applicants may have affected their drawing a permit odds in the various
hunts, we will add an additional 363 permits back into each of these deer,
elk and antelope hunts. A draw for those from the age 11 (who will be 12 at
the time of their hunt) and older hunters in the existing applicant pool
will take place for these added in tags to address their understandable
concern.
So, they're playing to both sides.
The number of kids who drew, 363, is far less than what we've been told
before. The way I read it, about 1000 is the number of new kids who applied, not the number who drew which isn't what I've read.
They're letting them keep them to satisfy that side of the issue. They're also
issuing additional tags and redrawing which will satisfy the other side. I'd thought about that as probably the best solution but I didn't mention it as I never thought they'd do it as they're usually pretty rigid on numbers that way. Considering that they're talking only 363 tags scattered out over hundreds of deer, elk, and antelope hunts, it will make little real difference in the harvest in
any one area.

Yep, well surmised...an obvious area of concern as well is the resource--to me the most important facet.
As you alluded, it isn't likely to affect much.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
From the article:
Finally, for those who asked us to address their concern that the 1000 youth
applicants may have affected their drawing a permit odds in the various
hunts, we will add an additional 363 permits back into each of these deer,
elk and antelope hunts. A draw for those from the age 11 (who will be 12 at
the time of their hunt) and older hunters in the existing applicant pool
will take place for these added in tags to address their understandable
concern.
So, they're playing to both sides.
The number of kids who drew, 363, is far less than what we've been told
before. The way I read it, about 1000 is the number of new kids who applied, not the number who drew which isn't what I've read.
They're letting them keep them to satisfy that side of the issue. They're also
issuing additional tags and redrawing which will satisfy the other side. I'd thought about that as probably the best solution but I didn't mention it as I never thought they'd do it as they're usually pretty rigid on numbers that way. Considering that they're talking only 363 tags scattered out over hundreds of deer, elk, and antelope hunts, it will make little real difference in the harvest in
any one area.

Yep, well surmised...an obvious area of concern as well is the resource--to me the most important facet.
As you alluded, it isn't likely to affect much.

And my 10-year old who followed the rules gets screwed. He couldn't apply for trophy or biggame draws (per IDFG) and patiently waits for the second draw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Bry, make it a life lesson for your kid.
Tell yours that it is noble to play by the rules, whether the system justifies it or not.

This small ID f&g situation is a microcosm of the "takers" in our system. Props to you and your child for doing what is right. I hope a second draw tag awaits for you guys....

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have they said yet when the new drawing will be? It's HIGHLY unlikely that we'll draw for elk as there are 4 in our group. There's not much chance that they'll add 4 bull tags in any unit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, the results will be up by July 10th, so that draw has to be soon.

We put in for cow elk tags, but we aren't on a group tag as a family. We put in individually.
Maybe we'll do some good. But it's doubtful.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Have been up to my eyeballs in work, but glad to hear the concern voiced as well as a reasonable (as possible) outcome. Not perfect, not ideal, but reasonable.

Good luck to all on a possible pickup tag ax well as the second draw.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometime today they're supposed to post what tags they've added along with more info on the draw. There are 316 tags in question but they're only adding 283 tags.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 10-year old laughed at getting his $6.25 fee waived.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so this thread is about some guys who didn't draw and are mad some kids did. all because the fish and game guys screwed up the draw and confused a lot of folks?

or are they hoping a bunch of people could be kicked out of the draw to improve their odds and have a do-over with the draw?

it's clear to everyone that the state screwed up, the only question is who do you screw over? because at this point there is no win-win.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[quote=Colorado1135]so this thread is about some guys who didn't draw and are mad some kids did. all because the fish and game guys screwed up the draw and confused a lot of folks?

LOL nope at least for me, its about following the rules F&G had in the regs. Then all the kids whose parents followed the regs, are the ones who got screwed. If someone can't follow the regs for applying for tags you think they follow them while hunting?

M
Mac7 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

it's clear to everyone that the state screwed up, the only question is who do you screw over? because at this point there is no win-win.

Yep and the parents that can't read screwed up also. The win would have been fixing it before the draw results were released.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Every application had a date of birth on it. All the state would have had to do is flag those applications and disqualify them. Of course we don't know when in the process the error was discovered. The draw might have been over by that time. But still, we're expected to know the regs and it was there, very plain and clear.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colorado, there is no seething here.
This issue isn't about sour grapes, if these other guys here are like me, they know where to kill a good buck or elk without the use of a special tag, Idaho is a great state!
This issue was about rules that were broken and how it was handled.

I'm fortunate to hunt both Alaska and Idaho if I chose.
My son lives in AK and that allows me the opportunity for lots of big game and sheep and goat OTC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope the applicants don't screw up on their taxes. Hear tell the IRS doesn't give a [bleep] if you 'don't understand', 'miss some rule' or 'things aren't clear'.... wink

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But the IRS can discriminate and 'have a hard drive crash' and expect zero accountability.
They can GFT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Every application had a date of birth on it. All the state would have had to do is flag those applications and disqualify them. Of course we don't know when in the process the error was discovered. The draw might have been over by that time. But still, we're expected to know the regs and it was there, very plain and clear.

that is true if all applications were electronic. going through paper apps filled out by hand would take forever.

only remedy I can see are go through and pull all group apps/tags that drew on the first go-round, put them into the second drawing you spoke of and make them available to all that are left. postpone the draw if need be to make it happen. no reason to exclude them all together for the screw up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
that is true if all applications were electronic. going through paper apps filled out by hand would take forever.

only remedy I can see are go through and pull all group apps/tags that drew on the first go-round, put them into the second drawing you spoke of and make them available to all that are left. postpone the draw if need be to make it happen. no reason to exclude them all together for the screw up.
The drawing is done by computer so all the paper apps are data entered by hand anyway.

The 2d chance drawing is a drawing for unclaimed tags and it's open to anyone. Putting the added tags there isn't fair to the the original unsuccessful applicants in the drawing because it adds a lot more competition for a few tags.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gotcha.

here we have 2-3 drawings before left over tags are open to anyone. in a case like that it would work. crappy situation it would seem all around

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho used to have just 1 drawing. The drawing is for a permit to hunt in a particular hunt and you buy the tag separately. They were having a problem with anti's applying for permits but never buying tags or hunting so they decided to force them to at least buy a tag if they drew a permit. They put an Aug 1 deadline on buying the tag. If you don't, your permit is invalidated and they have a 2d drawing in Aug for those unused permits.
The 1st year they had the Aug 1 cutoff was a mess. They posted the list of available permits and sold them on a 1st come 1st served basis starting on a certain day. Vendors all over the state collected the licenses of their buddies and bought them permits before selling any to the general public. Needless to say, the public was furious. The next year they came up with the 2d chance drawing and it's worked very well.

― George Orwell

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.