Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

PFS. Most cops on TV ...

On TV? Hell, its got to be true...

For all cops no less, I'm sure.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious what everyone considers "defending". I keep hearing about how cops are always defending everything, but don't see it.

For the record I do not consider the following to be "defending the bad cops":
1-Wanting more information
2-Distrusting the media
3-Mocking the kooks here

There have been several instances where I've blatantly stated that the cops in a post were wrong and within a page or two heard about how my criticism used incorrect verbiage or how "all te cops were defending" again.....right after I had done just the opposite.

If the "bad cop defenders" are so rampant here, prove it. Quote where I'm wrong. And you can't use Dink, that's cheating.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
. And you can't use Dink, that's cheating.

That's what she said.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lurker.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pilot.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

PFS. Most cops on TV ...

On TV? Hell, its got to be true...

For all cops no less, I'm sure.

For your particular instance it may be true you need to be told what to believe; I however will just trust my lying eyes. I'm perfectly capable of expressing myself. No need for you to attribute anything on my behalf.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm curious what everyone considers "defending". I keep hearing about how cops are always defending everything, but don't see it.
Mainly by running interference, such as by ridiculing those who are objecting to troubling recent developments, or by just promoting a general attitude of absurdity and comedy within said threads, suggesting that he doesn't consider the subject to be worth serious consideration.

You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm remembered for anything here, I hope it's my ability to adeptly sling my flippant remarks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Mainly by running interference, such as by ridiculing those who are objecting to troubling recent developments, or by just promoting a general attitude of absurdity and comedy within said threads, suggesting that he doesn't consider the subject to be worth serious consideration.

Essentially you're complaining that I'm being a big fat meanie head, right?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Essentially you're complaining that I'm being a big fat meanie head, right?
Not complaining so much as correcting, since you were playing all innocent as to defending bad cops and bad cop trends because you don't engage in actual argumentation in their defense. My point is that defense can be accomplished by other, less admirable, means.

Last edited by The_Real_Hawkeye; 07/01/14. Reason: Autocorrect Error Corrected
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You are ridiculed when you are being absurd, not when you are giving a subject serious consideration.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You mean like proclaiming a cop is corrupt after viewing a video with no other information?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
as an addendum, the rancor and nasty comments in these threads come mostly from the police and their supporters.
Exactly right.

+1.
Travis

IMO, the majority of LEO's around here loosing their "I'm smarter and better than everyone else" attitudes would go a long way to keeping the peace on these threads.
Granted, not every LEO's a puppy shooting donut eater, and the OP seldom starts one with "keeping the peace" in mind but the tendancy to defend the obvious abuses when they don't know any more about the instance than the rest of us really comes off as arrogant.

Just my $.02 and worth half that much.

So it's a one way street.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, taking a side when provided limited information regarding the incidentent is acceptable, as long as you take the side that bashes the cops..

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Yes, taking a side when provided limited information regarding the incidentent is acceptable, as long as you take the side that bashes the cops..
You make arrests all the time on limited information. Between posting an opinion and making a potentially life changing arrest, I'll take the opinion as the less dangerous of the two every time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You are ridiculed when you are being absurd, not when you are giving a subject serious consideration.
No, he gets ridiculed all the time regardless of the seriousness or accuracy of his post. If the cops on the site got half of the ridicule Hawkeye does, about half of them would have had their heads explode. Thin skins abound here.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

a couple of things come to mind. First, that most of these incidents come as a result of the 'war on drugs'. Maybe we should not be calling local police efforts a WAR. That is sending the wrong signal to the police.
Second, a huge percentage of new police persons are recent military veterans. It's possible that they have a mindset of killing things, particularly since they are told we are 'at war with drugs'.
Third, with the proliferation of military equipment being used by local police, I see a lot of the "if you have it, you'll use it" mentality.

Of course, I'm just a dumb ole country boy, but this is how I view it.

and as an addendum, the rancor and nasty comments in these threads come mostly from the police and their supporters. Vile ad hominem attacks and the like are common currency with those that are 'tired of the attacks on the police'.

The only change has been smart phones and societies ability to share media with the entire world in the push of just a few buttons.

There is nothing pretty about the use of force and people that are subject matter experts on the use of force know that a video gives one dimension to a four dimension story. People that do not understand the legal parameters of the use of force have a difficult time seeing much of the footage and believing it could be justified in a court of law. And that is understandable.

Travis

Shooting an unarmed man in the back when he has agreed to surrender (AZ) is indefensible. Shooting an elderly man in the back during a traffic stop (with no probable cause) in front of his wife because he needs his cane to stand (SC) is indefensible.

Shooting a man's dog in front of him when you've been called BY the man to investigate a burglary of his home (TX), in his fenced in yard when you have no warrant, no probable cause, and no damned reason to be there (UT), shooting an old Bassett hound in front of a woman and her kids and firing toward that woman and her kids when you have no warrant, no probable cause, and no reason to be on their property (WV), among many others, is indefensible.

Yep and these are the exceptions that prove the rule. 99% of interactions with LE DO NOT result in a shooting or excessive violence. It is the sensationalism that makes these popular, not the mundane day to day type of LE interactions.

No those are the exceptions that prove only that you and yours in LE accept and excuse a level of malpractice that no other profession would accept much less excuse; and you demand that we citizens, also, accept and excuse it with a hearty 'Yes Sir, may I have another.'

I will even accept your own percentages, 99% acceptable policing to 1% 'in a shooting or excessive violence', without question or a demand for documentation. Should we and would you accept and excuse 1 horrid case of malpractice in 100 from any profession other than LEO:

A surgeon that did a sex change 1 in of 100 surgeries when he was to do only a hernia repair.

A bus driver that left his loaded bus parked to be crushed by a train on 1 of each 100 routes driven.

A garbageman that dumps 1 in 100 barrels on his clients' yard.

Even a clerk at a taco stand, an illegal with poor English, would be quickly fired if he served 1 in 100 customers a taco when they ordered a burrito.

If we factor in that the components of arrogance and intent in incidents of LEO malpractice to our garbageman comparison, it would be more like if the garbageman dumped the garbage on our doorstep instead of our yard and shat on top of the pile.

You accept and excuse much too much; and demand that we do too. You, also, expect us to thank you for the insults and injuries.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by tjm10025

No, he gets ridiculed all the time regardless of the seriousness or accuracy of his post. If the cops on the site got half of the ridicule Hawkeye does, about half of them would have had their heads explode. Thin skins abound here.

What he said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't even mind TRH, at least he's coherent and owns a gun. I could tolerate him in person much better than some others.

Shoot, I'd take twenty TRHs to get rid of sherp. You can argue with TRH, sherp's assumed identity just ruins all the fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I have a strong dislike for incompetent LEOs, but I also have a strong respect for excellence, and those who go above and beyond to get it right..
I totally agree..

Another in agreement...Normal folks see it this way.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.