my only guess was a habitat/range issue. OP is from Montana but found in a salmon stream, I was guessing further west wink

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cool stuff, I love learning.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is really an awesome find!

Talk about a piece of history...err a pre-history that is. Wow!

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Gotcha. That was my only guess was a habitat/range issue. OP is from Montana but found in a salmon stream, I was guessing further west wink

OP has been visiting Scott F, who lives in western Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. Many of us peek on on ScottF and now Rattler in a voyeuristic sort of way.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is just too cool. Any luck placing the arrow head by style?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very impressive.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,966
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.