Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
204farr Offline OP
OP Offline
Built By Cody's customs Guns
Stiller TAC30
Jewell Trigger
PROOF Research 1-9 26"
manners stock MCS-EH1 with carbon-fiber layup (midnight camo)
bedding devcon 10-110
Wyatt's Outdoors Extended Magazine Box (center feed with custom tunnel 3.2 C.O.L)
Oberndorf style bottom metal
seamless Muzzle brakes
chambered in 7mm Rifle Golf
9.5 LB with 56mm Night force
180 VLD @ 3000+ fps

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

7mm Hadly 7mm Rifle Golf 7Saum
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have impressed me with not one, but TWO wildcat cartridges I had yet to hear of or see. The 7mm Hadly and the 7mm Rifle Golf. Odd name, for sure. How did this round come by that moniker? Pretty impressive ballistics period, but for a super short case like that? Downright amazing. Ought to reach out there and touch some stuff!

Serious round in a serious looking rifle. I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here. High BC bullet AND some real CC's or cubic inches of horsepower to push it along. Winning combo, I am going to guess.

I will be anxious to here about the field tests. Please post follow up reports.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice Cody

You need to build Rob and Kevin one grin

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hits like a 4 iron!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by safariman
You have impressed me with not one, but TWO wildcat cartridges I had yet to hear of or see. The 7mm Hadly and the 7mm Rifle Golf. Odd name, for sure. How did this round come by that moniker? Pretty impressive ballistics period, but for a super short case like that? Downright amazing. Ought to reach out there and touch some stuff!

Serious round in a serious looking rifle. I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here. High BC bullet AND some real CC's or cubic inches of horsepower to push it along. Winning combo, I am going to guess.

As a friendly fyi bud, most of us use some sort of bullet aiming device that allows accurate bullet pacement longer than max pb range, some of us do not need a huge cartridge because we do not shoot stuff in the back end, and most of us do not feel the need to express our shortcomings by touting huge cased cartridges to i guess make up for something else, or at least this is my imtession of folks at the range.

Nice rifle op, looks like an interesting case.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

As a friendly fyi bud, most of us use some sort of bullet aiming device that allows accurate bullet pacement longer than max pb range, some of us do not need a huge cartridge because we do not shoot stuff in the back end, and most of us do not feel the need to express our shortcomings by touting huge cased cartridges to i guess make up for something else, or at least this is my imtession of folks at the range.

As a friendly FYI back, bud, some of us who have actually hunted the world over, and see the effects of high velocity impacts VS moderate or slow velocity impacts, know from hundreds of examples (or more) that a good bullet, placed well, at high velocity DOES hit harder and kill quicker and cleaner than that same bullet at a slower, more sedate velocity. And while high BC and the new generation of high BC bullets do more than a little extra velocity to make both wind deflection and trajectory more manageable, a high BC bullet WITH high velocity is even better. Thus my compliment to the builder of this rifle. Not just for hitting paper targets, but for sure in making clean quick kills. No other than Craig Boddington himself touts the 8mm RemMAg loaded to its full potential, and the 340 WBY are two of the finest all around big game cartridges for the travelling big game hunter. He places the 300WBY right on the cusp of those other's and I agree wholeheartedly. Here is a picture of Craig Boddington and me at SCI recently:

[Linked Image]

This idea has been well proven over and over by the likes of none other than Elgin Gates (with his 300WBY) Parker O. Ackley, Wally Tabor (300WBY again) Warren Page and many other knew or know this. My experience of having to drop bait animals on the spot for my Leopard hunters and not having the luxury of spending time tracking them, as well as desiring to drop large animals who are either dangerous or hard to find due to the rain forest like jungles they live in has proven to me that a good bullet, good bullet placement AND a high impact velocity are a consistently winning package.

As far as Shooting animals in the "ass" a bullet through the hips on a near sideways shot is not a shot in the ass. It is a slight miss by an excited hunter on a LARGE and 350 yards distant moving bear. Anyone who still feels excitement, ruch and thrill when hunting would have had an adrenaline rush upon seeing such a terrific animal as well. Especially in an area not known for such. I merely failed to compensate for his forward movement when I quickly calculated and made the rather longish shot. A human error that I owned and own up to. Craig Boddington has written of his screwed up shots more than once, and that is one of the reasons I admire him and his writing more than some others. Of the many bears I have taken, one particular black bear being a lazered 405 yards out, this is the only one that I did not take clean through the vitals with the first shot, and the shot looked (from my scope's position when the shot broke), from the bears reaction of going straight down when hit and merely rolling down the hill as a lifeless lump and the solid sound of the shot like a DRT bear. When my friends and I went back early the next morning, it was to merely retrieve a dead bear. That he still had a little bit of life in him (very little as he made no attempt to move or escape) was a surprise to all.

I am not even going to reply to the way stupid comment of folks compensating for something else when using high velocity cartridges, there are too many examples of guides, outfitters, writers (certainly not all) and other widely experience hunters and mens men who used and appreciated high velocity AND good bullet placement with good bullets for me to even spend much time on that assenine comment.

I will finish by saying that when I queried the guides and outfitters I booked for in MT, Colorado and Alaska as wel as Zimbabwe a few years ago which cartridge they thought was the best overall for big game in thier area's (admittedly a small sample of only a dozen fellows, but with much guiding and hunting experience each) the highest vote getter was the 340WBY and not the 7/08 or a 6.5 anything.

I have read surveys of outdoors proffesionals in various hunting magazines where the same query was made, and the 340 and 300 WBY were both well represented high vote getters, with zero /08 cartridges getting even honorable mention.

So yes, I find this high performance wildcat, which combines case efficiency with high velocity and a high BC bullet to be a great idea and - as I said before - a breath of much needed reality based fresh air here.

As always, YMMV, and have FUN hunting with whatever thunderstick you choose. Large medium or small.

S'man

Last edited by safariman; 06/19/14.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here. High BC bullet AND some real CC's or cubic inches of horsepower to push it along. Winning combo, I am going to guess.

Hotrod - many here are plain sick of you. And, yeah, we know - you get plenty of support via PM. wink

204 - Very nice rifle!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mm saum AI?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here. High BC bullet AND some real CC's or cubic inches of horsepower to push it along. Winning combo, I am going to guess.

Hotrod - many here are plain sick of you. And, yeah, we know - you get plenty of support via PM. wink grin

204 - Very nice rifle!

Skane, certainly gentleman can disagree and have enlightening and engaging conversations, while differing in opinion or viewpoints, without becoming 'sick' of one another one would hope. what caused this in your opinion? (sincere question here, not rhetorical in any manner) I harbor no such ill feelings of you or anyone else here who simply espouses a different idea of cartridge performance or rifles and I have said such over and over again. I tried to PM this to you, but apparently you have me on ignore. Which THEN begs the question "If you are truly sick of me, why would you toggle my reply and then react to it?" Odd, indeed.

I would love to know what I have done, other than have strongly held views based upon my personal experience and beliefs regarding cartridges and rifles, to warrant such a reaction from you? If I have offended you sometime in some way, I sincerely apologize. Given a fair opportunity, I will make right whatever wrongs I have done against you. This is my solemn vow.

But SOMEONE, or a few someone's, have to stand up for the obvious superiority of controlled round feed bolt guns spouting bullets at hyper velocities!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hotrod - many here are plain sick of you. And, yeah, we know - you get plenty of support via PM. wink

204 - Very nice rifle!

Agreed with 199% SKane - TAKE A HIKE SAFARIMAN, PLEASE!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 06/19/14.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what it looks like. 3k is cookin' outta that hull with 180's!

Neat round!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

This is the quote I meant to quote -

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW

As a friendly FYI back, bud, some of us who have actually hunted the world over, and see the effects of high velocity impacts VS moderate or slow velocity impacts, know from hundreds of examples (or more) that a good bullet, placed well, at high velocity DOES hit harder and kill quicker and cleaner than that same bullet at a slower, more sedate velocity. And while high BC and the new generation of high BC bullets do more than a little extra velocity to make both wind deflection and trajectory more manageable, a high BC bullet WITH high velocity is even better. Thus my compliment to the builder of this rifle. Not just for hitting paper targets, but for sure in making clean quick kills. No other than Craig Boddington himself touts the 8mm RemMAg loaded to its full potential, and the 340 WBY are two of the finest all around big game cartridges for the travelling big game hunter. He places the 300WBY right on the cusp of those other's and I agree wholeheartedly. Here is a picture of Craig Boddington and me at SCI recently:

[Linked Image]

This idea has been well proven over and over by the likes of none other than Elgin Gates (with his 300WBY) Parker O. Ackley, Wally Tabor (300WBY again) Warren Page and many other knew or know this. My experience of having to drop bait animals on the spot for my Leopard hunters and not having the luxury of spending time tracking them, as well as desiring to drop large animals who are either dangerous or hard to find due to the rain forest like jungles they live in has proven to me that a good bullet, good bullet placement AND a high impact velocity are a consistently winning package.

As far as Shooting animals in the "ass" a bullet through the hips on a near sideways shot is not a shot in the ass. It is a slight miss by an excited hunter on a LARGE and 350 yards distant moving bear. Anyone who still feels excitement, ruch and thrill when hunting would have had an adrenaline rush upon seeing such a terrific animal as well. Especially in an area not known for such. I merely failed to compensate for his forward movement when I quickly calculated and made the rather longish shot. A human error that I owned and own up to. Craig Boddington has written of his screwed up shots more than once, and that is one of the reasons I admire him and his writing more than some others. Of the many bears I have taken, one particular black bear being a lazered 405 yards out, this is the only one that I did not take clean through the vitals with the first shot, and the shot looked (from my scope's position when the shot broke), from the bears reaction of going straight down when hit and merely rolling down the hill as a lifeless lump and the solid sound of the shot like a DRT bear. When my friends and I went back early the next morning, it was to merely retrieve a dead bear. That he still had a little bit of life in him (very little as he made no attempt to move or escape) was a surprise to all.

I am not even going to reply to the way stupid comment of folks compensating for something else when using high velocity cartridges, there are too many examples of guides, outfitters, writers (certainly not all) and other widely experience hunters and mens men who used and appreciated high velocity AND good bullet placement with good bullets for me to even spend much time on that assenine comment.

I will finish by saying that when I queried the guides and outfitters I booked for in MT, Colorado and Alaska as wel as Zimbabwe a few years ago which cartridge they thought was the best overall for big game in thier area's (admittedly a small sample of only a dozen fellows, but with much guiding and hunting experience each) the highest vote getter was the 340WBY and not the 7/08 or a 6.5 anything.

I have read surveys of outdoors proffesionals in various hunting magazines where the same query was made, and the 340 and 300 WBY were both well represented high vote getters, with zero /08 cartridges getting even honorable mention.

So yes, I find this high performance wildcat, which combines case efficiency with high velocity and a high BC bullet to be a great idea and - as I said before - a breath of much needed reality based fresh air here.

As always, YMMV, and have FUN hunting with whatever thunderstick you choose. Large medium or small.

S'man

Wow - Feel better now? You just seem to have drama follow you around, make passive aggressive comments with a significant number of your posts, and constantly make broad, ignorant comments like the one SKane quoted (puny cartridges, crappy synthetic stocks, high-faluting turret systems are stupid etc.) and then reply with a long dramatic post followed up by a longer dramatic PM, to state your case when someone dares to doubt your almighty "experience" and guide polling to justify your "case"...

I am a guide, why don't you poll me on what cartridges I like for big game? On second thought my experience may not matter because I'm not over 50, am not a gunwriter, and haven't been to Africa and you won't like my cartridge choices anyway...

The thought that a 7 SAUM or WSM is puny is pretty hilarious...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That's what it looks like. 3k is cookin' outta that hull with 180's!

Neat round!

That is mostly what I was trying to say. To the OP, so sorry your thread on this fine rifle and very cool cartridge was hijacked so badly. I had no intention of my comment - meant to be a compliment and high praise for your new 'cat - would turn so.

I hope that moving forward this thread can remain about your rifle and cartridge, with more good comments. And I am looking forward to the post shooting reports!

Is this intended to be a target shooting only rifle, or do you plan to hunt game with it? If hunting is its purpose, what kinds of game and in what area's and scenario's? It would sure work well out here in the wide open CRP grasslands where I deer hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do you have to have a headstamped cartridge that matches your rifle in Africa?
I believe different cartridges work great in Africa and other parts of the World. Would you use a big Weatherby on a dik dik? Are you allowed to use a 338 bore or smaller on the big 3? I don't know the answers to these and am willing to learn.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Short answer..... from everything I've read and talking to the ph when I went to Africa, allot of guys use BIG guns little critters Africa.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

BS.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Neat cartridge, OP. Also welcome to the 'Fire. Sorry to have a pissing match on your thread, but certain individuals (Safariman) aren't much cared for around these parts (these parts being every 24hourcampfire subforum other than the Hunter's Campfire; strangely enough the Hunter's Campfire is where most of the non-hunters hang out).

What are the details on case capacity and such of your round? Curious how well it feeds as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
BS.

Exactly....even from years ago in the G&A Rifle and Cartridge 1987 annual, they did a survey among 30 hunters, writers, and guides, and the 270/280/30-06 took 15 of the 30 votes. Throw in the 7 Mag and it goes to 19 of 30. The 340 had 5 votes. With today's bullets, it's probably a bigger spread now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here.

I've shot the 7-08 and it's worked superbly on a variety of game including black bear. If you could shoot, you'd find the same.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12savage, 61 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,315
Posts18,505,704
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.