-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did note some folks are selling stocks semi-inletted in the Griffin & Howe pattern, which I assume has bit more drop and would work better for iron sights. That might be the direction I go with it, eventually.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I did note some folks are selling stocks semi-inletted in the Griffin & Howe pattern, which I assume has bit more drop and would work better for iron sights. That might be the direction I go with it, eventually.

The plain, cheap wood that they used causes too many to overlook the terrific shapes of early Husqvarna (M46 small ring and M146 large ring) stocks for iron sight use. Either of those patterns duplicated in decent wood would be near perfection for irons.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Rovering
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

The plain, cheap wood that they used causes too many to overlook the terrific shapes of early Husqvarna (M46 small ring and M146 large ring) stocks for iron sight use. Either of those patterns duplicated in decent wood would be near perfection for irons.

Agreed!!! Ironsights on my 146 in 9.3x57 this past January.

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slightly off topic, and Im not trying to high jack this thread, but why are 9.3x57mm rifles so easy to find and you seldom if ever see 9x57mms?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RinB
Carbon 12,
I learned about the issue of excessive hardness of SOME of the J C Higgins FN actions from Jerry Fisher and Tom Burgess. Both know more about such things than anyone I know. Also, some of the Pre-war M 70's are too hard. As hardness increases so does brittleness. Glass is hard and brittle. The solution is to draw down the hardness by annealing. Most Mausers are made of high carbon steel which is case hardened...not heat treated. Most modern actions are made of 4140 type ordinance steel which is heat treated. The 1950 FN actions are 4140...really great! Don't know about the H ring FN's.
All of the Higgins FN's are H ring actions.

Danke.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jericho
Slightly off topic, and Im not trying to high jack this thread, but why are 9.3x57mm rifles so easy to find and you seldom if ever see 9x57mms?

I think the 9.3 x 57 was like the 30/30 of Scandinavia. Just my speculation. So Husqvarna made lots of em! Like I said just speculation on my part!

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

WAG:

Used 9.3 X 57 Husqvarnas come mostly from Sweden. 9 X 57 chambered rifles are usually German/Austrian rifles. Sweden has firearm ownership laws, one of which limits the number of rifles a citizen can own at one time. IIRC, the number is six. If a citizen who has a limit of rifles and wants a new one, an old one must be sent down the road. For whatever reason, vintage 9.3x57 Husqvarnas seem to often get the boot. It has been posted by several Swedish members of this forum that 9.3x57 Husqvarnas have little value in Sweden. USA and Canadian importers seeing a buy low, sell high opportunity have been supplying the North American market with the beauties that you are seeing. Germans and Austrians apparently are not under any pressure to dump their 9x57 Mausers and Mannlichers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still not quite sure what you're saying here. Are the actions so hard as to be brittle and unsafe, or just difficult to machine? Did your sources have an explanation for the condition? I suppose if a different alloy was used for some reason, it could too hard, but otherwise, the only way I can see this happening is if an error was made during the surface hardening process.
Fisher and Burgess certainly know their business, but this is the first time I've ever heard this, and I've never heard of action failure on any FN caused by such a condition.
As far as I know, all the pre-64 M70s are machined from bar stock, but I don't what kind of heat treating they got. I do know they can be "exciting" in the event of a case failure, because I witnessed it once, but again, I've never heard of an action failure.
Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by carbon12

WAG:

Used 9.3 X 57 Husqvarnas come mostly from Sweden. 9 X 57 chambered rifles are usually German/Austrian rifles. Sweden has firearm ownership laws, one of which limits the number of rifles a citizen can own at one time. IIRC, the number is six. If a citizen who has a limit of rifles and wants a new one, an old one must be sent down the road. For whatever reason, vintage 9.3x57 Husqvarnas seem to often get the boot. It has been posted by several Swedish members of this forum that 9.3x57 Husqvarnas have little value in Sweden. USA and Canadian importers seeing a buy low, sell high opportunity have been supplying the North American market with the beauties that you are seeing. Germans and Austrians apparently are not under any pressure to dump their 9x57 Mausers and Mannlichers.

I've read this too, Carbon. From one of the members here on the fire in Europe.

I bet a lot of 9x57's got used up in Africa too! Just plain attrition. Again speculation on my part!

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

WAG:

And I cannot begin to describe how irritating it is to have none come this way at the give-away prices you lot are enjoying.

If I can hunt one down here I will be looking at the better part of two grand...if someone will part with one.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

WAG:

And I cannot begin to describe how irritating it is to have none come this way at the give-away prices you lot are enjoying.

If I can hunt one down here I will be looking at the better part of two grand...if someone will part with one.

Yikes!

Curious. What would it take to get someone to part with a Brno 21H in your part of the world?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yikes!

Curious. What would it take to get someone to part with a Brno 21H in your part of the world?

This one set me back $3300.00 last year.

[Linked Image]

This 7x57 I sold for $1800.00 a few weeks ago, it went with the better part of 300 RWS cases, plus dies.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image]

Lovely.

Much more attractive than the pile of cash it took to buy it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That is what I thought, but I think my wife disagrees.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<snip> And I cannot begin to describe how irritating it is to have none come this way at the give-away prices you lot are enjoying.

Then, my Aussie friend, please stop reading, or this will really piss you off... wink

I saw one for sale 2 weeks ago for 500 Swedish Kronor -- $AUD 80 (yes, eighty Australian bucks, $USD 75). It was an unmolested Husqvarna 9.3 x 57 on a Mauser 98 action, and it was not even drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I think I'd glass bed to keep the stock from splitting, and rechamber to 9.3 x 62 to get a light powerful Mauser. I might do this and part with my .375 H & H Sako...

OK, I was just teasing you a little. That particular 500 Kronor rifle was quite a bargain -- they commonly bring more like the equivalent of 170 Australian dollars ($USD 159!) Ha! Still, not bad if you like Mauser actions... wink

And no, I can't export'em to you. I can't even collect more than 6 myself... :-(

John

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

This world is an evil cruel realm, and you have just confirmed it.

I have long held that the 146 in 9.3 is the absolute best buy that money can give.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have long held that the 146 in 9.3 is the absolute best buy that money can give.

You won't get an argument from me on that.

The younger hunters sneer at these old Husqvarna 9.3 x 57s and call them "potato tosser". Then, they buy some modern bolt action with a 6 pound trigger and ugly laminated plywood or too-easily bent tupperwear stock. Sigh...

John

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You have just described the dills over here, and I have given up attempting to educate...now I just go my own way.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jpb

You won't get an argument from me on that.

The younger hunters sneer at these old Husqvarna 9.3 x 57s and call them "potato tosser". Then, they buy some modern bolt action with a 6 pound trigger and ugly laminated plywood or too-easily bent tupperwear stock. Sigh...

John

Can't say that I am too broken up about that attitude amongst young Swedish hunters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm still not quite sure what you're saying here. Are the actions so hard as to be brittle and unsafe, or just difficult to machine? Did your sources have an explanation for the condition? I suppose if a different alloy was used for some reason, it could too hard, but otherwise, the only way I can see this happening is if an error was made during the surface hardening process.
Fisher and Burgess certainly know their business, but this is the first time I've ever heard this, and I've never heard of action failure on any FN caused by such a condition.
As far as I know, all the pre-64 M70s are machined from bar stock, but I don't what kind of heat treating they got. I do know they can be "exciting" in the event of a case failure, because I witnessed it once, but again, I've never heard of an action failure.
Thanks.

RinB, Rick, I wanted to bump this question as I too am curious as to what FN did to their actions at the same time as they broached the H ring ?
Did they change the steel or the treatment ? Is the excess hardness just in some samples or only a few ? And where is this information available?

Thanks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,081
Posts18,521,825
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.