Home
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
vertebrae of some critter? With an arrow point imbedded in it?
Yetti?
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
vertebrae of some critter? With an arrow point imbedded in it?

yep
Fig Boot, Big Foot's dumber brother.
That is a pretty damn cool find.
That is freaking awesome! Any idea what kind of vertebra it is, deer, elk?
I would be delighted to find that.
With no scale it is a little tough to figure how large it is...

It is a thoracic vertebrae and it is not from a marine mammal like a seal as it is not dense enough as witnessed by apparent porosity. The facet joint half in the first photo would link up with a rib.

Deer would be my first guess but that would change if it outside the size range.
Wow that's super cool!
given location im guessing a monster roosevelt elk.....no bison here historically and roosevelts do get pretty damn big in the body
Whatever it is, it was bang-flopped! Er...or maybe "twang-flopped". grin
It looks like part of a hip to me
There seems to be a lot of bone to just be a single vertabra

It's an awsome find though
yeah that's a twang flop.

lol
That looks like a large arrow head. I wonder if it was from an atlatl.
Originally Posted by Snyper

Clearly vertebral.

This is an outdoorsman?
Originally Posted by Ravenr2

This is an outdoorsman?

first thought is critter always taken to the processor....never butchered anything themselves...
Is it a stone point or a modern broadhead?

If it's stone, that really is a find of historic proportions.

Huh?....
Originally Posted by ironbender

Clearly vertebral.

The vertabrae joins the hip

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

its stone....looks like a light colored flint

My first thought was "paleolithic diskectomy".
You need a book dude.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

Huh?....

Dittos.. huh?

WAY cool. That would be a super find for sure!!!

Clearly vertebral.

seriously? look at the back bone next time you take the backstraps off a critter.....the processes above the shoulders are pretty big aswell
Man,..that's a one chance in a million find. Would be cost prohibitive, but bet they could carbon 12 that bone...
Originally Posted by rattler

its stone....looks like a light colored flint

Wow, that's gonna be worth some coin. cool

This is an outdoorsman?

Excuse me for not knowing how big Elk vertabrae are since we don't have them here

Sheridan, ya otter put this in the indian artifacts thread so it's preserved for posteriorty....

Some fuggers find all the neat stuff.......

This is an outdoorsman?

Excuse me for not knowing how big Elk vertabrae are since we don't have them here

Well, were it big or small it would be shaped the same... bet the ones off a squirrel might look similar but tiny....

Not to mention what were you using for scale? zoom lens will fool some folks.

Funny every hip joint I've popped apart on an animal was a ball{femur} into a socket{pelvis}.
Wow! That is an amazing find...

Any other parts of the skeleton found? How did you come across it?

Simply amazing and thanks for sharing the find.

Sheriden, I can't tell from looking at it, but give us a guesstimate as to how the arrow hit the animal. From which angle, and such.
Might not have been a fatal wound. Looks like the bone has re-grown around the point.
I agree it's worth a good bit; do not volunteer to let "scientists" examine it, or you may very well never see it again. frown They may well also want to excavate the rest of the area where it was found. I'd charge them for that, too!

Funny every hip joint I've popped apart on an animal was a ball{femur} into a socket{pelvis}.

smile

Lotsa folk say 'hip' when they mean 'pelvis'.
Ummm ... that's interesting.

How old does that bone seem to be?

I wouldn't think a vertebra would last long enough in Washington for it to be very old. Makes me wonder who the f**k is running around up there still shooting flint arrows?

Tom

That would be the leg end, away from the spine
Originally Posted by BarryC

You sir just invented a new phrase.
Originally Posted by rost495

This is an outdoorsman?

Well, were it big or small it would be shaped the same... bet the ones off a squirrel might look similar but tiny....

Not to mention what were you using for scale? zoom lens will fool some folks.

this, other than the processes get real tall in some critters with any sort of permanent hump on thier back like a bison vertebrae look pretty similar no matter the critter, feel your own back, tallest spines are between the shoulders not the hip.....anyone thats cut the backstrap off a critter should know this....

didnt understand the deer comments till i went back and looked and realized there was nothing for scale....

as for where the shot came from......down and slightly forward on the left side, so above and slightly quartering towards verses a perfectly side on
Originally Posted by Scott F
Fig Boot, Big Foot's dumber brother.

grin
Very neat find! cool
That is a heck of a find! Very cool! It's like holding history in your hand!
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Might not have been a fatal wound. Looks like the bone has re-grown around the point.

I agree, possibly the one that got away. Or... wounded and drown due to partial paralysis.

I can�t help but assume the hunter would have probably retrieved that arrow head from the spine if he actually harvested that critter. Making a new arrow head is probably more work than it would have been to get that one loose from the bone.

It�s not human is it?
to big to be human.....no regrowth on the bone on the inside of the wound.....

Very nice.

That's a great find.
So very cool regardless.

I still think the hunter would have tried to get that arrow head out if he had the chance to butcher that critter.

It will be very interesting to hear what the positive ID of that chunka back bone is.

That critter was instantly paralyzed imo. I've spined a couple deer in my day and they DRT.

You need to get that thing checked out and appraised IMO.
Probably transported there (washed down) from a higher elevation or further upsteam. No doubt there was an ancient funnel or ambush point where an indian would have lobbed that point from an atl atl or chucked spear. Possibly from above a ravine forwarding the animals regularly used or just a single animal that was looking down in a feeding position not to see the hunter's motion.

As with any bow hunter, you try make your move while the animal is not in the alert position. I doubt indians 'stand hunted' in any organized fashion. But one never knows. indians didn't skull out the head, strap to a kifaru back pack and toss all the meat into a ditch or let the "locals claim the carcass"

Nice find rattler

Never can tell, the right collector might lay a $1000 in your hand for something like that. Buy ScottF a flush toilet with part of the proceeds laugh

Originally Posted by ryoushi
That is freaking awesome! Any idea what kind of vertebra it is, deer, elk?

Yetti
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Ummm ... that's interesting.

How old does that bone seem to be?

I wouldn't think a vertebra would last long enough in Washington for it to be very old. Makes me wonder who the f**k is running around up there still shooting flint arrows?

Tom

i have no clue on age.....im used to looking at stuff from back home and have seen stuff pulled out of the ground that was 10,000 years that looked similar but have no clue what the soil here would do.....was in a high clay soil that didnt appear to acidic to me, no peat, minimal organics.....if it was a good fine grained clay it would have limited water movement and kept stuff for a long time even in western Washington and Scotts place isnt as wet as alot of places out here due to a rain shadow....

really no clue on age, Carbon 14 be bout the only way to find out....
That's one heck of a find. I have no idea what the age of it would be? How long did the local Indians continue to use flint for arrow heads? Perhaps as late as the 1500's?
Very cool! That's a find of a lifetime. grin

Does the bone appear to be fossilized or relatively fresh?

Ed
I'd imaging that they used flint up until the point where they established trade with the west, seems the first record of a ship landing in Washington was in the 1770's.
If I let anyone from a museum or university look at it, I wouldn't leave it with them and I sure as heck wouldn't tell them where it came from.

You're likely to get Scott's whole farm designated as an ancient burial ground for endangered turtles or something.
Very Sound advice Blue

They only need a tiny piece of it to date it.

Hack it off yourself.

Talk to them over email,and send them pics of it.

Then send them a tiny hunk.

Done.

Cattle? Mustang? Steppe Bison? Wooly Mammoth? Mormon?

Short faced bear?, grizzly bear?, yogi bear? Saber tooth tiger?
That is an truly awesome find. It is more likely to be 2,000 years old or more than 200 years old in my opinion.
I wonder what an Xray or MRI of that would look like?
I'd let somebody who knows this stuff look at it. Using the caution that others have already mentioned.

Getting the background on the type of material used for the projectile point to finding out what animal it came from is going to be very interesting and add to the find. The animal it came from might even be extinct now.

If you **let** a museum or university see it, you'd better accompany it the whole time. Or you may not get it back.

So-called preservation societies and academia are the biggest theives and plunderes of artifacts. Because they have been known to confiscate, 'misplace' or flat out fail to return pieces to the persons who rescue these finds.

Just FYI

A knowledgeable collector is able to discern age, era, authenticity, collectibility and value.
A better pic showing the cross section of that base of that point would be most helpful. Would like see all the clear detail you can on the side notches of that point.

Something for scale too, like a dime would be a must.

Focus less on vertabrae and more on point please if possible.

Originally Posted by slumlord
Probably transported there (washed down) from a higher elevation or further upsteam. No doubt there was an ancient funnel or ambush point where an indian would have lobbed that point from an atl atl or chucked spear.

If they used one of those, would that make it a "fling-flop"? grin
Nowadays them injuns just use a rope, jonboat and evinrude motor- catch a moose swimmin the lake, it's on sucka
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by BarryC

You sir just invented a new phrase.

Yep,,,, someone needs to alert Wickopedia ASAP.
That is very cool!

What a neat find.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Very cool! That's a find of a lifetime. grin

Does the bone appear to be fossilized or relatively fresh?

Ed

its bone not stone.....so its old but not really ancient

will work on better photos this afternoon....unfortunately dont have a true macro lens for my camera but its able to give me a hell of alot of control so ill look in the book and mess with the settings and see how good i can do at isolating the focus to the point
Originally Posted by Pete E
That's one heck of a find. I have no idea what the age of it would be? How long did the local Indians continue to use flint for arrow heads? Perhaps as late as the 1500's?
Much later, at least early 1800's. This was in NW Washington. A few ships were putting into Puget sound around 1800 but it was likely quite a few years later before iron arrow heads were generally available.

The point is almost vertical like it was shot from a tree or something. Possibly the elk was already down and it was a kill shot.
Can you put some objects in the pictures to give a reference for size. This is beyond cool.
In looking a little closer, I made an error. That is a lumbar vertebrae and there is no facet joint showing...

What I wonder about is the flattening on the dorsal process???
That is bad ass!

Are you REALLY as stupid as your posts?

GTC

This is an outdoorsman?

No,.....loud mouthed tenderfoot.

GTC
cool....
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
In looking a little closer, I made an error. That is a lumbar vertebrae and there is no facet joint showing...

What I wonder about is the flattening on the dorsal process???

Might that be a sign of age, starvation, sickness, injury? Leaching off its own nutrients.

May be why it was chosen to be culled from the herd. Slow, infirm. Size.
It sure looks like the bison vertebra I found, just not as tall. It also has that flattening.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

shots with a digital endoscope/microscope.....unfortunately this is a cheap one with manual focus so its real hard for me to get great pics but you can see flecks of bone on the flint in these pics
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2014/140609-113645_zpsc400e8f8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2014/140609-113736_zpsd4de8320.jpg[/img]
Likely just an example of broadhead testing done some years ago by an Indian Outdoor Cave writer.

Now, people shoot water jugs with bullets, but buffalo spine was likely the favored medium back in the day for Outdoor writers...
So I did a quick Google and found this!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Giant_Bison_Vertebra_with_Atlatl_Point.jpg

[Linked Image]
That's what I'm saying...
I don't know anything about that area, but it looks an awful lot like this bison vertabra I've got here...
Well, with point location looking similar, it shows the ancient Indians were vertebrae, spinal cord shot placement hunters, NOT front shoulder/lower ribcage/heart shot placement hunters

Makes sense. The spinal cord being less protected on top of back,rather than trying to drive it through the ribcage.
Bison it is!
That is just about as cool as it gets right there.

shots with a digital endoscope/microscope.....unfortunately this is a cheap one with manual focus so its real hard for me to get great pics but you can see flecks of bone on the flint in these pics

Guess again Rattler, those look outstanding! laugh
Very evident they had done this before.
As we chant today......."shot placement.......shot placement".

Makes ya wonder if they had the equivalent of "the Perfect Shot" by Boddington........except on tanned hide. whistle
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

Makes ya wonder if they had the equivalent of "the Perfect Shot" by Boddington........except on tanned hide. whistle

Well they only had to shoot "Minute of Buffalo" back then... wink

Come to think of it, I had a rifle like that once. For a very short period of time... grin
Could be Bison....

http://washingtonlandscape.blogspot.com/2012/11/bison-in-washinton-state-gibbs-and.html

I came across a reference regarding buffalo and antelope in eastern Washington by George Gibbs in a report to General McClellan in 1854. Gibbs was hired to assess the First Nations peoples of Washington Territory prior to the treaties. Besides his reports on the tribes and tribal leaders, Gibbs made numerous observations about the Washington landscape. Regarding large game in eastern Washington Gibbs reported, "Of the larger game there is but little in their own country. The buffalo, it would seem, in former times penetrated at least occasionally thus far to the westward, though now they never come through the northern passes. We were informed by an old Iroquois hunter, at Fort Colville, who has been some forty-eight years in the company's service, that the last bull was killed some twenty-five years ago in the Grand Coulee."

This matches David Douglas (of Douglas fir fame) reporting eating buffalo tongue as a treat given to him by Wanapum people near present day Hanford in the 1820s.

These two reports strike me as reasonably reliable and extend the period of time bison were in Washington State to the 1820s. It is generally thought that previous bison populations came not through the northern passes, but via eastern Oregon and the Snake River plain of Idaho. The arrival of horses and guns combined with relatively marginal habitat and forage as well as poor connectedness to other populations brought about the demise of the bison in Washington State well before American settlement and well before the notorious wasteful slaughter of the herds on the high plains in the later part of the 1800s.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

Well they only had to shoot "Minute of Buffalo" back then... wink

Come to think of it, I had a rifle like that once. For a very short period of time... grin

I has a Ruger boat paddle 223 that wouldn't shoot that good. Just made a minute of buffalo herd. I didn't keep it long either.
That find is really something to marvel about. Thanks.
Re: Minute of Bison

I wonder what was the standard of the day back then for "arrowhead and shaft" runout?

Can you picture a bunch of Indians sitting around a campfire arguing and tossing insults over arrowhead size......arrowhead seating depth......which lashing is best.......heart shot vs neck shot vs Tejas heart shot.

Bring it down, youre a hero.

If it ran off, over the next horizon, you're bow musta been shooting .270 as I understand it.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Pete E
Much later, at least early 1800's. This was in NW Washington. A few ships were putting into Puget sound around 1800 but it was likely quite a few years later before iron arrow heads were generally available.

Thanks..I know some of the tribes towards Mexico were working precious metals after contact with the Spaniards ect, but I'd didn't know how far /fast that knowledge spread north.

Did any of the tribes learn to smelt/work iron, or did they obtain it from the European settlers?
Interesting angle of penetration suggests a shot or spear from above, like a tree of ledge.

There is a possibility this could be a lower thoracic vertebrae from and extinct bison antiquus. My only clue to that is the broad dorsal on the spinous process.

Here's a couple vertebrae from a juvenile:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First you show up here with pics of y,alls fun you have been having not to mention the good company your keeping, then you go and find some thing like this! Go buy a lottery ticket! But for heaven sakes don't tell us when you win the jealousy will probably cause me to have a stroke.
Originally Posted by WillARights
Very Sound advice Blue

They only need a tiny piece of it to date it.

Hack it off yourself.

Talk to them over email,and send them pics of it.

Then send them a tiny hunk.

Done.

Cattle? Mustang? Steppe Bison? Wooly Mammoth? Mormon?

Short faced bear?, grizzly bear?, yogi bear? Saber tooth tiger?

Actually WillARights you may have hit a home run there as it could well be from a Wooly Mammoth as there is a record of a Wooly Mammoth being found near here about thirty or forty years ago up near Sequim. So they were known to have frequented the area.
I think that flattened spinal process is not a deformation, but rather just a hint at the location or position of that vertebrae along the spine, of whatever species this is.

Vertebrae are not uniform, as different muscles, and connective tissue attach, requiring different shaped boney projections.

That being said, my curiosity is peaked. Maybe some of the docs, or phys therapists here can speak on it.
Just read that somebody else beat me to it. I've been looking at bison and elk vertebrae for the last hour... lol
If is IS a bison vertebrae, we're talking 10,000+ years old...
Rattler,

That is about as good as it gets right there. Around here I would say it was the result of a Pawnee or Sioux running their pony along side a buffler and making a DRT shot with their favorite bow.

Hang on to it and be cautious of letting any academics "study" it. Things get lost quite easily.
If it is from the Bison Latifrons, as the one in the picture on page 8, then we're back 20,000+ years.
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen Rattler, helluva find bud.

After finding that how did you get back to Scottf's?
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

I would conclude not true due to the projectile point shape. It is not Paleo-like, rather it has more modern shape that has a subconvex base and is side notched. But then, I am no expert...just a casual projectile point collector.
It is similar shape (different material) to the one cited. That one is from a bison latifro, which is over 20,000 years old.

Ask Ken Howell. I'm sure he wrote a story when that caliber projectile came out... grin
Just make sure it isn't a discard from the ancient artifact making class that Scott gave a few years back.
Originally Posted by roundoak

I would conclude not true due to the projectile point shape. It is not Paleo-like, rather it has more modern shape that has a subconvex base and is side notched. But then, I am no expert...just a casual projectile point collector.

That is correct, though.

The point is middle Archaic Era. 4000-5000 years old.
Very cool find!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That is correct, though.

The point is middle Archaic Era. 4000-5000 years old.
If the point is 4-5,000 years old, it would then lead to the assumption that it is bison occidentalis, the predecessor to the bison bison. (modern bison)
Man, that is so cool! I could only wish...
This place is certainly an interesting one to hang about.

FASCINATING tutelage, fellows....

Keep it comin' !
The dean of the Graduate School of Anthropology at Washington State University, Dr. William Andrefsky, is an expert in Northwest Lithic technology. Just for kicks, I sent him an email with a link to this thread.

http://libarts.wsu.edu/anthro/faculty/andrefsky.html

Pardon my ignorance, but if it is bison... how does that automatically get us back 10k years?

I did go back a re-read but am not connecting the dots.
Very cool find, 2,000 -4,000 years old maybe from a bear? I talked along time ago to a guy that hunts arrow heads here in Michigan, he found about the same thing as you did I seen a pic of it, he had a friend at U of M here check it out, turned out it was human about 3,000 years old! if you neeed a place to store it while your on your walk about, Pm me! grin
The dean of the Graduate School of Anthropology at Washington State University, Dr. William Andrefsky, is an expert in Northwest Lithic technology. Just for kicks, I sent him an email with a link to this thread.

It will be quite interesting to see what he says. I already have a very good idea. But will wait to see what his reply is. wink
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Pardon my ignorance, but if it is bison... how does that automatically get us back 10k years?

Not automatically, but not many modern bison historically in western Washington, but 10,000 years ago, the bison antiquus roamed the area. And 20,000 years ago the bison latifrons roamed and both were hunted by prehistoric man.

The bison occidentalis was also considered by some scientists to be a smaller subspecies of antiquus and it died out about 5,000 years ago.

Not automatically, but not many modern bison historically in western Washington, but 10,000 years ago, the bison antiquus roamed the area. And 20,000 years ago the bison latifrons roamed and both were hunted by prehistoric man.

The bison occidentalis was also considered by some scientists to be a smaller subspecies of antiquus and it died out about 5,000 years ago.

Gotcha. That was my only guess was a habitat/range issue. OP is from Montana but found in a salmon stream, I was guessing further west wink
Cool stuff, I love learning.
That is really an awesome find!

Talk about a piece of history...err a pre-history that is. Wow!

Gotcha. That was my only guess was a habitat/range issue. OP is from Montana but found in a salmon stream, I was guessing further west wink

OP has been visiting Scott F, who lives in western Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. Many of us peek on on ScottF and now Rattler in a voyeuristic sort of way.
That is just too cool. Any luck placing the arrow head by style?
Very impressive.
That is an amazing find!
Don't know if it's been said yet, but that's more of a spear point vs an arrow head I would guess.

Some of you guys (huntsman being one of them) know a heck of a lot more than me, but most people presume they're all arrow heads when in fact most arrow heads are fairly small.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Everyone is assuming that this is the shot that put down the critter. Consider the possibility that the animal was downed by another shot and this was just a kill shot. Take a look at this pic of a buffalo skeleton. Because of the length of the side and top bone, it looks to have come from either the neck or the lumbar part of the spine. I can't find a pic detailed enough to determine which although I'm thinking lumbar. A couple possible scenarios:
If it was the neck, a hunter could have easily walked up to a downed animal and shot it in the back of the neck.
If it's the spine, its possible that several hunters walked up and shot it with this one hitting it in the rear of the spine.
It's also possible that the point could have been attached to a small spear designed for that purpose rather than an arrow.

[Linked Image]
Sheridan, bring it to Quemado in August. Archaeologist son will be with me. He did the majority of his undergrad work cataloging all the bison bones at Texas Archaeological Research Lab. And they had at least three years worth! And trust me. He is not interested in obtaining it or any artifacts. Last thing he wants is more old stuff to deal with!!!
alright cause i have lost internet once already and not sure im gonna have it again for long ill fess up.....

i didnt find it today, Bev did in a box while she was going through stuff Scott got it awhile back supposedly it is out of a serious Plains Indian collectors collection after he died and the family sold it off....supposedly everything else in the collection was above board and not fakes though Scott has figured its probably a fake for years...Scott dared me to post that i found it crazy

looking over it today i told him from everything i can see looking it over and getting in real close with my endoscope ive told him im guessing based on everything i see there is a better than 50-50 shot its the real deal and not faked cause if its faked its been done way past the level needed to rip off some tourist cause the point definitely went into the bone while it was alive or shortly after the animal died....that point is for sure what punched the hole.....

a couple people that have seen the pics have said the same one individual even was familiar with the style of the point being that from some of the tribes from the Texas/Oklahoma area....i and 3 others have told him he needs to get it in front of someone that really knows what they are looking at

Cool find Rattler, did ya hook any fish fer supper?

Gunner
Ha ha! I sent son the link and he said that thing lives a long time after being wounded! Good one Sheridan!

Back in the early 90's on one of our road projects in eastern Williamson county there was found in a middle archaic site the grave of this native woman who took a pedernales projectile point thru one eye socket. Point was sticking out back of her head!
I find hundreds of points every year, but the nomenclature is so varied by spatial and temporal boundaries. As *general* rule, the bigger projectiles are spears, and counter-weighted atlatl heads.
However, I have found some smaller (1-1/4") Big Sandy projectiles that were supposedly used for eastern buffalo 5500-7500 BC.

I'm not sure about the mineralization of bones in your water table.

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ha ha! I sent son the link and he said that thing lives a long time after being wounded! Good one Sheridan!

Back in the early 90's on one of our road projects in eastern Williamson county there was found in a middle archaic site the grave of this native woman who took a pedernales projectile point thru one eye socket. Point was sticking out back of her head!

actually what your seeing on the top of the vertebrae is some glue that was used to hold it in and by some miricle aged to look like the bone....if you look inside the spinal calumn there is no healing and though its kinda hard to see with my pics cause i dont have a true macro lens but that point definitely went through that vertebrae when the bone was alive ore soon after death before starting to dry out cause its been splintered like live bone
alright cause i have lost internet once already and not sure im gonna have it again for long ill fess up.....

i didnt find it today, Bev did in a box while she was going through stuff Scott got it awhile back supposedly it is out of a serious Plains Indian collectors collection after he died and the family sold it off....supposedly everything else in the collection was above board and not fakes though Scott has figured its probably a fake for years...Scott dared me to post that i found it crazy

Sorry, rattler, but I am not amused by the ruse.

looking over it today i told him from everything i can see looking it over and getting in real close with my endoscope ive told him im guessing based on everything i see there is a better than 50-50 shot its the real deal and not faked cause if its faked its been done way past the level needed to rip off some tourist cause the point definitely went into the bone while it was alive or shortly after the animal died....that point is for sure what punched the hole.....

a couple people that have seen the pics have said the same one individual even was familiar with the style of the point being that from some of the tribes from the Texas/Oklahoma area....i and 3 others have told him he needs to get it in front of someone that really knows what they are looking at

sonofa......

smile
Yeah, I don't get why people feel the need to play games and/or tell lies.

Sorry, rattler, but I am not amused by the ruse.

dont care.....prolly actually got more help from portraying it as a ruse than i would have if ild titled it "look what Scott had in a box in the basement" harmless joke but through it all i and several other fire members are pretty positive there is a good chance its the real deal and not the fake Scott and his wife have pretty well assumed it was.......

C�mon man...
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

might be because ive met around 70 of the regulars on here in person so far and consider them friends.....didnt do anything i would do to my brother or any friend i see in person all the time including the fessing up after slinging a lil bullchit.....its also why i put it here instead of throwing it in the artifacts thread thats been going on forever cause of the chance it may be a fake....
I'll bring it to Quemado. It is starting to look like it may be real but I have never known for sure. The point looks to be from the part of the country the collector lived during most of his life. If it is real it belongs in a museum not in a box in the basement.

Sorry for the trick guys. I really thought someone would call us on it but we even fooled VAnimrod. He called shortly after I posted. After hearing the whole story he thinks it is real.
Lighten up girls....
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

Scott, look forward to seeing it. It will be interesting!

It was a joke. I rally thought someone would have called us on it within the first ten minutes.

In the flip side, I have owned it for over thirty years and learned more about it today than I have found in all that time. It is starting to look like it may be real and worth several dollars.
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

I am not a stiff shirt, mister. What disappointed me was the fact Scott did not double-dare rattler. grin
I'm interested in looking at it in Quemado.

Kent
I have been told that most of the small "bird" points were actually used on anything up to larger game.
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Just make sure it isn't a discard from the ancient artifact making class that Scott gave a few years back.

Ding Ding Ding^^^^^^^^^^^ Wasn't too far off..... grin

I am not a stiff shirt, mister. What disappointed me was the fact Scott did not double-dare rattler. grin

Ok! I concur! Even a protocol skip and go straight to a triple dog dare would have been acceptable too!
smile
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I have been told that most of the small "bird" points were actually used on anything up to larger game.

True.

But that was way recent. The Indians didn't have bows and arrows for a very long period of time before the gun came to their hands.

Before that, they used atl atl, or spears. Or drove 'em off cliffs.
You can buy these for $25 bucks on eBay.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking it could be fake...but what kind of complete asswhole would start a bogus thread?

I now have my answer.

Didn't have to. I suggested it, he grinned and jumped on the idea. I just watched, laughed, then learned a BUNCH as folks who know a lot more about this subject that I posted.

I have been told by someone I respect that you would also be someone to show it to.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking it could be fake...but what kind of complete asswhole would start a bogus thread?

I now have my answer.

A bogus thread on the 24hr Campfire?!?! Well I'm certainly shocked????

NOT!
I am kinda bummed out that he did not find it for real, other than that, no harm no foul. miles

It was a joke. I rally thought someone would have called us on it within the first ten minutes.

In the flip side, I have owned it for over thirty years and learned more about it today than I have found in all that time. It is starting to look like it may be real and worth several dollars.

You and Rattler are having way too much together. cool
It is also interesting that I have found flint and chert arrowheads in Central OR that are just a little smaller that the one in the bone.

As per the comments about the hunter retreating the point I have a nephew who can knap a point in less than thirty minutes.
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
]

You and Rattler are having way too much together. cool

Guilty! grin

I now have my answer.

yep the kinda arsehole that has no problem showing up and meeting other members from here face to face to put my money where my mouth is.....as ive said above i aint scared to go out and spend my money to travel and meet people from the 'fire.....been to 3 get togethers on here that were open to any one, been on a "private hunt" with 4 other members and met a number like Scott one on one....made the post knowing im gonna face some of the people i fooled for a bit....
[

I kinda thought about a call out...... But figgering scottf and rattler was involved there wouldn't be any wool yanked over our eyes..

Only reason I would question it, is the bone looks too fresh. Hell, I've found bone in my DRY area injun camp that is totally mineralized/petrified......
yes!

I'm quite sure the spacing between the individual ribs would or could've dictated projectile size. Hence my mention of the several 'baby' Big Sandy points. Which are about an 1" wide.

One skillful and lucky thrust and a vital operation could be disrupted in the boiler room of a big beast with just one little well placed flint point. Absolutely.

Many big, elaborate "spear heads" are actually knives
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[

I kinda thought about a call out...... But figgering scottf and rattler was involved there wouldn't be any wool yanked over our eyes..

Only reason I would question it, is the bone looks too fresh. Hell, I've found bone in my DRY area injun camp that is totally mineralized/petrified......

depends on the age.....if its less than a thousand years old it wouldnt be petrified.....as i told someone in a pm ive seen bones from calvery horses that were killed by anthrax from the end of the indian wars come out of the ground looking to be just a few years old....but i knew the history of the site when it erroaded out of the river bank when the river shifted....what the bone does depends on 100 different things....

from the pictures the only thing that makes it look faked is the look of healed bone around the point....that "healed bone" is actually glue and not bone that was done to keep the two pieces together before Scott got it and it was sold to him as them being glued in so that wasnt hidden by the seller....just happens that after so long the glue has aged to look kinda like the bone....i swear on a stack of bibles if you have it infront of your there are a number of things that trigger you to think it could be real...

im not even 100% on it being real but given the known for sure history of the piece ild bet there is a better than 50% chance its real.....
Yup depends on soil make up!! Some areas bone won't last 50 years in soil. Others it replaced with minerals in 25 years!!!
With you two boys Spinnin' tales like this I'm thinkin' that maybe you shouldn't be playing together. wink at least you didn't see Mrs. Scottf in the bar making googly eyes with another guy. grin

Regardless of how it was found the thing is still way up on the cool scale. You two just remember ya'll got one coming.
aint like i havent taken a hook bad at times when someone else tossed it out in the past crazy laugh
Take it to Pawn Stars they have experts in every field at their disposal.
Yup depends on soil make up!! Some areas bone won't last 50 years in soil. Others it replaced with minerals in 25 years!!!
as much stuff as I hunt for and pick up, any bits or pieces of bone, even teeth- I have yet to be so lucky to find any of that material.

Organic material is just consumed so rapidly in the humid climate and wet soils we have here. The best mineral displacement around here is within a dry cave now that was a wet cave back then.

But you still aint gonna find no fancy adz with wood handle and beadwork. That's just fantasy. This is Moldville City.

I now have my answer.

Lighten up fer cryin out loud....geez
as much stuff as I hunt for and pick up, any bits or pieces of bone, even teeth- I have yet to be so lucky to find any of that material.

Organic material is just consumed so rapidly in the humid climate and wet soils we have here. The best mineral displacement around here is within a dry cave now that was a wet cave back then.

But you still aint gonna find no fancy adz with wood handle and beadwork. That's just fantasy. This is Moldville City.

up where ive lived most of my life the soils are high in clay often low in organics other than the top soil and the water in the watertable is alkaline.....roughly 100 miles southeast of where i lived they found a indians kill site, critter killed was a mammoth so that shows yah how long bone can last without turning to stone in the right conditions....been a damn long time since mammoths were walking around eastern Montana

up where ive lived most of my life the soils are high in clay often low in organics other than the top soil and the water in the watertable is alkaline.....roughly 100 miles southeast of where i lived they found a indians kill site, critter killed was a mammoth so that shows yah how long bone can last without turning to stone in the right conditions....been a damn long time since mammoths were walking around eastern Montana
Ingwe probably killed that mammoth. wink
never heard if they found clothing remains.....not sure how long a leopard print thong would last when buried up there.....
aint like i havent taken a hook bad at times when someone else tossed it out in the past crazy laugh

I'm gonna have to plan something special just fer you. smirk
laugh

Maybe he was trying out a mammoth thong first. laugh
[/quote] Ingwe probably killed that mammoth. wink [/quote]

That bastid!
With a 7x57mm spear.

eek grin
Ahhhhhhw man, I thought you guys found some serious $hit there! Got me you jackwagon. laf'n
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[

That is one of the reasons I thought we would get called. However it makes a lot more sense when you know where it really came from, Southern OK or Northern TX.

BTW. West of her where it is the wettest part of the US they uncovered a native village covered it wet peat. It is old, real old but the reed baskets, clothing, and small animal bones are remarkably in great shape.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
With a 7x57mm spear.

Pink 270 spear.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

I'm gonna have to plan something special just fer you. smirk

What the heck, I can't live forever. wink

FWIW we laughed pretty hard all day.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
With a 7x57mm spear.

Pink 270 spear.
grin laugh
I am already among the ranks of Turd Like, don't know why I keep trying so hard.
Well,I'm down here "smoking a wet turd in hell." I'm just being myself,just like you are. wink smile

Clearly vertebral.

Well, from all the ones I've butchered, I'd say you're spot on. laugh
Originally Posted by eh76

I now have my answer.

Lighten up fer cryin out loud....geez

Yeah whatever. Maybe Rattlebag will post a thread of his untimely demise next. It's all in fun right?
It was my idea and we did it just for fun with no intention of upsetting anybody. The bone is real, the point is real, the artifact may be real, we just did not find it here today.

Sorry if I upset you. Just got tired of all the doom and gloom that often settled here on the Fire.
And had you not dunnit, many here would not appreciate the endless intelligence that Snyper possesses. Pretty sharp feller, that.
I appreciate a good joke as much as anybody. I just don't know what made this ruse funny? One of those sounded like a good idea at the time things, I suppose...
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
And had you not dunnit, many here would not appreciate the endless intelligence that Snyper possesses. Pretty sharp feller, that.

feller? give 'em a break. He stuck his neck out for Rattlebag and his vertebra.
And I'm looking like a bigger dork than normal for responding to the first post instead of reading the entire thread. laugh

Gunner
wow. i got other schit to worry about out in Real Worldland. don't have time to get all worked up over a joke.

life must be awesome if ya got time and energy to bitch about this sorta stuff.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt
wow. i got other schit to worry about out in Real Worldland. don't have time to get all worked up over a joke.

life must be awesome if ya got time and energy to bitch about this sorta stuff.

Chill out. That's supposed to be funny. smile
yup, that's what i was saying. it's funny. wasn't meaning you anyway. smile
was agreeing with ya. all good.

some people on here would get mad over anything.

For sure. This is no reason for anyone to get their underwear in a wad.

WOULD NOT!!!!! mad

wink grin
OK, now for the truth. The buffalo didn't really die. He is alive and well living in a retirement resort in Florida.
let's fight about the BC of the arrowhead next lol

it might actually BE B.C.

OK, now for the truth. The buffalo didn't really die. He is alive and well living in a retirement resort in Florida.

The buffalo ,,,,, is,,,,, Jewish????? Probably a banker too!!!
And a Mason!
Yep, yep, and yep. A Jewish banker that is 32nd degree Mason.

Actually the buffalo looks a lot like my ex wife but if you shaved my ex and the buffalo put on three hundred pounds you could take them for twins. The would be about the same age to only the ex might look a little older.
A lie on the Fire, imagine that.
I know. Rick will probably ban me for life.
Do you do it frequently?
Isn't once enough to deserve being cast out into the lake of Fire?
Admitted lier makes all post suspect. Just sayin.
Dic move.
Yep. First time anyone tried to pull a joke or told a whopper on the Fire.
Originally Posted by grovey
Dic move.

Were the posts true?
All I know is if that Archaeology prof from WSU comes a-looking, I'm sending him to Quemado...
Originally Posted by creasy
Admitted lier makes all post suspect. Just sayin.

You're clueless as to just how many here really don't give a fat rat's azz what you think, or are "just sayin', lunchpail.

Per Kieth, LIGHTEN the pharg up....

GTC

GTC
All I know is if that Archaeology prof from WSU comes a-looking, I'm sending him to Quemado...

Why not. They just might have fun.
WOULD TOO!!!

Mark
I'll bring it to Quemado. It is starting to look like it may be real but I have never known for sure. The point looks to be from the part of the country the collector lived during most of his life. If it is real it belongs in a museum not in a box in the basement.

Sorry for the trick guys. I really thought someone would call us on it but we even fooled VAnimrod. He called shortly after I posted. After hearing the whole story he thinks it is real.

I'm ok with the joke, but what I REALLY want to know is, Did Brother Dave ever pay the child support he owes!!!???

grin

Sycamore
Not on all ten kids.
Originally Posted by creasy
A lie on the Fire, imagine that.

Yup, because stories told around a real campfire are always on the up and up. crazy

You got me guys.
Scott dared me to post that i found it...

Well, what if Scott dared you to jump off the Tacoma Narrows bridge?

What then, huh?
wink
kersplaaaaashhh ??
It was my idea and we did it just for fun with no intention of upsetting anybody. The bone is real, the point is real, the artifact may be real, we just did not find it here today.

Sorry if I upset you. Just got tired of all the doom and gloom that often settled here on the Fire.

That was a mistake.
Very cool.
I think it is a cool artifact and don't care where you got it. The joke was well done, funny and pulled me in just like everybody else. I usually read the whole thread before I post. Glad I did on this one.

lol, me too! it got me good, I was thinking wow that is a find of a lifetime! heck it still could be Ruse or not!
Good one rattler! those who have gotten pissy are just mad they fell for it and have no sense of humor. too funny!
Pretty poor penetration, user must have been shooting a Mathews or Hoyt or one of the other lesser brand name bows. For a cut on contact head it didn�t do well. May have been made by Muzzy.

Anyway that is a very cool find. That will make for a neat display.
probably an atlatl dart. more like the 30 06 of the time. an arrowhead would have been a 270:)
so it was a fake? hey thats funny. thats friggen andy kaufman funny right there. yep, ROTMFFLMAO funny.
Good freakin' grief.

The artifact is very cool. It's not a fake, at least as far as it's authenticity. Scott and rattler may have jerked a few chains as to where and when it was found, but it's clearly not a fake.

Lighten up.
something to keep in mind. Those who laugh last.......think slowest!

Good one and great artifact.
well they got me hook line and sinker or is that STINKER cool
only thing that tweaked a little was type of soil it was found in in that part of Wash. State but not having been there i let it pass.
was some good in knowledge come out of it all grin

? what was they drinking round their fire yesterday ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

norm
We will never tell Norm. wink
We will never tell Norm. wink

NEVER expected a confession , just letting the ? sink into the masses on the fire. The speculation on here will do the rest wink

norm
There's nothing funny about dishonesty.

Travis
Originally Posted by rem141r
so it was a fake? hey thats funny. thats friggen andy kaufman funny right there. yep, ROTMFFLMAO funny.

Read the whole thing. No one has said for sure if it is the real thing or a fake. I have owned it thirty years and I know where it was for many years before I got it. The only joke was we did not find it here on my place yesterday.
Gents,.......

fire me of your animal bone of choice, and the point you want "imbedded" in it.

Please include the angle that you want it intersecting at, and the depth of penetration desired ( golly blush )

Guaranteed satisfaction with the results assured.

An afternoon with the magnifiers on, my inleting chisels and scrapers, my 2 Fordom Tools, and some cold libations handy, that "Artifact" is no real challenge to replicate.

I've never TRIED aging bone, ....but so doing by common chemical means is probably not rocket science.

Hell of a NEAT way to display an interesting point, come to think of it.

GTC
Hell Cross. My body is full of aging bones. So,e of them feel worse the the buffalo bone looks. cry
Has anyone named the artifact yet?

How about Leslie? smile
I think it was pretty piss poor. Once people start going out their way to HELP, like the guy that emailed a professor or some such to look at this, it has gone over the top.

See, once people start doing this to help, out of the goodness of their own heart, it has gone too far.
But it was funny.......not really, but that's what we've been told.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

See, once people start doing this to help, out of the goodness of their own heart, it has gone too far.

and part of the reason i started fessing up when i did....good portion of the help offered was when the internet was down at the farm.....a few people shot me pm's offering help and i told them it was a ruse right off and didnt keep it going in any of the private conversations.....hell half the chit i saw that started making me think it could be the real deal was well after the first post as i didnt get out the digital microscope till bout an hour after the first post
hell figured i was gonna get busted with the second go around of pics when i had the ruler in the pics as its way to big to be from an elk like i said it prolly was.....when it was first handed to me i knew it had to be from a bison right off....

What then, huh?
wink

Better hurry, before it blows down!

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Sycamore

What then, huh?
wink

Better hurry, before it blows down!

Sycamore

depends how hot the day is......
Everything I read on the innernet is true, cuz I believe all of it.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
is that a killing blow????? I've dropped boo in their tracks with similar shot..... couse I was using 125gr thunder heads smile
in the neck it would prolly be a killing shot hitting the nerves before they spread to the heart/lungs.....below where those branch off it would atleast be a paralyzing shot
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Like being dishonest about gettin' married?

Read the whole thing. No one has said for sure if it is the real thing or a fake. I have owned it thirty years and I know where it was for many years before I got it. The only joke was we did not find it here on my place yesterday.

i didn't have the patience. i decided to read the first few, then the last few, make a hurried judgement and then spew my righteous indignation. saves time.
How about grizz bone.

i didn't have the patience. i decided to read the first few, then the last few, make a hurried judgement and then spew my righteous indignation. saves time.

Lovet it! grin

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Like being dishonest about gettin' married?

Laffin
Moose?
Ha Ha, Be the last time I look at a thread from either one of you! yes theres pranks on the fire but I do like to learn stuff on here from time to time! so GFY
Originally Posted by fish head
Has anyone named the artifact yet?

Y
How about Leslie? smile

Today I named it. It is now called The Bone Of Contention.
I guess I got fooled and now feel the fool.
Was showing my 90 year old Dad as we shared lunch and telling him how cool I thought it was, now I find it's BS.
Thanks
some of ya really need to buy a fresh bottle of Midol

I now have my answer.

Funny. Almost all of your posts are bogus.
© 24hourcampfire