Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Seriously? It's Florida!

Actually, it'll depend on the temp and the wind. But yeah, they can be out even when it's pretty cool (for us, anyway).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thermacell?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks swear by them. I just bought one but haven't tried it out yet. I've poisoned myself with DEET for so long I think I'll probably go through withdraw if I don't slather it on next time I'm in a stand.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im gonna buy one for Texas next June, might as well get it early�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wouldn't hurt. I'll let you know when I give mine a try. I'll probably slip out sometime next week. The ladies group at church want to have a Preacher Procured Pork BBQ, so I have my marching orders. And you don't say "no" to the ladies group. Besides, it doesn't take much of an excuse to put me in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cool

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thermacell?

They work, get one!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Blantons is from Ky.

Should be OK…..

Which side was KY on during the War of Northern Oppression?

KY ain't South.

The FL Skeeters will eat you alive. whistle

Kentucky had the distinction of providing two presidents during the WoNO, Jefferson Davis was from Kentucky, so was the other guy.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 06/13/14.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

[Linked Image]

OK except for the French doily style checkering.

Just sayin'. wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry, but you wouldn't catch me dead at a table full of POMs like that.

Good God...Ingwe is an Australian!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I knew something was up as soon as I had to look up what he was talking about.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Sneaky bugger, isn't he. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I didn't think anyone from Montana would talk that way. Bet he puts milk in tea and drinks Fosters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If he posts a picture of himself wearing thongs, stubbies, and a blue singlet...we've got him!

And if he also talks slow like he has only half a brain then he is a Queenslander.

...or Texan.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Nope, just spent enough time with Sub-saharan white Africans grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nope, just spent enough time with Sub-saharan white Africans grin

Doin' what? Drinking tea and learning words like POM?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, yeah�there was that�

Then the buggers ( another word I learned) forced me to go hunting�.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, Ingwe, you're a dog trainer, right? I don't want to hijack this thread any more than it already is, but what is the best dog to train to track but not give voice? Growing up my dad had hounds, but they're bred to bay. I raised and hunted with Chessies years ago, but they're not trackers by any stretch. I was thinking one of the continental utility dogs - you know, Wirehair or Visla or something like that - but not sure if they give voice on a game trail. What do you think?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, yeah�there was that�

Then the buggers ( another word I learned) forced me to go hunting�.

Well, it wasn't all bad, then.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
By the way, Ingwe, you're a dog trainer, right? I don't want to hijack this thread any more than it already is, but what is the best dog to train to track but not give voice? Growing up my dad had hounds, but they're bred to bay. I raised and hunted with Chessies years ago, but they're not trackers by any stretch. I was thinking one of the continental utility dogs - you know, Wirehair or Visla or something like that - but not sure if they give voice on a game trail. What do you think?

A number of dogs, barring hounds, don't give voice on a track. Here are my two faves of all time..the one and only Ingwedog:

[Linked Image]

And Foxy- dachshund X Fox Terrier we used a bunch in Africa.

[Linked Image]

So you see a number of non-traditional breeds work. The key is having an obedient dog, tracking comes naturally to them with minimal guidance.

Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (12savage, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 44 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,292
Posts18,505,267
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.