M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is an amazing find!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if it's been said yet, but that's more of a spear point vs an arrow head I would guess.

Some of you guys (huntsman being one of them) know a heck of a lot more than me, but most people presume they're all arrow heads when in fact most arrow heads are fairly small.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone is assuming that this is the shot that put down the critter. Consider the possibility that the animal was downed by another shot and this was just a kill shot. Take a look at this pic of a buffalo skeleton. Because of the length of the side and top bone, it looks to have come from either the neck or the lumbar part of the spine. I can't find a pic detailed enough to determine which although I'm thinking lumbar. A couple possible scenarios:
If it was the neck, a hunter could have easily walked up to a downed animal and shot it in the back of the neck.
If it's the spine, its possible that several hunters walked up and shot it with this one hitting it in the rear of the spine.
It's also possible that the point could have been attached to a small spear designed for that purpose rather than an arrow.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sheridan, bring it to Quemado in August. Archaeologist son will be with me. He did the majority of his undergrad work cataloging all the bison bones at Texas Archaeological Research Lab. And they had at least three years worth! And trust me. He is not interested in obtaining it or any artifacts. Last thing he wants is more old stuff to deal with!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
alright cause i have lost internet once already and not sure im gonna have it again for long ill fess up.....

i didnt find it today, Bev did in a box while she was going through stuff Scott got it awhile back supposedly it is out of a serious Plains Indian collectors collection after he died and the family sold it off....supposedly everything else in the collection was above board and not fakes though Scott has figured its probably a fake for years...Scott dared me to post that i found it crazy

looking over it today i told him from everything i can see looking it over and getting in real close with my endoscope ive told him im guessing based on everything i see there is a better than 50-50 shot its the real deal and not faked cause if its faked its been done way past the level needed to rip off some tourist cause the point definitely went into the bone while it was alive or shortly after the animal died....that point is for sure what punched the hole.....

a couple people that have seen the pics have said the same one individual even was familiar with the style of the point being that from some of the tribes from the Texas/Oklahoma area....i and 3 others have told him he needs to get it in front of someone that really knows what they are looking at

Last edited by rattler; 06/09/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool find Rattler, did ya hook any fish fer supper?

Gunner

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ha ha! I sent son the link and he said that thing lives a long time after being wounded! Good one Sheridan!

Back in the early 90's on one of our road projects in eastern Williamson county there was found in a middle archaic site the grave of this native woman who took a pedernales projectile point thru one eye socket. Point was sticking out back of her head!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/09/14.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I find hundreds of points every year, but the nomenclature is so varied by spatial and temporal boundaries. As *general* rule, the bigger projectiles are spears, and counter-weighted atlatl heads.
However, I have found some smaller (1-1/4") Big Sandy projectiles that were supposedly used for eastern buffalo 5500-7500 BC.

I'm not sure about the mineralization of bones in your water table.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ha ha! I sent son the link and he said that thing lives a long time after being wounded! Good one Sheridan!

Back in the early 90's on one of our road projects in eastern Williamson county there was found in a middle archaic site the grave of this native woman who took a pedernales projectile point thru one eye socket. Point was sticking out back of her head!

actually what your seeing on the top of the vertebrae is some glue that was used to hold it in and by some miricle aged to look like the bone....if you look inside the spinal calumn there is no healing and though its kinda hard to see with my pics cause i dont have a true macro lens but that point definitely went through that vertebrae when the bone was alive ore soon after death before starting to dry out cause its been splintered like live bone

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
alright cause i have lost internet once already and not sure im gonna have it again for long ill fess up.....

i didnt find it today, Bev did in a box while she was going through stuff Scott got it awhile back supposedly it is out of a serious Plains Indian collectors collection after he died and the family sold it off....supposedly everything else in the collection was above board and not fakes though Scott has figured its probably a fake for years...Scott dared me to post that i found it crazy

Sorry, rattler, but I am not amused by the ruse.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

looking over it today i told him from everything i can see looking it over and getting in real close with my endoscope ive told him im guessing based on everything i see there is a better than 50-50 shot its the real deal and not faked cause if its faked its been done way past the level needed to rip off some tourist cause the point definitely went into the bone while it was alive or shortly after the animal died....that point is for sure what punched the hole.....

a couple people that have seen the pics have said the same one individual even was familiar with the style of the point being that from some of the tribes from the Texas/Oklahoma area....i and 3 others have told him he needs to get it in front of someone that really knows what they are looking at

sonofa......

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I don't get why people feel the need to play games and/or tell lies.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

Sorry, rattler, but I am not amused by the ruse.

dont care.....prolly actually got more help from portraying it as a ruse than i would have if ild titled it "look what Scott had in a box in the basement" harmless joke but through it all i and several other fire members are pretty positive there is a good chance its the real deal and not the fake Scott and his wife have pretty well assumed it was.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

CοΏ½mon man...

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

might be because ive met around 70 of the regulars on here in person so far and consider them friends.....didnt do anything i would do to my brother or any friend i see in person all the time including the fessing up after slinging a lil bullchit.....its also why i put it here instead of throwing it in the artifacts thread thats been going on forever cause of the chance it may be a fake....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll bring it to Quemado. It is starting to look like it may be real but I have never known for sure. The point looks to be from the part of the country the collector lived during most of his life. If it is real it belongs in a museum not in a box in the basement.

Sorry for the trick guys. I really thought someone would call us on it but we even fooled VAnimrod. He called shortly after I posted. After hearing the whole story he thinks it is real.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lighten up girls....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

Scott, look forward to seeing it. It will be interesting!

Founder

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

It was a joke. I rally thought someone would have called us on it within the first ten minutes.

In the flip side, I have owned it for over thirty years and learned more about it today than I have found in all that time. It is starting to look like it may be real and worth several dollars.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

I am not a stiff shirt, mister. What disappointed me was the fact Scott did not double-dare rattler. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,005 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,980
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.