GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I swapped out thousands of slides on M9's in the early 90's after a few servicemen ate half a slide while firing at the range.

We replaced the slides with new ones that had a slot milled on the left side of the rear portion of the slide. Hammer pin was also replaced with a new pin that had a large flat head, like a dime which rode in the new slot on the new slide.

It was supposed to work like a safety stop to jam and hold the back half of the slide in case it broke around the ejection port.

That was the SEAL guns, pre- M9 versions that broke in half. The major problem with the M9 was/is the locking block. If the locking blocks were replaced when worn, and if it was easy to remove, it was worn, then the gun would run a long time, much longer than any issue 1911 without something breaking on it.

"SEAL guns"? scratching my head... Pre M9?

SEAL's have always had all the toys, even before SOCOM money came along. They were testing them prior to the Army's trials, and went back to S&W revolvers for a long time, I don't know how long, as I was never a SEAL, but only rubbed elbows with them in schools and occasionally on a deployment. Anyway, here is what the internet says, but I heard it happened prior to the date this guy gives:

The Problems Arise:

The M9 pistol program ran into trouble when in September of 1987 the slide of a civilian model Beretta 92SB pistol fractured at the junction where the locking block mates into the slide. The broken half of the slide flew back at the shooter (A member of the Navy Special Warfare Group) injuring him. (NSIAD-88-213) In January and February of 1988 respectively, 2 more military model M9 handguns exhibited the same problem, injuring 2 more shooters from the Navy Special Warfare Group.

All three shooters suffered facial lacerations. One suffered a broken tooth and the other two required stitches. (NSIAD-88-213)

The Army was doing unrelated barrel testing on current production civilian model 92SB pistols and military model M9 pistols and ran into the same slide separation issue. They fired 3 M9 pistols 10,000 times and inspected the weapons with the MPI process for evidence of slide cracks. They discovered that one of the weapons had a cracked slide. The Army then decided to fire all of the weapons until the slides failed. Failure occurred at round number 23,310 on one weapon, 30,083 on another, and 30,545 on the last weapon. (NSIAD-88-213)

Examination of the NSWG slides and the Army slides showed a low metal toughness as the cause of the problems with slide separation. The Army then began to investigate the production process of the slides. (NSIAD-88-213) At the time the frames of the M9 pistols were produced in the US, while the slides were produced in Italy. There are reportedly documents from the Picatinny Arsenal that report a metallurgical study blaming the use of Tellurium in the manufacturing process for the low metal toughness of the Italian slides, but I have been unable to independently verify this information.

After April of 1988, however, all slides for the M9/92 pistols were produced in the US. (NSIAD-88-213) As a part of the contract requirements, the Beretta Corporation had to build a plant inside the United States to produce the M9. It naturally took some time for the US plant (located in Accokeek MD.) to get into full production swing, so the Italian plant made the slides for a time.

Several GAO reports and testimony from GAO staff before Congressional Sub-Committees (NSIAD-88-213, NSIAD-88-46, NSIAD-89-59 are a few�) report the total number of slide failures at 14. Three occurred in the field with the NSWG and the other 11 occurred in the test lab. Only 3 injuries resulted from the slide separation problem. The Beretta Corporation changed the design of the M9 pistol so that even if a slide fractured, the broken half could not come back and hit the shooter causing injury.

Of the 14 slide separations reported, only 4 took place at round counts under 10,000. (NSIAD-88-213) No further slide fractures were reported after the change to the US manufactured slides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, it is Big squeeze.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Uriah

Poor Transvestite�no comeback other than that.

Poor TAK/Uterus.

Can't afford a camera. Craves my cock.

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Damn, it is Big squeeze.

'Squeeze? Nah.

I'm bettin' this guy knows ALL about sniper rifles...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Anyway, here is what the internet says, but I heard it happened prior to the date this guy gives:

The Problems Arise:

The M9 pistol program ran into trouble when in September of 1987 the slide of a civilian model Beretta 92SB pistol fractured at the junction where the locking block mates into the slide. The broken half of the slide flew back at the shooter (A member of the Navy Special Warfare Group) injuring him. (NSIAD-88-213) In January and February of 1988 respectively, 2 more military model M9 handguns exhibited the same problem, injuring 2 more shooters from the Navy Special Warfare Group.

All three shooters suffered facial lacerations. One suffered a broken tooth and the other two required stitches. (NSIAD-88-213)

The Army was doing unrelated barrel testing on current production civilian model 92SB pistols and military model M9 pistols and ran into the same slide separation issue. They fired 3 M9 pistols 10,000 times and inspected the weapons with the MPI process for evidence of slide cracks. They discovered that one of the weapons had a cracked slide. The Army then decided to fire all of the weapons until the slides failed. Failure occurred at round number 23,310 on one weapon, 30,083 on another, and 30,545 on the last weapon. (NSIAD-88-213)

Examination of the NSWG slides and the Army slides showed a low metal toughness as the cause of the problems with slide separation. The Army then began to investigate the production process of the slides. (NSIAD-88-213) At the time the frames of the M9 pistols were produced in the US, while the slides were produced in Italy. There are reportedly documents from the Picatinny Arsenal that report a metallurgical study blaming the use of Tellurium in the manufacturing process for the low metal toughness of the Italian slides, but I have been unable to independently verify this information.

After April of 1988, however, all slides for the M9/92 pistols were produced in the US. (NSIAD-88-213) As a part of the contract requirements, the Beretta Corporation had to build a plant inside the United States to produce the M9. It naturally took some time for the US plant (located in Accokeek MD.) to get into full production swing, so the Italian plant made the slides for a time.

Several GAO reports and testimony from GAO staff before Congressional Sub-Committees (NSIAD-88-213, NSIAD-88-46, NSIAD-89-59 are a few�) report the total number of slide failures at 14. Three occurred in the field with the NSWG and the other 11 occurred in the test lab. Only 3 injuries resulted from the slide separation problem. The Beretta Corporation changed the design of the M9 pistol so that even if a slide fractured, the broken half could not come back and hit the shooter causing injury.

Of the 14 slide separations reported, only 4 took place at round counts under 10,000. (NSIAD-88-213) No further slide fractures were reported after the change to the US manufactured slides.

Yeah, I know what happened because it was my job to retrofit those M9's for the USMC.

I believe the retrofit effort launched in 92.

Of the 14 slide separations reported

Key word in Red.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave I'm thinking lee24 is reincarnated as squats to pee

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eh76

He and Uterus are giving their version of a "best effort."

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Has TAK mentioned that he owns a Winchester M 70 Super Grade .375 H&H that says "Made in South Carolina." laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add in Uriah and sherp, and it's a go.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Has TAK mentioned that he owns a Winchester M 70 Super Grade .375 H&H that says "Made in South Carolina." laugh

I had a pic of a prototype�but Im sure its wasn't Squat To Pee's�.

cause I had a pic of it�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Was it a Push-feed or CRF? grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Yes---and you're Exhibit one proving that proposition! grin

I'm not the one advocating the government dictate what marriage is.

You are.

Travis

You fugging moron. Seriously, are you really this stupid? The government cannot help but define a moral standard on marriage. Even the decision to get out of "the marriage business" constitutes government action which will influence the institution of marriage in a way favorable to sodomite unions by eliminating marriage entirely. This is what Marxism has sought from the beginning.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You fugging moron. Seriously, are you really this stupid? The government cannot help but define a moral standard on marriage. Even the decision to get out of "the marriage business" constitutes government action which will influence the institution of marriage in a way favorable to sodomite unions by eliminating marriage entirely. This is what Marxism has sought from the beginning.

I understand you want the government to define marriage. I also understand you want the government to give tax benefits to those that purchase marriage licenses, and procreate.

I just don't agree with you. I don't think it's any of the government's concern.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rob lighten the puck up

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I understand you want the government to define marriage. I also understand you want the government to give tax benefits to those that purchase marriage licenses, and procreate.

I just don't agree with you. I don't think it's any of the government's concern.

Travis

Couldn't agree with you more Travis. Really tired of paying for somebody else's demon spawn.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yes---and you're Exhibit one proving that proposition! grin

I'm not the one advocating the government dictate what marriage is.

You are.

Travis

No it wouldn't. If the gobt stayed out of it totally. The chirches could decide for themselves whether they wanna marry queers.

I'm bettin not may homo catholic weddings gonna happen

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rob lighten the puck up

Why lighten up against a proponent of one of the fundamental tenets of Marxism? Seriously, is this what we've come to, just surrender? This nation was founded on an appeal to a universal moral law. Limited government only works with a moral populace who are largely capable of self-governance.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
TAK tell me something about helicopters. Or maybe 1911's and how we didn't have them in the Corps. Oh or maybe the M60E3. Dazzle us with your spy rigging or fast rope experience.

I just ride on helicopters that hopefully some azzhole like you has maintained. The USMC hasn't had 1911's for over 20yr. You may have been issued some mothballed ones in Desert Shield, 'cause as the bastard stepchildren of the Naval Dept, you fuggers don't get much to work with. The only 1911's currently in use are those at MARSOC, and they belong to SOCOM, not the USMC, they just wear marine uniforms.

As for fast-roping, I avoided that [bleep] every time I could. Dropping in from 18K or higher is much more "subtle".

Yeah, that's it. I just rode on ships that hopefully some azzhole like you maintained.

What a F U C K I N G tool you are and a disgrace.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Scott, I think you are giving him the benefit of the doubt�...

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,082
Posts18,521,831
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.