Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's what I posted on a similar thread, in the Handgun forum:

No way it will be a 1911, even though it's a better choice than the M9. My bet will be either the HK45, or the P227.

Much as we all normal people like the 1911, it's going to be hard for any military officer to walk up to a Congresscritter or bureaucrat and say, "we want a 103 year old design" even if they say it's "reimagined" or whatever smile

If I were Colt, think I'd borrow a page from Sig, and build a 1911 Rail Gun with a slightly wider and longer grip, to allow 10+1 rounds, then pitch that to the military. And I'd call it the Model of 2014.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 07/03/14. Reason: fixt it

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by brymoore

No, they didn't. Heavy as [bleep], 8rd capacity. It's time has passed. Model A trucks are cool too.

I forgot, the 1911/45 ACP didn't work in WWI, WWII, Korea or Vietnam.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

No, they didn't. Heavy as [bleep], 8rd capacity. It's time has passed. Model A trucks are cool too.

Model A trucks, shelter halves,and brown Cocoran boots worked back then too, well, sort of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mink
I say just issue everyone SIG P220's and call it done.

There....saved millions of taxpayer dollars.

220's grip is too big. The Beretta also suffers from a fat grip and long trigger reach. I would also bet against the .40 due to recoil. My guess is a 9 or 45 on a polymer frame with interchangeable backstraps and a rail.

Who is John Galt?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The S&W M&P .45 with a thumb safety would be a great candidate.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't shot 1911s that much probably not more than 5000 rounds a year or so at one point. And most of that through our AL framed Kimber 3 inch ones. Of course that was only for a couple of years that we played with IDPA and IPSC, the wife and I.

But I was worried about the AL frame possibly.

Never saw an issue.

But again it might take more than 20K rounds or so for them to break etc...

Glock... well yeah I got a use for them in certain instances, but just cant' warm up to them all that much.

IF we are not going to 45 acp, and why the hell wouldn't we?, then I wonder 357 Sig might not be the best of all worlds? Not impressed with 40 S/W.

Of course anyone that shoots, should have no issues with a 10mm , that the 40 still wants to be. They simply have to shoot and learn to shoot well, like anyone that risks their life, at the end of any kind of firearm.

What all my 100 pound 4 foot sometihing wife has learned to shoot over the years proves its in the head, and no where else if you can't get used to whatever is provided. Though she/I have never shot any of the nitro express rounds....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The problem is that outside of selected outfits, most people in the military don't shoot much. When I was in the regular Army we did rifle qual once a year (maybe 200 rounds) and if you were issued a pistol it was considerably less ammo then that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Hey, I got an idea!!

[Linked Image]

The only mistake there was that they started with the .32WSL when they should have started with the .351WSL or even the .401WSL as their inspiration. That woulda made the little carbine a real wonder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's time has passed but I always thought an M1 Carbine chambered for a rimless .357 magnum cartridge would be a neat idea. Keep the pressure at 40,000 psi and you could get some real whomp out of a 158 grain bullet. Of course that almost duplicates the .351 WSL but that one is just a tad long for the carbine receiver (I think), whereas the .357 OAL is about the same as the .30 Carbine. Plus you could use all of the .357 diameter bullets available instead of an oddball .352" bullet.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Model A trucks, shelter halves,and brown Cocoran boots worked back then too, well, sort of.

Sure, mention items no one uses anymore. How about the M2 or M16, both over 50 years old and still in use.

The USMC did extensive testing and came back to the 1911/45ACP as a proven battle weapon. The army, well, they'll probably [bleep] it up again, just like they did with its camo decisions.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wonder, how applicable the preferences of a bunch of lifelong shooting enthusiasts are to a handgun to be used mostly by people that are not shooters?

Once upon a time our military benefited from a pool of personnel that had a much higher proportion of shooters. Now much of it will have never fired a round until their military training.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 1911 with an extra capacity magazine chambered in 45 Colt loaded with a 250 grain cast Keith flatnosed bullet at 950 fps would knock just about anything on its azz.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have more money than to know how to wisely spend.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by pal
They have more money than to know how to wisely spend.

And that's sure the truth. They change camo patterns once a year, it seems.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The USMC did extensive testing and came back to the 1911/45ACP as a proven battle weapon.

The USMC didn't test a damn thing. Some one cooked up the idea of taking mothballed 1911's and reworking them at Quantico. Those guys can build a rifle that'll shoot but the didn't/don't know schidt from shinola about 1911's, and when the guys started shooting the hell out of them, the hardest working SOB in the unit was the armorer. He didn't get much sleep when a bunch of them were on the range all day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rovering
" ... Once upon a time our military benefited from a pool of personnel that had a much higher proportion of shooters. Now much of it will have never fired a round until their military training."

Same today with most police departments, Federal, State, and local.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. �

If they opt for a smaller grip that Private Benjamin can hold, it'll need milder ammo for her to be able to shoot it without a lot of pain.

The titanium-frame .38 and .357 revolvers are a dream to tote, torture to shoot.

There's just no way to make shooting bland on the hand and devastating on Ahmed's and Mahmoud's chests. The immutable facts of physics get in the way.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
They went to the nine because the 1911 .45 was too big for all the new female soldiers to hold or shoot well. �

If they opt for a smaller grip that Private Benjamin can hold, it'll need milder ammo for her to be able to shoot it without a lot of pain.

The titanium-frame .38 and .357 revolvers are a dream to tote, torture to shoot.

There's just no way to make shooting bland on the hand and devastating on Ahmed's and Mahmoud's chests. The immutable facts of physics get in the way.

Good point

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

We'll now that just isn't PC at all now is it?

Whack his PP!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dodgefan
The problem is that outside of selected outfits, most people in the military don't shoot much. When I was in the regular Army we did rifle qual once a year (maybe 200 rounds) and if you were issued a pistol it was considerably less ammo then that.

I was a Huey crewchief from 82-84. NEVER saw an M16 after basic training. Was issued a Ruger Security Six 38 Spcl.
Had to qualify once a year. 25 rounds for practice and 25 rounds for score .

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.