Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm interested in looking at it in Quemado.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been told that most of the small "bird" points were actually used on anything up to larger game.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Just make sure it isn't a discard from the ancient artifact making class that Scott gave a few years back.

Ding Ding Ding^^^^^^^^^^^ Wasn't too far off..... grin

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

I am not a stiff shirt, mister. What disappointed me was the fact Scott did not double-dare rattler. grin

Ok! I concur! Even a protocol skip and go straight to a triple dog dare would have been acceptable too!
smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I have been told that most of the small "bird" points were actually used on anything up to larger game.

True.

But that was way recent. The Indians didn't have bows and arrows for a very long period of time before the gun came to their hands.

Before that, they used atl atl, or spears. Or drove 'em off cliffs.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can buy these for $25 bucks on eBay.

In the back of my mind I kept thinking it could be fake...but what kind of complete asswhole would start a bogus thread?

I now have my answer.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Some of the stiff shirts on here just need to lighten up! Geez it was a joke! Laugh!!!!

I am not a stiff shirt, mister. What disappointed me was the fact Scott did not double-dare rattler. grin

Didn't have to. I suggested it, he grinned and jumped on the idea. I just watched, laughed, then learned a BUNCH as folks who know a lot more about this subject that I posted.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I have been told by someone I respect that you would also be someone to show it to.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

In the back of my mind I kept thinking it could be fake...but what kind of complete asswhole would start a bogus thread?

I now have my answer.

A bogus thread on the 24hr Campfire?!?! Well I'm certainly shocked????

NOT!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/09/14.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am kinda bummed out that he did not find it for real, other than that, no harm no foul. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Yeah, I don't get why people feel the need to play games and/or tell lies.

It was a joke. I rally thought someone would have called us on it within the first ten minutes.

In the flip side, I have owned it for over thirty years and learned more about it today than I have found in all that time. It is starting to look like it may be real and worth several dollars.

You and Rattler are having way too much together. cool

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is also interesting that I have found flint and chert arrowheads in Central OR that are just a little smaller that the one in the bone.

As per the comments about the hunter retreating the point I have a nephew who can knap a point in less than thirty minutes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
]

You and Rattler are having way too much together. cool

Guilty! grin

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

I now have my answer.

yep the kinda arsehole that has no problem showing up and meeting other members from here face to face to put my money where my mouth is.....as ive said above i aint scared to go out and spend my money to travel and meet people from the 'fire.....been to 3 get togethers on here that were open to any one, been on a "private hunt" with 4 other members and met a number like Scott one on one....made the post knowing im gonna face some of the people i fooled for a bit....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[
It was a joke. I rally thought someone would have called us on it within the first ten minutes.

I kinda thought about a call out...... But figgering scottf and rattler was involved there wouldn't be any wool yanked over our eyes..

Only reason I would question it, is the bone looks too fresh. Hell, I've found bone in my DRY area injun camp that is totally mineralized/petrified......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes!

I'm quite sure the spacing between the individual ribs would or could've dictated projectile size. Hence my mention of the several 'baby' Big Sandy points. Which are about an 1" wide.

One skillful and lucky thrust and a vital operation could be disrupted in the boiler room of a big beast with just one little well placed flint point. Absolutely.

Many big, elaborate "spear heads" are actually knives

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
[

I kinda thought about a call out...... But figgering scottf and rattler was involved there wouldn't be any wool yanked over our eyes..

Only reason I would question it, is the bone looks too fresh. Hell, I've found bone in my DRY area injun camp that is totally mineralized/petrified......

depends on the age.....if its less than a thousand years old it wouldnt be petrified.....as i told someone in a pm ive seen bones from calvery horses that were killed by anthrax from the end of the indian wars come out of the ground looking to be just a few years old....but i knew the history of the site when it erroaded out of the river bank when the river shifted....what the bone does depends on 100 different things....

from the pictures the only thing that makes it look faked is the look of healed bone around the point....that "healed bone" is actually glue and not bone that was done to keep the two pieces together before Scott got it and it was sold to him as them being glued in so that wasnt hidden by the seller....just happens that after so long the glue has aged to look kinda like the bone....i swear on a stack of bibles if you have it infront of your there are a number of things that trigger you to think it could be real...

im not even 100% on it being real but given the known for sure history of the piece ild bet there is a better than 50% chance its real.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yup depends on soil make up!! Some areas bone won't last 50 years in soil. Others it replaced with minerals in 25 years!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With you two boys Spinnin' tales like this I'm thinkin' that maybe you shouldn't be playing together. wink at least you didn't see Mrs. Scottf in the bar making googly eyes with another guy. grin

Regardless of how it was found the thing is still way up on the cool scale. You two just remember ya'll got one coming.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
aint like i havent taken a hook bad at times when someone else tossed it out in the past crazy laugh

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,579
Posts18,492,070
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.