Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Two questions: Is that an Australian Shepherd (perilously close to the previous conversation!), and what's the rifle Ingwewife is shooting?

Did y'all use the wiener dog to track game?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Sorry, but you wouldn't catch me dead at a table full of POMs like that.

Good God...Ingwe is an Australian!

Nope, just spent enough time with Sub-saharan white Africans grin

Close enough.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
She was a Aussie X Border Collie�truly the dog of a lifetime. She was in on over 50 game recoveries..

[Linked Image]

The rifle is an Interarms Mark X in .30-06 that I 'modified' the stock on. Wearing a 1x4 Leupold

And yes the weiner dog was absolutely GREAT at game tracking. Silent on a track, would bark like hell if he found the game alive, otherwise he would just come and get you and take you to the dead ones. Tracking a gemsbok one day we had a crazed jackal try to eat him. I literally had to kick the jackal off him, and the Ingwe Special got another kill�.

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And Foxy- dachshund X Fox Terrier we used a bunch in Africa.

[Linked Image]

So you see a number of non-traditional breeds work. The key is having an obedient dog, tracking comes naturally to them with minimal guidance.

Reminds me of "Prince" the corgi in Footrot Flats, does he have problems clearing cow pats too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope, this one didn't bother the leavings.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Reminds me of "Prince" the corgi in Footrot Flats, does he have problems clearing cow pats too.

I had a Chessie that couldn't go by a horse-apple without taking a bite. You know what it's like to have a Chessie sitting in a hot dove field, breathing on you with horse poop globbed on its teeth?

Thanks for the info, Ingwe. Great pics, as usual.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One last thing on the dog training. As I always told my students and the cops I worked with,training a dog to track is like training a fish to swim�.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One last thing on the dog training. As I always told my students and the cops I worked with,training a dog to track is like training a fish to swim�.

Makes sense. A friend of mine just retired from the K-9 division of the Florida Game Commission. His German Shorthair would track anything - animal, person, guns, you name it. Smart dog. And a good trainer helps.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As soon as you truly understand exactly how olfaction works in a dog,you just watch him and take notes�.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My biggest issue would be that the dog doesn't try to go in a try to grab hold of something like a wounded pig. I've seen the results of that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trolling here. However, I am intrigued as to the reasons why there is so much love for the 7X57. I have recently decided to purchase my last 30-06. From now on, I am am going to start working my way downward.

7X57 does not seem to me like a really interesting stop along the way, but so many folks seem to be fond of it. If y'all would, could you explain what it is you like about 7X57? I am eager to be convinced.

BTW: Nice rifles.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shaman: may I ask a question first? Is there a .284 caliber round you already like?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm not trolling here. However, I am intrigued as to the reasons why there is so much love for the 7X57. I have recently decided to purchase my last 30-06. From now on, I am am going to start working my way downward.

7X57 does not seem to me like a really interesting stop along the way, but so many folks seem to be fond of it. If y'all would, could you explain what it is you like about 7X57? I am eager to be convinced.

Well, for a start it makes a very good introductory round for those stepping up to 7x64.

smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Heh, heh.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had both. I think it's a whiskey and scotch comparison myself. Let us get to the bottom of things then discuss it, hey?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Shaman, I'm shocked. You of all people should know that attempting to climb higher after reaching the summit is an act of futility.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I've had both. I think it's a whiskey and scotch comparison myself. Let us get to the bottom of things then discuss it, hey?

Man, two different things. Maybe Scotch and Irish Whiskey comparison?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike
Shaman: may I ask a question first? Is there a .284 caliber round you already like?

Actually, no. This is new territory for me. I have a long and abiding dislike for 270 WIN, but it is based solely on prejudice and bigotry. That is about the extent of my lack of experience on the subject.

Last edited by shaman; 06/16/14.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I know, but it should be a good lure for Ingwe.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RevMike

Actually, no. This is new territory for me. I have a long and abiding dislike for 270 WIN, but it is based solely on prejudice and bigotry. That is about the extent of my lack of experience on the subject.

My first piece of advice would be to shoot a 7x57. Soft on the shoulder and tough on game. Big punch in a little case.......... wonder who said that????

Page 9 of 34 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,275
Posts18,505,038
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.