204farr Offline OP
OP Offline
it's no biggie more people will read it whistle

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Awesome round, Cody. I am strongly considering this as my 'on-deck' build. I am gathering components now for a LR rig for Tim T's place next spring. I thoroughly enjoy your builds and ingenuity. Thanks again...

Originally Posted by safariman
I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here.

Considering the 2 wildcats you commented on are directly derived from 2 you denounced, I don't think the comment has any credibility. Yeah, we all know how you've hunted all over the world. We also know how you ass shoot bears and let em lay (a 2+ foot miss at 350 isn't just an 'excited hunter). Don't forget you cheat and lie in the classifieds. Your self boisterous and long winded posts are good for a chuckle, but not anything with any take home...we other the the reintegration of 'don't do drugs'.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is that Cody flat out knows how to build a rifle.

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
That is a great looking build, can you please tell me more about the barrel ?
Benefits I see are low weight, and no rust, they are meant to cool faster ?

The carbon barrels are an unknown to 99.9% of shooters here in Aus I have read a bit of hype over the years.

A few Blasers have just been released in Australia this year with a carbon stock and barrel, I handled 2 in the shop yesterday a 300 RUM and a 416 Taylor both were extremely light I bet they boot like donkeys, do you guys think the carbon barrels will hold up to the BIG bores ?
The guy in the shop knew nothing about them

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice build, and nice results.

Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Considering the 2 wildcats you commented on are directly derived from 2 you denounced, I don't think the comment has any credibility.

Dude, didn't you see the photo, that was Craig BODDINGTON!

Nothing says "credibility" like getting your photo taken with a famous gunwriter.

I think Mule Deer was the one who nailed it when he said the 7-08 was a "women and children's cartridge."

As in, women and children seem to kill stuff just fine with it, but for many men, it just won't do.

The 7 SAUM and WSM are puny! You learn something new on here every day. Glad I tuned in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GregW
You have impressed me with not one, but TWO wildcat cartridges I had yet to hear of or see. The 7mm Hadly and the 7mm Rifle Golf. Odd name, for sure. How did this round come by that moniker? Pretty impressive ballistics period, but for a super short case like that? Downright amazing. Ought to reach out there and touch some stuff!

Serious round in a serious looking rifle. I am so sick of puny little cartridges (7/08, 6.5 Creedmore, 7SAUM or WSM) for builds this one is a breath of fresh air here. High BC bullet AND some real CC's or cubic inches of horsepower to push it along. Winning combo, I am going to guess.

I will be anxious to here about the field tests. Please post follow up reports.

As a friendly fyi bud, most of us use some sort of bullet aiming device that allows accurate bullet pacement longer than max pb range, some of us do not need a huge cartridge because we do not shoot stuff in the back end, and most of us do not feel the need to express our shortcomings by touting huge cased cartridges to i guess make up for something else, or at least this is my imtession of folks at the range.

Nice rifle op, looks like an interesting case.

As a friendly FYI back, bud, some of us who have actually hunted the world over, and see the effects of high velocity impacts VS moderate or slow velocity impacts, know from hundreds of examples (or more) that a good bullet, placed well, at high velocity DOES hit harder and kill quicker and cleaner than that same bullet at a slower, more sedate velocity. And while high BC and the new generation of high BC bullets do more than a little extra velocity to make both wind deflection and trajectory more manageable, a high BC bullet WITH high velocity is even better. Thus my compliment to the builder of this rifle. Not just for hitting paper targets, but for sure in making clean quick kills. No other than Craig Boddington himself touts the 8mm RemMAg loaded to its full potential, and the 340 WBY are two of the finest all around big game cartridges for the travelling big game hunter. He places the 300WBY right on the cusp of those other's and I agree wholeheartedly. Here is a picture of Craig Boddington and me at SCI recently:

[Linked Image]

This idea has been well proven over and over by the likes of none other than Elgin Gates (with his 300WBY) Parker O. Ackley, Wally Tabor (300WBY again) Warren Page and many other knew or know this. My experience of having to drop bait animals on the spot for my Leopard hunters and not having the luxury of spending time tracking them, as well as desiring to drop large animals who are either dangerous or hard to find due to the rain forest like jungles they live in has proven to me that a good bullet, good bullet placement AND a high impact velocity are a consistently winning package.

As far as Shooting animals in the "ass" a bullet through the hips on a near sideways shot is not a shot in the ass. It is a slight miss by an excited hunter on a LARGE and 350 yards distant moving bear. Anyone who still feels excitement, ruch and thrill when hunting would have had an adrenaline rush upon seeing such a terrific animal as well. Especially in an area not known for such. I merely failed to compensate for his forward movement when I quickly calculated and made the rather longish shot. A human error that I owned and own up to. Craig Boddington has written of his screwed up shots more than once, and that is one of the reasons I admire him and his writing more than some others. Of the many bears I have taken, one particular black bear being a lazered 405 yards out, this is the only one that I did not take clean through the vitals with the first shot, and the shot looked (from my scope's position when the shot broke), from the bears reaction of going straight down when hit and merely rolling down the hill as a lifeless lump and the solid sound of the shot like a DRT bear. When my friends and I went back early the next morning, it was to merely retrieve a dead bear. That he still had a little bit of life in him (very little as he made no attempt to move or escape) was a surprise to all.

I am not even going to reply to the way stupid comment of folks compensating for something else when using high velocity cartridges, there are too many examples of guides, outfitters, writers (certainly not all) and other widely experience hunters and mens men who used and appreciated high velocity AND good bullet placement with good bullets for me to even spend much time on that assenine comment.

I will finish by saying that when I queried the guides and outfitters I booked for in MT, Colorado and Alaska as wel as Zimbabwe a few years ago which cartridge they thought was the best overall for big game in thier area's (admittedly a small sample of only a dozen fellows, but with much guiding and hunting experience each) the highest vote getter was the 340WBY and not the 7/08 or a 6.5 anything.

I have read surveys of outdoors proffesionals in various hunting magazines where the same query was made, and the 340 and 300 WBY were both well represented high vote getters, with zero /08 cartridges getting even honorable mention.

So yes, I find this high performance wildcat, which combines case efficiency with high velocity and a high BC bullet to be a great idea and - as I said before - a breath of much needed reality based fresh air here.

As always, YMMV, and have FUN hunting with whatever thunderstick you choose. Large medium or small.

S'man

UBER pompous ASS.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice build, and nice results.

Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Considering the 2 wildcats you commented on are directly derived from 2 you denounced, I don't think the comment has any credibility.

Dude, didn't you see the photo, that was Craig BODDINGTON!

Nothing says "credibility" like getting your photo taken with a famous gunwriter.

I think Mule Deer was the one who nailed it when he said the 7-08 was a "women and children's cartridge."

As in, women and children seem to kill stuff just fine with it, but for many men, it just won't do.

The 7 SAUM and WSM are puny! You learn something new on here every day. Glad I tuned in.

I don't know much about anything, but I do know that that pic of Craig Boddington was funny, who gives a $hit if you met a famous bloke at a gun show.

I meet pro surfers at the beach all the time, but I would never take my pic with one of them to pass around as though I rub shoulders with them

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Come on man post a picture of you and Taj Burrow.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice.
Very nice.
Would like more detail on the barrel?
How much?
How long a wait to get one.
Looks like the company that bought out ABS?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

UBER pompous ASS.

Nice rifle Sir.
All I have is the puny 7SAUM, so I can't hang. grin

P.S. it's fuzzy cause it's a poster......over the bed.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was being complimentary of the man's new wildcat cartridge, and you all have to keep making the post and thread about me. It wasn't and shouldn't be.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's not about you. It's a really nice rifle, and a cool wildcat.

But when you say something like "the 7 SAUM and WSM are puny" you should expect the response you got. That's just a dumb statement.

Go back and look at the photo of the new wildcat next to the 7 SAUM.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you all have to keep making the post and thread about me. It wasn't and shouldn't be.

Yet you post a picture of yourself in this thread.....

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by aalf
you all have to keep making the post and thread about me. It wasn't and shouldn't be.

Yet you post a picture of yourself in this thread.....

That was just to prove he's credible.

And to show off the fact he wears a fanny pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll PM �BER and ask if my 7stw can hang.......
Otherwise I am trading them all.

Have Dog

Will Travel

204farr Offline OP
OP Offline
It's not everyday one post can flame up 5 forums. Didn't make it out of the gate on SH or LR got pulled on PM. I'll give you some more information on it but I need to do some more test loading. Right now we have been shooting 60-64 grains of retumbo with a 180 berger vld with speeds from 2800-3078. There seems to be an accuracy node around 2900 and 3050 with the few powders I have tried. Been shooting sub 3/8 moa at 200 yards. Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf season is set to open the 28th of this month which is the whole reason I designed this cartridge. That is based off the 300/7 Saum Norma brass with a 100 degree included angle. No turn tight neck (Norma brass). It has a fair amount of free bore. Designed to be ran in long or short action. The reason we were going for 0 -1200 yard accuracy without beating you to death. I was sick of shooting 338 edge lapuas and 300 ultra mag imps for 50 shots in a round of golf. It was designed to be long range hunter and rifle golf cartridge. I will get more information up here with proven load data out to 1200 yards in the next few weeks. The name came from me not from spirit ridge. I figured it should be named for their course since that's what it was designed for. Thanks, Cody

Last edited by 204farr; 06/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never heard of rifle golf. But I am always interested in another shooting game or sport! Are you folks shooting at golf balls at various long distances a la the bowling pin shooting I tried my hand at a couple of years ago?

Please give us a bit more info on this game, and that does look like a fascinating cartridge that is very well thought out.

PS WELCOME TO 24HRCF! From one wildcatter and rifle nut to another.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
PS WELCOME TO 24HRCF! From one wildcatter and rifle nut to another.

So far in this thread you have been a Booking Agent, a Professional Hunter and now a Wildcatter. What have you wildcatted? What next?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was one of the first, I believe, to take a 204 and neck it up to .224 AFAIK, right when the 204 became available. No way to know if someone else did it at about the same time or not, but I was the first to post about such here, any way. My elk, bear, moose and African Plains Game rifle is chambered in my wildcat "340 Tyrannosaur" (8mm RemMag necked up to .338) for starters. I could go on.....

And I was an early advertiser here with my business, "Aahsome African Adventures" I took many folks from here hunting in Africa (I most often accompanied my clients on their hunts and assisted on those hunts in various ways). I had a banner ad up top here for about 5 years.

Here is a picture of me with one of my clients and a very nice Klipspringer he took:

[Linked Image]

My Client David Dirkes with his really good cape Buff:

[Linked Image]

I have many many more, but I think the point is well made. All of this was common knowledge here for a long time, but I guess it has been a while now since I was active iin this. I have a 28 minute DVD called "Hunting in Zimbabwe" that took me several years of safari's to make. It has two Elephant kills, two Cape Buff kills, a Lion Kill and lots of plains game going down on it. I am in it as an interviewer, shooter, voice over or cameraman throughout. Also have an article in African Hunter magazine. If you PM me your address, I will send you copy's of each. My business is noted and mentioned, with photos of some fine animals taken when this was a big part of how I made my living, are featured in the latest Barnes Reloading Manual, as well.

Below, my much hunted, very bloody, often loaned to clients 340 Tyrannosaur. I have posted it and info about this cartridge many, many times here.

[Linked Image]

Once again, I have had to post about me and my stuff, but only as a response by an ignorant newbie who, for some reason, doubted my experience. Members who have been around this forum a while know all of this stuff about me.

OP, I would REALLY rather this thread you started be about YOUR cartridge and rifle, but when challenged openly, I feel I must reply openly in return.

Can we all get back on track here, please? I am more than willing, but will reply with whatever proof is needed if again challenged about my background or experience by ignorant folks.

Last edited by safariman; 06/23/14.

204farr Offline OP
OP Offline

http://spiritridgeriflegolf.com/about/

Spirit Ridge Rifle GolfSpirit Ridge Rifle Golf was born in 2005 when we embarked on a mission to provide outdoorsmen with the most realistic, exhilarating and educational target shooting experience in the world. And we did it! Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf is the must-see, must-do shooting adventure for hunters and all outdoors enthusiasts!

For the Hunter
Rifle golf is a new sport designed to help you practice your skills and become a better shooter in a real-life environment as you move from target to target � using an ATV instead of a golf cart! Our unique golf-style scoring system makes the range more competitive and provides a fun way to assess your shooting skills. Offering ranges from 175 to 1200 yards, our course is designed to mimic real-life hunting experiences for riflemen of all abilities. Our special targets, complete with �vitals�, let you know when your shot is dead-on and provide an unrivaled sense of authenticity. With more than 30 targets all set at different angles, on different slopes and in varying wind conditions, you�ll really come to recognize your strengths and weaknesses as a shooter. Each of our four shooting stations provides unique challenges that will increase your experience and sharpen your abilities.

For the Novice
We�ll help you remove all doubts surrounding your ability; you�ll be able to understand and expand the limits of your skills. At Spirit Ridge, you�ll establish your own reference and confidence � then take it with you into the field where it really counts! We discourage taking long-range shots in the field without first proving yourself on the course. By reaching and pushing your limits at Spirit Ridge, you�ll develop increased accuracy and consistency, making you a more successful and more responsible hunter. Come enjoy an incredible day of fun while improving your skills. Put yourself and your rifle to the test!

Gun Golfis one of the fastest growing shooting sports in America. It contains all of the ingredients needed to inspire individuals to sharpen their shooting skills. Throw in the golf style scoring, now you and your buddies can compete for the weekly bragging rights. Gun Golf is a sport aimed at the individual who loves the outdoors, regardless if you are an avid hunter, weekend shooter or simply someone who likes to get out every once in a while to enjoy the outdoors in new and exciting ways. The game will inspire your love for the outdoors and make you a better marksmen along the way! Get ready to �Tee Off With A Bang

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 22kHornet, 45 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,266
Posts18,504,910
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.